Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VanHalenFan5150
    Sniper
    • Oct 2009

I recently got a very nice amp, which will keep me at it for a while until I buy another one.
    Reading Crazy From the Heat in four hours flat, in a cramped RV, on the return trip of a 3,000+ mile family outing to New Jersey is an enlightening experience you'll never forget.

Comment

• jackassrock
      Head Fluffer
      • Sep 2004

I played an Ibanez RG570 through Mosfet 100 for a couple years before I got my first set dresser job on a film. When it was all over I picked up my 800 for five hundred dollars, coupled with my first Gibson LP and I never fucking looked back. The difference (as you all can imagine) was so huge that I sold the dusty old road worn Mosfet for 75 bucks to the first idiot that came by.

Funny story. When I was on the road with the Murder Junkies I would usually bring my 6101 combo (because it was small and still pushed 100 watts). There was a clause from the old days with GG that a backline was to be supplied for every show (In case there was a need for a hasty retreat) but the amps were usually provided by the opening band and were complete crap 90% of the time. So I'd bring my Marshall, and it would invariably break down, then I'd be forced to use whatever was available until we got back to Cincinnati and I could either see my amp guy for a repair, or grab my JCM800. One time we were one show away from my home, playing in Columbus, and I saw the opening band's guitarist had a Marshall head. Good, I thought, maybe I won't sound like complete crap tonight.

WRONG !

I got up there to plug in and, lo and behold, it was my old Mosfet. The very same one I had sold about 7 years prior, complete with red paint splatter from an art show gig back in 97 and burned tolex on top from candles that burned all the way down to the nub. No mistake, it was the one. Guess what, it still sucked complete ass !

Moral= Not every Marshall is a good amp.
      Last edited by jackassrock; 12-07-2009, 11:48 AM.
      It's a shame that families should be torn apart by something as simple as....wild dogs

Comment

• jhale667
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Some are Marshalls in name only...

Originally posted by jackassrock
        Moral= Not every Marshall is a good amp.
        So true. Had to play through a solid-state half-stack at the gig I did in my hometown last summer, and it was awful...it's amazing they sell any of them at all...would be better used as a doorstop...
        Originally posted by conmee
        If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
        Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
        I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
        Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
        Originally posted by eddie78
        I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Hardrock69
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Feb 2005

Saw Doug A just a few months back with Whitesnake. Always a pleasure to watch him shred.

Total badass.

Not long ago I got the IK Multimedia Ampeg plugin. Talk about the sound of God's Bass Rig!

And just last night, I realized that 4 1/2 years ago when I got my $300 Marshall cab, the pics I took were with a shit digital camera I got for free when signing up for an Earthlink internet access trial years ago, and are appropriately shitty. I realized this when I was trying to find the date codes for the Celestions I have in it (I could swear I wrote them down somewhere), and I could not find them. I do remember that in the cab are 3 G12M 16 ohm 75 hz black backs from the mid-70s (I think 1975), and a single 65-watt Celestion in the lower right-hand corner. That speaker sounds the best of all 4...the black backs sound 'darker'.

So...this evening when I go home, I am going to take the back off and take some proper images with my Nikon. The cab itself is from about 1975-1976 or so. It had the salt and pepper basket-weave grill cloth originally.

Here is an image I found on the net....pretty much just like mine:

One bonus I found when I got it home that first day....I found it was signed on the inside by Jim Marshall, and dated 1981 I think.

Too bad they have fuck all records on their cabs...I would love to know who originally owned it, as it seems to me if it is a mid-70s cab, and it has a 1981 replacement speaker in it, with Jim's signature from that same year, that someone had the factory replace a speaker in it.

Will post pics later tonight.

Shut the fuck up Gar. You can't even post a SINGLE FUCKING IMAGE, LOSER.
          :tongue0011::tongue0011::tongue0011:

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

For those of you who can't recall, and to correct a statement made above, the grill cloth shown above was the original grill cloth. When I bought it, it had some replacement grill cloth that was all torn up, and looked like shit to begin with.

So, I ordered some black grill cloth and did my first ever Marshall cabinet grill cloth replacement (just cause I prefer the look of black cloth).

The result can be seen here:

Comment

• ZahZoo
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Timeless thread...
              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Igosplut
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                For those of you who can't recall, and to correct a statement made above, the grill cloth shown above was the original grill cloth. When I bought it, it had some replacement grill cloth that was all torn up, and looked like shit to begin with.

So, I ordered some black grill cloth and did my first ever Marshall cabinet grill cloth replacement (just cause I prefer the look of black cloth).

The result can be seen here:

Wow it that all your stuff man? Looks great..
                Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• GAR
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jackassrock
                  One time we were one show away from my home, playing in Columbus, and I saw the opening band's guitarist had a Marshall head. Good, I thought, maybe I won't sound like complete crap tonight.

