Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112

Thread: The New York Yankees 2005 Chatter

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Change the name to 'Best Player: American League'.

It's Most Valuable Player TO HIS TEAM...

(You knew I would whine about this...)

Ask yourself this question: Do the Yankees get as far as they did without Arod? Maybe.

Do they get as far as they did without Mariano RIvera? No freakin way.
    Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Brett
    I'm probably one of the few who thinks he deserved it
    :confused:

You mean you're one of the many who thinks he deserved it?
    Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yanks, Matsui agree to four-year deal
    Associated Press
    Posted: 7 hours ago

_
    NEW YORK (AP) - Hideki Matsui and the Yankees agreed Tuesday night to a $52 million, four-year contract that will keep the popular outfielder in New York.

Matsui's agent, Arn Tellem, and Yankees general manager Brian Cashman met the Nov. 15 deadline contained in Matsui's first contract with the team. That deal stated that if there was no agreement by then, New York would have to place the outfielder on unconditional release waivers, which would have prevented the Yankees from re-signing him until May 15.

"I know Hideki is relieved. This is where he always wanted to be," Tellem said. "His hope is to finish his career as a Yankee and help the Yankees win the World Series."

Matsui is to earn $13 million in each of the next four seasons, a baseball official familiar with the talks said on condition of anonymity because the team did not disclose the financial terms. Matsui was coming off a $21 million, three-year contract in which he earned an additional $1.5 million in performance bonuses.

New York scheduled a Wednesday news conference at Yankee Stadium to discuss the agreement, the richest for a Japanese player in the major leagues. It topped outfielder Ichiro Suzuki's $44 million, four-year contract with Seattle in December 2003.

"Both sides wanted to make a deal and ultimately we were able to agree on the numbers," Tellem said. "There was never any real problem. Brian and I have a long history of making deals. In my mind, I had no doubt at the end we would."

Cashman did not return a call seeking comment.

A three-time MVP in Japan's Central League with the Yomiuri Giants, Matsui has been one of the Yankees' most productive hitters since arriving in New York - and has played in every game the past three years. He batted .305 with 23 homers and 116 RBIs last season.

After agreeing to a new contract to stay on as general manager, Cashman said that re-signing Matsui was his first priority.

In other Yankees news, New York exercised its $1.5 million option on reliever Tanyon Sturtze rather than paying a $150,000 buyout. The 35-year-old right-hander was 5-3 with a 4.73 ERA and one save in one start and 63 relief appearances.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    12/02/2005 5:45 PM ET
    Yankees sign new setup man
    Right-hander Farnsworth will bridge gap to Rivera

NEW YORK -- The Yankees didn't take much time to replace Tom Gordon, signing Kyle Farnsworth to a three-year contract on Friday.
    Farnsworth's deal is worth $17 million, as he takes over the role of Mariano Rivera's primary setup man. That job had been filled for the past two years by Gordon, who agreed to a three-year, $18 million deal with the Phillies on Friday to become Philadelphia's closer.

"I just wanted to go to a team that was competing to win," Farnsworth said. "Closing, I've always wanted to do that, but at the same time, I wanted to be on a team and help it win whether I start, set up or whatever. The main thing was to be on a team that wins."

Farnsworth, who turns 30 in April, went 1-1 with 16 saves for the Tigers and Braves last season, posting a 2.19 ERA. The flamethrower, who has hit triple-digits on the radar gun, struck out 87 batters in 70 innings, holding opponents to a .180 average in 72 appearances.

The Yankees appeared to be set to land the right-hander on Thursday, only to have the Rangers throw their hat in the ring with a substantial offer. In Farnsworth's eyes, Texas was never really in the race.

"I didn't hear anything about them until yesterday when I was getting my physical from the Yankees," Farnsworth said. "If they had come out when the Yankees started and shown interest, maybe things would be different."

