Member No
    Last Online
    04-18-2024 @ 10:36 AM
    Status
    Thanks

What Would David Lee Roth Do?

3/18/05

What would David Lee Roth do?

The current crop of rock bands is missing outrageous, shock-inducing front men

JOHN INTINI

While watching the VH1 countdown of the 100 Greatest Shocking Moments in Rock & Roll for the tenth time, it hit me. Somewhere between the stories of David Lee Roth offering roadies cash in exchange for groupies (No. 40) and Ozzy Osbourne biting the head off a dove (No. 18), I realized how bland and faceless the current crop of lead singers is in comparison to those of the past.

Nearly every band breaking in these days lacks personality -- something that was never said about U2, Kiss or Oasis during their infancy. For starters, try to name the lead singer of any of the cookie-cutter groups currently on the charts -- Modest Mouse, Keane, Franz Ferdinand or the Killers. Can't do it? Not surprising, since the closest we have to a burgeoning rock god in this post-boy-band era is Chris Martin. And he's more famous for being Mr. Gwyneth Paltrow, and giving his kid a silly name (Apple), than being Coldplay's lead singer.

Newer Canadian bands aren't any different. Except for Deryck Whibley of SUM 41 and Sam Roberts, it's a pretty anonymous lot. Just consider these Juno nominees: Billy Talent, Finger Eleven, Alexisonfire and the Trews. I hate to say it, but when it comes to personalities, there's barely a Matthew Good in the bunch.

Since radio leans toward safe pop (Barenaked Ladies and Maroon 5) and record labels seem more interested in developing solo artists (Norah Jones and Usher), it's becoming harder for rock bands -- never mind front men -- to make a lasting impression. And the emphasis on finding the flavour of the month doesn't help. "A buzz band today won't be a buzz band in three months," says Larry LeBlanc, Billboard magazine's Canadian bureau chief. "That wasn't the case -- even during Nirvana days. Back then, buzz bands lasted at least a year, which was long enough for front men to stick out."

The boy-band craze of the mid-'90s is also partly to blame. During the Backstreet Boys and 'N Sync era, record label executives' greatest priority was putting together a roster of cute guys to drive teen girls crazy. Style won out over substance. To some extent, that formula still exists, making it hard for the next Kurt Cobain to break through.

So in a few years, when the final dozen or so legends -- including Bono, Anthony Kiedis, Eddie Vedder and Michael Stipe -- finally head to the old-age home in Cleveland (a.k.a. the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame), there's going to be a major shortage of interesting front men. Foreseeing this vast emptiness, reality TV guru Mark Burnett is stepping up. The winner of his new show, Rock Star, will take over as lead singer of INXS -- replacing Michael Hutchence, who killed himself in 1997. Burnett's desperate attempt to exploit the situation is shocking -- but it wouldn't even make the Top 100.

To comment, email john.intini@macleans.rogers.com
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

The Ox
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-27-2012 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Did you find this in google as the first search when you put "David Lee Roth Dead" in the search box, coz i was checking whether or not he did (some idiot said he might have) and this is the first search result i got!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-10-2012 @ 06:38 PM
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status
    Thanks

I read that a few weeks ago. I believe it was from a writer in calgary. writer does bring up a few good points. but regardless of what a small percentage of people that believe in good classic rock music ala VH- there will always be the mainstream media, dictating what music "we" should listen to. It's all about the bling bling baby! Britney sells Pepsi better than VH- so wouldn't it make more sense for the record co. to push Britney more than VH? What we need to do as a minority, IF we really do want things to change, is we need to show the media conglomerates that we are money to them too. We can and will make a difference. Or we can just cave and listen to Britney too.

Perhaps You Know My Name.
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    02-27-2007 @ 07:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Are "The Darkness" a step in the right direction?

I have no idea if I should even like these guys or not.

Somebody take Roth's, Dio's, Cooper's, and all 'dem other awesome frontmen's DNA and clone em, woulda ya?

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-19-2021 @ 04:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Big Troubles
    I read that a few weeks ago. I believe it was from a writer in calgary. writer does bring up a few good points. but regardless of what a small percentage of people that believe in good classic rock music ala VH- there will always be the mainstream media, dictating what music "we" should listen to. It's all about the bling bling baby! Britney sells Pepsi better than VH- so wouldn't it make more sense for the record co. to push Britney more than VH? What we need to do as a minority, IF we really do want things to change, is we need to show the media conglomerates that we are money to them too. We can and will make a difference. Or we can just cave and listen to Britney too.
    Never! I'd rather get caught in bed with Paris "white trash dead beaver-pussy" Hilton, than hear my brain capacity dwindle away with every soul-less drum beat & nasal whine!

Corvette Driver
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2024 @ 04:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Dont worry guys,i'll be playin' live real soon
    the album is on the mix and the upcoming website is awesome
    you'll see
    you'll see...hope ya like it

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status
    Thanks

Hurry the Fuck up Calderone!c

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by WOAHYEAH
    Are "The Darkness" a step in the right direction?

I have no idea if I should even like these guys or not.

