Thread: 10 Years Ago Today I Met Ed Van Halen.

SHEEP PEN GUNTKEEPER
    Veteran

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

10 Years Ago Today I Met Ed Van Halen.

Many people are remembering this day as the 10th Anniversary of the Oklahoma City Bombing. Although it's a tragic day in our nation's history that should never be forgotten, today strikes a chord with me for different reasons.

Ten years ago, I was working at WOWK-TV in Huntington, WV. I had big dreams of being the an MTV vj at the time. So in order to reach that goal, I was busting my ass trying to interview as many rock stars as I could. Whenever there was a concert coming to town - I was there trying to talk to the band.

This time around - my boyhood heroes were playing Charleston, WV. It was time for me to meet my idol Ed Van Halen.

I called the Civic Center to get the VH contacts and put in a request. 2 weeks before the show they called me back and said the band was up for an interview. SWEET! However, they wanted me to do it in Lexington, KY because that show was 2 days before the Charleston concert - and they wanted to promote the show. No prob - Lexington was 2 hours away. Everything was set.

The day of the show, my friends Todd and Melissa are ready to roll out at 11:00 am. I remember never being more excited over meeting someone my entire life. In a few hours - I would be talking to Ed Van Halen!

When we picked up Melissa, she asked Todd and me if we heard about the bombing. We both hadn't turned on a TV or radio - so we were clueless. Mel was noticably upset and said she almost backed out on us because of it. We talked her back in and were on our way, not realizing the scope of the tragedy that had taken place.

We get to Rupp Arena about 1:00. As we walked in, I here Ed doing a sound check. He was playing Mean Street. I got chills. My eyes were watering. I was in awe. As I stepped out into the main arena to catch a glimpse, a security guard told me no one was permitted to watch sound check. I told him I was interviewing the band in a few minutes. He didn't care.

We meet up with Tucker, who at the time was the VH's or WB's tour publicist. He was an alright guy, but he seemed very tense. He informed me that Ed and Al were not going to sit in on the interview, but Sammy would be happy to talk to me. I told him that wasn' t the original agreement. He said - well, I could just give you Mike Anthony - or better yet - you could leave empty handed. I decided Sammy was fine. Tucker was in no mood to fuck around.

An hour later Sammy joins us. I won't go into the details, because not many of you would care. If anyone wants me to transcribe the interview PM me and I'll get it out to you. But it wasn't that interesting.

After we wrap up, Tucker notices that I have some CD's for the band to sign - Most of which were CVH - with the exception of Balance. Tucker freaks out, takes the CD's from me and tells me something to the extent of Sammy will go nuts if he's sees and CVH cd's. Looking back on it - it was stupid to get autographs in the first place, very unprofessional. But I was 23, VH were my heroes - who knows if I'd ever get the oppurtunity again. I don't entirely regret it.

As we're heading out, I notice an open door while walking down the hall. As I pass, I see Ed Van Halen sitting there noodling with a guitar. He looks up as I walk by and shoots me a grin. HOLY SHIT.

I walk about 10 more steps. Drop the mountain of gear I'm lugging, and tell Todd and Mel - "Guys, I'll never forgive myself if I don't go up and say Hi to him." They're cool, and want to do the same - but chicken out. I figure - what's the worst that could happen?

I go back to the room, stick my head in the door, and say something like - Hi Eddie - sorry to bother you, but I wanted to meet you before I left. I told him I just interviewed Sam - and he was supposed to sit in with me. He said something like, yeh - sorry about that, something came up.

I asked him to sign my Balance CD - and he says sure, no problem. I hand it to him and as he hands it back - he says - Don't forget to get Big Al over there. I turned around to see Alex lying flat on his back on a couch wearing a neck brace. I never even noticed him. Al struggles to get up. I couldn't believe he was in such bad shape. He gives me a smile, signs the CD and thanks me for coming out. He then crashes back onto the couch.

I'm just about ready to leave - then I decided to push it. I asked Ed if he would have a smoke with me. He replies - "Do you got one?" I whip out a pack of Marlboro lights, hand him one - light it for him - and we puff away. It was awkwardly quiet for a few seconds. Partly because I couldn't believe I was smoking a cig with Eddie, and partly because I'm sure Ed wanted me to get the hell out of his dressing room so he could sleep or whatever.

More than halfway through the smoke, Tucker walks in and looks at me like I just pissed on his leg. He was fuming. He starts apologizing to Ed left and right. Eddie didn't seem to care. He wasn't visibly angry or frustrated - all he said was - Tucker, everything's fine - I asked him for a cigarette and he gave me one. Wow, Ed had my back.

