Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Finding the right places for Bledsoe, Garcia

Feb. 16, 2005

By Clark Judge

SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Unemployed quarterbacks Drew Bledsoe and Jeff Garcia shouldn't be free agents for long. If Dallas is smart, it should sign Bledsoe; if Detroit is willing, it should sign Garcia.

Both moves make sense because both fill needs.

Ultimately, Drew Bledsoe did not seize his opportunity as a Bill. (AP)
    The Cowboys have been looking for a reliable starter for years, and while Bledsoe won't be confused with Troy Aikman, he's an upgrade from Vinny Testaverde. OK, so that that's not saying much when you're comparing the guy to a 41-year-old passer, but Bledsoe offers Dallas a chance to do what it couldn't last year:

Improve itself at the most important position on the field.

The Lions, meanwhile, need a veteran backup for the inconsistent Joey Harrington, and Garcia is an ideal choice. He not only played for coach Steve Mariucci when the two were in San Francisco, he went to three Pro Bowls and two playoffs with him. It's a perfect match except for one thing.

Injuries.

Garcia had a strained shoulder that bothered him last year, then finished the season on injured reserve with a torn knee ligament. The Lions understandably are concerned about that, especially with Garcia turning 35 next week, and want to investigate further before making an evaluation. But if he's OK -- and his agent insists he is -- he seems perfect for the club.

Bledsoe and Garcia are two of what could be several veteran quarterbacks to crowd this year's free-agent market. The Giants' Kurt Warner will join them. So should Brad Johnson of Tampa Bay. Then there's Mike McMahon of Detroit, who becomes an unrestricted free agent when his contract expires in March.

And I haven't even mentioned Seattle's Matt Hasselbeck, whose contract also expires in March. But the feeling there is the Seahawks will re-sign him before he hits the streets.

When you rank the 30-something veterans with personnel directors and pro scouts, Bledsoe and Garcia are the overwhelming favorites, with Bledsoe first and Garcia second. Bledsoe went to two Super Bowls, had success early in his career and is at his best when he has protection and a decent rushing game -- two things that escaped him in his final few seasons in New England.

In his first season with the Bills, he set 10 franchise passing records but floundered down the stretch, losing five of his final eight. He never seemed to recover until the middle of last year when, with the addition of running back Willis McGahee, the Bills perked up and won eight of their final 10, including six in a row.

Now, look what happened to Bledsoe. Over his final 10 games he completed 57 percent of his passes, with 14 TDs and nine interceptions. Once he threw for four touchdowns; twice he threw for three. And only twice did he produce more than one interception in a game.

But here's the number I like most: Over the final 10 games he was sacked only 14 times; in his first six starts he was sacked 23 times. The results speak for themselves: Buffalo started 1-5 and finished 9-7.

Those numbers should appeal to Dallas coach Bill Parcells, though you shouldn't have to sell him on Bledsoe. It was Bledsoe who took him and the New England Patriots to the Super Bowl in 1996, one of four seasons he and Parcells spent together.

Parcells won't tolerate quarterbacks who make mistakes, and while Bledsoe makes more than he should, he doesn't make as many as Quincy Carter, the quarterback who led Dallas to the playoffs in 2003, or Testaverde. Carter had 21 interceptions and 10 fumbles in 2003; Testaverde had a league-high 20 interceptions a year later.

More important, Dallas was 6-10 under Vinny.

So sign Bledsoe. The right side of the Cowboys' line needs surgical repair, but that's what free agency and the draft are for. The Cowboys have plenty of cap room and two first-round choices. They have a budding star in running back Julius Jones, a Pro Bowl tight end and a stable of wide receivers now that Terry Glenn returns.

Oh, and did I happen to mention that in the two best years of Glenn's career, it was Drew Bledsoe delivering him the ball?

Bledsoe's departure was driven not so much by his failures in Buffalo as it was the arrival of J.P. Losman, whom coaches and club officials want to promote to the starter's job this year. Coincidentally, Losman was drafted last year after Buffalo swung a deal to acquire an additional first-round pick ... from Dallas.

Now the Cowboys can sign the quarterback they helped force out.

"You'd have to be concerned about the hits he's taken," one NFC general manager said of Bledsoe. "Because the more he gets hit the more his eye level drops from the field to the defensive line in front of him. That causes him to drop his hands and hold the ball, and when he holds the ball he gets hit -- and, yeah, he loses it.

