liverpool fc for life
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2012 @ 01:46 PM
    Status
    Thanks

rolling stones in london

just though i would let any uk fans know that the rolling stones have anouced a outdor gig at hyde park on the 28th august.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

SHEEP PEN Yahweh
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2012 @ 12:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

they announced a gig eight months from now?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

liverpool fc for life
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

yer loads of people have been doing that.

SHEEP PEN Yahweh
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

but without announcing the full tour along with it? is there even a release date for the new album yet?

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-03-2022 @ 07:48 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Fuck that clashes with Reading Fest. when tickets on sale?

liverpool fc for life
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

iv no idea i think pritty soon

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

Originally posted by academic punk
    they announced a gig eight months from now?
    usually they're four-five months ahead, i remember buying Stones tix at Christmas time for an April show.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,297 Times in 4,722 Posts

but without announcing the full tour along with it? is there even a release date for the new album yet?
    It's been the Stones practice as long as I can remember to release the album right about the same time the tour starts. And late August/Early September is usually their timetable too, now that I think about it

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Bridges to Babylon came out a week after the tour started...

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by loss of fools
    just though i would let any uk fans know that the rolling stones have anouced a outdor gig at hyde park on the 28th august.
    Great news, thanks! Hyde Park... it's just gonna be tremendous! It's so wide.
    It sure will be my greatest birthday party!
    Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 01-26-2005 at 08:05 AM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

These dudes must be geting close to playing for 40 years ??

Am I wrong ??

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

they've had a bunch of merch with an "established 1962" tag on it. the Licks tour was supposed to be the 40th anniversary tour.

SHEEP PEN Yahweh
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Panamark
    These dudes must be geting close to playing for 40 years ??

Am I wrong ??

More. the first Stones album came out in '62.

Come to think of it, this year marks 40 years since "Satisfaction" was written, recorded, and released.

Talk about mileage !

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

More. the first Stones album came out in '62.

Come to think of it, this year marks 40 years since "Satisfaction" was written, recorded, and released.

Talk about mileage !
    "England's Newest Hit Makers" was released in 1964. But they started being London's stage craze as soon as 1962. "Money", their first single, was released in 1963. I can't be wrong, I have every single official recording they made, plus about 20 bootlegs. Much harder than having CVH's complete recordings, unfortunately.
    I saw them in Paris in 1990 (Urban Jungle Tour, launched in 1989 in the US as the Steel Wheels Tour), they nearly played for 3 hours... The Bridges to Babylon tour sucked a little, even if I got the album which is rather weak.
    Ronnie Wood stopped drinking and drugs a couple of years ago. The legend had it that his children went to see Mick Jagger to ask him if he could suggest Ronnie to quit boozing and the rest, which he did, successfully. You can hear it on "Live Licks" and "some" boots of the last tour (even the one I have from the very first gigs held in Toronto (Palais Royal)), August 16th, 2002): now he plays the songs as he should, at last.
    I like the guy a lot, but it's obvious that he seems to have lost much of his crafts when he left the great Faces to join the Stones...
    Keith Richards was recently asked if the fact he was the only one to be at least nearly drunk on stage was any problem. He answered that it was "their" (the other Stones's) problem...
    I can see no trouble if Keith is stoned. It's never altered the band's music.
    As for the August 28th Hyde Park gig, I'll be there. They really play hot stuff again. The music is worth it in itself, apart from the big fiesta a Stones concert basically is.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Jérome from Fra

I like the guy a lot, but it's obvious that he seems to have lost much of his crafts when he left the great Faces to join the Stones...
    After listening to the Faces boxset and some early 70's Stones boots this last weekend, I have to agree. I preferred Woody with the Faces and Mick Taylor with the Stones.

I'd love to see both of these bands hit the road one last time, and i'm sure that Mick Taylor will be there when ever the Stones do finally decide it's their last show.

Faces tour would be more problematic. Ronnie Lane's dead, and Rod Stewart might as well be, considering he hasn't made a decent record in 30 years (except his Unplugged album in the early 90's and we all know why that one worked.....)
    Every picture tells a story, indeed....

