Thread: EVH Interview RS Magazine 05/05

Roth Addict
    Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

EVH Interview RS Magazine 05/05

I've checked this out. It seems to be legit. The author is a writer for Rolling STone....and the interview sounds like ed.

Van Halen “Cannon Fodder For The Ages”?
    The king of the electric six string discusses his past, his battles with addiction and cancer, and the status, once and for all, of what some consider to be the world’s greatest rock band, in an exclusive interview.

By JENNY ELISCU

If it weren’t for bad news, or breakup news, fans of Van Halen wouldn’t have any news at all. Unfortunately, there’s no bad news or breakup news, and nothing is all the fans are getting.

Following a wildly successful reunion tour that spanned the United States (and Puerto Rico, too!) with aging singer Sammy Hagar in tow, the band finds themselves on a hiatus…again…a status far too familiar with the band’s fans and far too unsettling for it’s founding member, and namesake, Edward Van Halen.

Van Halen (Edward) sat down with me in his “retreat” in the northeast and discussed the current state of affairs, both personally and within the band, and briefly touched on the rumors of past singers again returning, and the statement that Van Halen (the band) has become more of a running joke, cannon fodder, than the powerhouse that it once was.

RS: Good morning, Ed. I see that life is treating you quite well. How are you doing? Healthy?

VH: Healthy as a guy my age can get. You forget, I’ve fought off a bad hip, cancer, and all sorts of stuff in my life. I’m not getting any younger, you know. (Smiles widely)

RS: I understand that completely. What would you say the fans of you, or your band, are wanting right now (No pun intended)?

VH: Why is it every time someone says those two words to me they have to follow it with “No Pun Intended”. I didn’t invent those words. My band just made them common and put them in a Pepsi ad (laughs..) No, um…I think what our fans…collectively…that follow the music are wanting is a sense of knowing “what’s up” with us.

RS: What IS up with you?

VH: At the moment? Nothing. You know, Al’s at home relaxing, I’m just hanging out here working on some stuff I been working on, and Sam’s got his solo thing going and Mike is out there with him on some of those dates. Everyone’s having a good time.

RS: So judging from that, you’re saying it’s over?

VH: Over? No. Nothing’s ever “over” with this organization. We’re like a really open marriage, we take breaks, do other things, sometimes come back with a new wife here or there, but we always make it back somehow.

RS: A New wife? You mean new singer…is that what you’re saying.

VH: New wife, new singer….same thing. They play the same role. They both nag ya till ya wanna run away, and they both are capable of making or breaking a family.
    RS: Who is your singer, at this very moment, Ed?

VH: As far as I know, Sam’s still very much a part of this band. Like I said, he goes out and does his thing, and you know, I’ve got stuff written for him to put words to…I sure hope he comes back. He’s out doing his own thing, and that’s what keeps him happy. He’s got another whole family out there in his bars and his clubs that he’s gotta see on occasion. Nothin too awfully wrong with that, I guess. It re-fuels him for the stuff we want to do.

RS: So “Van Halen” as it was last year, your saying, for the record, still “is”?

VH: I’ve learned not to promise anything Jenny. The minute I promise anything, it gets turned up in my face. But as far as I know….

RS: What about the recent reports, online for example, that Sam said “you didn’t get along” on the recent tour? How would you address the issues people are taking with your drinking?

VH: First, let me put an end to that bullshit right now. I drink because I can. Everyone has good nights and bad nights. I had more bad nights than good nights on that tour, and I’ve discussed it with people, and I know now what I can and can’t do on stage, and I know how to keep things in check. And as far as not getting along goes…it’s a band….who gets along as much as they’d like in a band? If people in bands got along, we wouldn’t have made anything from 1984 forward…or at least not the quality of the stuff we did.

RS: You’d still have Roth, you mean?

VH: Well, I don’t know about THAT…but if people got along, you never know what would have happened after 1984. And yes, before you even ask, I know what the next question is. No, I’m not playing with Dave again. What is it with THAT rumor? Every time I sit down, people think we’ve broken up again and Dave is coming back. GET OVER IT, PEOPLE!

RS: It’s what the fans want. Some fans consider that the only true “Van Halen”.

