ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Exclamation Yankees trading for A-Rod ???

Yankees talking to Texas about deal for A-Rod

NEW YORK (AP) — Now it's the New York Yankees who are trying to trade for Alex Rodriguez.

The American League champions began preliminary discussions with the Texas Rangers this week on a deal that would bring A-Rod to the Bronx for second baseman Alfonso Soriano, a high-ranking baseball official said Saturday.

While the talks began Wednesday night, it's still too early to tell whether they will lead to a deal, the official said, speaking to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity. Rodriguez has a no-trade clause but has said he would be amenable to a deal to the Yankees, the official said.

Rodriguez, the AL MVP, would be moved from shortstop to third base by New York, seeking to fill the hole created when Aaron Boone hurt a knee last month in a pickup basketball game, an injury that will require surgery. Derek Jeter, the Yankees' captain, would remain at shortstop.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman wouldn't discuss Rodriguez but said New York always is exploring opportunities.

"I won't comment on specific trade rumors or rumblings," he said. "It's my job to float ideas, weather balloons, out to my counterparts. Ninety-nine percent of them fall to the ground helplessly."

Texas officials did not immediately return telephone calls.

"I can't comment on the situation," said Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras.

The talks were first reported Saturday by The New York Post and Newsday.

Boston, the Yankees' perennial rival, nearly acquired Rodriguez in December, but a proposed deal that would have sent outfielder Manny Ramirez to the Rangers fell through because the players' association blocked Boston's attempt to restructure Rodriguez's record $252 million, 10-year contract. The union said the proposal by the Red Sox would have lowered the deal's value by $30 million to $32 million.

Boston then rejected the union's plan to lower the contract by $12 million to $13 million in exchange for Rodriguez gaining the right to use Boston's logos in merchandise deals.

After the deal collapsed, Texas owner Tom Hicks said Rodriguez would remain with the Rangers, and the team announced Jan. 25 that it was making the seven-time All-Star its captain.

Rodriguez, 28, is owed $179 million in salary over the remaining seven seasons of his contract, $4 million from his signing bonus and $12 million deferred at 3% annual interest from salaries during his first three years with Texas.

Soriano, 26, will make $5.4 million this year and has two more years of salary arbitration eligibility remaining. The two-time All-Star can become a free agent after the 2006 season.

New York wants Texas to pick up part of the money Rodriguez is owed and wants A-Rod to make concessions, one of the sources said.

New York's payroll currently is at $170.3 million, not including left-hander Gabe White, who remains in arbitration and will earn at least $1,825,000. A swap of Soriano for Rodriguez would leave New York's payroll at about $190 million.

Rodriguez, who was born in New York, lives in Florida. He was disappointed when the New York Mets failed to pursue him when he became a free agent after the 2000 season.

He was frustrated following three last-place finishes in Texas, but has said in recent weeks that he was content to remain with the Rangers.

"I feel like we have a great plan in hand," he said Feb. 6. "I feel very comfortable about where the Texas Rangers are going."

Rodriguez hit .298 last season with 47 homers, 118 RBI and 17 stolen bases, and Soriano batted .290 with 38 homers, 91 RBI and 35 steals.

If the deal is made, Enrique Wilson, Miguel Cairo and Erick Almonte would be among the candidates to play second base for the Yankees.

New York opens spring training Tuesday, and Texas starts two days later.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2008 @ 02:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The latest I've seen

MELVILLE, New York (Ticker) - The New York Yankees and Texas Rangers reportedly have agreed to a deal that would send superstar Alex Rodriguez to the Bronx for Alfonso Soriano and a minor leaguer.

Newsday, a Long Island-based newspaper, reported Saturday on its website that the teams have agreed "in principle" on the blockbuster deal, which would be among the biggest in sports history.

The report stated that only a "couple very minor technical details are still to be worked out" and that "all sides remain confident everything will be finalized within a few days," according to "a source."

Neither team was available for comment.

The trade would come less than two months after the Yankees' archrival - the Boston Red Sox - failed to acquire Rodriguez. The teams appeared to agree to a trade before the Major League Baseball Players Association stepped in.

Arguably the best player in baseball, "A-Rod" is owed a guaranteed $189 million over the next seven years, much of which the Red Sox wanted Rodriguez and the Rangers to pick up.

The Yankees are the richest team in American sports and the acquisition would push their already astronomical payroll over $200 million.

A New York native who still is only 28, Rodriguez won the AL Most Valuable Player Award in 2003 after hitting .298 with 47 home runs and 118 RBI for the last-place Texas Rangers.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Looks like a done deal, just the particulars need to be worked out.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    08-20-2016 @ 03:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Snake
    fuck that asshole arod

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I tell ya...

I'd rather catch clap of the throat before rooting for the Yankees, but I gotta give them props on this one....

They really kicked the Red Sox in the balls on this deal....

[[ As Va Beach climbs on his small-market team soapbox....]]

Incredibly now, their payroll is going to be over 200 million....

While other teams (I won't mention names, but the one in Western PA) struggle to put together a team in which they have to sign Henry Rodriguez and Orlando Merced for their major offseason acquisitions...

Ya gotta love baseball....

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I am the same way. It makes for an interesting off season to say the least and every game between Boston and New York have that little extra because of the rivalry. They go at each other off the field as well as on. Should be interesting to see how A-Rod does with the move to third.

I wonder if they approached Jeter about moving to second, or it was third for A-Rod right from the beginning.