The Braves also tried to lure Farnsworth back to Atlanta, where he pitched last season after being traded by Detroit at the trade deadline. The Braves wanted to make Farnsworth their closer, but he decided that the Yankees were a better fit.

"The Braves dragged their feet a little bit," Farnsworth said. "When I got the offer from the Yankees, it was the best offer. This was where I felt the most comfortable. I had no bad thoughts or feelings about coming to New York, so that was my choice."

"During the free agent process, it's often about a player feeling wanted," said Barry Meister, Farnsworth's agent. "The Yankees made it so clear that he'd be an important part of their club. They were so proactive, the whole negotiation felt like a great fit."

One of those proactive moves involved a phone call from manager Joe Torre, who has been used as a recruiter in recent years. Torre has called three players this fall -- Farnsworth, Brian Giles and Scott Eyre -- but Farnsworth is the first to sign with the Yankees.

"He explained to me the interest the Yankees had in me, [and] talked about the city," Farnsworth said of the five-minute conversation. "He just wanted to make it clear [that the Yankees were interested]; it's not hearsay when it's coming from Joe Torre."

By signing Farnsworth before Dec. 7, the Yankees owe the Braves a first-round draft pick as compensation.

This offseason has been a big one for relief pitchers, starting with closers B.J. Ryan and Billy Wagner, who signed for a combined $90 million earlier this week.

Setup men have also cashed in, with Farnsworth the latest to ink an eight-figure deal. The Cubs signed Scott Eyre to a three-year deal worth $11 million and Bobby Howry to a three-year, $12 million contract.

"It's definitely a very important role. In many cases, games are decided in the seventh and eighth before it gets to the ninth," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said. "This winter, in such a thin market, the money has gotten so high because there are very [few] choices."

If Rivera finishes 47 games this year, a vested option for 2007 will automatically kick in. Should the closer choose to retire after that season, Farnsworth could take over the role in 2008. Farnsworth said the topic of being Rivera's successor did not come up in negotiations.

"I don't know what the plans are. My job is to set up in the eighth inning to get it to him in the ninth inning," Farnsworth said. "That's what my job is going to be for the next three years, and whatever happens after that will happen."

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Good deal for the Yanks...

Farnsworth is good...not sure if he's as good as Gordon over the long haul...but he's definately good...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Farnsworth is as Jekyll and Hyde as they come...

Sometimes he looks dominant as hell...

Then he'll turn around and be all over the place for a while....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah...over his career he's been up and down...

but not last year...

"Farnsworth, who turns 30 in April, went 1-1 with 16 saves for the Tigers and Braves last season, posting a 2.19 ERA. The flamethrower, who has hit triple-digits on the radar gun, struck out 87 batters in 70 innings, holding opponents to a .180 average in 72 appearances."

pitching in NY won't be easy...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dude can fuckin' BRING IT.

But I would have thought he would seek a bonafide closers job instead of the set-up role again.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, he can throw for sure...

But I have a feeling that playing in NY, combined with his propensity for wildness, may be a bad omen...

He surely wouldn't be the first good pitcher to not pitch well after signing there...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He sure won't.

Pavano was widely sought after last season ... ouch.

Loaiza ... man, the list goes on. A ton I'm not even mentioning and forgetting.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    lmfao Al...that doesn't eve dent the pitchers that have sucked...the Whitson...all the way through the Wrights...

and Al...he WANTS a closer's job...but WANTS money more...lmfao....

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ALinChainz
    Dude can fuckin' BRING IT.

But I would have thought he would seek a bonafide closers job instead of the set-up role again.
    He knows the closer job isn't available yet and I think he's comfortable with the idea.

If Rivera finishes 47 games this year, a vested option for 2007 will automatically kick in. Should the closer choose to retire after that season, Farnsworth could take over the role in 2008. Farnsworth said the topic of being Rivera's successor did not come up in negotiations.

"I don't know what the plans are. My job is to set up in the eighth inning to get it to him in the ninth inning," Farnsworth said. "That's what my job is going to be for the next three years, and whatever happens after that will happen."

