Thread: Marshall JCM series

pongracj

Marshall JCM series

Whats does everyone think of Marshall Amps.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I love them. Ive got a split channel/reverb JCM800 100 watt head and slanted Quad box at the moment. Sounds most excellent. I can plug my Destroyer in directly, no effects or distortion boxes, and get a great sound. Both at high and low volumes. A lot of people complain that you cant get them to overdrive at low volumes, but this particular model, no problemo.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

pongracj

JCM 900 Dual Reverb

This is a pic of my rig. Its a Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb, with a MG412B. The amp is all tubes rated at 50 watts. Vary clean and clear amp.

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-19-2021 @ 04:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I'd love a JCM 2000 DSL, but currently I'm short on cash so I'll have to work with the MG head that I have.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-20-2007 @ 02:36 AM
    Status
    Thanks

jcm 800 rulez

Fulfee Perferlert
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-23-2012 @ 03:30 AM
    Status
    Thanks

SOLDANO!

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-20-2007 @ 02:36 AM
    Status
    Thanks

yep ... and I still have two of the old ADA MP-1 (2.01) preamps with so called JCM-modification ... very nice too and very flexible

Gulf Coaster
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2010 @ 04:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks

5150 II, It's a Marshall and Soldano in one package...

Fulfee Perferlert
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

really?
    i thought they were supposed to be complete shite

Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2014 @ 08:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The Triple Super Lead is most bitchin'....but no current Marshall can hold a candle to the older Plexis...50 watt or 100, choose your poison.

Gulf Coaster
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
    really?
    i thought they were supposed to be complete shite
    They are known to be a one trick pony, but i'm a one trick jockey so we are perfectly matched, lol.

I like them alot and wouldn't give mine up for the world. I guess it is due to the fact that it embodies what i like from two of my favorite amps but in one package.
    To me it sounds great by itself, but when i add the effects rack i find i have the perfect amp for my applications.
    It's like a Marshall and a Soldano in one amp. i had an original Lucky 13 many moons ago and was never rich enough to own a Marshall, but the 5150 II just moved me.

The original 5150 in my opinion was junk, but only because the clean channel was anything but clean...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Brownsound1
    The Triple Super Lead is most bitchin'....but no current Marshall can hold a candle to the older Plexis...50 watt or 100, choose your poison.
    Brownsound1, just wondering if you consider the JCM800 as current or not ? Some of the recent Marshall's I have tried dont seem to have that same sound, especially the Valvestates (for obvious reasons). But the 800's were great IMO.

Fulfee Perferlert
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

never played a TSL but had a go with a DSL and thought the sound was very buzzy, sounded like a lot of hornets with a bad temper

Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2014 @ 08:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Panamark
    Brownsound1, just wondering if you consider the JCM800 as current or not ? Some of the recent Marshall's I have tried dont seem to have that same sound, especially the Valvestates (for obvious reasons). But the 800's were great IMO.
    Nah, the JCM 800 is what, 20 years old now or something? It has its own unique voicing...as in 80's Metal, and that is a tone I like. I can't stand any of the Valvestate amps, or those modelling amps that Marshall has. The DSL and the TSL are the same amp, but with the TSL having that super overdriven lead channel.

Mr. Grimsdale, I think you would find the DSL to be a pretty decent amp if you crank the shit out of it, and not turn up the preamp gain so much.

Having said all of that, you still can't go wrong with a Plexi.

fuzzman
    Well... let's be a tad honest... The JCM 800s amps are fine workhorses, since they have been used through zillions of recordings and shows... They ruled the stages of most hard rock and metal acts all along the 80's... But they remain a single channel amp... If you need, say 2 or 3 distinct tones, you would need to purchase 2 or 3 of those heads and an amp loop-switcher and a dedicated custom switching pedalboard to use'em... And their costs have raised crazy since cats like Zakk Wylde and all the Nu Metal scene are praising its consistence and tone... Frankly, there are many others amps wich are delivering the goods for way cheaper prices... think ENGL, VHT, Diezel...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuzzman ?? My JCM800 is split channel. I have seperate controls for my clean and dirty channel, and its foot switchable.

pardo
    I hocked my 5150, just couldn't dial out the fuzz on the lead channel. Changed tubes, pulled tubes, changed pickups. I loved the rythme channel - nice and beefy. But the lead channel was too hi endy. The problem was the shared eq block - didn't work for both channels. 5150II fixed that problem, but I hear they don't sound as good as the original - never played one myself though.

Got a TSL 100 and love it. Out of the box, they don't sound so good. But get a nice set of JJs in there, bias the thing and turn it up - very nice. No - not the same as the older plexis. Not at all. You can tell its a marshall, but it has its own character. Like that there's 3 channels.

Something that I realized long ago - there is no single amp that will do everything you want. You're gonna have to compromise. I compromised a bit with the TSL - doesn't sound quite as good as others. But it still makes me smile when I take it off standby. But if I bought a plexi, I'd be sittin with 1 channel. Maybe one day that will suite me...

