Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What if Figs were a Necroposting Panda Spamming Dutch Faggot?

Beer Drinker&Hell Raiser
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Eddie says, Mikey does.
    "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

If ya can't beat 'em...
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Terry
    Agreed, wouldn't be a CVH reunion without him there.

If they do reform, agreed Mike's bass solo and Al's drum solo can take a hike. Shit, can pretty much do without a quarter-hour EVH guitar solo as well. Even Dave has abbreviated his in-between song raps solo live these days, and the show is a little better for it. Would rather see Ed do Spanish Fly then segue into DOA, Cathedral into Secrets, Eruption into You Really Got Me, Little Guitars Intro into Little Guitars and Meanstreet Intro into Meanstreet than have one long guitar solo wank. Would keep Ed concise and focused and enable the band to play more songs. Eliminating the bass solo, drum solo and paring down the guitar solo and Roth raps would trim about half an hour that could allow for 5 or 6 more SONGS to be played.

Mike's background vocals on the 6 pack stuff were essential to the sound, but live that guy was too loud in the mix; his singing live bugged me. Listen to Montreal 1984. Something like On Fire would have been better off with just Dave screaming the chorus. Same with Jamie's Crying. Mike sounds like half a fag.

MA won't sit out a reunion willingly. He'll be there with his tinkerbells on. Not a reunion unless all four are there.

Would rather see Dave and Ed do something together without the other two, in all honesty. Get a drummer in there who'll give Ed a good kick up the ass. Wouldn't discourage me from giving it a listen at all if MA and AVH didn't participate.

You voiced these thoughts perfectly. That's exactly the way I feel about the CVH sideshows / interludes. Was always willing to put up with those things for the 'meat and potatoes' of why we were there. I don't know singing terms that well, but what is wrong with Mike's voice in concert? Is it his 'pitch' or 'tone'? I guess he knows how to sing, but I things are obviously smoothed out in the studio productions.
    "Money can't buy poverty." -Marty Feldman

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fuck 'em...

Call the band Van Roth or Dave Halen.

Tell Alice and bassplayer to take a powder and go to Cabo or a turkish bath house.

Open up auditions or go with seasoned pros. Billy Sheehan would be an AWESOME addition, but I'd rather have Jason Bonham on drums.

An album only would be interesting but in order to maximize a final payday for the drunk it's necessary. EdWad found this out with the 2004 train wreck. No new stuff and shit songs = empty houses!

Only Dave can rescue him from the gutter. There's a part of me that wants to see a new hard rocker coming from Dave's current line-up and let Dave build THEM up the way he did the other ingrates! I'm betting that the current line-up would be thankful!

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It'll be all four. Mike will have to part ways with his girlfriend Spammy for a while.

Beer Drinker&Hell Raiser
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Any kind of project with just Dave & Ed and some session hacks would be a massive disappointment and a sad letdown.

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by degüello
    Any kind of project with just Dave & Ed and some session hacks would be a massive disappointment and a sad letdown.
    Ever think the 2/3 of the band are what's been keeping this from happening?

Talent wise...both of them are nothing special outside of their band.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by degüello
    My expectations from Ed these days are virtually nil, so it'd be pretty hard for him to leave me feeling letdown.

Van Halen...well, that classic lineup pulling its shit together long enough to do an oldies reunion tour is just too much of a longshot, never mind defying my expectations. Just the four of them getting back together and doing the 6-pack stuff one more time ain't gonna cut it for me.

Mike and Al don't bring enough to the table anymore to make their participation essential for me. Dave and Ed don't need the legitimacy of them being there in order to make the classic VH label authentic for me to be interested in what Dave and Ed could come up with. Doesn't need to be called Van Halen to get me curious.

In fact, the whole Van Halen band name is just too much weight for these guys to bear. The legacy of 1974-1984 both hangs over them and drags them down. Everytime they have gone out with another singer, the comparisons inevitably start and find non-Roth lineups always wanting. Would be even worse to see the four classic members compete against their own past and come up short than it is seeing Van Hagar or Van Cherone not hit the mark, mostly because the expectation level from both of those lineups is so low anyway.

Wouldn't want Ed and Dave to hook up with some session hacks, either. Some musicians with name recognition, technical comptetence and the proper attitude/repsect towards the CVH output wouldn't be overawed by working with those two (let's face it; working with Ed today isn't the daunting prospect it would have been twenty years ago in terms of ego, because this guy has been bottoming out for years and everyone fucking knows it). Problem is, Ed doesn't want the challenge of leaving the coccon and working outside the 5150 bubble. Al's seen to that.

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Much better thread about the future of VH!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    To answer the thread, who would relentlessly strum "E."

Your Own Personal Satan
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Refusing to see Van Halen without Mike is like refusing to see the Beatles without Ringo.....

Thread Information