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wright and Pavano had injury plagued seasons and the Yankees invested alot of money for them. I wouldn't write them off just yet. They'll be around until their contracts expire at the very least in my opinion.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wright is a walking injury...

His mechanics suck...Mazzone fixed them...

and he's back to just throwing hard...good luck with him...

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    12/16/2005 12:57 PM ET
    Report: A-Rod won't play in WBC

Despite saying earlier in the week that he was leaning toward playing for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic, Alex Rodriguez has decided not to participate in the event at all.
    A-Rod, who was born in the United States, is eligible to play for the Dominican because his parents were born there. But he told the New York Post in Friday's edition that he will not play for either country, as he doesn't want to dishonor either one.

"After thoughtful deliberations with my family, I am announcing my decision to withdraw from the World Baseball Classic," Rodriguez told the paper. "When faced with the decision to choose between my country, the United States of America, and my Dominican heritage, I decided I will not dishonor either."

Rodriguez had not committed to either country since the event was first announced back in July, looking for guidance from Major League Baseball and the Players Association.

Earlier this week, he told WFAN radio that he was leaning toward playing for the Dominican, though he admitted that injury was a concern for him.

"The World Baseball Classic is great for baseball and will bring notice to the proud citizens of countries of many Major League Baseball players," A-Rod said. "That is something I will watch with great interest and clear conscience as I prepare for the upcoming Yankee season."

Now, with his decision to back out of the event, Rodriguez will be with the Yankees for all of Spring Training, while teammates Derek Jeter, Robinson Cano and Bernie Williams -- assuming Williams re-signs with New York -- will play in the WBC. Hideki Matsui has not yet decided whether he will play for Japan.

"I am proud to be an American citizen and to have a Dominican legacy," A-Rod told the paper. "My commitment to baseball is secondary to honoring my patriotic duties to my country and my ancestors.

"Sports participation should only include the admiration and respect an athlete has for a nation and family. I intend to play baseball only when I am dedicated to both," he added. "Playing baseball for the New York Yankees allows you to honor and advance the interest of both without division."

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    12/21/2005 12:50 AM ET
    Damon, Yankees reach agreement

NEW YORK -- The Yankees fired the latest shot in their rivalry with the Red Sox, signing Johnny Damon to a four-year, $52 million contract to become their new center fielder.
    The two sides agreed to terms on Tuesday night, after the Yankees increased their offer from $48 million to $52 million. The deal, which was confirmed by a Yankees official, is contingent on Damon passing a physical.

Damon also confirmed the agreement in an interview with WBZ-TV in Boston, citing the Yankees' aggressiveness as a major factor in his decision to move from Fenway Park to Yankee Stadium.

"We know George Steinbrenner's reputation; he always wants to have the best players and I think he showed that tonight," Damon told WBZ. "He and Brian Cashman came after me hard and now I'm part of the Yankees and that great lineup. We're going to be a tough team to beat."

Although Cashman had maintained his position that Bubba Crosby would be the team's starting center fielder, it was assumed that the Yankees would make a move before Spring Training began in mid-February. After watching other teams -- most notably the Mets, Red Sox and Blue Jays -- make big splashes this winter, the Yankees finally landed their big fish.

Cashman, who could not be reached for comment on Tuesday, has been focused on improving the bullpen and finding an upgrade in center field throughout the offseason.

After adding Kyle Farnsworth, Mike Myers and Ron Villone to the bullpen, the Yankees came to a one-year, $2 million agreement with Octavio Dotel on Tuesday, finishing up the work on the relief corps. Then the Yankees came to terms with Damon, stunning the baseball world.

Although Damon will make $13 million per year over the next four years, it won't cause the Yankees' payroll to rise significantly, as Bernie Williams made about $12.3 million to play center last season. Williams will likely return as a bench player, as the Yankees are close to signing him to a one-year, $1.5 million deal.

