Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2011 @ 11:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Unhappy The CD will soon disappear

So I heard a DJ on this country station saying CDs will be gone soon just like cassettes and vinyl. They will be replaced with the Ipod.
    I sure hope that doesn't happen. I love my little setup. I love the tape player that comes with it. I love how everything doesn't have to be computerized.
    Newer isn't necessarily better. In fact, there is old-fashioned technology I actually miss. I miss my 5 band graphic equalizer that came with old radios back when CD players were sold separately and were attached to analog tape players.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

11/13/07
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-30-2010 @ 09:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

They won't go completely away. Vinyl records are still made and sold. Cassettes are still made and sold.

But personally, I want an ipod so bad.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

liverpool fc for life
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2012 @ 01:46 PM
    Status
    Thanks

i cant see anything like that happening for a long long time.

SHEEP PEN Yahweh
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2012 @ 12:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I think too many people have made too much investment in their stereos and CDs for the CD to vanish anytime soon.

But the ipod IS an amazing piece of technology, very convenient, so yeah, the CD will one day go the way of the 8-track.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:40 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

IPod is a good replacement for the Walkman. It's NOT a good replacement for a real stereo and a record/CD collection.

An IPod is based on a hard drive, and hard drives occasionally die. Oops, there goes your entire music collection. Besides, paying for Mp3's is insane anyway.

spiralmind
    Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    10-28-2012 @ 03:01 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    nah. the iPOD will replace the walkman; CDs are where the mp3s will come from.

®oth A®my f®an©hise ?laya
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2011 @ 11:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Question

Originally posted by FORD
    An IPod is based on a hard drive, and hard drives occasionally die. Oops, there goes your entire music collection.
    Yes, but will the next generation know that based on the Ipod craze these days?

11/13/07
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-30-2010 @ 09:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Steve Savicki
    Yes, but will the next generation know that based on the Ipod craze these days?
    Know what? That harddrives crash? Probably.

I don't know exactly how itunes works, but I know my friends keeps a compy of songs she has on her ipod on her computer. But, I'm pretty sure most of thsoe songs didn't come from itunes because she had them beforehand.

The Cosmic Shame
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-06-2010 @ 12:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I think that the next decade or so will bring the end of the cd, which I think really sucks for two reasons.

Reason 1. (I'm going to crib a bit from an Entertainment Weekly article from a couple of weeks ago here, but it's a sentiment I've felt for a long time anyway). iTunes has created a new way of listening to music - not only by giving users the ability to download certain songs, but also by allowing (in fact, encouraging) listeners to create random mixes of their song library.

On the first point, one can argue that this simply gives the consumer the opportunity to avoid the filler that exists on most albums. This is certainly true. Pop music in particular is rampant with cd's that contain only 20 - 30% quality music. Ok, fine, but I'm not sure that this is the cure to "singleitis" in the record industry.

The second point is, to me, more troublesome. Excepting greatest hits and singles packages, a lot of thought is put into the track listing on an album. Albums are (in the hands of thoughtful artists) crafted much like a film, play, or novel - they have ebbs and flows, highs and lows, tempo changes, etc.

By encouraging listeners to shuffle their song librarys it removes songs from their natural context. Instead of, say Eruption going right into You Really Got Me, you instead get Eruption flowing right into Baby Got Back. Want more? Both the CD and I-tunes count Intruder as a separate track form Pretty Woman... Therefore they won't ever shuffle together (ok, I suppose some mathematician might calculate the odds of them shuffling back to back but they'd be pretty long odds). Same with Little Guitars and its Intro.

Think of your favorite albums. Wouldn't you be thrown off by a different track listing. At first you might think it's just because you're used to hearing it one way, but I would lay odds that you wouldn't think of the album or it's component songs in the same way with this new track listing.

Reason 2: I will mourn the death of CD's just like I mourned the loss of albums for a simple reason: packaging. I love CD packaging. I love booklets, lyrics, photos. It creates a feel for the entire album. From the stark photos in The Joshua Tree to the vignettes inside VHII. It creates a headspace that brings you into the album.

I saw a Cribs a few weeks ago with the guy from Godsmack. In it he talked about how one picture from the inside of Aerosmith Live Bootleg made him want to be a rock star. I can totally understand that. How many of you haven't done that? Who here hasn't looked at the pictures inside Diver Down, or Appetite For Destruction, or the first Jane's Addiction album not just once or twice, but nearly every damn time you played the album!

