• Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

Lynn Swann thinking of running for PA Governorship

Ex-Steeler Swann Raising Money for Bid

Thu Feb 24, 3:11 PM ET Politics - AP

HARRISBURG, Pa. - Former Pittsburgh Steelers star Lynn Swann has formed a campaign committee to raise money for a potential run for governor in 2006.

Swann named his committee Team 88, the number he wore as a wide receiver for the Steelers from 1974 to 1982, when the team won four Super Bowls.

"I will spend time introducing myself to communities across the commonwealth," the NFL Hall of Famer said in a statement Wednesday. "We will also explore the potential political and financial support for my candidacy."

Swann, who turns 53 next month, faces at least two prospective opponents in the GOP primary. The winner will take on incumbent Democratic Gov. Ed Rendell in November.

A Quinnipiac University poll of voters conducted earlier this month showed Rendell winning a hypothetical matchup against Swann, 50 to 34 percent.

Rendell is pretty popular isn't he...former mayor of Philly?
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."
  • Lou

I don't think Rendell is popular anywhere else in the state, and to tell you the truth I think he's done at best a mediocre job as governor. He was a great mayor (and this is coming from someone who will virtually never vote for a Democrat) but I think he's been a colossal disappointment as governor. I'm not sure what exactly he's accomplishing, nor am I really sure what his plan is to keep the doctors from leaving the state.

Comment

• thebuldawg
      Roadie
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
      Rendell is pretty popular isn't he...
      That's a big, "HELL NO!"

Especially if you ask any state employee.
      "Whatever happens... happens."
      -Spike Spiegel-

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

Interesting...so essentially...he carries Philly...which gets him a lead...probably carries the smaller democratic cities...like Erie...and gets hammered in the rest of the state...

makes sense...

I was in Erie...when Ridge was Congressman...then governor...and remember he was moderate enough to make democrats and republicans okay to vote for him...but then hate his ass for being to wishy washy while he was in office...

but overall...he had a decent record...if I remember right. I know he was on Bush's short list of VP candidates...

then Rendell...who was loved as a mayor...but getting hammered as a governor...

i can't imagine Lynn Swann being an adequate replacement though.
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

Swanny's my boy, but he should do like all the other retired football players do and get a bunch of car dealerships....
          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

The great one...

Comment

• Lou

I'd vote for Lynn Swann over Ed Rendell, and I mean that.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

I don't think Swann is stupid...not by any stretch...

...but...lmfao...that's a big statement considering he hasn't said one word about policy...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

And let's face facts, a black guy running as a Republican for governor in a historically Democratic state, I mean, come on....

Who knows, that'll generate more votes from the PA Democrats....

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Lou

It's not a Democratic state. It's a Republican state with a big Democratic city. Seriously, look at how the counties came out in the presidential election. I bet, absolute BARE MINIMUM, 62 of the 67 counties voted Republican. Philadelphia votes democratic as most big cities do.

Tom Ridge was elected governor. We have two Republican senators (though Specter in my opinion is a Democrat). Philadelphia determines who gets voted and who doesn't. And basically, for the presidential election, more voters turn out. For the state elections, a certain group of people doesn't come out and vote as heavily, which is why Republicans get voted in.

I think Ed Rendell would have his hands full with Lynn Swann. Not only would he get all of Pittsburgh, but that certain group of people in Philadelphia I think would easily turn their backs on Rendell and vote for him. I don't care what their motive is, I'd much prefer to have Lynn Swann in there over Ed Rendell.

Basically I just want a Republican in there, and Swann would have the best chance of usurping the Philadelphia vote from Rendell.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

It all depends...

The governorship is an interesting animal in any state...

for the most part...Senators don't win presidential elections...

and Santoram is the golden boy of the Republican party...they may want him in there...governing a state...before he makes a run at the big gun...which may be '08...

I know he'd only be the governor for 2 years...but...it would still be a possibility...

They were talking to him about it on FOXNews the other day...and he said that wasn't part of his plan...but you never know...

Swann wouldn't win...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Lou
                        It's not a Democratic state. It's a Republican state with a big Democratic city. Seriously, look at how the counties came out in the presidential election. I bet, absolute BARE MINIMUM, 62 of the 67 counties voted Republican. Philadelphia votes democratic as most big cities do.
                        No, that means it's a Democrat state....

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

I'd agree with both of you actually...

PA is historically a Democratic state when it comes to presidential politics...and local politics for that matter...but it's been slowly changing...

putting it in play for the presidential election (and would probably carry a republican presidential ticket if there was a republican moderate like a Ridge running for pres)....

It's a blue state right now...during the pres elections...and red state for senate elections...and I'm betting...about 50/50 for house...although I don't know that for sure...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

The NRA runs strong in PA's less populous counties...that's for sure...

My family originated further south than you Va...but my Dad did a lot of his stomping in Meadville...grew up in Cochranton...and the people there are generally republican based on gun rights...

I'm relatively convinced my uncle is a big dog in some "private wack-ass militia"...and they wouldn't vote democrat for anything...I'm sure a lot of counties in PA are similar in that kind of thinking...

Comment

Working...