VH: Well, they’re allowed to think that. Hell, until half way through the 5150 album and tour, I thought that myself. But things change. Things changed again in 1998, and again last year. It’s all music, it’s all there, it’s all Van Halen. Until the day that Al and me aren’t on that stage playing those songs, it’s all Van Halen.

RS: Do you talk to Dave?

VH: We’re not close…umm….I’ve talked to him once or twice, you know, a couple times over the years….but we’re not close, you know, brothers any more. I just believe that you can’t live your life holding regret or grudge against someone. He feels the same way, so, you know, we put that shit behind us and we move on.

RS: Any chance you’d ever work with him again?

VH: Is there a chance? Well…I don’t ever say “never” in this band, but honestly, he’s doing his own thing, and he’s happy. He still goes out for the one-off show here and there, and you know, he sings my songs, but it’s still good to see him doing it. I wonder sometimes where his head is, but it’s still good to see it. As far as working together, you know, I tried that once, twice even if you follow some rumors, and I don’t forsee it, but I won’t ever rule it out either.

RS: Tell me about Wolf.

VH: Who? Wolfie? Yeah…that’s my boy…well…young man now. It’s a great thing having kids. They can carry on your legacy. I took him out with us once or twice last year.

RS: You still see him?

VH: Oh hell yeah. He’s my son. My day’s not complete until I talk to him. I mean, I talk to all my nieces and nephews too, but I have to talk to the old namesake every day….

RS: Valerie has him, then? You still are on good terms with her?

VH: Well, I mean, it was a divorce, it’s as good terms as it could be. We DO have a child together, so I mean, yeah, we have to speak now and again. We’re still friends, I mean, we still care for one another, we’re just not married. It’s best that way for everyone.

RS: What about last year? The tour nobody thought would happen. Tell me a little about that. What went through your mind at the first show.

VH: That very first show, when we stood there, the four of us and looked at each other behind that curtain…. I kinda looked at Mike, and he gave me his toothy “thumbs up”, and I looked at Al and he was twirling his sticks, and I looked at Sam and he grinned and pulled down his glasses and did his “scream” and that was that. It was a roller coaster from day one, and I loved it, and I wouldn’t have traded it for anything. The new songs got well received, the band as a whole got well received, and it’s like the eight years never happened. It was magic for a long long time. We got bored at the end, but it was still “there” you know what I mean?

RS: What’s your opinion on the Hall of Fame?

VH: Heh, you know, I don’t know. It’d be great to get the honor, but it’s not worth living and dying for. The fans want it….and that organization should listen to their fans. That’s all I’m gonna say about that.

RS: Would you play with Dave for one night if you got inducted?

VH: Um….I don’t know. I don’t see why not, for one night. We could probably stand each other for that long. I mean, we’re cordial but I don’t know about a full time thing. One night, probably, yeah, I could handle that. You know, let him do “Jump” or something, let Sam do one of our songs we did with him, you know “Dreams” or something…. Hell, we could bring back Gary if we wanted too for one night! Let’s see them actually get our name on a ballot first.

RS: How Many Say I?

VH: Too many when I tried to sing that song (Laughs)…let’s leave that one alone.

RS: What do you think of the internet? Fan pages, message boards, stuff like that? In recent days, this band has become the “running” joke in the media. “Time for another breakup”, they say.

VH: Yeah, well, my band will always be cannon fodder for the ages. I think it’s absolutely great what some people can dream up. There are some places out there that are tried and true tributes to the band or me, or whatever, and you have your people who just go out and make it up as they go along, and you know, if I paid any attention to any of that, I’d have died in a bottle last year sometime. Some people out there claim they’re even family…well…okay. Close maybe….family…no…and MY family knows when to clam up. Nephews, cousins, whatever. Don’t believe everything you read. Did you know that Al quit the music business forever, then came back, formed a jazz band, then quit again? (Laughs) Now your website, Jenny. That’s class act (laughs).

RS: Uh huh. Nice save, Ed (both laugh). So things are good. We can look forward to hearing from you in the future?

VH: Oh yeah. They haven’t put the nail in my coffin yet. I’ll always be around, doing something here or there.

RS: And “Van Halen”?