When I get a new disk I read every word on it. I read the copyright info, the lyrics, the thank yous, the endorsements, everything. Do you care who played the pedal steal on "One"? I do. It's stupid, but it gives me a richer understanding of the music. From Moby's essays to DLR's drawings to U2's photos, it all adds to the texture of the album.

This, for me, is the major failing of iTunes. It's the same music it's just that it feels somehow less legitimate when it's missing it's original packaging.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    05-21-2013 @ 07:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It wont be an iPod to replace the CD because computers use a CD drivetray, and can play on a DVD player.

Smartcards might succeed the CD though, because they can include a start-sequence before playing, so you could encrypt them from being copied as easily as one can rip a CD.

I like my chocolate milk.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:45 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,580 Times in 3,459 Posts

I think this new DVD format will replace CD's 'cause CD's sound like shit! So do the MP3, ACC, & Bit Torrent files.
    www.blu-ray.com/info/
    i-pod's can't play movies too, can they?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:40 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    I think this new DVD format will replace CD's 'cause CD's sound like shit! So do the MP3, ACC, & Bit Torrent files.
    www.blu-ray.com/info/
    i-pod's can't play movies too, can they?
    No, but the price on portable DVD players has dropped like a rock.

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-19-2021 @ 04:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I don't know 'bout y'all, but I'll be listening to my vinyls/CDs years from today.

And just for the hell of it, I ain't gettin' no god damn iPod.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by fe_lung
    I think that the next decade or so will bring the end of the cd, which I think really sucks for two reasons.

Reason 1. (I'm going to crib a bit from an Entertainment Weekly article from a couple of weeks ago here, but it's a sentiment I've felt for a long time anyway). iTunes has created a new way of listening to music - not only by giving users the ability to download certain songs, but also by allowing (in fact, encouraging) listeners to create random mixes of their song library.

On the first point, one can argue that this simply gives the consumer the opportunity to avoid the filler that exists on most albums. This is certainly true. Pop music in particular is rampant with cd's that contain only 20 - 30% quality music. Ok, fine, but I'm not sure that this is the cure to "singleitis" in the record industry.

The second point is, to me, more troublesome. Excepting greatest hits and singles packages, a lot of thought is put into the track listing on an album. Albums are (in the hands of thoughtful artists) crafted much like a film, play, or novel - they have ebbs and flows, highs and lows, tempo changes, etc.

By encouraging listeners to shuffle their song librarys it removes songs from their natural context. Instead of, say Eruption going right into You Really Got Me, you instead get Eruption flowing right into Baby Got Back. Want more? Both the CD and I-tunes count Intruder as a separate track form Pretty Woman... Therefore they won't ever shuffle together (ok, I suppose some mathematician might calculate the odds of them shuffling back to back but they'd be pretty long odds). Same with Little Guitars and its Intro.

Think of your favorite albums. Wouldn't you be thrown off by a different track listing. At first you might think it's just because you're used to hearing it one way, but I would lay odds that you wouldn't think of the album or it's component songs in the same way with this new track listing.

Reason 2: I will mourn the death of CD's just like I mourned the loss of albums for a simple reason: packaging. I love CD packaging. I love booklets, lyrics, photos. It creates a feel for the entire album. From the stark photos in The Joshua Tree to the vignettes inside VHII. It creates a headspace that brings you into the album.

I saw a Cribs a few weeks ago with the guy from Godsmack. In it he talked about how one picture from the inside of Aerosmith Live Bootleg made him want to be a rock star. I can totally understand that. How many of you haven't done that? Who here hasn't looked at the pictures inside Diver Down, or Appetite For Destruction, or the first Jane's Addiction album not just once or twice, but nearly every damn time you played the album!

When I get a new disk I read every word on it. I read the copyright info, the lyrics, the thank yous, the endorsements, everything. Do you care who played the pedal steal on "One"? I do. It's stupid, but it gives me a richer understanding of the music. From Moby's essays to DLR's drawings to U2's photos, it all adds to the texture of the album.

This, for me, is the major failing of iTunes. It's the same music it's just that it feels somehow less legitimate when it's missing it's original packaging.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
    Great Post !

Thread Information