!
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    02-05-2011 @ 04:04 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Me Wise Magic lyrics

I read in an interview with Ed a while ago saying that at first Dave didn't want to sing the line "I know what you're thinking" because it seemed kind of evil, and he wanted to be percieved as nice-friendly-Dave. It's pretty clear that Dave wrote the words for Can't get this Stuff No More, as it reeks of Roth, but how much of MWM did Dave write? Lyrically, it doesn't seem as Roth-esque as CGTSNM. Not enough hidden meanings (or maybe it's so hidden, I missed it). Magic was one of the ones that was already written prior to Dave showing up at 5150, so would that have included the lyrics? And where does Desmond "I produced the first Hanson CD" Childs fit it? Did they fire him without using any of his contributions?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Dave would have had a big say in the lyrics. THe end result, no matter
    how it came to be, is prophetic, just like CGTSNM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    06-20-2007 @ 09:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Me Wise Magic

-Last Great Van Halen song

-Got a speeding ticket in '96 while driving/listening to it on the radio...just days prior/or after it was released

!
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Nice man!

This song rocks so hard! It really proves Ed still has some fire left in him.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-28-2018 @ 01:46 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by wombattt
    Me Wise Magic

-Last Great Van Halen song

-Got a speeding ticket in '96 while driving/listening to it on the radio...just days prior/or after it was released
    Wombatt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,491 Posts

Blog Entries
    Can see where some of the lyrics in MWM might not have been Dave's. Think the second verse and bridge lyrics are definitely his. The first verse is simplistic enough to have been written by anybody.

Was never a big fan of Desmond Childs and Glen(n) Ballard to begin with, so it was kinda disconcerting to hear reports at the time that Roth and Van Halen were working with them, although just the simple fact that they were in the studio together overshadowed any misgivings.

CGTSNM was Roth's all the way, agreed.

They were really a couple of great tracks. Just listening to those made it that much more of a bummer when the reunion turned out to be short lived; even if it had taken the reunited CVH until summer 1997 to put out a full-length album and rehearse enough go on tour (referring to AVH's assertion that it took forever to get a vocal out of Roth in 1996), it would have been worth it.

Both those tracks are very 1984-esque to me, in composition and engineering-wise.

!
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Terry
    Can see where some of the lyrics in MWM might not have been Dave's. Think the second verse and bridge lyrics are definitely his. The first verse is simplistic enough to have been written by anybody.

Was never a big fan of Desmond Childs and Glen(n) Ballard to begin with, so it was kinda disconcerting to hear reports at the time that Roth and Van Halen were working with them, although just the simple fact that they were in the studio together overshadowed any misgivings.

CGTSNM was Roth's all the way, agreed.

They were really a couple of great tracks. Just listening to those made it that much more of a bummer when the reunion turned out to be short lived; even if it had taken the reunited CVH until summer 1997 to put out a full-length album and rehearse enough go on tour (referring to AVH's assertion that it took forever to get a vocal out of Roth in 1996), it would have been worth it.

Both those tracks are very 1984-esque to me, in composition and engineering-wise.
    Good call about the first verse. . ."I know what you're thinking". . .pretty simple. And you're right, the "little zen comin' your way/halfway down the interstate/Buddhist riff/who are you & where are we/ I feel you agreein'" etc.-- all those bits, and more, reek of Dave's input.

I agree with you on CGTSNM fitting right into 1984, but I've always looked at MWM as instrumentally and structuraly a Van Hagar song that Dave saved from obscurity/sucking and made it SPECTACULAR.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,491 Posts

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by UGS
    Good call about the first verse. . ."I know what you're thinking". . .pretty simple. And you're right, the "little zen comin' your way/halfway down the interstate/Buddhist riff/who are you & where are we/ I feel you agreein'" etc.-- all those bits, and more, reek of Dave's input.

I agree with you on CGTSNM fitting right into 1984, but I've always looked at MWM as instrumentally and structuraly a Van Hagar song that Dave saved from obscurity/sucking and made it SPECTACULAR.
    Lot of people think that the music to MWM is very Van Hagarish. Guess I can hear it a little bit, although I have the blinders on with any Halen music once Roth sings on it; can't imagine anyone else doing the vocals. Recall Hagar saying he had taken a stab at MWM before being ousted in 1996, and (naturally, according to Sam) the Van Hagar treatment blew away what CVH ended up doing with it.

SHEEP PEN Yahweh
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2012 @ 12:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Neither of those songs have ever blown me away, and have always reeked of Van Hagar to me.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

The "I know what you're thinking" line is definietly NOT Dave.

Even the line "I have those same dreams" was probably not by Dave either.

Remember, as someone posted, gay-ass Desmond Child was brought in by Eddie to write some lyrics.

Although I think most of the lyrics are indeed Dave -- "A lttle zen headed your way, you'll get it, halfway down the interstate.."

CGTSNM is ALL Dave.

That one for sure.

SHEEP PEN GUNTKEEPER
    Veteran

Member No
    Last Online
    10-17-2005 @ 06:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Sam did take a crack at MWM. I remember reading it back in 97 - can't recall the publication - but Terry's right - Sam had the first shot at that one.

CGTSNM was by far my favorite from BOV1. Loved what Dave did with those lyrics and how they turned out to be prophetic.

Warham your avatar kicks ass bro!

Beer Drinker&Hell Raiser
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-29-2023 @ 11:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I can remember reading Spammy saying that he liked the music for MWM, that it was too bad because he "would've liked to have torn that shit up."

