I AM HERE
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    02-13-2012 @ 09:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Question what turned you on to roth?

hey.. with all this downward shit with Van hagar reforming last year and no hope of a halen reunion anytine before they all die things klook bleak... so to keep the smiles..... what got you into 'Roth' or Classic Van Halen at the start?

ME... it was 91 and i saw a documentory on Roth at 2 am on friday evening.. it played gigilo... a little aint enough.... jump.... you really got me.... crazy from the heat... and more.. it had a big interview with the man himself... i was hooked on Roth their and then.... went out and bought the a little aint enough album the next day... and crazy from the heat on the monday..... whilst buying that album i enquired if he was touring soon...... to my eternal dimay i was informed that he had played in belfast the very friday that i had watched the documentory......................SHIT............. . thankfully i gotta see him in 94 and last year where due to being freinds with the suport group who played dublin (rock n roll band called the red hot roosters) i got his autograph on my cover of Fair Warning and got to say hello and great show as he said 'cheers and have a good night'.. all i could reply was you too dave.... (not through btryin to be cool.. it was all i could think of upon meeting my idol.) then he was whisked off by his HUGE body gaurd...

so whos next?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

guwapo_rocker
    A girlfriend played Van Halen 1 for me back in '78 and I was hooked.

Van Halen died when Dave left.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-17-2023 @ 02:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I have been a fan of Van Halen since 1980. And what truly turned me into a ROTH- HEAD for life was the arrival of hagar and the albums, 5150 and EEAS. I will admit that when Dave left, I was like..ok, we still have VH and now we got Dave solo too. This is great! I was 14, mind you. I first heard WCTBL on the radio coming home from our camp in the Adirondacks and was like...WTF!! Thats what they sound like now!! I still bought 5150...but NOTHING could save me from that first jolt of post-Roth VH!!

So I "Ate one and smiled" and have NEVER looked back!

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 11:05 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    i heard you guys talkin about how great dave was,so i thought fuck it ill give him a try,so i downloaded some stuff from VH 1 and the rest as they say is history

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-17-2023 @ 02:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Sammy's Bitch
    i heard you guys talkin about how great dave was,so i thought fuck it ill give him a try,so i downloaded some stuff from VH 1 and the rest as they say is history
    Keep dowloading then SB, there's plenty more for you to check out!!

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    ok will do....oh yea i think hot for teacher (or something to that effect) is cool

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    great cd

Zero Discipline
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-12-2021 @ 03:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm a relative late-comer.

Sometime in 1983, I saw/heard some kind of interview with Dave. Probably on MTV. I liked what stuff I'd heard of VH, but I was much more into sports than music until that precise moment.

Now, my sport is the Mrs!

Hooter Patrol Leader
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-23-2006 @ 04:17 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Roth has CHARISMA and SOUL.
    That's a combination that's hard to beat.
    He was "Keepin' it Real" before the term was even coined.

Something about his persona, appearance and vocals made me want to emulate him. Not surprisingly, the man is the Greatest Frontman Ever and a shining example to every wannabee Rock Star on how the position should be properly filled...

I've returned
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-15-2012 @ 02:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    I got into Dave over night i guess i had always been interested into his music but all the sudden i just got into it more.

loud as hell
    Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-19-2005 @ 10:46 PM
    Status
    Thanks

dave,well where do i start.the man knows how to keep a crowd going,if i may mention being smashed on j.d. while doing it,thats some kinda talent,pple say sammy has a better voice.......no he doesn't and dave's singing and groovier then sammy's.i'm in a band and never will we play van hagar,first of all cause i don't feel like being depressed with these stupid shit love ballads over and over again and second cause we'd probably be booed off stage.dave's the man and he's still going strong thats y i thinm he's the greatest

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

Well, I had heard Ain't Talkin 'Bout Love on the radio, but that was all....then as luck would have it, I found out they were opening for Black Sabbath a month later...
    went and saw them, took the pics I have posted on this site....and the rest is history...

Saw them 3 more times with Roth (missed them on the WACF and 1984 Tours...
    Saw 5150 Tour and knew the greatness was gone....

Walked out on their Monsters Of Rock Set, and saw Dave in 1998 or 1999, and again on the Sam & Dave Tour..

Dave is the Motherfucking Man!!!

And no amount of whining, cock-gobbling or ass-licking by Thorman, 3 Suck Cock or ANYONE ELSE will EVER convince me otherwise....
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 05-02-2005 at 06:44 PM.