"Occasionally, he'll throw the ball in areas where he has no business throwing it, too, and you wonder: What in the world is going on? But if you give him some protection, you're able to run and you have a tight end like a Ben Coates, the guy gets comfortable. He still has something left, and, to me, he's a better option than Testaverde."

I thought Drew Henson was, too, but he wasn't ready. In fact, he was so unprepared that Parcells wouldn't use him in a meaningless season finale against the New York Giants. I haven't heard anyone in Dallas talk about him as "the quarterback of the future," which means there are reservations -- and, perhaps, serious reservations.

All the more reason to move to Bledsoe.

In Detroit's situation, the club has been searching for a quarterback since Bobby Layne in the 1950s, and thought it found one in Harrington. After three years, the Lions aren't sure what to make of Harrington, but they still seem willing to give him a chance -- provided they have a safety net.

Garcia is that net, if he passes a physical.

He did for Mariucci in San Francisco what Bledsoe did for Parcells in New England, which is to win and make it to the playoffs. I'm not saying he does the same thing in Detroit, but he provides an attractive option that wasn't there a year ago.

OK, so Garcia didn't have a great year in Cleveland. Name me someone who did. His age, injuries and some public comments in Cleveland will conspire against him, but let's be honest here: He was on a bad team that had an atrocious offensive line, a feeble rushing attack, an unpopular head coach who was fired in midseason, a receiving corps that was always in flux and an offensive weapon -- tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. -- who disappeared two games into the year.

"I watched Garcia against Philadelphia," said an AFC scout of Cleveland's 34-31 overtime loss to the Eagles last season, "and he was always on the move, was a playmaking machine and kept drives alive. Sure, the injuries would concern you, but this guy's won a lot of NFL games."

A year ago Garcia was interested in moving to Atlanta, even though he knew he would sit behind Michael Vick. The reason: He liked the coaching staff and the offensive system. Well, Detroit should be more attractive: There's a void at the No. 2 spot with McMahon leaving, and Harrington hasn't played well as the starter.

"The primary thing we're looking for," said Stephen Baker, Garcia's agent, "is the best possible situation."

I think we just found it.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8200940

Lou
    I don't think signing Garcia is really smart for any team.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I know there a few Bills fans here (mostly from Southern Ontario), so I'll share this:

Bill's GM Tom Donahoe has been flamed in the local media for the way he dropped Drew.

A.) He had Coach Malarky make the announcement.

B.) The press conference was timed to coincide with the NHL press conference where Bettman officially pulled the plug.

I think the Bills are making the right move, but I think a class act like Drew deserved better than that.

Bledsoe reportedly "begged" reporters to include his very nice comments about Buffalo fans in their stories. I really hope he lands on his feet in Dallas or somewhere. He's a statue, but I'll tell ya' he still has one-hell of an arm-cannon and threw through the swirling winds at Ralph Wilson Stadium. He can throw anywhere! Unfortunately, though, he's slower than a paraplegic in a tar pit.

EAT ME
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If the Cowboys do get bledsoe, the vin-man should be let go.
    Its time for vinnie to hang up his cleats too.

SHEEP PEN-JUNKHEAD
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Joe Mannix
    If the Cowboys do get bledsoe, the vin-man should be let go.
    Its time for vinnie to hang up his cleats too.
    I heard Vinnie may be headed back to the Jets.

DLR7884
    It's like a fucking carousel....
    Originally Posted by WARF:
    DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Vinnie has to be done.

41 and done.

The Jets would be the only place he could go.

Mooch was the last coach Garcia played for for whom he had any success. If not him, the Lions will try and sign on of those veteran arms to compete with Harrington.

I remember when Buffalo aquired Bledose, the city went crazy.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Cleveland would likely be the front-runner for Bledsoe, given their new head coach.
    Yo Yo Yo

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think the Bills are a playoff team with Bledsoe. They made a big mistake here. They might as well try and get Jim Kelly out of retirement now. J.P. whatever, doesn't seem like a guy capeable of putting the Bills in the playoffs.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Shut the fuck up queer bait!

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pittsburgh and their rookie QB proved that it could be done.

Mularkey is a QB coach and offensive mind, their line is in shambles and need a mobile QB.