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-10-2024 @ 10:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm sure Dave took Child's lyrical abortion and turned it into the classic it is.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-10-2009 @ 09:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks

check CFTH he writes about Demond Childs being brought in, but made it prett clear that he wasn't interested in using any of it.

Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2014 @ 08:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I distinctly remember Edward saying that Dave would not sing the lyrics they had written for those songs. He said, "you can't write for Dave, its gotta come from him."

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-10-2012 @ 06:38 PM
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by degüello
    I can remember reading Spammy saying that he liked the music for MWM, that it was too bad because he "would've liked to have torn that shit up."
    funny I remember Sammy saying MWM was a throw away song from Balance and some of that music was written by him. Sam threatened to sue and wound up with a $25,000 pay check settled out of court. Sam said there was a reason why the song was on the cutting room floor.

Personally, I love BOTH CGTSNM and MWM and Dave did those two tunes the justice little Samuel couldn't.

!
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Big Troubles
    Sam said there was a reason why the song was on the cutting room floor.
    Why do I have a feeling that Sam WAS the reason?

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Big Troubles
    funny I remember Sammy saying MWM was a throw away song from Balance and some of that music was written by him. Sam threatened to sue and wound up with a $25,000 pay check settled out of court.
    that was CGTSNM...that was the balance leftover...

and ed admitted that "you can't write for dave". the sisters used the recording sessions to put the thumb on dave and his lyrics. "we want simple lyrics that anybody could sing" and shit like that. both ed and al demanded rewrites without even knowing or understanding what dave was singing about. I guess, it was just to show the muscles and to show who is in the leading position in the VH crew....some kind of bitter revenge...

I like them both even if they are not really CVH it was a hint of what we could have got instead of "how many say I"

Crazy Ass Mofo

Member No
    Last Online
    05-06-2023 @ 04:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
    gay-ass Desmond Child was brought in by Eddie to write some lyrics.

He is gay. for real

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by pete
    He is gay. for real
    best thing is that he wrote so many hits for others like KI$$, Bon Jovi and on and on...and when he made a record with his own name on it he couldn't sell it at all...

and he was "recycling" his old songs like bonnie tyler's "if you were a woman and I was a man" for bon jovi's "you give love a bad name"...good company...cheese meets cheese...no wonder dave refused to work with that fucker...

Crazy Ass Mofo

Member No
    Last Online
    05-06-2023 @ 04:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I met him in Miami and I can tell you him and Ricky Martin are flaming fags.

!
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He produced and wrote the first Hanson CD from the mid 90s. Is this alone not a testament to him having no business in the same zip code as a reunited Van Halen?

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by UGS
    He produced and wrote the first Hanson CD from the mid 90s. Is this alone not a testament to him having no business in the same zip code as a reunited Van Halen?
    you know...as dave said in his book. their whole thing became hyper strategic, they saw the band going downhill with hagar and didn't trust dave or just didn't want him to lead the band to the top again. so I do not wonder that they hired a "hit machine" like d. childs. ed and alex even would have played a recycled version of "I was made for loving you" to sell records...ha ha...imagine ed asking dave to sing "toooooooniiiiiight....I wanna see it in your eyes..."

I'm your huckleberry...
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2006 @ 06:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks

cgtsnm and mwm does sound classic except for eddies sound. that's why it sound's hagar-ish. dave should've told ed to plug back into a marshal, echo-plex, and a phaser and throw that damn pedal he's using over the hill. he fucked up the solos to both of these songs relying on that wah pedal and that talkbox. these solo's could have been smokin if someone was there to tell ed the truth. I think people around them just tell them what they wanna hear. cgtsnm has a haunting sound to it. I love that shit.

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2017 @ 09:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks

He also wrote for Aerosmith, Ricky Martin, Clay Aiken, Joan Jett, Alice Cooper, Cher, Michael Bolton, Iggy Pop, Ratt, Steve Vai, Robbie Williams, Dream Theater, Hall & Oates and Sisqo..I guess if you want a hit song you go to this guy. He does have a knack for making #1 hits. Doesn't do so well for the band he's working with as most people can tell one of his songs from the artists work.

Commando

Member No
    Last Online
    05-21-2013 @ 02:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Me Wise Magic Lyrics.................Are just not good

Though the music rocks..great guitar

is fuckin' yer girlfriend
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 07:00 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by academic punk
    Neither of those songs have ever blown me away, and have always reeked of Van Hagar to me.
    Hagar wouldn't have known what the fuck to do with the music to Me Wise Magic. It smokes plain & simple. The outro on that is as ferocious as anything I've ever heard EVH play.

The Todd Show
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2010 @ 04:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Hecubus
    The outro on that is as ferocious as anything I've ever heard EVH play.
    The outro gave me fucking chills big time.

Mezro...raised hair and arm bumps in clumps...

Precious
    Veteran

Member No
    Last Online
    05-30-2005 @ 01:10 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
    . ed and alex even would have played a recycled version of "I was made for loving you" to sell records...ha ha...imagine ed asking dave to sing "toooooooniiiiiight....I wanna see it in your eyes..."
    LMAO.

Mikey would sound perfect in the background

"doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo dooooooo"

The Todd Show
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2010 @ 04:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Roguesgirl
    LMAO.

Mikey would sound perfect in the background

"doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo dooooooo"
    "Look at all the people here tonight who can't get enuffff owargh eyargh can't get enufffff.."

Mezro...not really sure how to make a laser blast sound...thwip?..nope...

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    02-12-2012 @ 07:48 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    cant get enuff...that was a winger song wasnt it?

lol

Thread Information