Thread: Just Saw VAI and SHEEHAN concert

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Just Saw VAI and SHEEHAN concert

Just saw Vai with Sheehan from the 2nd row of Cleveland's House of blues, a week ago. Thought it was the best concert ever, but i just realized one thing could have made it better...if DAVE came out and jammed with them! Can somebody mention that to DLR? I think he needs to get another album with the superheros. Who wouldn't like that?

~Mo Fo
    ~Mo Fo

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Never happen

I spoke to Steve last month and I asked him if he'd ever consider a DLR 'reunion' and he said that he's over it and would never consider it.

This goes for anything to do with Whitesnake as well, fwiw

SHEEP PEN GUNTKEEPER
    Veteran

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I saw Steve in Nashvegas last month and it sucked ass. Dave would be retarded to want to do anything with Steve these days.
    Just because the title "moderator" is under my name doesn't mean I have to be nice to cunts like you. - DLR7884 to FPC

Vanzilla's New "Can't Get This Stuff No More" Video Coming Soon!

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    agree with you vanzilla vai's shows have become "odd" considering he is ,whether you like him or not,a very good guitar player,its like he's just playin shit he wants to hear

SHEEP PEN GUNTKEEPER
    Veteran

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by jojo2371
    agree with you vanzilla vai's shows have become "odd" considering he is ,whether you like him or not,a very good guitar player,its like he's just playin shit he wants to hear
    Couldn't agree with you more. I'd love to play guitar like Steve. However, I wouldn't waste my time seeing him in concert again just to hear an hour of WIDDLY WIDDLY WIDDLY WIDDLY - DOING DOING DOING DOING.

No kidding man - ask Hard Rock 69 - he was there. An hour through the show half of the crowd bolted because he was playing nothing but a bunch of alien zen new age bullshit.

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hey, I'd like to sit here and defend Vai, but it's a matter of opinion. Sorry to hear he ain't interested in a Roth combo.

SHEEP PEN GUNTKEEPER
    Veteran

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by jojo2371
    And a 5 star vote to you for seeing it my way jojo.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Vai will always be in the top 10 of my fav guitarists and I'll always buy a ticket to watch him play.

SHEEP PEN GUNTKEEPER
    Veteran

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by mofo
    Hey, I'd like to sit here and defend Vai, but it's a matter of opinion. Sorry to hear he ain't interested in a Roth combo.
    No man - I have no problem if you like the show. Everybody's entitled to their own taste in music (as long as they don't think Van Hagar is better than CVH). It's just that the concert I saw last month, compared to the time I saw him in 96 didn't hold up. He's gotten too weird. Some people like it, others (like me) don't. That's all, no big deal. It would be great to see him work with Dave if he ever got off of this japanese alien zen kick that he's been on. I think he's trying to be too much like Zappa. And really, the world only needs one Frank Zappa.

SHEEP PEN GUNTKEEPER
    Veteran

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by fullshred
    Vai will always be in the top 10 of my fav guitarists and I'll always buy a ticket to watch him play.
    I think he's a great guitarist - I have most of his albums. I just don't like the direction he's taken his music. That's all, no biggie.

5 stars for liking Steve. The guy's a great player - I'd just like him to get back to his roots.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I saw him on the G3 tour he did with Satriani and Fripp recently.

I was so relieved when he came on after Fripp.

Fripp's set sucked! I couldn't even see him, he was sitting down and he was playing this hypnotic shit!

Vai is one of my favourite guitarists and I really like his records. I don't think I'll get his recent one, though.
    ROTH ARMY YOUTUBE CHANNEL:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=RothArmyVideos

"May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face." - Frank Zappa to Tipper Gore

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He's def. expanding his 'horizons' so-to-speak. I'm not found of everything he does either. It would be great to see him perform again in a band playing classic shred guitar behind the likes of DLR. He'd sell a hellava lot more albums and concert tickets, but then he'd be giving up his 'artistry' and CONTROL! Stevie does as Stevie dreams and some of it is nightmarish even to stalwart fans.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's 'fond'

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just want to assure you all that I have not bought a Van Halen / Van Hagar album since "1984", and will not, either. I did go to the VH show on their last tour because my friend had a free extra ticket, and it was a very boring show, as you may have guessed.

The Vai show, however, was in my opinion, the best concert i ever did see. They played like superheros! I have not seen DLR live yet, though. I also think Vai is the most innovative guitarist since Jimmy Hendrix and classic Eddie. It might just be too much for the average people to handle, and that's fine. He may seem like a bit of a wanker to most, but I'm impressed. Plus, Billy Sheehan is INVINCABLE. Nobody can even touch him on the bass. Put the two of them together and add the worlds greatest frontman, and what a show it could be / was. I'm sorry I was to young to see them on the Eat'm + Smile tour. Anybody got a live concert bootleg video of that era they can arrange to "trade" or sell me?

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by vanzilla
    Couldn't agree with you more. I'd love to play guitar like Steve. However, I wouldn't waste my time seeing him in concert again just to hear an hour of WIDDLY WIDDLY WIDDLY WIDDLY - DOING DOING DOING DOING.

