X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UGS
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2005

Ted Templeman

How much credit should Ted Templeman actually get for the CVH sound? Besides being responsible for Warner signing them, of course. Did he simply record the band doing their thing, or was there more of a traditional "producer role" going on?

Obviously it's not all him, citing the muddy production on FUCK, but at the same time, 1984 was largely an Ed and Donn Landee effort, and we all know how great that turned out.

EEAS was great, so can we conclude that the combo of Ted and Dave is the real magic?

The only real mention (that I've come across) of him doing much is when he told Dave to go smoke a joint and eat a hamburger because he wasn't singing like his usual self during VHI.
    Keep on Rothing in the Free World
  • ThatArtGuy
    Foot Soldier
    • Jan 2004

Well, Ted Templeman also produced Aerosmith's "Done With Mirrors" album. From what I've gathered was that he would just tape them while they were rehearsing and told them that it was already done when they were ready to go.

Ted probably was good for suggestions, but I'm not sure about real input.
    I brought my pencil!!!

Comment

• BrownSound1
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Mar 2003

I think Ted Templeman really helped them in the vocal arrangements, and as someone to crack the whip on the band to get them motivated. I'm sure he had input on the sound...as in his idea to put Ed's guitar on one side by itself, but I would attest more of the sound to Don Landee. The only thing I wish Landee would have done differently is boosted the bass guitar up more...it is pretty lacking on most of those albums. The Van Hagar album FUCK was muddy because suddenly those bastard decided they needed more bass..so they got Andy Johns who went a little over the top with it.

Comment

• katie
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Nov 2004

I heard a story that Eddie originally wanted his guitar in the left speaker because he was really into The Whos live LP 'Live At Leeds' and thought because they did........

Comment

• katie
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ThatArtGuy
          Well, Ted Templeman also produced Aerosmith's "Done With Mirrors" album. From what I've gathered was that he would just tape them while they were rehearsing and told them that it was already done when they were ready to go.

Ted probably was good for suggestions, but I'm not sure about real input.
          That *Done With Mirrors* Cd does sound a bit *Dry* in the mix.
          I liked Ted and his work for VH - I doubt if we will ever know what he actually did, but it WORKED!.

I thought his best work was 1st - WACF - FW & 3/4 of 1984 as the last two tracks are mixed terrible. I blame Eddie for this as he kept people away etc and i feel these may have been rushed.

Does Ted have any internet presence at all?
          I would love to read an interview with him.
          I bet he could tell us some stories!

Comment

• Dave's Dradle
            Roadie
            • Mar 2004

Ted must be atleast decent, listen to the difference between EEAS and Skyscraper. If Ted is involved in Skyscraper it doesn't sound like 80's pop crap from a first time producer. If so, maybe Sheehan doesn't get pissed off and leave, etc, etc. Just a thought.

Comment

• danielc
              Head Fluffer
              • Apr 2004

After listening to the demos with Gene Simmons producing and then listening to those same songs after Ted produced them I'd say he should get significant credit. I know the other was just a demo but the actual album version sounds a hell of a lot better. Of course this is just my opinion.
              http://classicvanhalen.com/photopost...o=3712&cat=528

Comment

• DLR7884
                ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Ted Templeman is dead I think.

DLR7884
                I think....
                Originally Posted by WARF:
                DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

• RogueHorseman
                  Commando
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by danielc
                  After listening to the demos with Gene Simmons producing and then listening to those same songs after Ted produced them I'd say he should get significant credit...
                  We have a winner, ladies and gentlemen!
                  <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Comment

• academic punk
                    Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Ted deserves credit for letting the artists he produced find their OWN voices and expression.

In his day, Ted produced everyone from The Doobie Brothers, Van Morrison, Nicollette Larson, and of course, classic VH.

That's a diverse crowd. And they were all monstrously successful, both artistically and commercially.

He knew how to get the best out of his artists, and also guide them as people.

There's the famous story while recording the first album of Dave reading some article about some guy making fifty million dollars and dave enviously commenting, "Man, you can buy anything with that kind of money."

Instead of doing what someone who is making piints on the album woudl typically say, "Yeah, well, you're gonna make that kind of money. whaddya want? name anything, it's yours. Just record this crappy tune and act like pat boone and it's yours." ted told him, "No, Dave, you can't buy happiness."

Dave stopped and considered it for a moment. "Well, maybe not," he eventually retorted, "but you can buy a boat big enough to sail right up next to it!"

Comment

• katie
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Nov 2004

Or whoever said money can't buy you happiness did not know where to go shopping!

Comment

• Big Troubles
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Dave's Dradle
                        Ted must be atleast decent, listen to the difference between EEAS and Skyscraper. If Ted is involved in Skyscraper it doesn't sound like 80's pop crap from a first time producer. If so, maybe Sheehan doesn't get pissed off and leave, etc, etc. Just a thought.
                        Ted stopped producing when Dave released Skyscraper and coincidently Dave's career and fan base got low.( EEAS 2Million sold, Skyscraper-1Million and down from there) My question is, What was the reason Dave and Ted split to begin with? Did Ted just retire or was there a falling out between the two?
                        "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

seems like dave was a bit too "bossy" in the skyscraper days and a bit too "know-it-all-and-can-do-it-all"...but that's the trouble with self improvement...
                          Roth Army Icon
                          First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Big Troubles
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Feb 2004

"FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• academic punk
                              Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Dave was thinking he wantesd to realize his own artistic vision more fully. Like Prince, he wanted to produce his own music.

I assume Ted also shook his head at dav'e choice of/shift in musical direction, so there again was a hurdle.

BTW - Ted produced Van Hagar's FUCK, as well as the bullet boys, so he hadn't retired after EEAS.

Comment

Working...