VH: Just sit tight folks. Nothing’s over until I say it’s over. When you hear it from me, take it at word. Otherwise, you know, I’ll be here.

RS: Any closing thoughts?

VH: I thought that WAS my closing thought (Laughs).

RS: Sounds like a good point to end to me.

VH. Yep.

Roth Convert. Sam WHO?
    Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't buy it.....not entirely. I mean, while this "sounds" like ed...why would you post this "here". This is decidely "not" a "pro-roth" interview.... How's about naming a source?

Waylon F'N Jennings
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Doesn't seem legit to me. At times it seems like Ed, but at other times it seems like it's just someone addressing everything discussed online.

RS: So “Van Halen” as it was last year, your saying, for the record, still “is”?

"Your saying"? Try "You're saying." There are a few things like that in the interview. Also, it seems too, well... nice... for Ed. How convenient, also, that he says he'd play with Dave at a HOF induction. That hasn't been discussed online at all, has it? The How Many Say I comment seems odd, too.

Maybe it's legit, but I personally don't think it is. We'll see, though, won't we? It could be a good sign -- for a change, Ed would actually be talking to people about his band. Wow.
    Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002. RIP, Hoss!

Roth Convert. Sam WHO?
    Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Agreed..... I hadn't picked up on that stuff, and I'm usually a big hit on the grammar etc side of it. I'm still not sure. One thing you said though, if it's really RS, their spelling and grammar both suck.

Roth Addict
    Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well nobody (particularly me) is claiming that it WAS or WASN'T for sure a legit thing. I'm just saying, I got it and I'm posting it. As far as my "Source" goes steveonet, who cares...it's news isn't it? Isn't that what everyone wants? NEWS?

Waylon F'N Jennings
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yep. There are a few problems with the punctuation, too. This could be a copy of the interview from before an editor got his or her hands on it, but it still doesn't seem like it's RS or Ed (at least not consistently).

Roth Convert. Sam WHO?
    Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm posting this on a couple other forums to get opinions, if nobody minds me quoting the Army site on it.

Waylon F'N Jennings
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by jrothmacneil
    Well nobody (particularly me) is claiming that it WAS or WASN'T for sure a legit thing. I'm just saying, I got it and I'm posting it. As far as my "Source" goes steveonet, who cares...it's news isn't it? Isn't that what everyone wants? NEWS?
    As far as I know, we were just discussing the interview's credibility and not yours for posting it. That's what I thought, anyway... but I'm really only speaking for myself. You learn to be skeptical of VH-related stuff, I guess... and for good reason, IMO.

Now that it's been mentioned again, the source interests me, too. Also, is there any date for the publication of this interview?

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by jrothmacneil
    I've checked this out. It seems to be legit. The author is a writer for Rolling STone....and the interview sounds like ed.

Van Halen “Cannon Fodder For The Ages”?
    The king of the electric six string discusses his past, his battles with addiction and cancer, and the status, once and for all, of what some consider to be the world’s greatest rock band, in an exclusive interview.

By JENNY ELISCU

If it weren’t for bad news, or breakup news, fans of Van Halen wouldn’t have any news at all. Unfortunately, there’s no bad news or breakup news, and nothing is all the fans are getting.

Following a wildly successful reunion tour that spanned the United States (and Puerto Rico, too!) with aging singer Sammy Hagar in tow, the band finds themselves on a hiatus…again…a status far too familiar with the band’s fans and far too unsettling for it’s founding member, and namesake, Edward Van Halen.

"Wildly successful" reunion tour????

Did Jenny Eliscu do her research before this interview?

Sounds more like a spin job from the VH PR Department...
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "and, you know, he sings my songs, but it's still good to see him doing it." FUCK YOU, Ed! What a jagoff. "My songs". Yep, CVH was 100% you, Ed, lyrics, vocals and everything. Little but of a contrast to what he said in 1984: "This may sound fucked, but to tell you the honest God truth, I don't even know a lot of the lyrics to our songs. Dave writes 'em and I'm just not into that." Shit, Roth comes across to many as arrogant, but he's never denied the contribution that EVH made to CVH and the importance of Ed's guitar work to that bands sound. If Ed's looking at CVH music as "his" songs, that's a seriously fucked mentality. Makes me rethink the idea of Alex being the prime asshole out of the brothers.