Beer Drinker&Hell Raiser
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-29-2023 @ 11:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by pongracj
    This is a pic of my rig. Its a Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb, with a MG412B. The amp is all tubes rated at 50 watts. Vary clean and clear amp.
    I have the exact same setup. That amp was a real warhorse for me; played it for 12 years in many different bands and bars, lots of recording work, and never once had a problem with it. Ever. Never even had to change a tube.

My early '70s Gison SG and a few pedals with that head produce a wicked, wicked tone.

It's also pretty versatile, for a Marshall.

After using both channels for a few years, I actually found myself eventually just overdriving the clean channel all the time and barely using the lead one. Got an awesome Angus/Malcom dogbark powerbite out it.

These days, I'm playing way more acoustic. My CF Martin is the new Gibson, for me, and I fucking love it.

Gulf Coaster
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by pardo
    I hocked my 5150, just couldn't dial out the fuzz on the lead channel. Changed tubes, pulled tubes, changed pickups. I loved the rythme channel - nice and beefy. But the lead channel was too hi endy. The problem was the shared eq block - didn't work for both channels. 5150II fixed that problem, but I hear they don't sound as good as the original - never played one myself though.

Got a TSL 100 and love it. Out of the box, they don't sound so good. But get a nice set of JJs in there, bias the thing and turn it up - very nice. No - not the same as the older plexis. Not at all. You can tell its a marshall, but it has its own character. Like that there's 3 channels.

Something that I realized long ago - there is no single amp that will do everything you want. You're gonna have to compromise. I compromised a bit with the TSL - doesn't sound quite as good as others. But it still makes me smile when I take it off standby. But if I bought a plexi, I'd be sittin with 1 channel. Maybe one day that will suite me...
    I owned one of each and the II sounds a ton better and cleaner than the original. They are however a one trick pony on both counts.
    the II has an extra pre-amp tube (6) and it just flat out cranks...

But in the end, nothing compares to Marshall Tone.....If i had more money when i was in the market i'd have gotten the Marshall and it was my first choice.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Heres my old JCM800 split channel, and an ancient old silver clothed quad box. Fuzzman, check it out, you can see the controls for the two channels. (Well maybe if I could upload a decent sized pic you could)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I wish Sarge would increase pic sizes.. Heres one of the head....

Fulfee Perferlert
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

nice head

ooh no missus no

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I passed this mechanical workshop in Sydney today, and they had a grate business name "Unlimited Head Jobs". Their sign sure catches your attention !

Fulfee Perferlert
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

could you explain please

i don't understand

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Theres this mechanical workshop in Sydney that fixes heads on car engines. Their business name is "Unlimited Head Jobs". They have their business name stuck on a big sign on top of the workshop.
    It certainly grabs your attention

Fulfee Perferlert
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

i still don't get it

am i missing something

Fulfee Perferlert
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

oh the comedy

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-10-2012 @ 06:38 PM
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by pongracj
    Nice stack. Damn, if I only had the cash. lol If its not the pedals, its the amp. Man, here i was thinking about grabbing another guitar. lol Guess I will work a few more jobs and save up. We've got a pawn shop in town with tons of marshall stacks, old ones. Im gonna check them out and see if the owner has any clue what he thinks there worth. Maybe I'll get lucky.

diamond den™
    I played through a '82 JCM twin channel head with matching red cab a few weeks ago. It is/was selling for $1700.

Nice Amp...shame it isn't as good as a soldano.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    05-21-2013 @ 07:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Since we rebuilt my JCM 800 50 watt, I'm okay with it. It's the same circuit board as the JMP's pretty much, only that the power supply is more stout at about 560 volts (measured) and the output tranny is more hotter.

Those filter caps SUCK MY ASS though, people! Toasted 'em immediately upon a fresh retubing, biasing and ripping out that crappy mod that was in it.

Filter capacitors look like these tall blue or black cans with a plastic film shrunk upon it on the size of salt n pepper shakers.. some nuts say they should never be replaced, I say they gotta GO!

My symptom was buzzing noise and smoke.. I thought it was gonna be the output tranny so I freaked a little, but it was fine.

After owning JCMs my opinion changed of them from "requires complete overhauling to become adequate" to "great as power amps to drive from another amp's main voice" so I wouldn't advise against owning a JCM if you can seek out first who in your community is a "Tube Jockey" and can change the gain stages around for more of an active response.

Most people find JCM's adequate as-is, because their main tone is from their pickups and pedals, but I love extreme volumes in multiples of 100 watts to really do the job right, or its not even worth getting outta bed to pursue - because I can just play in the home to write tunes and record at low volumes. So if the tone and volume don't rock my boat and i'm not in a band to utilize the intense volumes, I just stay in and store the stuff till needed.

I am finding however that my modded 50 watter is quite sweet at low to medium volumes but in the studio cranked past 6 or 7 it loses its wind. Which may be the replacement capacitors: I'm gonna change 'em again and see if maybe it's just a voltage dropping problem past that 6 to 7 volume point...

Thread Information