Thread: Don't be fooled. Ed doesn't call the shots.......Alex is the boss.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Don't be fooled. Ed doesn't call the shots.......Alex is the boss.

Ed was the guitar prodigy, but the real busines of "hiring and firing" came from the dark depths of Alex. He sat "behind the scenes" and knew every dynamic of the band. From day one he could not stand David Lee Roth because of hie "over the top" attitude and dimeanor. Ed was the spokesperson, but don't be fooled Alex was the persuading force behind Ed's motives. He fired Dave, hired Sam, fired Sam, hired Gary, fired Gary and rehired Sam. The problem can not lie with three different singers it must be the Van Halen boys. It's obvious.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dave was not fired from Van Halen, Dave left Van Halen. I think Dave was estatic over the huge success of the 1984 album and tour. The iron was hot and Dave wanted to continue smashing it. When the Van Halens didn't want to take advantage of the publicity, Dave put out his solo album "Crazy From The Heat" and released his famouse "California Girls' video. Dave who is very "live in the moment" ran with it.

I think it made the Van Halens; especially Alex jelouse and I think that reinforced it to Dave, he was tired putting up with the bullshit and he clearly was popular without Van Halen at the time so he quit.

I've been trying to understand the Van Halen brothers for years and I've just decided they are two women. Totally impossible to understand.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

spiralmind
    Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    you might be onto something...

SHEEP PEN Yahweh
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    NO.

Ed has as much - if not more - to do with who is singing in the band. Remember the 96 fiasco?

Ed was the one who invited Dave down to the studio. Ed was the one who said let's get you on a couple of new tracks for the greatest hits. Al had no knowledge about any of this.

Al only found out when he showed up at the studio one day and saw Dave and Ed sitting there together.

The Sammy connection was through Sammy's and Ed's mutual race-car teacher (or something). So, again, Ed.

As to Gary, he was liivng at Ed's for a while while recording VH3. If Ed wants to work with someone, he does. if he doesn't, it's ultimately never going to happen, regardless of what anyone says.

spiralmind
    Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They might be onto something...

Cheers! :bottle:

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by nosuchluck
    LOL...I think YOU are on something!

...or you may have a point!

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status
    Originally posted by academic punk

Al only found out when he showed up at the studio one day and saw Dave and Ed sitting there together.
    exactly. and what happened after that. good-bye Dave. Hello Gary.
    "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Fuck I would've loved to see a photo of Shemp's face the second he walked into that room.PRICELESS

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This thread is onto something.

(Sorry, had to)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

spiralmind
    Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Carmine Raguzza.
    LOL...I think YOU are on something!

...or you may have a point!
    oh no...they're onto me!!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by BIG GOOSE
    Fuck I would've loved to see a photo of Shemp's face the second he walked into that room.PRICELESS

Add me to that list !!
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed and Al took control of the band AFTER Dave quit in 1985. Think it was pretty much Ed and Dave who were responsible for the decision-making prior to that split.

Dave wasn't fired from Van Halen in 1985. Don't know how that got started, although it is perpetuated by lazy music journalists who can't be bothered to check the facts.

Ed contacted Roth in 1996, THEN sacked Sammy shortly thereafter. Gary was hired in August. VMAs with Roth in September. Roth's open letter in October. Far as I can make out, nobody from Van Halen or VH management even told Roth in 1996 that he was fired. They just didn't bother contacting him after the VMAs, and only responded after he put out his press release. It took Roth's letter to goad Van Halen into letting the rest of us know what the fuck was going on.

Alex is the boss now. Yep, he's calling the shots for a band that has no record label, no singer, no future, and won't even put out product under the Van Halen name that somebody would want to buy (classic live video).

I wouldn't even hire Alex to manage a hotdog cart at a baseball stadium for me. He'd end up selling tofu dogs while trying to convince people they're just as good as ballpark franks and put me outta business.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

SHEEP PEN Yahweh
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Terry
    Ed and Al took control of the band AFTER Dave quit in 1985. Think it was pretty much Ed and Dave who were responsible for the decision-making prior to that split.

Dave wasn't fired from Van Halen in 1985. Don't know how that got started, although it is perpetuated by lazy music journalists who can't be bothered to check the facts.

Ed contacted Roth in 1996, THEN sacked Sammy shortly thereafter. Gary was hired in August. VMAs with Roth in September. Roth's open letter in October. Far as I can make out, nobody from Van Halen or VH management even told Roth in 1996 that he was fired. They just didn't bother contacting him after the VMAs, and only responded after he put out his press release. It took Roth's letter to goad Van Halen into letting the rest of us know what the fuck was going on.

Alex is the boss now. Yep, he's calling the shots for a band that has no record label, no singer, no future, and won't even put out product under the Van Halen name that somebody would want to buy (classic live video).

I wouldn't even hire Alex to manage a hotdog cart at a baseball stadium for me. He'd end up selling tofu dogs while trying to convince people they're just as good as ballpark franks and put me outta business.