Losman is that, Bledsoe isn't.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    queer bait???????? Your the faggot that got shoved in a corner all through high school and afterward yelled "dick wad". Queer bait, who continue to get weirder and weirder. By the way loved your thread "I love this site, love everybody, thank you so much. There is absolutely no way you possibly get any pussy. NONE. Don't lie now.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Losman is 2 years away. Bledsoe is ready now. He had as good a second half as anyone.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bledsoe is immobile and had nothing to do with their surge.

They didn't make the playoffs, couldn't beat a Steeler team that was playing all back-ups.

McGahee was the catalyst of their winning streak.

The Todd Show
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by DLR7884
    I heard Vinnie may be headed back to the Jets.
    Vinnie is headed back to the card table with the rest of his unibrowed, guido family.

Mezro...a three step drop...and the pasta goes in the pot...think you can handle that Vin?...
    Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Martian Spider
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by WHOYOUFUCKINJOE
    queer bait???????? Your the faggot that got shoved in a corner all through high school and afterward yelled "dick wad". Queer bait, who continue to get weirder and weirder. By the way loved your thread "I love this site, love everybody, thank you so much. There is absolutely no way you possibly get any pussy. NONE. Don't lie now.
    YOU TELL HIM JOE! HE'S JUST JEALOUS AS TO WHAT A STANDUP/BENDOVER GUY YOU ARE!

SHUT UP NIKKI OR I'LL SCRATCH YOU'RE EYES OUT YOU LITTLE BITCH! LEAVE MY MAN ALONE!

YOUR SO RIGHT JOE! I BET HE CAN'T GET ANY PUSSY! HE PROBABLY NEEDS A MAKEOVER ON OUR FAVORITE SHOW QUEER-EYE-FOR-THE-STRAIGHT-GUY1 WE WILL BE ON HIATUS WATCHING WILL AND GRACE, THANK YOU. THAT IS ALL!
    Ex-Bitch JOE THUNDER, LP, WHOYOUFUCKINGJOE(your cellmate?), SHOWJOEYYOURTITS(unhuh?), I'MACUNT! eatthatboxJOE!(yeah right!) Longdongsilver, boy, u stupid (and gay)
    Where'd he go?

Ziggy played guitar, jamming good with Weird and Gilly
    The spiders from Mars. He played it left hand
    But made it too far
    Became the special man, then we were Ziggy's band
    Ziggy really sang, screwed up eyes and screwed down hairdo
    Like some cat from Japan, he could lick 'em by smiling
    He could leave 'em to hang
    Came on so loaded man, well hung and snow white tan.
    So where were the spiders while the fly tried to break our balls
    Just the beer light to guide us,
    So we bitched about his fans and should we crush his sweet hands?
    Ziggy played for time, jiving us that we were voodoo
    The kids were just crass, he was the nazz
    With God given ass
    He took it all too far but boy could he play guitar
    Making love with his ego Ziggy sucked up into his mind
    Like a leper messiah
    When the kids had killed the man I had to break up the band.
    Oh yeah
    Ooooooo
    Ziggy played guitaarrrrrr

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by WHOYOUFUCKINJOE
    So you post you're entering rehab for your coke habit, after posting that ALinchainz only donated $10, and DLR/EVH have reunited, and NOW you think you can just start acting like "one of the guys"???

Too late JOEY. You're persona non grata around here. Go fuck yourself. ALL of YOUR threads get closed, because you're a RACIST FRAUD, so you think you can stink up Al's threads?

Speaking of Football......Where's the money you owe me for our Superbowl bet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Lou
    I don't think signing Garcia is really smart for any team.
    I think the Eagles could use a QB that could run the 2 minute drill.
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The only team Garcia would be good for is the Rainbow Warriors!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ALinChainz
    Bledsoe is immobile and had nothing to do with their surge.

They didn't make the playoffs, couldn't beat a Steeler team that was playing all back-ups.

McGahee was the catalyst of their winning streak.
    True, to a point. Bledsoe was doing well in the no-huddle though. But the Bills coaches wanted a mobile QB to run bootlegs and draw plays, not just drop back and pass. Besides, they're at least two years away from winning anything anyways.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Lee Evans is coming on and Moulds is there to stay. They have the running game and the defense should be fine. Improving the pass blocking is a must.

They traded up to take Losman if I recall and are saving a $2.2 million figure on their cap releasing Bledsoe. The mobility will buy the club some time building that OL.

Thread Information