WRONG !

I got up there to plug in and, lo and behold, it was my old Mosfet. The very same one I had sold about 7 years prior, complete with red paint splatter from an art show gig back in 97 and burned tolex on top from candles that burned all the way down to the nub.
                  Best. Bio-tale. Ever.

Comment

• GAR
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2004

H69: They stopped doing that "100" logo in the upper corner by 1973.

Dope.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2005

So fucking what, LOSER? When the fuck did I EVER say there was a goddamned "100" logo on my fucking cabinet, fuckwit? If you would take the fucking toluene rag out of your goddamn fucking mouth for a second perhaps you would have noticed that!

Since you obviously did not notice, test-tube baby, I SAID I found that image on the net to show what the original grill cloth looked like on my cab! YES I SEE IN THE UPPER LEFT HAND CORNER OF THE CABINET IN THAT PHOTO WHERE THE 100 LOGO ONCE WAS!

SO FUCKING WHAT, SHIT-FOR-BRAINS? THAT PHOTO IS NOT OF MY CABINET!

SO SHUT THE FUCK UP GARFUCKLE!

Now, I said I would post pics later this evening.

UNLIKE GARFUCKLE, I actually CAN and WILL POST THEM!

NOW!

The back of de stack!

Jack plate Serial. Too bad these serial numbers are useless. If they can't date production by these, why the fuck did they bother putting them on in the first place?

Someone at the factory (Jim Marshall perhaps?) got drunk one night and ordered the workers to put them on forevermore with random numbers, no doubt!

So I mentioned earlier today that I coulda swore I wrote down the fucking date codes for my Celestions. Turns out I did not have a faulty memory after all! Also, I discovered this evening I got the dates wrong. The top two speakers are from July 23, 1976. The lower right speaker is from 4 months later, October 27, 1976. From 1968 to 1991 the date codes read Month, Year, Day. I had gotten the month and year codes backwards in 2005. I did get the 1982 date correct back then, though. So I am pretty sure it is a 1976 cab, as they did not begin using elephant hide tolex until that year.

There is a killer thread on dating Celestions here: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=67646

Found some miscellaneous initials on the bottom of the cab....have no idea what they are, perhaps they were playing cards during lunch hour and needed to keep score...

And last but not least, the signature of the owner of the company:

I dunno who the other signee is....Paul Mixon?

Ah well. Whatever.

Then, while putting the back on again, one of the terminals on the input jack broke off. No biggie to get a replacement (2 bucks and some change), and I want to re-wire the speakers anyway.

As I also posted previously, that 65-watt Celestion sounds brighter and crunchier than the blackbacks. That is the speaker I mike when recording.
                      So I am going to leave it in there for the time being. I have a Crate 1 X 12 60-watt transistor combo amp that I will put it in eventually though.

Yes Igo, them is all my toys. The piece that came into my possession earliest was the black JB Player Strat, which I bought brand new in 1986 for $250. Everything else in the photo I have accumulated since then.

Thus endeth the post on my cab. Actually, since I created a post in 2005 when I originally bought it (though I can't find it for some reason), I guess I can say this is a re-cabinet post.

SHUT UP GARFUCKLE!
                      Last edited by Hardrock69; 12-08-2009, 03:06 AM.

Comment

• Panamark
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

HR69. can I jackoff over your amp ?? It is making me
                        horny !!
                        BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• GAR
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2004

Wired for 4 ohms? Why - are the other 2 output taps blown in your head, or do you alternate with a Fender?

One of the things I do best is wiring.. and I have some suggestions but you're being a cunt so fukkov..

AH and you got those shitty slotted Whitworth screws! If you lose one, you're completely fuckered. You'll have to re-tap the teenut inserts to metric (M5, .08 pitch by 25mm, 16 pcs.)

If you keep 'em tight enough they'll be fine.

I would get one more G12-65 to replace one of the T1221's, they're essentially greenbacks unless UNLESS they say "resonance - 55hz."

If they are (though I don't think so, the ones I have say T1281 or T1283 25/30w) then you definately want to get another 65.

If you don't like the mic'd tone of the black, try aiming the mic a half-inch offaxis to the voicecoil dustcap. It's alot brighter right in there about an inch around, 75hz or 55hz regardless which blackback you got.

Comment

• GAR
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
                            HR69. can I jackoff over your amp ?? It is making me
                            horny !!
                            His cabinet's a rats nest.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Feb 2005

LMFAO!

You may jack off in FRONT of it, but please, do not splooge ON it.

Comment

• GAR
                                Banned
                                • Jan 2004

Pana was not Splooge.

Comment

Working...