Some slight errors and/or discrepancies: My understanding is that Dave was, in fact, fired. All the parties agreed to keep it as "Dave has left" b/c a) it was more diplomatic, and b) it was beneficial for VH b/c saying that Dave left wouldn't anger the fan base so much, and c) it was beneficial for Dave, b/c he didn't have to lse face.

Even Billy Sheehan - at the time of Eat 'Em and Smile has said that one day he called Ed to invite him to an upcoming Talas show, and Billy mentioned that Dave had called him recently, figuring that he was calling to invite Talas to open for VH on upcoming otur dates. Ed said, "Don't tell anyone, but we fired the fucker." My impression overall of that whole thing was that no one knows really what happened other than that the relationship was dissolved.

But you are mistaken re: who called who in '96. It was Dave who made the initial phonecall. Before Sammy was even out of the picture, Dave ad heard that they were putting a Greatest hits together, and he wanted to find out how they were handling it and what material would be on it. Dave had also recently completed the bulk of the CFTH manuscript, and wanted to put all that in the past (he also saw the mid-east peace negotiations taking place at the time on TV, and, in his own words, figured, "If they can do it over there, then I should be able to do it over here."). Ed mentioned that - as Dave states in CFTH ("Reunion Blues") - they were thinking about adding some new bonus tracks, and things took shpae from there, and they began working together. This was all taking place behind Sammy's back.

The rest is history.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Some slight errors and/or discrepancies: My understanding is that Dave was, in fact, fired. All the parties agreed to keep it as "Dave has left" b/c a) it was more diplomatic, and b) it was beneficial for VH b/c saying that Dave left wouldn't anger the fan base so much, and c) it was beneficial for Dave, b/c he didn't have to lse face.
    no, they used every possibility to piss on dave and never tried to be any kind of diplomatic or beneficial or fair towards dave! he quit, cause he said so and even ed admitted once "at least dave never lied..."

Ed said, "Don't tell anyone, but we fired the fucker."
    and as we all know...ed ALWAYS tells the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth and would never lie to his fans or anybody...
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

But you are mistaken re: who called who in '96. It was Dave who made the initial phonecall. Before Sammy was even out of the picture, Dave ad heard that they were putting a Greatest hits together, and he wanted to find out how they were handling it and what material would be on it. Dave had also recently completed the bulk of the CFTH manuscript, and wanted to put all that in the past (he also saw the mid-east peace negotiations taking place at the time on TV, and, in his own words, figured, "If they can do it over there, then I should be able to do it over here."). Ed mentioned that - as Dave states in CFTH ("Reunion Blues") - they were thinking about adding some new bonus tracks, and things took shpae from there, and they began working together. This was all taking place behind Sammy's back.

The rest is history.
    True AP...Dave called Ed and said" Hey...lets just put it behind us. I'm not trying to get back in, you guys are solvent. This greatest hits thing..Ed says yeah, I feel the same way..and that they ALWAYS had thought to bring Dave in to "spice up" the greatest hits package.

and yeah...the rest is History....Unfortunatly

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dave bailed in 1985.

As Roth has said, the Van Halens made the situation untenable for him, but in the end it was his choice to leave. Ed was even saying as much to the press in the first several months following his departure. Wasn't until much later that EVH and AVH began claiming they fired him.

Far as '96, Ed and Hagar were having problems. Roth called Ed up about the greatest hits, agreed. Then Ed called Dave up before Hagar was even shown the door.

The sisters in 96 made damn sure they had one singer lined up before casting off the other. A lesson they learned from Roth bailing on them in 1985; don't leave yourself in the lurch without backup.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by nosuchluck
    oh no...they're onto me!!
    very well, I concur....

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Even Billy Sheehan - at the time of Eat 'Em and Smile has said that one day he called Ed to invite him to an upcoming Talas show, and Billy mentioned that Dave had called him recently, figuring that he was calling to invite Talas to open for VH on upcoming otur dates. Ed said, "Don't tell anyone, but we fired the fucker." My impression overall of that whole thing was that no one knows really what happened other than that the relationship was dissolved.

The rest is history.
    That is a funny quote by Ed: "We fired the fucker". This soap opera will never cease. I love it.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i think he did get fired certainly! Not bad mouthing or anything, but every Dave interview u see just prior to when they broke up, he bad mouths the sisters quite a bit, especially alex! Watch the letterman interview for exapmle "im gonna be a weiner for just one more year"...meaning.....I'll put up with these fuckers for another album, a tour and some cashola$$$$....but that album never came n dave "left" or whatever shortly after! Therefore to conclude my theory, alex wanted to run the show, tried too while dave was singing and succeeded after he he fired him! Alex makes sure that at least half of his band is always piss drunk, making them vulnerable to believe that hes smart n knows what the fuck hes doing! WRONG cuz they got rid of the best frontman this world has ever seen, replaced him with a shlong, n then another shlong and then rehired first shlong...no record deal, shitty tours, bad press and this web site!!!! Thanks alex for making us laugh time n time again YOU IGNORANT BITCH!!!!!

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    YAAAAAAAAAY IM A FUCKING GROUPIE NOW!!! HOW COOL IS THAT???

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    AWESOME !!!

Thread Information