Wayne L.
    The Stones giving a free concert at Hyde Park again is great but their classic 69 HP performance is bluesy, ballsy & bad ass.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by FORD
    After listening to the Faces boxset and some early 70's Stones boots this last weekend, I have to agree. I preferred Woody with the Faces and Mick Taylor with the Stones.

I'd love to see both of these bands hit the road one last time, and i'm sure that Mick Taylor will be there when ever the Stones do finally decide it's their last show.

Faces tour would be more problematic. Ronnie Lane's dead, and Rod Stewart might as well be, considering he hasn't made a decent record in 30 years (except his Unplugged album in the early 90's and we all know why that one worked.....)
    I agree, totally. The Faces did some damn hot rock 'n' roll.
    I saw Mick Taylor on stage in Lille (north of France) in 1999. It was in a theater that could contain 250 people. We were only 60 there. A shame. He played with great piano player Max Middleton, plus a rhythm guitarist, and of course a (very good) rhythm section. That night, I heard the finest slide guitar I had ever heard.
    From 1975 to 1998, he only released 3 albums, the second being live... What's wrong with him, I think, is he's just too dull a guy to draw most people's attention. I went backstage and just couldn't get a single word from him. He was pissed off with the ridiculously small audience.He's still on heroin, like Charlie Watts also seems to be. I saw him as a really antipathic dude, and thought he just deserved being that unsuccessful. I had a good chat with the rhythm guitarist, a real sympathetic and humorous Indie. He didn't even know if there would be another next gig...
    But man, what a guitar wizard Mick Taylor is! He did so well with the Stones, so what an asshole he must be, quitting them to do the in-the-shade career he did...
    Ronnie Wood may be less brilliant, but I think Keith and his Stones got the one pal when he joined, for sure.

In July, I'm afraid the gigantic concert won't be free... But we can always dream! Anyway, I'm already looking forward to it.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The Stones were like born again these last 3 years, thanks to Mr Wood's renaissance. I was aware of it as soon as I listened to that amazing boot I bought 2 years ago (the guy sold it to me as the first gig of the tour). I really think that, after the 1994-95 and 1997-98 tours during which they'd played pretty average, they've entered some kind of a second "youth".

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And here's the songlist. What's nice with bootlegs are the moments between songs, which are much larger than on official stuff. Mick Jagger is on top shape in there. When he announces Keith's "Happy" in his tongue-in-cheek way (I'm fond of his humor), you hear Riffman answer in a pretended angriness: "Gimme a break, you know!"
    Very earthy...

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

"Stray Cat Blues" is a real gem there. I just didn't expect them to play so well anymore.

SHEEP PEN Yahweh
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

"England's Newest Hit Makers" was released in 1964. But they started being London's stage craze as soon as 1962. "Money", their first single, was released in 1963. I can't be wrong, I have every single official recording they made, plus about 20 bootlegs. Much harder than having CVH's complete recordings, unfortunately.
    I saw them in Paris in 1990 (Urban Jungle Tour, launched in 1989 in the US as the Steel Wheels Tour), they nearly played for 3 hours... The Bridges to Babylon tour sucked a little, even if I got the album which is rather weak.
    Ronnie Wood stopped drinking and drugs a couple of years ago. The legend had it that his children went to see Mick Jagger to ask him if he could suggest Ronnie to quit boozing and the rest, which he did, successfully. You can hear it on "Live Licks" and "some" boots of the last tour (even the one I have from the very first gigs held in Toronto (Palais Royal)), August 16th, 2002): now he plays the songs as he should, at last.
    Keith Richards was recently asked if the fact he was the only one to be at least nearly drunk on stage was any problem. He answered that it was "their" (the other Stones's) problem...
    I can see no trouble if Keith is stoned. It's never altered the band's music.
    As for the August 28th Hyde Park gig, I'll be there. They really play hot stuff again. The music is worth it in itself, apart from the big fiesta a Stones concert basically is.

Ah, but you ARE wrong! The Stones first single was Chuck Berry's "Come On"!

Oh, and BTW, there were widespread reports that Ronnie fell off the wagon this past fall. Supposedly even Keith was annoyed.

SHEEP PEN Yahweh
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The fact that Ronnie Lane is dead shouldn't be a problem. It never stopped the Stones in regards to Brian Jones.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ah, but you ARE wrong! The Stones first single was Chuck Berry's "Come On"!

