X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CVHfan
    Roadie
    • Nov 2004

Metallica

The early Metallica was pretty good. My favorite albums are "Master of Puppets" and "The Black Album". But I always thought "The Black Album" was to Metallica what "1984" was to Van Halen. Great albums, but also wound up being the beginning of the end. I did like the S&M stuff, but I did not really like their post-Black material. There were a few decent tunes off of Load and Re-Load. But I was not impressed with St. Anger. Many critics were saying that Metallica should have made that album more like Dream Theater's "Train of Thought" and I agree. Plus, having been on Napster and having been banned by the band when they sued, I am pissed with their business practices.
  • David Lee Rocks
    Sniper
    • Jan 2004

any band that sues their own fans fuckin sucks in my book

Comment

• Mishar_McLeud
      Head Fluffer
      • Apr 2004

Any singer that sues his former bandmates .....
      I didn't say that
      'If there isn't something crazy that goes on in the span of the day then something's not right', - Zakk Wylde

Comment

• Mr Badguy
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I`ve never really been a fan of Metallica.

Never cared for their songs or their sound.

They sold out first chance they got.

Slayer have lived in their shadow and they are the superior band.
        sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Soul Reaper
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2005

Metallica were brilliant until Load. Master of Puppets was perfect. Suing their fans was a very bad idea and gave gone right down since then... probably.
          ROTH ARMY YOUTUBE CHANNEL:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=RothArmyVideos

"May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face." - Frank Zappa to Tipper Gore

Comment

• loss of fools
            Head Fluffer
            • Oct 2004

Metallica suck big time.

Comment

• Panamark
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Kill em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, Justice and Black.
              Plus Garage Days revisited Double CD.

Dont waste your money on the rest..

Those first albums were fucking cool, and I think they were innovative.
              A lot of that stringwork that James did, along with the metal rhythms
              and dual guitar symphonies (Call of Ktulu, Orion etc) were great.
              They created a unique sound that has been copied many times
              over.

Ive seen them live several times and was never dissapointed.
              I agree that they sucked after Black.

(And the whole Lars Napster thing sucked too)

But in their day, they were cool !
              BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Rikk
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

I love METALLICA. I also have to say that recently, I've re-listened to LOAD and RELOAD and realized how many good songs are on them. They are truly under-rated.

I picked up the SOME KIND OF MONSTER documentary on Tuesday, and I have to say that it's one of the most brilliant documentaries about a band I've ever seen. It also makes you realize that these guys are human and have made mistakes. Even you non-fans out there, go rent this flick. It's a brilliant film about a band falling apart.
                Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• EbDawson
                  Veteran
                  • Apr 2004

Ride the Lightning is a bad ass album! Can't listen to any of their newer stuff (Post-1990). It's a shame Kirk Hammett forgot how to play a solo.
                  "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

• Panamark
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Im not sure Kirk forgot how to play, or whether they (or the producers) decided to drop solos. (BAD MOVE !) Kirk still plays those solos live.
                    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• EbDawson
                      Veteran
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
                      Im not sure Kirk forgot how to play, or whether they (or the producers) decided to drop solos.
                      It's probably all Bob Rock's fault. Hammet's no Mustaine on the guitar, still there's some good guitar work on the earlier albums.
                      "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

• Rikk
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

In the film, they show the band making a conscious decision to drop the solos (and Kirk is actually the one that feels they should keep the solos). Seriously, some of his solo work on LOAD and RELOAD demonstrates that the man can still really play and write interesting solos...even if he's not doing the shredding thing anymore (which frankly is a style I'm tired of). It seems more like he's extended his playing from solos like the slower solos in ONE, etc.
                        Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                        Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Full Bug
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
                          Kill em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, Justice and Black.
                          Plus Garage Days revisited Double CD.
                          Dont waste your money on the rest..
                          Those first albums were fucking cool, and I think they were innovative.
                          A lot of that stringwork that James did, along with the metal rhythms
                          and dual guitar symphonies (Call of Ktulu, Orion etc) were great.
                          They created a unique sound that has been copied many times
                          over.
                          Ive seen them live several times and was never dissapointed.
                          I agree that they sucked after Black.
                          (And the whole Lars Napster thing sucked too)
                          But in their day, they were cool !
                          What the down under freak said....
                          They used to be a band that started their following through underground ways, bootlegs, word of mouth, ect, and they ended up a band they were rebelling against, I lost all respect for them years ago...
                          Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• DLR7884
                            ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by EbDawson
                            It's probably all Bob Rock's fault. Hammet's no Mustaine on the guitar, still there's some good guitar work on the earlier albums.
                            Bob Rock ruins careers.

See....
                            David Lee Roth - ALAE
                            Motley Crue - Dr Feelgood
                            Metallica- Black Album

Great albums that got the best out of the musician only to leave the band(s) in shambles.

DLR7884
                            It's the truth.
                            Originally Posted by WARF:
                            DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

• DLR7884
                              ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Metallica didn't exist after the Black Album.

DLR7884
                              Some other dicks with short hair stole their name and some of their sound.
                              Originally Posted by WARF:
                              DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

Working...