Damon gives the Yankees their first true leadoff hitter since Chuck Knoblauch left after the 2001 season. New York used Derek Jeter in that spot for much of last season, but the Yankees' captain can now move back to his traditional No. 2 position in the batting order.

One of Damon's new teammates, Alex Rodriguez, said recently that he considered Damon to be one of the two best leadoff hitters in the game, along with Seattle's Ichiro Suzuki. Damon agreed with that assessment.

"They haven't had a championship since Chuck Knoblauch was there when they had a great leadoff hitter," Damon said. "I think the leadoff role has been under-appreciated. A good leadoff hitter is tough to find and I think New York just found the best leadoff hitter in the game."

Damon's agent, Scott Boras, had been looking for a seven-year deal for Damon, who was the top center fielder available on the free-agent market. But at the age of 32, it was unlikely that any team would make such a commitment to Damon.

Once he was willing to come down to a four-year deal, it became a matter of which team would step up with the best offer. Boston never moved from its original offer of $40 million, opening the door for the Yankees to steal him away from their rivals.

"I made contact with them and told [Boston manager Terry Francona] they really need to get going because if not, I'm going to be another team," Damon said. "Unfortunately, Boston had their plans. I'm not sure if they knew I meant it but now I'm a Yankee and hopefully they can go off and get the other center fielders they've been courting for the past month or so."

Apparently, Damon's goals changed over the past eight months, as he told MLB.com in early May that money would not be the determining factor in his decision.

"There's no way I can go play for the Yankees, but I know they're going to come after me hard," he said on May 3. "It's definitely not the most important thing to go out there for the top dollar, which the Yankees are going to offer me. It's not what I need."

Yet sometime in the next week, Damon will don the pinstripes and a Yankees cap at the Stadium, smiling proudly while flashbulbs pop all around him.

Damon, who was one of the major players in Boston's 2004 championship run, is well-known for his long hair and beard, but he knows that by taking the Yankees' money, those will both have to go.

"Without a doubt, George Steinbrenner has a policy and I'm going to stick to it," Damon said. "Our policy with the Yankees is to go out there and win and we're going to try and bring another championship to them."

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Damon's upside: He's Johnny Hustle and will throw his body around in CF...also he's the best lead-off hitter in the game right now.

Damon's downside: Bad shoulder, throws like a girl. Have fun watching EVERYONE go 1st to 3rd on anything hit to center. I predict at least four 'inside the park' HR's against the Yankees at the stadium. Michelle Damon is not that hot in person. I sold 4 Poweraids to her last year and she wears about five pounds of makeup. She is, however, nicely hot on TV, and you will be seeing plenty of her since she is an attention whore.

Shave and a haircut...50 Mil! ( I stole that from Weei...)

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He's definitely not the second coming of Joe DiMaggio or Mickey Mantle. But, he does make us better and that's what counts.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    12/22/2005 11:30 PM ET
    Damon to don pinstripes Friday
    Yankees' new center fielder to meet the media

NEW YORK -- The cameras will be rolling, the flash bulbs will be popping and the carving board will be hot on Friday, as the Yankees roll out the red carpet for their newest acquisition, Johnny Damon.
    Damon will be officially introduced as the Yankees' new center fielder at a 1 p.m. ET news conference in the Bronx as the Bombers show off their latest multi-million free agent signing.

The Yankees and Damon agreed to a four-year, $52 million contract Tuesday night, bringing one of the stars of Boston's 2004 World Series team to the Bronx. Damon took his physical in New York on Thursday, paving the way for Friday's press conference.

Because Damon's move to New York has been in the headlines for the past three days, it is unlikely there will be any real breaking news at Friday's introduction. Damon got his mandatory Yankee haircut on Thursday at Manhattan's Ishi Salon.

Damon hit .316 with 10 home runs and 75 RBIs last season for the Red Sox, scoring 117 runs as Boston's leadoff hitter. He will assume that role for the Yankees, allowing Derek Jeter to return to his more familiar No. 2 spot.