I AM HERE
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    02-13-2012 @ 09:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks

as the sayin goes ROTH-ON......

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-10-2012 @ 06:38 PM
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status
    Thanks

his self protrayed confidence, sex appeal, hair and beautiful voice. Screams to soft whispers. The man knows how to pull on your strings.

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-31-2024 @ 03:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,469 Posts

David Lee Roth

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    cant argue with that warf

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    11-02-2009 @ 08:15 AM
    Status
    Thanks

i went to see van halen with my 2 older cousins when i was 11 in '81 at the capital centre ,the rest is history !!!!!!! still the greatest shows i have ever seen !!!!!!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,504 Posts

Blog Entries
    Funny part is it was hearing Ed's playing that got me into the group. All I was hearing was how great this solo Eruption was. Shortly after that went out and got Van Halen's debut and Van Halen 2 (back in the days of vinyl).

Always thought Roth had a distinctive voice. Back when CVH were still together, wouldn't have put DLR in terms of vocal technique in the same category as, say, Ronnie James Dio or Robert Plant. But he could hit some high screams, sho' nuff! And his voice stood out from the pack. And there are very few in rock who can give an interview that's of any interest to me. Sammy Hagar sure as shit never could. Roth's always been quotable and packed with humor, both on and off the stage.

By the time I got around to seeing CVH live on the 1984 tour, Eddie was still the main draw for me, but in concert it was DAVE who got the crowd wound up. Back then, there were a lot of guitar players who thought Dave couldn't sing all that well, and that Dave doomed Van Halen to being just a party band. By the time 5150 came out, those same guitarists were saying EVH had lost it, and were lining up a few months later to get tickets to see Roth's new band live.

Kinda took Roth leaving Van Halen, and seeing what Van Hagar came up with in CVH's place, to bring my thinking around about how much Dave actually did contribute to CVH's sound. It took EEAS for me to see that Dave was gonna continue to rock hard vs. the remainder of CVH and Hagar, who were gonna go the pussified route.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

Man, Dave on the EEAS Tour fucking BLEW VAN HAGAR AWAY!!!!

I saw them within 4 months of each other, and hands down The Dave Show fucking blew the roof off the building....
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 05-03-2005 at 10:39 PM.

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    08-21-2005 @ 09:38 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    The flamboyance and the voice

loud as hell
    Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-19-2005 @ 10:46 PM
    Status
    Thanks

to me it's probably the fact that he cud do anything and get away with it being cool.not only that he sang the songs in his own way which was cool cause then we were in dave's fucked up mind!the songs made more sense..........and wow what a fuck'n stage presence!

The Sheep Pen Vixen!
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    08-13-2006 @ 06:03 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I Just recently started liking Dave and classic Van Halen,when i first saw the video to jump i was hooked like what a great fucking showman,Dave and Eddie had such chemistry together they ruled the world.... Sammy just doesn't have that with Eddie I was only eleven when Dave left Van Halen i was to young to experience it live so all i have is old videos and pictures, the closest thing to Van Halen i'm going to get to see is the DLR band but that's alright 'cause Dave still rocks!

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    07-18-2009 @ 12:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

VH in '84. My first show was DLR in '86. I was twelve. Still have great memories of that show. It was what a rock show should be.
    Thing is, I hated Van Hagar from the start because of all the shit the brothers threw. Dave was always cool about the whole situation until about '91 when he started firing back. I just always thought the brother's were dicks. They obviously still hate the fact tehy live in the shadow of what they once were. Dave is cool, the brothers are not.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    05-21-2013 @ 07:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    "Cradle Will Rock" on KMET.

Thats the song that broke Van Halen on radio.

Before that they'd play Eruption or Dance The Night Away to bland response.

Sometimes latenite on weekends they'd play Spanish Fly/DOA back to back. But then they'd play "Hocus Pocus" by a band called Focus which is fullon shred right after that, so you paid less attention to the artist so much as the string of hard rock. But that was the 70s for you.

For me, I first noticed Roth distictively on "Cradle Will Rock"

The Sheep Pen Vixen!
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by hungryfreakdad
    VH in '84. My first show was DLR in '86. I was twelve. Still have great memories of that show. It was what a rock show should be.
    Thing is, I hated Van Hagar from the start because of all the shit the brothers threw. Dave was always cool about the whole situation until about '91 when he started firing back. I just always thought the brother's were dicks. They obviously still hate the fact tehy live in the shadow of what they once were. Dave is cool, the brothers are not.
    You are lucky my parents wouldn't let me listen to that kind of music, and i agree with you, Dave was the bigger man back then he still is but you can only take so much shit from people that you thaught were your friends anyways Dave doesn't need them he's doing just fine!