Somebody take Roth's, Dio's, Cooper's, and all 'dem other awesome frontmen's DNA and clone em, woulda ya?
    well i think that's part of the problem.. The biz has a lot of imitators and nobody stands out for being original. There was only 1 dio, Cooper and certainly only 1 Dave. I wont except a clone of them. The Darkness sounds good, and I like the idea that the singer is a big VH fan, but ppl need to find their own niche.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

Music goes in cycles.

It'll come back around.

Somewhere, a killer band is rehearsing.............................

Somewhere......................................

Corvette Driver
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2024 @ 04:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Matt white is right !
    somewhere....im sure there are plenty of super talented bands
    that will be mega rockstars of tomorrow.
    i hope the party come back ..im tired of slipknots,bizkits,and good charlottes ....

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-18-2024 @ 10:36 AM
    Status
    Thanks

The problem isn't the bands, it's the record labels.

They want a manufactured group that will hit #1 immediately, with their first album. The days of the artist taking three to four albums to find their niche and become popular are gone. You are usually in the bargain bin nowadays if you haven't made it by your fourth. Somebody like John Mellencamp, who made about six lackluster albums that didn't sell before he hit it big, would never make it in today's music scene. It's a tough gig out there. And it's a shame too.

guwapo_rocker
    What's Coldplay?

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Either you like The Darkness or you don't.....I don't wanna argue about falsetto and failure.

I will say that Hawkins' put on an amazing display of showmanship when I saw them last year.

I guess he and Jack White are in kinda the same boat as they both dabble with the guitar...Jack White has some charasma as well.

To keep this from turning into house of music material, I'd have to say Dave probably wouldn't recommend any return to the hard-rock glory-days stage mantra. He'd probably steer the boat towards a Grace Slick/Wendy O hybrid or something.
    Last edited by rustoffa; 04-11-2005 at 08:48 PM.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-29-2021 @ 06:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

You now what it's Missing Srlf Isteem, I'm Seroius I'm Look At on of like Van Halen, Aerosmith, GN'R, Motley Crue and AC/DC they sang Sex, Drugs and Rock And Roll. Unlike today where you just hear someone Whining about how they want to kill themselves because a girl "Ruined There Live". I mean You Would never Hear Diamond Dave sing about thtis crap. And you hear a whole bunch of No-Talent guitarist this day who apparently don't know how to do solos. Another thing is That Rock Has Become Way to political and I Don't Mean The Who "My Generation" political, I mean song lyrics like this "George Bush is a Evil, Blah, Blah". Look I don't care if you are Republican or Democrat, Politics and True Rock And Roll don't mix. Rock is not supposed to support a Presedential Canidate. God, maybe if they focused More on Music than politics we might auctually hear something Worth While.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    04-12-2005 @ 01:49 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I feel that David Lee Roth would get confused with that question, because he just finished a big back of crack, and would instead choose to ignore the question and listen to an awesome Sammy single.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by sammysupporter
    I feel that David Lee Roth would get confused with that question, because he just finished a big back of crack, and would instead choose to ignore the question and listen to an awesome Sammy single.
    What are you wearing?

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ouch!!! I mean you punctured the skin on that one, I'm wearing some PJ's, Hell yeah, just like my boy sammy, drinking some Cabo. Bitch.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You gotta be wearing a nighty...cuz only a CUNT would make such a comment.........C-U-N-T.

Leave the light on!

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Once again you have left me speechless, I'm not sure what to say after that zinger. All I know is that any dumbass with a keyboard could make a reply like yours. Get your head out of your ass and make an argument. shit head. Why's dave so much better?

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So young, so angry! DAMN YOU van hagar!

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

nice photoshop. bad comeback.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

OWNED. Like NECKBONE!

Sit down Waldo!

Class is in session!!!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-30-2011 @ 12:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by sammysupporter
    I feel that you will choke to death on a chicken McNugget...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2008 @ 02:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

At least we know exactly what "sammysupporter" is.

A peanut shell and rubberband.

I'll be appearing all week.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-30-2011 @ 12:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Matt White
    So young, so angry! DAMN YOU van hagar!
    Grate pic!!! The only thing I would change is to make Mike into Toto.

...I guess in this scenario, the Sheep would be Munchkins?

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-04-2006 @ 12:01 AM
    Status
    Thanks

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....thats an awesome fucking PIC MAN!!!!! Love the photoshopping....but in regards to bands today and how much they suck...well, i agree....their nameless.....the darkness is putrid....i still dont know the singers name nor do i care cuz like someone else mentioned, dont know who, but their just a cheap imitation!!! The only two bands that come close are velvet revolver and the white stripes when it comes to being original and standing out from the rest. The only problem with those two bands in particular is that well, velvet revolver is a recycled band.....NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT AT ALL, but whatever gets people talking, and the white stripes, are fucking fabulous, and everyone knows who Jack White is cuz hes original in his own right, but theres only two of them....so they lack that "band" thing....their still a band of course, a very different band, but u know what i mean....but fuck, VR and TWS are the only two bands these days that I give a shit about what they have to say.....and Greenday, I forgot, but their not really new....these bands get people talking still and thats great! But dont worry friends, there will be a band, as great as Van Halen, as Zep, a great band will come....dont you
    worry folks.....its happening as we speak.....you'll see!!!!!

Thread Information