I took my last drag, and thanked Ed for the hospitality. He mumbled something I couldn't understand and gave me a smile while he shook my hand. I felt like I had just met God.

Ten years later I hear all of the horror stories about how Eddie is nothing but a grumpy old hermit and it's really depressing. I wish he could get his act together and be happy. I doubt I'll cross paths with Ed ever again. But if I do by chance, I'm almost certain our meeting won't go as well as it did in 1995.
    Just because the title "moderator" is under my name doesn't mean I have to be nice to cunts like you. - DLR7884 to FPC

Vanzilla's New "Can't Get This Stuff No More" Video Coming Soon!

IN ROTH WE TRUST
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Many people are remembering this day as the 10th Anniversary of the Oklahoma City Bombing. Although it's a tragic day in our nation's history that should never be forgotten, today strikes a chord with me for different reasons.

Ten years ago, I was working at WOWK-TV in Huntington, WV. I had big dreams of being the an MTV vj at the time. So in order to reach that goal, I was busting my ass trying to interview as many rock stars as I could. Whenever there was a concert coming to town - I was there trying to talk to the band.

This time around - my boyhood heroes were playing Charleston, WV. It was time for me to meet my idol Ed Van Halen.

I called the Civic Center to get the VH contacts and put in a request. 2 weeks before the show they called me back and said the band was up for an interview. SWEET! However, they wanted me to do it in Lexington, KY because that show was 2 days before the Charleston concert - and they wanted to promote the show. No prob - Lexington was 2 hours away. Everything was set.

The day of the show, my friends Todd and Melissa are ready to roll out at 11:00 am. I remember never being more excited over meeting someone my entire life. In a few hours - I would be talking to Ed Van Halen!

When we picked up Melissa, she asked Todd and me if we heard about the bombing. We both hadn't turned on a TV or radio - so we were clueless. Mel was noticably upset and said she almost backed out on us because of it. We talked her back in and were on our way, not realizing the scope of the tragedy that had taken place.

We get to Rupp Arena about 1:00. As we walked in, I here Ed doing a sound check. He was playing Mean Street. I got chills. My eyes were watering. I was in awe. As I stepped out into the main arena to catch a glimpse, a security guard told me no one was permitted to watch sound check. I told him I was interviewing the band in a few minutes. He didn't care.

We meet up with Tucker, who at the time was the VH's or WB's tour publicist. He was an alright guy, but he seemed very tense. He informed me that Ed and Al were not going to sit in on the interview, but Sammy would be happy to talk to me. I told him that wasn' t the original agreement. He said - well, I could just give you Mike Anthony - or better yet - you could leave empty handed. I decided Sammy was fine. Tucker was in no mood to fuck around.

An hour later Sammy joins us. I won't go into the details, because not many of you would care. If anyone wants me to transcribe the interview PM me and I'll get it out to you. But it wasn't that interesting.

After we wrap up, Tucker notices that I have some CD's for the band to sign - Most of which were CVH - with the exception of Balance. Tucker freaks out, takes the CD's from me and tells me something to the extent of Sammy will go nuts if he's sees and CVH cd's. Looking back on it - it was stupid to get autographs in the first place, very unprofessional. But I was 23, VH were my heroes - who knows if I'd ever get the oppurtunity again. I don't entirely regret it.

As we're heading out, I notice an open door while walking down the hall. As I pass, I see Ed Van Halen sitting there noodling with a guitar. He looks up as I walk by and shoots me a grin. HOLY SHIT.

I walk about 10 more steps. Drop the mountain of gear I'm lugging, and tell Todd and Mel - "Guys, I'll never forgive myself if I don't go up and say Hi to him." They're cool, and want to do the same - but chicken out. I figure - what's the worst that could happen?

I go back to the room, stick my head in the door, and say something like - Hi Eddie - sorry to bother you, but I wanted to meet you before I left. I told him I just interviewed Sam - and he was supposed to sit in with me. He said something like, yeh - sorry about that, something came up.

I asked him to sign my Balance CD - and he says sure, no problem. I hand it to him and as he hands it back - he says - Don't forget to get Big Al over there. I turned around to see Alex lying flat on his back on a couch wearing a neck brace. I never even noticed him. Al struggles to get up. I couldn't believe he was in such bad shape. He gives me a smile, signs the CD and thanks me for coming out. He then crashes back onto the couch.