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

"what turned you on to roth?"

I heard YOU REALLY GOT ME on the radio in 1978.

Any fool with ears could hear that DAVID LEE ROTH was the new CROWN PRINCE of ROCK AND ROLL.

The Sheep Pen Vixen!
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Matt White

Any fool with ears could hear that DAVID LEE ROTH was the new CROWN PRINCE of ROCK AND ROLL.
    can't argue that well put but i was only 4 at the time and i didn't listen to the radio i was to busy playing with barbie dolls lol

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Matt White

You really got me was the first time I heard Dave too..
    I thought, this is great ! Eddies guitarwork also impressed
    me at the time..

Commando

Member No
    Last Online
    05-21-2013 @ 02:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I think what really got me into CVH was Sammy's ability to sing awesome tunes..this guy has pipes...he is unreal in concert and a great showman to boot...also, he and ed seem to work well together on songs like humans being, jdegement day, and of course dreams....

cause thats what dreams are made of......

bam

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Thorman
    I think what really got me into Hagar was Sammy's ability to suck a golf ball through a garden hose..this guy sucks meat pipes...he is unreal in bed and a great rimjob master to boot...also, he and ed seem to now loathe one another because somewhere there is good musical judgement still inside Ed....and Sammy never had that.

Ass-fucking my boyfriend....thats what dreams are made of......

bum (where I like to take it....)

Commando

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Take me down to the wishing well..help me find my miracle

bam

"How's it feel, old man?"
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2018 @ 11:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Whilst it was primarily Eddie that got me into the music of Van Halen, what got me into Dave as a frontman was when I saw the promo clip of "Runnin' With The Devil". Dave's antics and moves were just phenomonal and I was like, "I wanna be like him".

The Sheep Pen Vixen!
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Thorman
    I think what really got me into CVH was Sammy's ability to sing awesome tunes..this guy has pipes...he is unreal in concert and a great showman to boot...also, he and ed seem to work well together on songs like humans being, jdegement day, and of course dreams....

cause thats what dreams are made of......

bam
    that's right little boy that's all it is with Sammy is dreams, Dave being the greatest frontman now that's reality so keep on dreaming that that your boy toy Sammy is CVH because we Roth fans know who made the group #1 the First frontman Diamond Dave. BAM!

Hooter Patrol Leader
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-23-2006 @ 04:17 AM
    Status
    Thanks

The exact moment that turned me on to Roth was when I was a kid inside a record store in Virginia in July 1978. Jamie's Cryin' came through the speakers and the rest was history after I saw the VH1 album cover.

Lord of the Spandex
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-09-2008 @ 12:00 PM
    Status
    Thanks

All I know is I was a little kid in the early 80's and I remember hearing Panama, Dance the night away and Jump alot on the radio amongst other VH songs.

Once I started to see the videos and all the jumps,kicks and everything Roth did on stage and the attitude he has about him, that just turned me onto Roth I wanted to be just like that.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,093 Times in 2,004 Posts

Blog Entries
    I listened to a record called Van Halen back in Feb 1978 in between recording sessions... never been the same since...

Commando

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by DLR82VH
    All I know is I was a little kid in the early 80's and I remember hearing Panama, Dance the night away and Jump alot on the radio amongst other VH songs.

Once I started to see the videos and all the jumps,kicks and everything Roth did on stage and the attitude he has about him, that just turned me onto Roth I wanted to be just like that.
    I know...I heard Panama in concert in 2004 as well as on the Balance tour and loved it...great song....man can that guy sing

BAM

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2008 @ 02:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Almost 26 posts a day huh ALIAS? Why is that?

Dave always did say something about that song being sung by a girl.

A 60 year old, fat washed up wannabe wearing gay capri pants.

You're going to have to start spelling "BANNED".

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,582 Times in 3,461 Posts

Hearing the intro to "Pretty Woman" on a summer day when I was 11 hooked me into Classic Van Halen; Roth's growling vocal made me a fan for life!

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-22-2011 @ 11:45 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Since as far back as I remember I have LOVED Dave. I think it was 'Panama' that was playing on my dad's old record player when I was about 3, and since then, I've been hooked.

Although, there was a time were the 6 pack kind of got lost in the back of my collection, until he toured the UK last year, then I rediscovered my love for the legend that IS David Lee Roth.

Thread Information