X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WARF
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

David Lee Roth on Jason Becker.

"Well, trying to hire genius is like designing art by committee—damn near impossible. But I came so close you could feel the heat coming off of it, with a fellow named Jason Becker. Jason was maybe twenty, twenty-one years old. His parents had been like Haight-Ashbury hippies. So instead of growing up listening to Ed Van Halen records and duplicating that, he had grown up listening to all the old classics I had, as per his parents—Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Crosby, Stills and Nash. What a wealth of references in his playing. He was just finding his way. You could hear the influences and name them if you were sharp. And he was a season or two away from where you couldn’t name the influences anymore. It would then be a signature sound. He would become Jason Becker the guitar player, as opposed to a guitar player.
    We made the album A Little Ain’t Enough. And as we were working on the songs, he was complaining of numbness in his leg. He was having a stiff leg, he was having trouble moving around.

He had such a full, substantial, articulate sound, played through the simplest equipment—one amp head, one set of speakers, a foot pedal or two, all of it Dennis-the-Menaced together with spit and chicken wire. That kid could move air, man. And the kindest, gentlest, most flexible, absorbing, want-to-learn spirit that I’ve ever really worked with.

Big hands, like six feet tall, just poised, poised. It turns out that that little leg problem was ALS; he had Lou Gehrig’s disease. Today he’s in a wheelchair and that’s it. I cried when that verdict came in. The world was waiting to print his picture, man. And he got struck down way too fucking early in the game.

Soon as he realized that he was going to start stiffening up all the way around, instead of balling up in depression, Jason just went to work big time. As this whole voodoo situation increased, he learned to use computers and worked through other musicians and folks, developed a support system. And released a solo album."
  • GAR
    Banned
    • Jan 2004

Roth shoulda mentioned how much he owes him in royalties.

Comment

• Mezro
      Full Member Status

• May 2004

Originally posted by GAR
      Roth shoulda mentioned how much he owes him in royalties.
      And how many times he has visited/called him in the last 10 years.

Mezro...a prime example of DLR in PR/bullshit mode...
      Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Comment

• WARF
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

The Jamacian Rapper from No Big Ting just recieved a royality check for $2.13 .... and bought a couple beef patties with it.... as reported from Daves official site...

Comment

• Warham
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

Dave hasn't been very friendly to Mr. Becker, and I know from recent interviews with Becker, he was none too pleased.

Comment

• BrownSound1
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Mar 2003

Jason...it just breaks your heart to see him like that. I know he's done two interviews for us, and he typed it himself. Can you imagine what kind of patience the man has to attempt to do that? We will always be greatful for those interviews...in fact those mean the most to me personally of any we have had, and I don't even know the guy.

Comment

• Panamark
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Wow, a thread dissin Dave ??

And seriously too....
              BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Cathedral
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

The day the Army turned on Roth.......Who'd of thunk it?

Is this the last day for humanity?

Comment

• Panamark
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Do we all pack up and go home now ??
                  Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

My take, some people find it too hard to handle seeing someone
                    they genuinely care for in such a condition. Some people can deal
                    with it, some cant. We all deal with things in our own way.
                    Doesnt mean the person isnt caring, just that its too personal
                    and hurtful for them to experience, when they actually do care
                    more than anything..

These people normally suffer immense guilt for not being able
                    to handle these situations ....
                    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Cathedral
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

I think it's sad that Dave hasn't shown him any respect since they parted ways, actually.
                      I can see what you're saying though, Pana.
                      Seeing someone being destroyed is a tough thing to do, and it definately takes strength, believe me on that.
                      It's a million times tougher when you love that person with all your heart.

I just read that Becker Interview and i have to say, it's a bit sad for Dave to say how killer Jason was yet he won't go see the dude.

My respect for Dave just dropped a few points on that revelation.
                      After 20 years i never thought that would be possible.

Comment

• Panamark
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Agreed CAT,

Im just trying to give *something* positive for people to consider.
                        Sad state of affairs for sure....
                        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Cathedral
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2004

That's because you're a positive guy, that's why we all love ya, broham...

I read that interview and threw in ALAE, the dude just amazes me and i haven't listened to this album start to finish in years.

Comment

• Warham
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

It's really about the only thing I rip Roth on, but since we all do shit like that, it doesn't make me like Dave any less.

Comment

• academic punk
                              Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
                              My take, some people find it too hard to handle seeing someone
                              they genuinely care for in such a condition. Some people can deal
                              with it, some cant. We all deal with things in our own way.
                              Doesnt mean the person isnt caring, just that its too personal
                              and hurtful for them to experience, when they actually do care
                              more than anything..

These people normally suffer immense guilt for not being able
                              to handle these situations ....
                              Good points, but here's the rub: Dave is always very quick to let the world know his background as a "Greeen Beret" at hospitals beofre VH took off: packing severed limbs to the freezer, taking cigarette breaks with his arms covered in blood, etc. Also, his recent EMT gig. He's familiar with far worse.

It *IS* different when somone is just a patient as opposed to a friend or loved one. But Dave - heck, we've all - been around long enough and experienced enough to not abandon somoene altogether when tragedy befalls them.

Then again, Becker - from Dave's perspective - wasn't so much a friend, as a business associate and employee, and a brief one at that. In those terms, it's maybe not so bizarre that Dave has not maintained contact through the years.

His respect for Becker was shown through his compassionate words in CFTH. Dave seems to have a limited number of people he cares about in his world (once when asked who his best friend was, he didn't even understand the question, and eventually said his sister), so this emotional distance is consistent.

Comment

Working...