X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hard rock
    Head Fluffer
    • Oct 2004

Solo Dave vs Van Hagar

We all know that CVH outsold and still outsells Van hagar.

How about Solo Roth Vs Van Hagar?

How did F.U.CK out sell ALAE ?

Or How did Balance out sell YFLM. Any thoughts or ideas?

We all know grunge music killed a lot of 80`s rock bands careers including Roth. How did Van Hagar manage to last a few more years longer.

What did they do that Dave didnt. Food for thought. Any thoughts???
  • Bill Lumbergh
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

They had the Van Halen name to coast on. Even that started wearing thin, when Van Hagar's album sales dipped and they were opening up for Bon Jovi. A new Van Hagar album now would tank royally.

Comment

• Carmine
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
      They had the Van Halen name to coast on. Even that started wearing thin, when Van Hagar's album sales dipped and they were opening up for Bon Jovi. A new Van Hagar album now would tank royally.
      Spot on Bill...take the last 2 "best ofs"...2 new songs with Dave vs. 3 new songs with Sam.

any questions?

Comment

• hard rock
        Head Fluffer
        • Oct 2004

You have a point about the name. Name has a lot to do with marketing etc etc. But David LEE Roth is a name as well. He has a reputation.

Where did all his die hard fanatics go to during those years. I am talking about those same people who are holding their breath for a CVH reunion. Where did they go and why did they give up on Roth.

They were there for CFTH and EEAS and to a degree Skyscraper???

What happened?????

Comment

• Carmine
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by hard rock

What happened?????
          unfortunatly....the 90"s.

Comment

• secrets
            Foot Soldier
            • Apr 2004

I think Steve Vai and the 'Yankee Rose Band' jumping ship didn't help the situation one bit.
            Achtung Baby I say, I say...

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

ALAE at least went Gold. YFLM was a BIG departure from what Dave normally did. All I can say is...I never left!

Comment

• cwsmith17
                Sniper
                • Apr 2004

I never knew that Van Hagar opened for Bon Jovi.

That is absolutely pathetic!

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

hummmm...what a fresh, interesting topic that has never been talked about here...[/sarcasm]
                  Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• Anonymous
                    Banned
                    • May 2004

Well, I never saw this topic before, D-PAR.

I think that what happened was that Van Halen had the name and what they did with 5150 they did it throughout the rest of their albums.

Complete crap.

Davester had the name, but being the eternal kid, he loves experimenting, and that's what he did. Of course, that doesn't suit well with die-hard fans. You know the opinion of some people here about Skyscraper. They think it sucks. Same as with Diamond Dave, an album where Dave wanted to register a couple of his influences, with his own point of view - and also an excuse to finally release 'Ice Cream Man', which he had been sitting on for eight years.

So, what killed Dave commercially was his unwillingness to stop doing real art - real music. Makes sense, methinks.

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• squib
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Jan 2004

[i]
                      So, what killed Dave commercially was his unwillingness to stop doing real art - real music. Makes sense, methinks.

Cheers! :bottle: [/B]
                      couldn't agree more. being comercial and being an artist aren't the same thing

Comment

• vanzilla
                        Veteran
                        • Jul 2004

ALAE at least went Gold. YFLM was a BIG departure from what Dave normally did. All I can say is...I never left!
                        Same here Billy. You got to remember that thankns to Nirvana, all the hairbands were dying about the time ALAE came out. Dave unfortunately fell into that category. YFLM was a huge departure form Dave's normal routine, but I rank it as #2 on the Dave Solo Album Chart. I dug it.
                        Just because the title "moderator" is under my name doesn't mean I have to be nice to cunts like you. - DLR7884 to FPC

Vanzilla's New "Can't Get This Stuff No More" Video Coming Soon!

Comment

• philouze
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2004

I don't give a fuck about album sales..
                          The point is that I never stopped being a Dave fan, and I Always bought his records the week they were released.

ROTH THE FUCK ON

Comment

• jero
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by cwsmith17
                            I never knew that Van Hagar opened for Bon Jovi.

That is absolutely pathetic!
                            Oh yeah, in Europe (don't know in the US) but the tour for vh was cancelled right after the fifth show or something because of Alex neck problems.

Dave told several European Magazines that he would NEVER open for Bon jovi!

Comment

• fe_lung
                              Sniper
                              • Mar 2004

They were there for CFTH and EEAS and to a degree Skyscraper???

What happened????? [/B][/QUOTE]

VH was also a power ballad band by that point, as opposed to Dave who was all over the place. Rock, blues, vegas....

Comment

Working...