night has my attention, i hope you guys
    saw it. Im locked in.

CHEERS-

EUAS
  • MAX
    Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

I'm taping it cos I can't really watch it right now. Too much family running around but from what I've seen so far it looks great. I'm looking forward to watching it in about an hour or so.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• redblkwht
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Im telling you, i wish i though about the VCR
      dammit..that 1st match is incredible too..

WOW

EUAS

Comment

• redblkwht
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

EUAS

Comment

• Rikk
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

I taped it. Gonna watch it in a few minutes before turning in, though. I've been excited to see this for a year now (when they started talking about it)!
          Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
          Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• MAX
            Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

I watched the fight and it was great. Now, gonna tuck fam in and watch the beginning. Great show!!!
            EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• DlocRoth
              ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Yeah it is good.

Unlike De La's show, these palookas can actually fight.
              Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• ALinChainz
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Missed the first show but have it all Tivo'd up now so I won't miss anymore.

Comment

• MAX
                  Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Hey,

I just read that upon completion of the taping that one of the contestants committed suicide. Any of you heard about this?
                  EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• ALinChainz
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Contender" Suicide Stuns Sly

Fri Feb 18, 1:30 PM ET

By Josh Grossberg

It was a blow Sylvester Stallone didn't see coming.

The 58-year-old Rocky star says he and Mark Burnett were shocked to learn that Najai Turpin, a 23-year-old aspiring prize fighter who took part in their forthcoming elimination-style boxing reality series, The Contender, had committed suicide in Philadelphia earlier this week.

"I couldn't believe my ears so I asked him to repeat it," Stallone recounted to reporters in a conference call Thursday of first hearing the news from show coproducer Jeff Wald.

Turpin shot himself in the head Monday while sitting in a parked car with his girlfriend outside his gym at about 4 a.m. Police are investigating, but have not yet disclosed a reason for the suicide. Turpin's manager has said the young fighter "had a lot of stuff on his mind," including the drive-by murder of a fellow Philly boxer.

Burnett suggested that Turpin's rough background may have played a part. "Najai wouldn't sleep on the bed at The Contender because he was so used to sleeping under the bed or in the closet for fear of various things, between bullets and burglars and robbers and home invasions and the sort of things that no one on this call has had to deal with," Burnett said.

Stallone said he did not believe The Contender somehow contributed to Turpin's death.

"This unfortunate occurrence seems to have nothing to do with boxing but other personal issues that we really don't know much about," said Stallone.

The actor is hosting The Contender with boxing legend Sugar Ray Leonard. The series will debut as scheduled Mar. 7 on NBC, despite the Turpin tragedy.

Turpin, whose nickname was "Nitro," is described by Stallone in the premiere episode as a "tough, punchy street kid from Philadelphia fighting for a better life for his family." He was one of 16 fighters duking it out in the ring for $1 million in prize money and a shot at a full-fledged boxing career.

Based on statement from the network that the Contender will not have to be substantially retooled in the wake of his death and subsequent comments made by Burnett, all signs indicate the scrappy middleweight with a 13-1 record may not have made it into the final round of the reality competition.

The final episodes of The Contender, which began taping six months ago, will feature live bouts with fighters selected by fans and will conclude with a championship showdown scheduled for May at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas.

"He's in multiple episodes," Burnett said Thursday. "There will be a tribute to him in the series. It's not something we're going to ignore. It's also something we're not going to change."

Both Stallone and Leonard paid tribute to their protg.

"I loved this man. I loved what he stood for. He was incredibly brave. When he was with his child, you saw the child in him come out," Stallone said.

"He was a softspoken young man who was both a talented boxer and also respected by his peers on the show. Everyone is highly distraught over this loss--he will be missed," said Leonard in a statement on NBC's Contender Website.

Both Stallone and Leonard planned to attend Turpin's funeral in Philadelphia set for Friday. Turpin is survived by his girlfriend and two-year-old daughter, both of whom are featured in the show. NBC is encouraging viewers to contribute to a trust fund set up for the little girl.

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.

Comment

• MAX
                      Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

That's sad.

Thanks for the info Al.
                      EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• redblkwht
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Man i cant wait till tomorrow, im hoping its as good.
                        The fight that is, i think it may be those 2 talking
                        smack between each other..if it is look out
                        for the big bombs.

EUAS

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

Yeah...I don't know if you guys know the guy who lost in the first fucking fight...but that guy is one badass middleweight...here's Peter Manfredo's website...

many thought he was the favorite to win this...

and they didn't really talk about it...but that fucking hack that beat him had to move up a division...he's not a natural middleweight...

it's boxing...so you have to fucking wonder..."was the fix in for ratings?"

I don't think the smack talkers are fighting...they were showing scenes of the fight from Monday...and at the end...they showed a glimpse of a different fight...
                          "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Rikk
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

They definitely tried to set him up as some sort of ROCKY story. There was no way Stallone didn't want an underdog to take the first episode. And an underdog will probably take the whole show too.

Still, great show.

Is tomorrow night's airing a repeat of the debut or the second episode?
                            Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                            Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                              Roth Army Caesar
                              • Mar 2003

second episode...

I think I know the matchup...hangon...

I saw a glimpse in what I think was a mistake...
                              "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

Working...