X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boston_Kev
    Roth Army Recruit
    • Mar 2005

Van Halen's Gene Simmons demo #2

Does ANYONE know how to get a copy of this?

In 1977, Gene Simmons cut demos with Alex and Eddie Van Halen at Larrabee Studios in Hollywood, CA. Gene recalled, "I would usually go in and play all the instruments myself, but on this occasion I decided to call up the Van Halen brothers and ask them to come down and play. So both Alex and Eddie came down and played on cut 'Christine Sixteen', 'Got Love For Sale', and 'Tunnel Of Love', which later wound up on my solo record. We cut it live as a trio and Eddie came up with some solos afterwards. I liked his solo for 'Christine Sixteen' so much that when the band recorded it for 'Love Gun', Ace pretty much copied Eddie's solo note-for-note"
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

That would definitely be a rarity...

Comment

• Big Troubles
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Feb 2004

never heard of it. interesting.
      "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• Last_Child
        Commando
        • Oct 2004

hmm..Cool.
        "With a rate of fire of over 20 rounds per second, the IMI Micro Uzi is almost as fast as Yngwie Malmsteen, and 25.4 times more musical"

Worst of all... It's true..

Comment

• Carmine
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Big Troubles
          never heard of it. interesting.

...ditto. I would love to hear it.

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

Gene wanted EdWad, but if there's anything recorded with them Gene would've had it out there already.
            http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
            http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• Boston_Kev
              Roth Army Recruit
              • Mar 2005

Trust me, these songs were recorded. There are plenty of songs that KISS hasn't released yet. I'd say over 100.

In 1983 when KISS was looking for a guitarist to replace Vinnie Vincent, Eddie Van Halen asked Gene Simmons if he could join kiss because he wasn't getting along with DLR. Gene told him to stick it out and things would work out and they did (for a little bit).

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

Production of "Love Gun" was 1977. Van Halen was in their heyday.

Now I'm not disputing Gene wanting EdWad, but to say that he helped craft songs for "Love Gun" is a joke!

They have a sound that EdWad could play, but he didn't create those songs. Don't forget who engineered that album either!

Kiss has a ton of material in their vault, but if it was as good as you say they would've released in their boxset. Kiss doesn't release music that is incomplete or not up to their standards that's from their own lips, not mine. Don't forget the other side of the group, Paul Stanley. If you don't play the Gene & Paul game and play ball then you're out.

Look at the music that EdWad was creating in '77. It's nothing like "Love Gun"...it was better!

I think you want to believe the "missing songs" but it's not there.

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
                  Production of "Love Gun" was 1977. Van Halen was in their heyday.

Now I'm not disputing Gene wanting EdWad, but to say that he helped craft songs for "Love Gun" is a joke!

They have a sound that EdWad could play, but he didn't create those songs. Don't forget who engineered that album either!

Kiss has a ton of material in their vault, but if it was as good as you say they would've released in their boxset. Kiss doesn't release music that is incomplete or not up to their standards that's from their own lips, not mine. Don't forget the other side of the group, Paul Stanley. If you don't play the Gene & Paul game and play ball then you're out.

Look at the music that EdWad was creating in '77. It's nothing like "Love Gun"...it was better! If he played on Gene's solo then he would've listed him in the credits. The solo records were for creative control and would've been a major coup for him. He's not there.

I think you want to believe the "missing songs" but it's not there.

Comment

• Rikk
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
                    Kiss has a ton of material in their vault, but if it was as good as you say they would've released in their boxset.
                    Untrue. In the box set, Gene states in the liner notes that they intended to include the Alex and Eddie CHRISTINE SIXTEEN and GOT LOVE FOR SALE, but that Eddie was pretty much hard to track down and refused to give his permission (which is legally required), and then said he hopes to get permission in the future. But it's apparently totally true. Eddie himself has confirmed this session in interviews.
                    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• bueno bob
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jul 2004

Won't ever happen, for two reasons -

1 - Ed wants all the money; and

2 - Gene wants all the money.

With their combined monumental greed, I'd be very surprised to see them hit the stores at all, ever...I doubt they'd ever see their way through the royalties power struggle.
                      Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2004

WOW!

EdWad wrote Christine Sixteen, Got Love For Sale and Tunnel of Love and didn't get credit.

He didn't lose his tongue to cancer...the cat ate it!

Comment

• Rikk
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

He never WROTE the songs. He played on them. They are totally Gene's style.

Eddie couldn't write a rock 'n' roll lyric if his life depended on it.
                          Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                          Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

"I liked his solo for 'Christine Sixteen' so much that when the band recorded it for 'Love Gun', Ace pretty much copied Eddie's solo note-for-note"

On the liner notes for his solo album...Richie Ranno (from the Canadian band Starz plays on Tunnel of Love and has a more Ace sound than EdWad!),
                            Steve Lacey, John Shane Howell, and Joe Perry (plays on Tunnel of Love!)...no EdWad.

Now a jam session is a jam session, but to say that EdWad wrote the music to those...it's not accurate.

Comment

• Boston_Kev
                              Roth Army Recruit
                              • Mar 2005

NOBODY said that Eddie Van Halen wrote anything. Gene stated that when it was time to record "Christine Sixteen", Ace pretty much did the same solo EVH did on the demo. EVH didn't get credit because it was a similar solo, not exactly the same.

My original post came straight out of the KISSTORY book that cost like $150. I don't think they would publish that kind of bullshit in there.

Gene states that the song "Tunnle of Love" ended up on his solo disc. NOT the ont he did with the VH bros, just the song itself.

Someone said "Production of "Love Gun" was 1977. Van Halen was in their heyday."

"Love Gun" was recorded in May of 1977. The demos were created months before that.

From KISSTORY- 11/7/76 - Gene discovers "Van Halen" and soon produces their first demo for them. This demo includes: "On Fire", "Woman In Love", "House In Pain", "Runnin' With the Devil", "She's the Woman", "Let's Get Rockin'", "Big Trouble", "Somebody Get Me a Doctor", "Babe, Don't Leave Me Alone" and "Put Out the Lights". Unfortunately, Bill Aucoin and Neil Bogart pass on the opportunity...

Trust me, I am not making this stuff up. It is very true.

Comment

Working...