Damon will be the first regular center fielder for the Yankees other than Bernie Williams since 1992. Williams inked a one-year deal Thursday to be a bench player and part-time designated hitter.

For the Yankees, the Damon signing capped an offseason in which they added several arms to the bullpen and re-signed Hideki Matsui.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    12/27/2005 2:44 PM ET
    Matsui to sit out World Baseball Classic
    Japanese outfielder focused on championship for Yankees

NEW YORK -- Hideki Matsui has decided not to participate in the World Baseball Classic for Japan, despite the wishes of Japanese baseball legend -- and Japan's WBC manager -- Sadaharu Oh.

Matsui told Kyodo News that, after careful consideration, he determined playing in the event could impact his effectiveness during the regular season.

"The reason I decided to go to the United States was to try and become a world champion with the Yankees," Kyodo quoted Matsui as saying in a statement. "And I fear that chasing two goals might get in the way of that dream."

Matsui, who signed a four-year, $52 million contract with the Yankees in November, has received a tremendous amount of pressure in Japan to play in the event. Oh personally appealed to Matsui to join the team, but Matsui decided it was against his best interest.

"It is disappointing, but as with declaring free agency, it is the individual's decision," Oh told reporters in Tokyo. "He was wavering up until this point, so no, this was not unexpected."

Matsui informed Oh of his decision in a letter.

"He wrote that he wanted to be world champion with the Yankees, and that next year was very important to him," said Oh.

"I know that it would be ideal to play for both club and country," Matsui said, according to Kyodo. "And I understand that Sadaharu Oh and the fans were hoping I would do that."

Japan, which is part of Group A with South Korea, China and Chinese Taipei, will be home for the first round of the tournament, March 3-5 at the Tokyo Dome. That, of course, is the stadium in which Matsui played his entire 10-year career in Japan with the Yomiuri Giants.

Derek Jeter, Robinson Cano and Bernie Williams have agreed to participate in the event. Alex Rodriguez originally committed to play, but he didn't want to offend the U.S. or Dominican Republic by choosing which country to play for, so he pulled out.

Sixty-man rosters must be submitted by Jan. 17, with the 30-man rosters finalized 24 hours prior to the start of the tournament.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    12/27/2005 10:00 AM ET
    Mattingly gets another shot at Hall
    Donnie Baseball on ballot for sixth straight year

NEW YORK -- No one would ever argue that Don Mattingly's performance from 1984-89 wasn't Hall of Fame worthy.

The trouble for the former Yankees captain's Cooperstown case is that his career spanned from 1982-95, so voters are forced to consider more than his amazing six-year run.

In those six seasons, the Yankees first baseman averaged 26 home runs, 114 RBIs and a .327 average, playing for the American League All-Star team in each of those years.

But Mattingly's next six years were spent battling back problems, tarnishing his sparkling resume in the process.

"Mattingly was a great player, there is no question about that," said one Hall of Fame voter. "But when you stack his career up against those guys in the Hall, he just doesn't make the grade."

Mattingly won the American League MVP Award in 1985, batting .324 with 35 homers and 145 RBIs, also finishing in the top five in MVP voting in 1984 and '86. Mattingly, who won the AL batting title in 1984 (.343) also won nine Gold Gloves at first base in 10 years.

But from 1990-95, Mattingly averaged fewer than 10 home runs and 64 RBIs per season, topping the .300 mark just once, in the strike-shortened 1994 season.

"After the first half of Mattingly's career, I would have said he was a lock for Cooperstown," said another voter. "It's too bad he had as many physical problems as he did, because he could have been one of the all-time greats."

Mattingly's vote totals have waned each year he has been on the ballot. He received 145 of 515 votes (28.16 percent) in 2001, his first year of eligibility, finishing ninth among eligible players.