No kidding man - ask Hard Rock 69 - he was there. An hour through the show half of the crowd bolted because he was playing nothing but a bunch of alien zen new age bullshit.
    lol yeah i saw him at the rams head tavern in baltimore ,kinda hard to leave early when you've paid for dinner! but yeah it was like everybody wanted to hear call it sleep ,so he plays the intro ,everybody starts applauding then he drops the song and heads off into a new age dirction for 10 mins ......wtf ????

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by vanzilla
    WIDDLY WIDDLY WIDDLY WIDDLY - DOING DOING DOING DOING.
    No new age sh!t at this show in Cleveland. Just a billion notes per hour going WIDDLY WIDDLY WIDDLY WIDDLY - DOING DOING DOING DOING.
    And it was cool as hell!

Nigel
    I saw G3 in Toronto in November of 2003 and consequently bought Steve's "Live in Astoria".

Great stuff ( including Shy Boy) and many other "not-so widdly-widdly" MUSIC. Saw Steve after and talked to him for 20 mins. with my 13 yr.old son. Steve is so humble, so great, so classy and Billy Sheehan when I asked him about Dave, said " I wouldn't go back, because some of us have to grow up, however, he still loves Dave, even though Billy always had to buy the Jack Daniels". Typical Dave. You want to drink with me, then buy it!

Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan are class acts, phenominal players, even though Satriani is a little more "accessible" music-wise, you cannot berate the brilliance that Dave noticed 20 years ago.

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Nigel
    I saw G3 in Toronto in November of 2003 and consequently bought Steve's "Live in Astoria".

Great stuff ( including Shy Boy) and many other "not-so widdly-widdly" MUSIC. Saw Steve after and talked to him for 20 mins. with my 13 yr.old son. Steve is so humble, so great, so classy and Billy Sheehan when I asked him about Dave, said " I wouldn't go back, because some of us have to grow up, however, he still loves Dave, even though Billy always had to buy the Jack Daniels". Typical Dave. You want to drink with me, then buy it!

Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan are class acts, phenominal players, even though Satriani is a little more "accessible" music-wise, you cannot berate the brilliance that Dave noticed 20 years ago.
    True dat.
    Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Vai plays on a couple tracks of the new Motorhead album doesn't he?

Nigel
    I hope he plays better than Lemmie "Ace of Spades" grunge mouth.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'll agree that Vai's latest stuff seems to be the shit that he wants to hear, and obviously is what he hears inside his head. Being a guitar player, I can appreciate what he's doing on the cd's and on stage, but isn't always the nicest on the ears. I'm a fan and always will be. I keep buying his cd's and seeing him live when I get the opportunity. I enjoy the shows as I would imagine that most guitarists would... with jealousy(lol). I am glad that someone pushes the envelope for us guys who don't have his chops.
    dolamite mother fucker

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Yeah, Steve is a great guitarist no doubt, but I am bored shitless by his current 'direction' (out into space and beyond).

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Vai is well aware that he could sell more albums if he was more commercial and that his audience is mostly made of of musicians. Not everyone has to sell a gazillion albums. It is good to have guy's like Steve around just for the sole purpose of elevating creativity and chops. Besides he probably doesn't need the money so it would be a shame to waste his talent on a more comercial endever.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Didn't Dave say in his book that Steve and him parted ways because Steve wanted to be more of a crazy guitar artist than a lead guitar player in a rock band?

The thing about both Vai and Sheehan, they both know David Lee Roth gave both of them a huge break. Both Vai and Sheehan have said Dave certainly is the best at what he does. I just think it was different personalities and goals. Shit, I certainly can't see Joe Satriani being on Dave's stage. That dude is a good player but just doesn't have it as far as being a rockstar is concerned. I always thought Steve Vai looked like a poser on Dave's stage. Eddie Van Halen really was the best of both worlds. He was the nutcase guitar artist that also made a fabulouse rock star. Now crazy Eddie wants to hide from that image. Probably because he couldn't pull it off without Dave. At least Steve Vai has a successful solo career going. Eddie never could do what Steve has done because he's too much of a drunk, egoed, fuckhead.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I saw Steve and Billy, and it was fucking amazing!!!!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just saw Vai with Sheehan from the 2nd row of Cleveland's House of blues, a week ago. Thought it was the best concert ever, but i just realized one thing could have made it better...if DAVE came out and jammed with them! Can somebody mention that to DLR? I think he needs to get another album with the superheros. Who wouldn't like that?

~Mo Fo
    As Dave said back in 2002 "I don't jam"
    Remember when you see Dave you don't just see a gig, you see a *show*
    Dave is an action figure!

JESTER GENERAL
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: Just Saw VAI and SHEEHAN concert

Just Saw VAI and SHEEHAN concert one thing was missing!
    Yeah, a fire exit!
    Originally posted by Brett
    Is life this boring in Syracuse?
    Originally posted by Jesterstar
    Life in Syracuse has been compared to your sex life, so yes it's lifeless and boring.
    http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attac...&postid=496072

Liberace move over, there’s a new Queen in town!

Thread Information