Thread: Is Classic Van Halen Slowly Disappearing from the Airwaves?

Wolverine

Is Classic Van Halen Slowly Disappearing from the Airwaves?

do you guys notice for years you heard at least 25 different CVH tunes through the years on the radio and nowadays you hear maybe 4 or 5 of the same CVH tunes...JUMP,PAMANA DTNA,YRGM,RWD
    This shouldn't be happening...nothing like blasting atomic punk,doa,full bug,light up the sky,cradle,unchained,ice cream man,so this is love,beautiful girls,etc when it came on the radio!!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-20-2023 @ 05:14 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The Buzzsaw on Serius Radio fully represents classic Van Halen.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lou
    I've noticed this happening with quite a few bands. Less than 10 years ago they'd play more than just 4 or 5 songs from bands like VH, The Police, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, The Who, etc. But it's REALLY gotten bad. I wonder, if I were 15 years old now like I was in 1997, would I be into VH? I'd only hear the same fuckin' 4 songs over and over. Whereas at least in 1997 they were still playing stuff like "Beautiful Girls," "Take Your Whiskey Home," "Drop Dead Legs," "Mean Street," "So This Is Love?" etc. etc.

lms2
    Around these parts we are finaly getting some radio stations that play classic rock at all... and not just whatever the top 40 happens to be, So in my case, no, its not disappearing, its making a comeback!

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    02-21-2005 @ 01:44 AM
    Status
    Thanks

It is because of Clear Channel. The radio is being homogenized and AOR has pretty much disappeared from the airwaves. Top 40 is dominant playing the same songs over and over and over. Just about all the radio stations are guilty of this. Classic Rock stations are nearly that bad.

Lou
    The thing is, not one of the four rock stations in Philadelphia are Clear Channel though. Two are owned by Greater Media (a smaller company that has stations in Philly and Boston), one is Infinity and the other is Nassau Broadcasting which operates in New Jersey.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    02-21-2005 @ 01:44 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Just about all the Rock stations in Denver are owned by Clear Channel. THey are not the only culprit, but it is the same basic concept.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

DETROIT radio represents CLASSIC VAN HALEN. I just heard "Bottoms UP" at lunch time the other day!!!

On the other hand, I almost NEVER hear van hagar on the radio here.

Precious
    Veteran

Member No
    Last Online
    05-30-2005 @ 01:10 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I have heard more CVH in the Boston area lately and dig when the jocks say "Van Halen as it should be with DLR". This was just said today!

I heard MWM a week or so ago on the air. very cool.

Medium Pimpin
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    03-10-2013 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I remember in 97 in JAX they played the hell outta MWM and Blue On Black.................... I know that one isn't VH. But it always seemed to follow MWM.

Now, I still hear CVH daily. In Va Bch, 100.5 plays alot of it. But, they are obligated to play one or two Hagar songs too. I don't hear those two daily though. They only play them once a week or so and usually its "Finish your abortion" and "Sorry you bruised my ass Black And Blue". That other clear channel station here plays the same 8 fucking songs around the clock. LITERALLY!!! I'm glad 100.5 came to town cause if I had to hear CREED again twice in an hour I was gonna go buy me an assault rifle and camp out in their lobby and asked the cops whose side they took in the split.

Oh, I work late nights so we get "Bottoms Up", "Beautiful Girls", "Pretty Woman", "ATBL", "RWD", "Panama", "Jump", "I'll Wait" occasionally as well. And interestingly enough they'll actually play "Mean Streets", "Unchained", "Hot For Teacher", "Jamie's Cryin", hell, you name it and they play it. Of course, I'm not up during the day so I don't know about what they play then.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-31-2015 @ 07:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

DLR era VH is still played regularly in my neck of the woods. Just heard "Feel Your Love Tonight" and "Drop Dead Legs" yesterday. Very rarely here any Van Hagar though.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-17-2023 @ 02:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Up in Syracuse 95x plays almost exclusive Roth era VH. On any given day, you could hear:

RWTD
    You really got me
    aint talkin bout love
    ice cream man
    on fire
    DTNA
    beautiful girls
    ATCWR
    everybody wants some
    romeo delight
    mean street
    hear about it later
    unchained
    so this is love
    pretty women
    dancing in the streets
    the full bug
    jump
    panama
    hot for teacher
    I'll wait

the only hagar is dreams or runaround....rarely!

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

ATCWR, just came on!

Lou
    I have never heard "Bottoms Up" on the radio.

Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-13-2024 @ 10:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Alive and well here...thank God!

The music programmer is a huge CVH fan.

Wolverine
    in nyc q104.3 play the common CVH tunes, you will never hear "take your whiskey home" or "mean streets".....wdha in jersey will put some obscure CVH tunes on occassion but they play van hagar as well so they loose points there!!!!

Your Own Personal Satan
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-06-2021 @ 02:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by The Godfather
    in nyc q104.3 play the common CVH tunes, you will never hear "take your whiskey home" or "mean streets".....wdha in jersey will put some obscure CVH tunes on occassion but they play van hagar as well so they loose points there!!!!
    Fucking Q104.3! If I hear fucking "Captain Jack" or "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" one more God damn time......

Not that there's too many classic rock stations who have more than about 200 songs that make up 99.99% of what you hear. Same shit all the time.

I mostly listen to K-Rock during the day. They have a small rotation too, but at least the rotation actually changes from time to time. And they play 80's-90's stuff during lunch.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So far today:

ATCWR- 10:10 am
    JUMP- noon
    HFT- 2:15pm
    YRGM- 4:05pm

The Cosmic Shame
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-06-2010 @ 12:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lou
    [B]I've noticed this happening with quite a few bands. Less than 10 years ago they'd play more than just 4 or 5 songs from bands like VH, The Police, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, The Who, etc. But it's REALLY gotten bad.