I'm just about ready to leave - then I decided to push it. I asked Ed if he would have a smoke with me. He replies - "Do you got one?" I whip out a pack of Marlboro lights, hand him one - light it for him - and we puff away. It was awkwardly quiet for a few seconds. Partly because I couldn't believe I was smoking a cig with Eddie, and partly because I'm sure Ed wanted me to get the hell out of his dressing room so he could sleep or whatever.

More than halfway through the smoke, Tucker walks in and looks at me like I just pissed on his leg. He was fuming. He starts apologizing to Ed left and right. Eddie didn't seem to care. He wasn't visibly angry or frustrated - all he said was - Tucker, everything's fine - I asked him for a cigarette and he gave me one. Wow, Ed had my back.

I took my last drag, and thanked Ed for the hospitality. He mumbled something I couldn't understand and gave me a smile while he shook my hand. I felt like I had just met God.

Ten years later I hear all of the horror stories about how Eddie is nothing but a grumpy old hermit and it's really depressing. I wish he could get his act together and be happy. I doubt I'll cross paths with Ed ever again. But if I do by chance, I'm almost certain our meeting won't go as well as it did in 1995.
    Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.
    "I decided to name my new band DLR because when you say David Lee Roth people think of an individual, but when you say DLR you think of a band. Its just like when you say Edward Van Halen, people think of an individual, but when you say Van Halen, you think of…David Lee Roth, baby!"!

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Cool story VanZ...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I did a simular thing back in 1984. Van Halen was playing at a university that a friend of mines mom worked at. She was able to get us two campus securtiy passes that were all access. We were senors in high school and could pass off as some college kids working security and we had securtiy T shirts on. Van Halens crew showed up the night before and spent the whole morning puting the stage, lights, and PA together. We just hung around the venue all day. We even helped unload cables out a truck and run them to the guys who were hooking them up.

The band did their soundcheck and like you said, they didn't want anyone in there.

There was a few hours before the show and we could hear Eddie playing guitar and Michael Anthony on bass. We went into what normally is used as a lockerroom and there were both of them and Mike gave us a big smile and wanted to know if we were hungry. They hade three large pizzas and some beer sitting on a table. Mike just said he didn't think him and Ed could eat three large pizzas and we were welcome to some of it. Ed said have a beer.

So we are eating pizza and drinking beer, shooting the shit with Mike and Eddie for a few minutes. Eddie was playing through Fender amps backstage but it sounded like a Marshall. I asked him how he got a Fender to sound like that and he said they had been moddified but most of it was him. He told us he thought his Fenders got a better guitar sound than his stage rig did. He said, if I could get what I get in this dressing room soundwise on stage, it would be the holy grail.

We thanked them for the beer and pizza and didn't want to bother them and walked out.

I never did see Dave backstage or Alex for that matter. Ed and Mike seems cool and down to earth.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

SHEEP PEN GUNTKEEPER
    Veteran

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great story Nitro! Man, I wonder what exactly happened to Ed to make him act like he does today. It's just unnerving man.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by vanzilla
    We meet up with Tucker, who at the time was the VH's or WB's tour publicist. He was an alright guy, but he seemed very tense. He informed me that Ed and Al were not going to sit in on the interview, but Sammy would be happy to talk to me. I told him that wasn' t the original agreement. He said - well, I could just give you Mike Anthony...
    HA HA HA HA HA
    No Ed, No Alex, and if you don't like it, I'll make you talk to Mikey.
    That is the best part of the story.

SHEEP PEN Yahweh
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I took my last drag, and thanked Ed for the hospitality. He mumbled something I couldn't understand and gave me a smile while he shook my hand.

You moron!!! You missed your chance!!! Ed was asking if you would take over lead singer duties!!!!

Commando

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I once threw a shoe (not mine) onto the stage and it bounced near Eddie...he threw it back at someone else and gave them the finger...hilarious

SHEEP PEN GUNTKEEPER
    Veteran

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I've gotten a few requests (Thorman being one of them) to transcribe the Sammy interview. I'll try to get it to Sunday and post it here if that's cool with everybody.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Go ahead! You better have asked him, "how does it feel to have ruined Van Halen?"

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed was nice enough to us but it was like he was busy doing his guitar thing, but Mike stopped playing when he saw us and was really cool. With Ed it was like walking in on some dude working on his hot rod and you asked him some questions about the engine and he answered them as he continued to wrench.

