Thread: Sammy Hagar Calls Reunion With Van Halen 'Inevitable'

TMR

Arrow Sammy Hagar Calls Reunion With Van Halen 'Inevitable'

Having just wrapped a "who-would-have-thunk-it" co-headlining tour with the guy he replaced in Van Halen 10 years before leaving the band himself, Sammy Hagar is now mentally preparing for a reunion with Eddie, Alex and Michael.

"I think a reunion is inevitable," the self-proclaimed "red rocker" said backstage at last week's MTV Video Music Awards, shortly after presenting an award with David Lee Roth. "I mean come on, how could it not [happen]?"

Hagar confessed that he hasn't spoken with either of the Van Halen brothers in quite some time, though bassist Michael Anthony has been joining him onstage of late.

"Mikey hasn't even heard from Eddie or Alex," Hagar explained. "I just think when they're ready to surface, they'll do it."

Roth, whose own attempt at a Van Halen reunion fell apart shortly after the 1996 VMAs, said he hasn't spoken to them either.

"Eddie Van Halen may catch up with us at some time in the future," he said. "I'm an optimist. Most people hope for the best, I actually expect it. When I go fishing, I take a Nikon and a frying pan. And I only hold positive visions for Eddie Van Heineken as well."

Hagar joined Van Halen in 1986 when Roth, the band's original, highly charismatic frontman whose voice soared over such early hits as "Runnin' With the Devil," "Panama" and "Hot for Teacher", left (or was fired, depending on which story you believe) to pursue a then-burgeoning solo career.

Hagar brought his considerable guitar prowess, slightly more serious lyrical presence and a back catalog of solo hits like "I Can't Drive 55" into the Van Halen fold. Hagar's seemingly more congruent personal and musical chemistry with guitar hero Eddie helped take the band to its greatest commercial heights, though admittedly many fans and critics alike long held out hope for a reunion with Diamond Dave.

Their wish seemed to have come true when Van Halen?s management issued a statement in June 1996 announcing that Hagar had left the band and that Roth was collaborating with them on two new tracks set to be included on a greatest-hits package.

Roth appeared with Van Halen at the 1996 VMAs to present an award to Beck, though he declined to ease into the background (as is customary at such events) while Beck accepted, and proceeded to soak up much of the moment's spotlight for himself instead. Soured by his antics, Eddie fired Roth before ever officially even rehiring him, and subsequently recruited former Extreme frontman Gary Cherone for 1998's Van Halen 3 (see "Van Halen Set Listening Party, Track Listing For III").

A battle of words ensued between the Van Halen brothers, Sammy and Dave in the press. As each singer resumed their respective solo careers, Eddie accused them both of having "lead singer's disease," and Van Halen proceeded to tour with Cherone. Van Halen 3 was a critical and commercial failure that sent Cherone packing, though his split was (strangely, perhaps) uncharacteristically amicable.

Things have been relatively quiet on the Van Halen front ever since. Warner Bros. severed ties with the band (see "First No Singer, Now No Label For Van Halen"). Eddie successfully fought cancer (see "Eddie Van Halen Says He's Fighting Cancer"), and rumors abounded that the band was attempting a new reconciliation with Roth (see "Van Halen Fans Plagued By Hoaxes"). Last year, Eddie surfaced to say that the group had a lot of songs, but no singer (see "Eddie Says Van Halen Loaded With Songs, Short On Singers").

Michael Anthony eventually found his way back into the studio with Hagar (see "Sammy Hagar Makes Tracks With Van Halen Bassist, Journey-Men"), who has kept himself busy with his various solo outings and the unlikely tour with Roth that just wrapped (see "David Lee Roth Shakes It In Spandex, Sammy Hagar Bashes Eddie At Tour Debut").

"It's not that I'm crying for [a reunion]," clarified Hagar, who also sells his own brand of tequila. "I'm happy. I'm totally happy. [But] I don't think I could say I am never going to play with those guys again and it will never happen. And God forbid something happened to one of us and then it could never happen. I'd be very regretful.

"So I think it's inevitable," he reiterated. "So I think we'll do it. And hopefully we'll do it like right here in the VMAs sometime or something."

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sam, Dave was using those words long before you ripped them off.
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "I think a reunion is inevitable."

Sam was referring Dave and Van Halen...

Wayne L.
    I'm just waiting for the news conference about the upcoming VH/SH reunion tour now.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Personally, I can't understand how a Sammy fronted VH was more commercially viable than a Dave fronted VH. I never will.

Is MTV running a Welcome Back montage with Sammy now???

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ELVIS
    "I think a reunion is inevitable."

Sam was referring Dave and Van Halen...

LOL
    Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Rothman
    Van Halen doesn't exist without Dave at the helm.

In 1985 Van Halen ceased to exist and Van Hagar was born...a cheap immitation of a once great band. Without Dave there is no Van Halen.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The interview is 1 1/2 years old why is everyone getting worked up over it. Typical Hagar spewing.
    Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
    Personally, I can't understand how a Sammy fronted VH was more commercially viable than a Dave fronted VH. I never will.

who says it was? (except for sammy). the fact is that, while commercial success does not = good music, van halen had every bit, if not more commercial success than van hagar. except for #1 records (which are NOT a measure of how many overall records you sell, just a measure of how many you sell relative to the other current albums) van halen albums sold more copies and i'm guessing van halen tours sold more tickets.

and just in case anyone thinks older van halen only sold more albums because of people switching from records to tapes to CDs....

1984 was certified 5 million albums within a year of its release.

5150, released just 2 years later took 8 years to certify 5 million albums.

again, not that commerical success = better music. we all know it doesn't, necessarily. but in this case, van halen had BOTH...