That's because so many more artists are now classified as "classic rock". Any band that's been around since before 1997 or so is now "classic". Ten years ago classic rock ran from about '66 to '81 or so with a couple of big names like Springsteen or VH thrown in. Now U2 (and every U2 knock off like Live) are classic rock. So it crap like Train, 3 Doors Down, and Macthbox 20. If you're not tattooed and pierced, your classic. With so many artists to pull from, your lucky to get 5 classic VH songs. In another couple of years it'll be Jump and Panama (and maybe Hot For Teacher once a month) and that's it.

liverpool fc for life
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2012 @ 01:46 PM
    Status
    Thanks

over hear there is barly any classic rock stations. theres barly and rock stations. all we got is pop and rap.

Let the Glory be to god.
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    10-21-2005 @ 05:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

no classic van halen will never die across airwaves in my town you can here it played on the radio along with dave's solo stuff.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2015 @ 08:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

In South Oz the only CVH I hear these days on the radio is Jump, and rarely, You Really Got Me. Everytime I turn the radio on I'll hear Jump at some point. It's been a long, long time since I heard Panama or anything else. MWM got some airplay back in 1996.

This might surprise some people, but Dave's solo trio of California Girls, Just Like Paradise and Just a Gigolo get far more airplay than CVH down here. I hear at least one of these tunes every week.

Never heard any of the new Van Hagar tracks and the older Van Hagar stuff is very rarely played now. Never once heard a Sammy solo song on our radio.

Got it bad...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2020 @ 12:27 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Stations survey the listeners and play the ones that test the best with their audience to have the most generic guaranteed hit list.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

The CC rock station here is 96 schlock. They recently switched to calling it "Atlanta's classic rock" because the prior classic rock station switched from calling itself "Z93" to "Dave FM."

I shit you not.

"Dave FM" is an all-encompassing, self-acclaimed, "just cool rock" station, and can be good at times, like following a Zep song with Audioslave or Queens Of The Stone Age or something. It's also just as likely to bust out Kajadoodoo followed by some 10,000 Lamiacs.

Anyway, 96 Rock never really changed, as they always stuck with a pretty much "rock" format that still includes "Panama", "Hot For Teacher", "RWTD", "Jamies Cryin'", etc. Classic VH dominates over the occasional dreams or why can't this be love horseshit.

The Last in Line
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    04-10-2005 @ 02:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks

They play a lot of Van Hagar on NPR

Dumpwaffen SS
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Lou
    I have never heard "Bottoms Up" on the radio.

get laid, lou

I've returned
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-15-2012 @ 02:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    I notice that the only songs that they are playing are Dreams and Why Can't this be love from that toilet album 5150

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2007 @ 11:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by fe_lung

That's because so many more artists are now classified as "classic rock". Any band that's been around since before 1997 or so is now "classic". Ten years ago classic rock ran from about '66 to '81 or so with a couple of big names like Springsteen or VH thrown in. Now U2 (and every U2 knock off like Live) are classic rock. So it crap like Train, 3 Doors Down, and Macthbox 20. If you're not tattooed and pierced, your classic. With so many artists to pull from, your lucky to get 5 classic VH songs. In another couple of years it'll be Jump and Panama (and maybe Hot For Teacher once a month) and that's it.
    You took the words right out of my mouth. I'm getting fucking sick and tired of hearing Nirvana and Pearl Jam on "classic" rock radio, which is not where it belongs, at all. Personally, I can't stand either of those bands, but if you like them, then that's your thing. But they have no place on the same radio station where CVH gets played. It's really an insult to good musicians (like VH circa 1981) when you play a song like "Unchained" and follow it up with "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

And there are plenty of others being robbed of airplay time with CVH. Alice Cooper seems to be the one who gets dissed the most around here (97.9 WLUP in Chicago), they only play a couple of his early 70's songs with any regularity (Mostly "School's Out" and "Elected"), disregarding the fact that he's put out many good albums since then. He had some pretty popular hits in the mid to late late 80s but those don't get any airplay. From what you hear on the radio you'd think he made a couple novelty songs in the early 70s and hasn't done anything since. If they want to play new music, that's fine, but they shouldn't call it "classic rock" unless it's coming from bands that are from the classic rock era.

Who rules? I DO.
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2021 @ 04:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'd just like to say that here in NYC, I NEVER hear VanHagar, but ALWAYS here CVH. And I'd like to give hope to everyone by saying, that the local stations play more than just a coupla tunes, they hit me "D.O.A." 2 weeks back, "Unchained" the other day, and even "I'll Wait" within the last month. Nice variety, and all Dave all Night...

ROTH ARMY RECLUSE
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-15-2010 @ 10:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks

the only song besides the usuals that gets played here in s. florida is "i'll wait" and occasionally "beautiful girls"

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,504 Posts

Blog Entries
    Nah. In the Tampa area, would regularly hear the following:

Drop Dead Legs
    DOA
    So This Is Love
    Take Your Whiskey Home

along with all the other usual suspects (Jump, Pretty Woman, various cuts from the first album, etc.).

Think it depends what part of the country you're in.

Am definitely hearing more CVH than Van Hagar, including the 2004 concert promos (which, interestingly enough, were 80% + CVH)

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    05-26-2015 @ 05:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Even though most of the classic rock jockies here gush about Hagar at times, they almost NEVER play Van Hagar and still constantly play CVH. Every album is represented too(Just recently heard "Where have all the good times gone........).

Thread Information