• Apr 2005

cant argue with that warf
    I really love you baby, I love what you've got
    Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• jojo2371
      Head Fluffer
      • Nov 2004

i went to see van halen with my 2 older cousins when i was 11 in '81 at the capital centre ,the rest is history !!!!!!! still the greatest shows i have ever seen !!!!!!

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Funny part is it was hearing Ed's playing that got me into the group. All I was hearing was how great this solo Eruption was. Shortly after that went out and got Van Halen's debut and Van Halen 2 (back in the days of vinyl).

Always thought Roth had a distinctive voice. Back when CVH were still together, wouldn't have put DLR in terms of vocal technique in the same category as, say, Ronnie James Dio or Robert Plant. But he could hit some high screams, sho' nuff! And his voice stood out from the pack. And there are very few in rock who can give an interview that's of any interest to me. Sammy Hagar sure as shit never could. Roth's always been quotable and packed with humor, both on and off the stage.

By the time I got around to seeing CVH live on the 1984 tour, Eddie was still the main draw for me, but in concert it was DAVE who got the crowd wound up. Back then, there were a lot of guitar players who thought Dave couldn't sing all that well, and that Dave doomed Van Halen to being just a party band. By the time 5150 came out, those same guitarists were saying EVH had lost it, and were lining up a few months later to get tickets to see Roth's new band live.

Kinda took Roth leaving Van Halen, and seeing what Van Hagar came up with in CVH's place, to bring my thinking around about how much Dave actually did contribute to CVH's sound. It took EEAS for me to see that Dave was gonna continue to rock hard vs. the remainder of CVH and Hagar, who were gonna go the pussified route.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Hardrock69
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Feb 2005

Man, Dave on the EEAS Tour fucking BLEW VAN HAGAR AWAY!!!!

I saw them within 4 months of each other, and hands down The Dave Show fucking blew the roof off the building....
          Last edited by Hardrock69; 05-03-2005, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• superdave
            Sniper
            • Apr 2004

The flamboyance and the voice

Comment

• badbloodmatt
              Full On Cocktard
              • May 2005

to me it's probably the fact that he cud do anything and get away with it being cool.not only that he sang the songs in his own way which was cool cause then we were in dave's fucked up mind!the songs made more sense..........and wow what a fuck'n stage presence!
              over and out

Comment

• canadiandlrgirl
                Full Member Status

• May 2005

I Just recently started liking Dave and classic Van Halen,when i first saw the video to jump i was hooked like what a great fucking showman,Dave and Eddie had such chemistry together they ruled the world.... Sammy just doesn't have that with Eddie I was only eleven when Dave left Van Halen i was to young to experience it live so all i have is old videos and pictures, the closest thing to Van Halen i'm going to get to see is the DLR band but that's alright 'cause Dave still rocks!

Comment

• hungryfreakdad
                  Roth Army Recruit
                  • Jun 2004

VH in '84. My first show was DLR in '86. I was twelve. Still have great memories of that show. It was what a rock show should be.
                  Thing is, I hated Van Hagar from the start because of all the shit the brothers threw. Dave was always cool about the whole situation until about '91 when he started firing back. I just always thought the brother's were dicks. They obviously still hate the fact tehy live in the shadow of what they once were. Dave is cool, the brothers are not.

Comment

• GAR
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2004

"Cradle Will Rock" on KMET.

Thats the song that broke Van Halen on radio.

Before that they'd play Eruption or Dance The Night Away to bland response.

Sometimes latenite on weekends they'd play Spanish Fly/DOA back to back. But then they'd play "Hocus Pocus" by a band called Focus which is fullon shred right after that, so you paid less attention to the artist so much as the string of hard rock. But that was the 70s for you.

For me, I first noticed Roth distictively on "Cradle Will Rock"

Comment

• canadiandlrgirl
                      Full Member Status

• May 2005

Originally posted by hungryfreakdad
                      VH in '84. My first show was DLR in '86. I was twelve. Still have great memories of that show. It was what a rock show should be.
                      Thing is, I hated Van Hagar from the start because of all the shit the brothers threw. Dave was always cool about the whole situation until about '91 when he started firing back. I just always thought the brother's were dicks. They obviously still hate the fact tehy live in the shadow of what they once were. Dave is cool, the brothers are not.
                      You are lucky my parents wouldn't let me listen to that kind of music, and i agree with you, Dave was the bigger man back then he still is but you can only take so much shit from people that you thaught were your friends anyways Dave doesn't need them he's doing just fine!

Comment

• Matt White
                        • Jun 2004

"what turned you on to roth?"

I heard YOU REALLY GOT ME on the radio in 1978.

Any fool with ears could hear that DAVID LEE ROTH was the new CROWN PRINCE of ROCK AND ROLL.

Comment

• canadiandlrgirl
                          Full Member Status

• May 2005

Originally posted by Matt White

Any fool with ears could hear that DAVID LEE ROTH was the new CROWN PRINCE of ROCK AND ROLL.
                          can't argue that well put but i was only 4 at the time and i didn't listen to the radio i was to busy playing with barbie dolls lol

Comment

• Panamark
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Matt White

You really got me was the first time I heard Dave too..
                            I thought, this is great ! Eddies guitarwork also impressed
                            me at the time..
                            BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Thorman
                              Commando
                              • Apr 2005

I think what really got me into CVH was Sammy's ability to sing awesome tunes..this guy has pipes...he is unreal in concert and a great showman to boot...also, he and ed seem to work well together on songs like humans being, jdegement day, and of course dreams....

cause thats what dreams are made of......

bam
                              http://www.topthat.net/webrock/sounds/bamm.wav

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                                Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Thorman
                                I think what really got me into Hagar was Sammy's ability to suck a golf ball through a garden hose..this guy sucks meat pipes...he is unreal in bed and a great rimjob master to boot...also, he and ed seem to now loathe one another because somewhere there is good musical judgement still inside Ed....and Sammy never had that.

Ass-fucking my boyfriend....thats what dreams are made of......

bum (where I like to take it....)
                                Originally posted by perilouspete
                                fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

Working...