(according to RIAA

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i think the only thing that might be 'Inevitable' is finding Eddie passed out drunk under a piano at 5150........
    Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: Sammy Hagar Calls Reunion With Van Halen 'Inevitable'

Originally posted by TMR
    "It's not that I'm crying for [a reunion]"

Bullshit anyways. He's been crying for one since he got canned.

Skills That Thrill
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    well..
    Dave has said thae same thing over the years.. and what?
    nada!
    ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
    The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
    [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills

Is MTV running a Welcome Back montage with Sammy now???
    It wasn't. Van Halen with Roth outsold both Sam Halen and Van Cherone by nearly 2 to 1.

Van Hagar had four studio albums that placed #1 in the Billboard chart, but for whatever reason, Sammy has equated that with total album sales.

Just two of Van Halen's albums with Roth, Van Halen's first album (Van Halen) and 1984 nearly outsold the enitre Van Hagar catalog in US sales alone.

Sammy began propagating the myth that he sold 60 million records with Van Halen, and music journalists too lazy to do the research parroted his bullshit. The more accurate US Van Hagar sales figure is closer to 22 million.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: Re: Sammy Hagar Calls Reunion With Van Halen 'Inevitable'

Originally posted by ALinChainz
    Bullshit anyways. He's been crying for one since he got canned.
    Amen. Sam wants it so bad it's palpable. Hagar will rejoin that band under any terms.

Seems like part of the 1996 failed Roth reunion had to do with Dave being as vocal about his opinions as ever. He seemed willing to be gracious to Eddie up to a point, but wouldn't lay back and let Eddie run the show. I think Roth showed a lot of restraint through that whole bullshit fiasco, until he finally realized Eddie and Al were duping him all along. That whole nonsense about Dave's being disrespectful to Beck being the straw that broke Eddie's back was just the Van Halens looking for an excuse to dump Roth.

Look at it this way; Roth refused to let Anthony jump up onstage during the Sam and Dave tour for a few songs. For Roth, it's all or nothing when it comes to a Halen reunion. Whereas Sammy was all too happy to have Mike up there and bathe in some half-assed memory of Van Hagar.

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Terry
    It wasn't. Van Halen with Roth outsold both Sam Halen and Van Cherone by nearly 2 to 1.

Van Hagar had four studio albums that placed #1 in the Billboard chart, but for whatever reason, Sammy has equated that with total album sales.

Just two of Van Halen's albums with Roth, Van Halen's first album (Van Halen) and 1984 nearly outsold the enitre Van Hagar catalog in US sales alone.

Sammy began propagating the myth that he sold 60 million records with Van Halen, and music journalists too lazy to do the research parroted his bullshit. The more accurate US Van Hagar sales figure is closer to 22 million.
    You would go over great at VHlinks.com, you should pay them a visit, would be funny to see the reaction......

Dolph
    They can have a reunion if they want but there is no Van Halen without David Lee Roth.

Obviously the seeing the original line up would be great but now I would FAR rather see Dave with a new band rather than Halen with a new frontman.

SHEEP PEN-JUNKHEAD
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Why is this article big news to you all ?

It's from Sept. 2002.

DLR7884
    That was a while ago.
    Originally Posted by WARF:
    DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by DLR7884
    Why is this article big news to you all ?

It's from Sept. 2002.

DLR7884
    That was a while ago.
    I'm Post #8 in this thread and I said the same thing bro!

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Full Bug
    You would go over great at VHlinks.com, you should pay them a visit, would be funny to see the reaction......

Sure would!!! But be careful since the LOSER who runs the show there, will bury your ass if you make fun of the rest of his VanHagar members.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Terry
    Amen. Sam wants it so bad it's palpable. Hagar will rejoin that band under any terms.

I agree...I'm sure he's doing it just to shove it in Dave's face....that fat fuck....
    Before I always said I always liked Van Halen with David Lee Roth. Now I have to say I like Van Halen with David Lee Roth & Michael Anthony. It's just too much!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Full Bug
    They would ban him within 5 minutes.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

ian_doherty
    sammy is a dork .

Dave IS VH
    If Spammy is back in VH, why isn't it being conformed by other sources?

If Eddie is that fucked up to reunite Van Hagar, not the "REAL VAN HALEN" I lost all respect for him.

Fans want to see the real Van Halen, not Van Hagar!!!!!!

TMR
    Ed doesn't care about the fans, only inserting his dick into Spam!

Dave IS VH
    How true,

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by TMR
    Ed doesn't care about the fans, only inserting his dick into Spam!
    Ahhh That Edward, always doing Mikey's job for him !

Stay Frosty!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The only reunion we will be seeing anytime soon is the one between Eddie, his case of Heineken, and his carton of Marlboros.

Catfish
    Who is Sammy Hagar?

IN ROTH WE TRUST
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Who is Sammy Hagar?
    David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million more albums than Classic Van Halen. Every time he talks he utters nothing but lies and sounds like a sack of assholes. Sarge told me that Bette Midler and Sammy Hagar are the same person. For a laugh please ask me who Bette Midler is. Thanks for your time. ..
    "I decided to name my new band DLR because when you say David Lee Roth people think of an individual, but when you say DLR you think of a band. Its just like when you say Edward Van Halen, people think of an individual, but when you say Van Halen, you think of…David Lee Roth, baby!"!

Catfish
    Who is Bette Midler?

IN ROTH WE TRUST
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Who is Bette Midler?
    Bette Midler is an actress/singer that bears an uncanny resemblance to Sammy Hagar. .. based on both being fat, old, red hair and both have FLOPPY, SLOPPY BREASTS. Bette was in a popular movie called Beaches and Sammy Hagar is just a plain Beatch.Thanks for your time..

Thread Information