Gmoney
    I lost all respect for A-rod this winter. He is just another greedy baseball player. He should have realized signing a $25M/year contract would handcuff the team in signing any other players.....well, except for the Yankees!!

I was hoping he would get stuck in last place with the Rangers for next few years!!!!

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The other side of that coin is the owners.

They seem to love to complain about salaries, but they keep paying the higher prices. A-Rod was blown away by the deal the Rangers offered. I can't fault him for taking what was offered, the Rangers outbid everyone else, by a ton.

Jerry Reinsdorf of the White Sox during the last strike was adament against these high salaries in the press. Then the second it was over, he gave Albert Belle 5 years and $50 million. At the time, it was the largest ever. It's peanuts in baseball now.

KANE
    You know, deep inside,Jeter isnt diggin this one bit,,,,

LIKE IT ! HATE ! TRADE IT !................................................S AY IT !

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan

Incredibly now, their payroll is going to be over 200 million....

Ya gotta love baseball....
    saw on espn..they are saying Yankees payroll will be around $85,000 an inning...unfuckinbelievable..

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-24-2017 @ 11:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

ridiculous

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I bet all the Boston Red Sox fans are laughing there asses off right now. That Prima Dona A-rod is gonna nothing but a ball & chain on the Yankees!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't think laughing is how I would describe the attitude of the Sox fans right now....

If I was a typical Sox fan, my first question would be why could the Yankees pull off that trade in basically a couple of days, but yet when we (Red Sox) try to swing the deal, we can't work it out over a couple of months ???

Obviously, Ramirez is making a hell of a lot more money than Soriano (at least for right now).... But based on the ease that this deal went down with the Yankees, I think it's becoming more apparent that the Red Sox management are the ones that blew the deal to move Arod to them...

Out of Hibernation
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-23-2015 @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks

So will Peter Gammons be a Yankee fan now???

Lou
    I bet the Red Sox brass are pretty upset now they didn't give in to the Rangers and get A-Rod while they had the chance. If he had gone anywhere else they wouldn't have regretted not doing the deal, but I bet now they regret it more than ever.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Troy
    So will Peter Gammons be a Yankee fan now???
    I was watching Gammons this morning...

He said the reason the Sox didn't finalize the Arod trade was because they didn't want to pay another 2 million a year after Arod was going to restructure his contract....

Betcha their kicking themselves now...

is fuckin' yer girlfriend
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 07:00 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I think Steinbrenner just loves busting Boston's balls so fucking much....

Waits until they're right there to pull the rug right out from under em....

I'm not a Yanks fan at all, but this is getting funny to watch.

Anybody want to put money on him trying to get Nomar for 2nd base?
    That would beat out the A-rod trad in spades...

Lou
    Well Nomar for 2nd base would have to be in 2005 if at all, because I don't think the Yankees and Red Sox are ever going to trade with each other. In fact I wonder when the last time they made a trade was, even for minor leaguers.

aka Van Squalen
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-18-2009 @ 09:48 PM
    Status
    Thanks

thumbs ups to this news

Gimme head till I'm dead
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    01-03-2021 @ 04:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

They didnt pull the rug out from under the Red Sox... The sox have a budget to stay with....The Yankees dont. Plain and simple.

The Sox just couldnt afford it, Thats all. If it doesnt happen this year for the Sox, Then next its down hill at a fast rate. Nomar is going, trust me on that. Pedro will be next followed by others. The sox dont have the money to keep everybody on at the levels they demand.

I think Nomar is going to go wherever they pay him the most....And we all know where that is....

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/YANK...0217125039.jpg

is it me...or does Jeter look pissed...

Gimme head till I'm dead
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    01-03-2021 @ 04:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Jeter IS pissed, or so an article said here.

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 03:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Gmoney
    I lost all respect for A-rod this winter. He is just another greedy baseball player.
    dude, rodriguez tried to get rid of well over $10 million to play for the red sox, because he had a better chance of winning. if it was all about the $$ for him, he'd have stayed with texas and earned more. it was the players union that didn't allow him to take a pay cut and move to the sox.

11/13/07
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-30-2010 @ 09:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

just like clemins, i dont like a-rod.

let's see how this on pans out.

Shit don't stink
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-22-2024 @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck the Yankees.

Let the cry for a salary cap begin.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The Red Sox owner is already starting to cry about salary cap after the Yankees pulled off the deal that they couldn't.

I couldn't care either way, Sox or Yanks, but the Red Sox at a payroll of $125 million, they aren't exactly part of the poor. Like knuckleboner said, the Players Union shot down that deal, A-Rod tried to get there.

SHEEP PEN-JUNKHEAD
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    01-31-2024 @ 04:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by ALinChainz
    The Red Sox owner is already starting to cry about salary cap after the Yankees pulled off the deal that they couldn't.

I couldn't care either way, Sox or Yanks, but the Red Sox at a payroll of $125 million, they aren't exactly part of the poor. Like knuckleboner said, the Players Union shot down that deal, A-Rod tried to get there.
    Yeah it's funny how the Sox are bitching how this isn't fair, blah blah blah....when they have the 2nd highest payroll in the league.

The fact of the matter is that about 12 million dollars seperated them and getting A-Rod.

DLR7884
    They were too cheap to pull the trigger.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And Steinbrenner adding insult to injury by stating in the press that "Henry didn't want to go the extra mile for his fans."

I'll have to admit, for the first time in awhile, I'm more anxious for the baseball season to get started. Even being Tiger fan.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Glad someone is.....

Thread Information