Inside I was going crazy. I couldn't believe it because I was a huge fan of Eddie's. Both of us were but I think we did a good job of playing it cool. The impression I got from Eddie was he was cool with other people being around as long as they weren't the smothering fan type of people. In other words, Ed would let you hang around his shop if you stayed out of the way and wasn't a bother.

I think Mike saw right through us and knew damn well why we were there.

SHEEP PEN GUNTKEEPER
    Veteran

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    Go ahead! You better have asked him, "how does it feel to have ruined Van Halen?"
    Holy Shit, did you already see it? That was my first question.

To All you "Wannabes'" FU
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hey V why didn't you ask Eddie and alexis to sign the CVH cd's????

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I wish I could meet the VH bros.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    I met Alex & Mikey momentarily when they were in town on the Diver Down Tour. I did not have anything to sign, and had not expected to run into them though, so I just shook their hand and said welcome to here!

They got in a limo and headed out.

So much for so little....

SHEEP PEN GUNTKEEPER
    Veteran

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by moose
    Hey V why didn't you ask Eddie and alexis to sign the CVH cd's????
    I didn't have them. Tucker took them and didn't give them back until we left. It was the only one I had.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I dont know if I want to meet any of them except Dave now.
    From all the stories you read about Ed now, I dont think I
    would even approach the bitter old bastard..

If I ever cross paths with Dave, I would shake his hand and
    say, Fuck Van Halen suck without you.. Thanks for keeping
    the memory alive.. Then I would respectfully fuck off..

I hear Dave isnt that impressed with being bothered these
    days either.
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    if you do meet Edd make sure youve got a bottle of wine with you and only give it to him when he promises to get dave back in. bums will do anything for free booze

Wolverine
    vanzilla you met ed on his working turf...the airport scenario was a more private setting,also ed was on a plane for 5 hours these people have bad days too!! who knows!!

SHEEP PEN GUNTKEEPER
    Veteran

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by The Godfather
    vanzilla you met ed on his working turf...the airport scenario was a more private setting,also ed was on a plane for 5 hours these people have bad days too!! who knows!!
    Oh, absolutely. Everyone is entitled to their bad days. If the airport thing actually happened, I could maybe understand why he acted how he did. I also think he could've handled it better - but again - who knows if that was a true story or not.

But looking at his behavior at the recent NAMM show, and considering they didn't do any press for the reunion tour- and I have 2 friends that did lighting for the tour that saw first hand how Ed was wacked out, I'd say something has happened to the guy to make him snap.

Don't get me wrong Godfather - I'm not saying the guy should make nice and grant every autograph hound's request - But I do believe his personality has shifted. That's all. A 5'er coming your way for making a good point.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The sisters need to tae a queue from the late, Grate Freddy Mercury and listen to the words to 'Was it all Worth It'...
    Yo Yo Yo

Your Own Personal Satan
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I didn't have them. Tucker took them and didn't give them back until we left. It was the only one I had.
    That sucks!

Thanks for posting your story.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    .. I felt like I had just met God.
    If that's what a meeting with God is like then I want to live forever...

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Thumbs down

You had a Van Hagar CD?

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have never met EVH...but I have hung out at a titty bar with DLR.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Seshmeister
    If that's what a meeting with God is like then I want to live forever...
    Definitely makes Atheism the more attractive option.

LIFOYNSEAE
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by col5150
    if you do meet Edd make sure youve got a bottle of wine with you and only give it to him when he promises to get dave back in. bums will do anything for free booze
    LMFAO
    I'm very proud of what was that band and what was that show and what it did mean to people. It disgusts me that it has turned into the complete opposite. That it now represents everything that I spoke against, that we suppoesedly represented the converse of. I don't want to have to remember that the team turned into that. Makes me question what the team was while I was a member. Was it all bullshit? If nothing else, it confirms in my mind that from my standpoint - yours truly, David Lee - not a fraction. If nothing else, this kind of morbid, wounded animal anger aimed my way has caused me to look deep into that bathroom mirror and come back to you with "my shit was legit." It was for real. And perhaps the test is time. Because here I am, a decade and a half later, haven't changed much. I look a little different, but not much. My sense of humour is about the same.

Nir - VAN - a
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: 10 Years Ago Today I Met Ed Van Halen.

Ten years ago, I was working at WOWK-TV in Huntington, WV.

Did ya see Dave at the Huntington Regatta in 94?

I was there....lived in WV then.

Cool story!

Thread Information