Gee, Ed, I can't IMAGINE why people are still asking about Roth getting back together with the band. Maybe because the music THAT lineup of the band came up with is what a lot of fans are interested in. Doesn't take much to figure that one out.

Somebody please buy this fucker a clue. Sweet JESUS!!

Ed did display his generous side by leaving the possibility of "letting [Roth] do Jump, or something", should Van Halen get inducted to the rock and roll hall of fame. "LETTING him"? What a douche! As in, "Nyah, nyah, it's MY band and maybe I'll let you play with me if I feel like it." Honestly hope Roth doesn't show up if said RNRHOF appearance materializes. Let Sammy and Gary show up. It'll speak volumes, and the thought of Ed and Co. being inducted and then facing another barrage of "Where's Dave?" questions will induce some more memorable moments of squirm-inducing comic relief as Ed, Al, Sam and Mike offer another round of "Roth was useless, Van Hagar was the definitive lineup of Van Halen" responses.

Love how Ed comments that Roth still "goes for the one-off show, here and there". Ed, you wanna stack up how many dates Roth has played since 1999 vs. how many live appearances you've given? Shit, the guy puts out 3 songs and plays a few dozen dates or so in 6 years, and has the temerity to imply that Roth hasn't been gigging regularly during the same time period.

According to Ed, the 2004 tour was well-received, the three new songs were well-received, the band got bored with things by the end of the tour, but as far as Ed knows Sam is still in the band? Wow. Really bodes well for the future of Van Hagar when the musicians that are IN THE BAND aren't even excited about playing together. That's the spirit!! If it's any consolation, I was bored after only one listen apiece of those 3 new tunes, so props to him for hanging in there last year and not breaking into a yawn, or even worse, falling asleep onstage.

Why even bother with the interview? It's basically the same "hang in there-I might put out something soon-can't say for sure who's singing-it'll probably be Sammy but you never know because Dave and I might work again in the future-have plenty of music ready-we're not through yet" coyness Ed's been diddling around with in the few statements he's given since Cherone bailed in 1999. Could see the reasoning behind Guitar World interviewing Ed last year, as putting out a greatest hits with some new material tacked on and hitting the road constituted something worthy to talk about, considering the inactivity of the previous 5 years. Seems Ed should have thought of something to talk about before doing this one; realizing it's tough to have anything to say about what's going on when you're not doing anything.

Ed shouldn't bother contacting Dave or making sly allusions that a CVH reunion is possible anymore. Just rule it out, or say "no comment" next time someone asks you about Roth. Be a man, say "the singer is gonna be Sammy, take it or leave it, fuck you if you don't like it" and continue watching the fanbase dwindle. I'd thank him for providng me with so much listening pleasure from 1978 to 1984, but he clearly doesn't deserve it, so fuck it.

Just reaffirms my notion that Dave should steer clear of the Van Halens. At some point in the future, an overture will be made to Dave from the Van Halens to do a tour. Just a given. They'll be looking to cash out on a larger scale than they did last year, and are probably figuring Dave will go for it whenever they ask. Fuck 'em. Keep the legend intact.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    that doesn't sound like ed.

John Holmes
    At risk of coming out as an ass, I don't buy this interview at all. It all seems fabricated to me, doesn't sound much like the Wino Himself.

I mean, where is his usual nonsense thrown here and there throughout the whole interview? Like "I'll get Wolfie to sing when his balls drop".

This guy sounds sober and coherent. It can't be really our friend Van Heineken speaking.

If it's on the 5/5 Rolling Stones issue, we'll see it. Otherwise, till then, it's bullshit.

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm not buying it.

It may "sound" like Ed, but I don't think he would have been so forthright with some of that info.

Not woithout his big brother hangin over his shoulder.
    Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

I've returned
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I dont care reading eddies interview... he makes ozzy look sober
    Why do women need driver's Licenses? there aren't many roads between the bedroom and the kitchen.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "EVH Interview RS Magazine 05/05"

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

1 day on the site and an "exclusive" interview?!?

Nice try.

Post a link, give some insight into where this came from

Or FUCK OFF.

It's Showtime!
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

FAKE!

