Last Online
    Today @ 09:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,564 Times in 3,450 Posts

Saddam's Half-Brother Captured

Saddam half-brother captured
    Former personal adviser to Iraqi dictator

Sunday, February 27, 2005 Posted: 10:09 AM EST (1509 GMT)

Sab'awi Ibrahim al-Hasan al-Tikriti, right, receives medals from Saddam Hussein in December 1999.

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Saddam Hussein's half-brother, who was a personal adviser during his presidency, was captured in a joint Iraqi and coalition forces operation, Iraqi government officials said Sunday.

Sab'awi Ibrahim al-Hasan al-Tikriti was No. 36 on the U.S. military's list of the 55 most-wanted Iraqis, and one of 12 people on the list who remained at large. A half-brother on Saddam's mother's side, al-Hasan held many positions in his regime, the latest as Saddam's personal adviser.

There is evidence that al-Hasan was financing insurgents in the post-Saddam era, an Iraqi intelligence official told CNN.

"It is safe to say that Sab'awi al-Tikriti was an active member in the planning, supervising and carrying out [of] numerous terrorist operations inside Iraq," said a statement issued by the Iraqi government.

Saddam was captured December 13, 2003, near Tikrit and is in coalition custody. The Red Cross has been permitted to visit him.

Al-Hasan had a $1 million bounty on his head, a multinational forces official confirmed. It was not known whether the reward would be paid, as the circumstances of his capture were not immediately available.

"The capture of Sab'awi is a result of the Iraqi government's efforts to chase and detain all criminals who committed crimes of genocide and have the blood of the Iraq people on their hands," said the Iraqi government statement. "These people must get their fair punishment for their crimes."

Al-Hasan's son, Omar Sab'awi Ibrahim al-Tikriti, was known as a high-ranking Ba'athist, Saddam's party, and was active in the "General Union of Iraqi Students and Youth."

In early March of 2003, a team of U.S. Justice Department officials traveled to Iraq to start organizing evidence that could be used against Saddam, who is to stand trial by an Iraqi tribunal.

No trial date has been set.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-30-2017 @ 02:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks

We can catch everybody but bin Laden. Or are we even trying anymore?

"The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him."
    - G.W. Bush, 9/13/01

"I want justice...There's an old poster out West, as I recall, that said, 'Wanted: Dead or Alive,'"
    - G.W. Bush, 9/17/01, UPI

"...Secondly, he is not escaping us. This is a guy, who, three months ago, was in control of a county [sic]. Now he's maybe in control of a cave. He's on the run. Listen, a while ago I said to the American people, our objective is more than bin Laden. But one of the things for certain is we're going to get him running and keep him running, and bring him to justice. And that's what's happening. He's on the run, if he's running at all. So we don't know whether he's in cave with the door shut, or a cave with the door open -- we just don't know...."
    - Bush, in remarks in a Press Availablity with the Press Travel Pool,
    The Prairie Chapel Ranch, Crawford TX, 12/28/01, as reported on
    official White House site

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority."
    - G.W. Bush, 3/13/02

"I am truly not that concerned about him."
    - G.W. Bush, repsonding to a question about bin Laden's whereabouts,
    3/13/02 (The New American, 4/8/02)

Last edited by blueturk; 02-28-2005 at 02:34 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-09-2013 @ 06:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I don't think we need to assume that just because this issue isn't splashed all over the front page of the NYT every other day that we aren't actively pursuing OBL.

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    09-12-2020 @ 06:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I thought I heard on ABC that this guy's capture was connected to Syria.

Either way, man we are putting the squeeze on them. First Beirut and now they're handing over people to us to gain favor?

And then a suicide bombing in Tel Aviv after a long lull that gets immediately connect to Syria?

It's like the dark hand of Syrian Intelligence is finally coming into the light.

Thread Information