In 2002, Mattingly's support fell, as he finished 12th with 96 of 472 votes (20.34 percent). In 2003, he received only 68 of 496 votes, as he finished 15th with 13 percent of the vote.

Two years ago, Mattingly was listed on 65 of the 506 ballots, just 12.85 percent.

Last year, Mattingly finished 14th for a second consecutive ballot, as he was listed on 59 of the 516 ballots cast, just 11.4 percent. Only three players had fewer votes than Mattingly among those that received enough to remain on the ballot.

Don Mattingly's resume
    Teams: Yankees (1982-95)
    Key stats: .307 average, nine Gold Glove awards, 1984 AL batting title
    Awards: 1985 AL MVP, six-time AL All-Star, three AL Silver Sluggers (1985-87)
    Best HOF vote Pct.: 28 percent in 2001 (First year on the ballot)
    Peers in Hall: Wade Boggs, Paul Molitor, Eddie Murray, Dave Winfield, Kirby Puckett

Mattingly was asked a couple of years ago on his Web site whether he thought he would ever be elected to the Hall.

"The Hall of Fame would be a great honor, but I do not live my life based on whether or not that will ever happen," Mattingly wrote. "So in the grand scheme of things, it is not that important."

While voters feel that Mattingly's career as a whole doesn't match up against those who have been inducted, Donnie Baseball's supporters bring up the same name every year when this argument arises: Kirby Puckett.

Mattingly's career totals are eerily similar to those of Puckett, who was a first-ballot inductee in 2001 despite having his career cut short after the 1995 season due to irreversible retina damage in his right eye.

_

Mattingly retired with 2,153 hits to Puckett's 2,304, 442 doubles to Puckett's 414, 222 homers to Puckett's 207 and 1,099 RBIs to Puckett's 1,085.

Mattingly posted three more 100-RBI seasons than Puckett, two more 30-homer seasons, won one more MVP award and the same number of batting titles.

Puckett's advantage comes in team hardware, as he played an integral part in the Twins' two World Series titles in 1987 and '91. Mattingly, on the other hand, appeared in the postseason just once, losing in the Division Series in his final season of 1995.

Results of this year's Hall of Fame ballot will be announced on Jan. 10. Other candidates on the ballot include Rich Gossage, Bruce Sutter and Jim Rice, as well as first-time nominees Will Clark, Dwight Gooden, Orel Hershiser and Albert Belle.

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Mattingly should be in the Hall...

so should Jim Rice...

Stay Frosty!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
    Mattingly should be in the Hall...

so should Jim Rice...
    Andre Dawson is more worthy than both of them.

400+ Career HR's & Stolen Bases, multiple Gold Glove Awards, 1 NL MVP award; over 10 All Star appearances, etc...

The Hawk deserves to be in the H.O.F.....now.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    12/29/2005 3:57 PM ET
    Yanks close on Cairo, seal Dotel deal
    Infielder would return to Bronx for second stint with club

NEW YORK -- Miguel Cairo is headed back to the Bronx, and he'll be joining Octavio Dotel at Yankee Stadium in 2006.
    Infielder Cairo has agreed to a one-year, $1 million contract to return to the Yankees. The deal is contingent on Cairo passing a physical, which will likely take place in the next week.

Cairo played for the Yankees in 2004, starting 96 games at second base, five at third base and two at shortstop. Cairo hit .292 with six homers and 42 RBIs in 360 at-bats for the Yanks.

Last season, Cairo started 82 games at second for the Mets, as well as six at first and one in right field. He hit .251 with two homers and 19 RBIs in 327 at-bats.

After the 2004 season, the Yankees wanted to re-sign Cairo to play second, but his contract demands were too high. New York signed Tony Womack instead, giving him a two-year, $4 million deal, but Womack was replaced in May by Robinson Cano and traded to the Reds during the Winter Meetings.

Cairo will serve as the Yankees' utility infielder, backing up Cano, Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez.