This is interview totally fabricated. I just recorded vocals for Ed's "solo" album up in a nor cal studio, and we have a 30th anniversary box set in the works, with a possible classic VH tour.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    As a work of fiction I give it * one star.

BORING

Nir - VAN - a
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The one thing that does sound like Ed to me is.....

"Until the day that Al and me aren’t on that stage playing those songs, it’s all Van Halen"

He forgot the bass players name again.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: FAKE!

Originally posted by johnburrows
    This is interview totally fabricated. I just recorded vocals for Ed's "solo" album up in a nor cal studio, and we have a 30th anniversary box set in the works, with a possible classic VH tour.
    Hey, now we have two liars competing with each other!

Great shit, guys. Keep us laughing, ya goddamn sheep
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

um...yeah
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah rrrrrriiggghhhtttt! I suppose the following picture coincides with this supposed interview??

fuck, who cares anymore? Fuck Ed

Lord of the Spandex
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sweet Jesus Ed is wearing a tweety bird shirt

I raelly hope he's not as dellusional as that interview made him sound......but who knows nowdays.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: FAKE!

Originally posted by johnburrows
    Fuckin' FAKE! is right you trolling cunt!

FUCK OFF ALREADY!

Go lap your mothers cunt again!

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's all gay!!!
    Twistin' by the pool.

Roth Convert. Sam WHO?
    Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was wondering how long it would take the shepherds to jump on this one. I was beginning to worry. Everyone was being far to nice about it. Glad to see the army hasn't lost it's touch...haven't been around in a while, but it's still nice to see you're all just as colorful as ever. I gotta get around here more often.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: Re: FAKE!

Originally posted by FORD
    Hey, now we have two liars competing with each other!
    So you think someone airbrushed DLR and Templeman together in that pic? Looks real enough to me.

Eat 'Em And Smile Bitch!!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I would say it's a legit interview. Why wouldn't Edward say those things?
    "To keep up with me, you must be fast. To sing like me, you must be great. To beat me? You must be kidding!"
    - DLR, 2004

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: Re: Re: FAKE!

Originally posted by GAR
    So you think someone airbrushed DLR and Templeman together in that pic? Looks real enough to me.
    Whoever that is in that pic, it ain't Ted Templeman.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    How would you know?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Because Ted Templeman looks almost exactly like Dick Van Patten from Eight Is Enough.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    No way. Ed's not due for another interview for at least 3 years.

Medium Pimpin
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's fake IMHO! I've kept up with the VH fiasco since 96. I won't lie, I had the six pac so I didn't care what they did with that other jackass. But I was watching the MTV awards that night and when they walked out on stage together I literally put my head through our brand new spackled ceiling. I was a little excited and remember my stepbrother and my uncle were playing Tendo in the other room and they came running cause they thought I hurt myself. The next day I started lookin for info to see if they were gonna tour and I stumbled across alot of older interviews by that other band. Every single written or broadcast interview they did was completely negative towards Dave. This interview, even with the arrogant comments he made still seems to be a little to positive with regard to how he never openly blasted Dave or CVH as he has continually and consistantly since he left.

Course this is just my two pennies.

ROTHITE BARBARICUS ELITE
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed has never been open like that to anybody on any interview in years..its bs.

EUAS

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    agreed. i found it funny ed would say he drinks cause he can. ive read many O interviews with him where he talks candidly about alcoholism and the problems he has had with it. that just struck me as odd as he would basically make a joke about his problem. but then again, this is ed. and ive always said that he is the most inconsistent interview ever. whether it be about roth or sammy or gear or whether he marshall was modded, you get my point. im still saying we are 3 years away from either a real interview or a funeral announcement. which i hope doesnt happen

Lord of the Spandex
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well I hope the latter of those two doesn't happen, or we will never see a CVH reunion and that will royally suck some major ass.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    me too bro, me too

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sounds like Ed to me...

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    fake...
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

On Fire
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yep, it's fake! a boring fake

guwapo_rocker
    To many of the things he supposedly said were plucked right off

of this site ie: "Dave's doing one offs now".

Fake.

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Its gotta be bs!

Ed's a liar and some of that...whoa!

Thread Information