Oh, and BTW, there were widespread reports that Ronnie fell off the wagon this past fall. Supposedly even Keith was annoyed.
    OK. The Stones's first release in France, in 63, was an EP including 1) "Money"; 2) "Bye bye Johnny"; 3) "You better move on". "Come on" was their first single everywhere else.
    That's sheer hairsplitting, anyway.

Banned
    THE GRATEST™
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-12-2013 @ 08:42 AM
    Status
    Thanks

the stone's along with u2 and dire straits are arguably teh most overrated load of fucking losers in rock history

fucking crap

SHEEP PEN Yahweh
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

OK. The Stones's first release in France, in 63, was an EP including 1) "Money"; 2) "Bye bye Johnny"; 3) "You better move on". "Come on" was their first single everywhere else.
    That's sheer hairsplitting, anyway.

Fact-checking is what makes the world go 'round.

Was "You Better Move on" among the first things released in France???

That song didn't even appear on an album until thier fourth or fifth. Again, I think there's some mistake. Their second single was lennon-Mccartney's "I Wanna Be Your Man".

Jesus, the French can never get anything right.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The fact that Ronnie Lane is dead shouldn't be a problem. It never stopped the Stones in regards to Brian Jones.
    But Brian Jones didn't write and sing half the early Stones catalog. Ronnie Lane did. The last time the Faces did a short set together about a decade or so ago (Soon after the Stewart unplugged album) they drafted Bill Wyman to play bass, but that was easy because they only did a few songs. I don't see them doing an entire set without playing Lane's songs, and they can't have Rod singing them. I guess Woody could, but if you have ever heard Woody singing live, then you know that's not the best idea

SHEEP PEN Yahweh
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

But Brian Jones didn't write and sing half the early Stones catalog. Ronnie Lane did. The last time the Faces did a short set together about a decade or so ago (Soon after the Stewart unplugged album) they drafted Bill Wyman to play bass, but that was easy because they only did a few songs. I don't see them doing an entire set without playing Lane's songs, and they can't have Rod singing them. I guess Woody could, but if you have ever heard Woody singing live, then you know that's not the best idea

Well, first I was kinda joking in re: Brian Jones and the Stones just soldiering on. I guess the joke may have been mpore apparent if I said something like Lynyrd Skynyrd or maybe even The singer from the Outfield joining the Police (and that's GONNA ROCK!!!!).

But in terms of the Stones '69 tour, there were concerns b/c a) Jones was originally considered the leader of the band, and b) how would they manage to play a majority of their recent hits without his contributions on sitar (Paint It, Black), marimba (Under My Thumb), harp (lots of songs), etc. and even stage presence.

So bands can carry on. So long as it's not with Ron Wood singing live, or with a member of the Hooters singing lead.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fact-checking is what makes the world go 'round.

Was "You Better Move on" among the first things released in France???

That song didn't even appear on an album until thier fourth or fifth. Again, I think there's some mistake. Their second single was lennon-Mccartney's "I Wanna Be Your Man".

Jesus, the French can never get anything right.
    How impressive to see you are so smart on the web within 2 seconds. Well, I have the records before my eyes, with the dates I mentioned.
    I'm terribly sorry for my lese-majesty impudence: it seems Your Highness is not keen on being contradicted. And I must praise Your Great Wisdom, that allows you to judge more than 60 million people at a time. You must know France so well and have traveled so much to claim such deep, pertinent thoughts...

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

But I just hope we'll meet there next summer, so that we can bust "a few drinks" and practise that antique sport which consists in comparing the current Stones to what they used to be.
    Cheers!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-06-2006 @ 03:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

for those who have "Live Licks", anyone else disappointed with Rocks Off? That's my favorite stones' song and i found it kinda bland.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by VHII
    for those who have "Live Licks", anyone else disappointed with Rocks Off? That's my favorite stones' song and i found it kinda bland.
    Yeah. I go it, plus everything they did. Mick Jagger sings much better than during the last 20 years, except on that one.
    "Rocks off" is really too slow; it used to be a ferocious track, though.

Thread Information