While Cairo will help bolster the Bombers' bench, Dotel, whose signing to a one-year contract was formally announced on Thursday, will add yet another veteran arm to the Yankees' bullpen.

Terms of Dotel's deal weren't disclosed, but previously it's been reported to be worth $2 million base with incentives that can bring the total value of the deal to more than $3 million.

Dotel joins Kyle Farnsworth, Ron Villone and Mike Myers as the new pieces in the bullpen, as the Yankees try to strengthen the bridge to closer Mariano Rivera.

The Yanks had plenty of competition for Dotel, as the Mets, Indians and Red Sox also made a push for the 32-year-old, who appeared in 15 games for Oakland last season before undergoing Tommy John surgery on his pitching elbow.

Dotel has experience as a closer, saving 36 games for Houston and Oakland in 2004. He entered last season as the A's closer, but he blew four of his 11 opportunities before ending his season with the elbow injury.

This is not the first time that the Yankees signed a pitcher coming off Tommy John surgery. In 2003, New York signed Jon Lieber, a move which paid off with a 14-win season in 2004 after he had fully rehabbed.

Dotel believes he will be able to pitch in April, though one Yankees official said it could take until May or June for the reliever to be at full strength.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Michelle Damon is not that hot in person. I sold 4 Poweraids to her last year and she wears about five pounds of makeup. She is, however, nicely hot on TV, and you will be seeing plenty of her since she is an attention whore.
    I saw a pic of her for the first time yesterday and she didn't do anyting for me. I guess time will tell.

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dude, its about time you posted something that wasnt just a cut/paste article from somewhere else...I gotta tell you that I never read those. I think that most people who come in here also check the main sports websites, and already know about sports-news items.

Not trying to be a dick here, im just sayin'...

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    like, how do you feel about Jim Rice? Do you think he should be in the Hall? And you dont have to agree just because I think Mattingly should be in...

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dude, its about time you posted something that wasnt just a cut/paste article from somewhere else...I gotta tell you that I never read those. I think that most people who come in here also check the main sports websites, and already know about sports-news items.

Not trying to be a dick here, im just sayin'...
    Uh ok.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    like, how do you feel about Jim Rice? Do you think he should be in the Hall? And you dont have to agree just because I think Mattingly should be in...
    I'm not sure. I don't recall all of Jim Rice's stats. I know he was a home run threat.

I don't know if players should get in based on only "a certain time period" of their career. Or, should they be great/above average for most of their career.

For example: Clemens, Bonds, A-Rod are going to be shoo-ins.

Stay Frosty!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Jim Rice does not belong in the H.O.F.

I remember Jim Rice all too well being a Yankee who dates back to the 70's. Jim Rice was the most dangerous hitter in baseball between 1977-1979. His 1978 season was one of the best in the history of the game. In those 3 seasons his numbers match up against those of any H.O.F.er.

But..if you take away those three seasons and look at the rest of his career numbers, he was a consistent threat in that lineup who enjoyed some fine seasons, but they weren't H.O.F.- type numbers. It's not a knock on Rice, but if you look at the numbers objectively, with the exception of 1977-79, Rice wasn't even the best hitter on the Red Sox. Guys like Dwight Evans, Tony Armas, and Wade Boggs were bigger offensive threats in that lineup throughout the 1980's. Defensively, the guy was average to below-average. He wasn't a multi-tooled player.

Jim Rice did not dominate his position for at least a decade in order to be considered for the H.O.F.

Andre Dawson deserves to be in the H.O.F. before Jim Rice.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It is being reported that A-Rod has changed his mind and will play for USA in the upcoming World Baseball Classic.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
    It is being reported that A-Rod has changed his mind and will play for USA in the upcoming World Baseball Classic.
    LMAO.

Now I hear that A-Rod hasn't made up his mind.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Mike Piazza's agent has contacted the Yankees. No serious talks or discussions have occured as of now.

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    yay, a third DH...

Thread Information