Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: David Lee Roth At Studio 54

  1. #1
    Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Unchainme's Avatar
    Member No
    12680
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Last Online
    08-29-2021 @ 07:13 PM
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Age
    33
    Posts
    7,741
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,016
    Thanked 532 Times in 375 Posts


    Rep Power
    30

    David Lee Roth At Studio 54

    I remember seeing this some one On One Of Those Flashback Shows on VH1 and they were Interviewing Diamond dave about Studio 54 and If He ever got into it. He said Something like "Well I Had Just Finished This Huge Van Halen World Tour And I asked the Guy at The Front Door If he recognized him, and He said Nope Sorry I don't recognize you" Anyway I just find this funny cause I can't Picture dave as Being A Disco fan, but that was probably the place to be if you were a celeb like Diamond Dave.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  2. #2
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Seshmeister's Avatar
    Member No
    11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    34,188
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    2,676
    Thanked 8,998 Times in 5,790 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Dave was a huge disco and coke fan.

    Of course he went there...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  3. #3
    king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

    DlocRoth's Avatar
    Member No
    271
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    04-06-2018 @ 03:53 PM
    Location
    the mighty STP
    Age
    47
    Posts
    5,515
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    273
    Thanked 150 Times in 120 Posts


    Rep Power
    26
    Read "CFTH". Dave digs Disco.

    But he digs the night life more. Something would have been seriously fucked up in our antiquated systems if Roth hadn't frequented that place.

    Says he and Nile Rogers couldn't get in, right after VH and Chic had blown up, and they were pissed.

    They treated it like all spiritual injuries...with alcohol.

    I also remember Ed in some interview raggin on Dave for likin Disco.

    I could say more, but I'll push the book instead.
    Last edited by DlocRoth; 05-25-2005 at 07:34 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  4. #4
    SHEEP PEN Yahweh
    Full Member Status

    academic punk's Avatar
    Member No
    10120
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Last Online
    01-21-2012 @ 01:08 PM
    Location
    New York FUCKIN' City
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,436
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 26 Times in 10 Posts


    Rep Power
    23
    Indeed, Dave is an enormous dance music fan.

    In CFTH, he jokes that he has easily purchased half the 34 million copies of the Saturday Night Fever soungtrack.

    In fact, what Dave brought to the table of Mammoth was his interest in turning Eddie and Alex's attention towards making their music more "dance-able". He argued - correctly - that Ed can sit there and jam on the entire twenty minute solo of Cream's "I'm So Glad", and though it's very impressive, the problem is that the audience can't DANCE to it. It isn't "Hey, so do you come here often?" (or, for that matter, chick-friendly in the first place) music.

    Once Dave began to assert his perspective with the brothers, they suddenly noticed that the number of people attending their shows - and girls in particular - grew enormously. So as much as the brothers wanted to be a metal band and call themselves Rat Salade (or some such shit), they knew that this new guy had some good perspectives on how to succeed.


    On a side bar, the only music Dave has steadily ever said he WASN'T a fan of is metal. He has cited Neil Young, Bowie, Chic, Abba, the Bee Gees, the Stones and many others as things he either admired or was influenced by. He has always made fun of the Ozzys, Vince Neils, and metal guitarists who seem only capable of counting as high as four and then starting over again.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  5. #5
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    rustoffa's Avatar
    Member No
    117
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 03:47 AM
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    8,943
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 60 Times in 42 Posts


    Rep Power
    28
    Originally posted by DlocRoth
    Read "CFTH". Dave digs Disco.

    Says he and Nile Rogers couldn't get in, right after VH and Chic had blown up, and they were pissed.

    I could say more, but I'll push the book instead.
    Yeah, Chic's "Freak Out" song is about getting snubbed at the velvet rope....it started out as "Fuck You".

    Nile Rogers is one hell of a musician. Vegas Veteran!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  6. #6
    Rotharmy Gladiator

    DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    MAX's Avatar
    Member No
    39
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    09-18-2010 @ 03:14 PM
    Location
    The Preeety Reeeeever
    Age
    52
    Posts
    12,968
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked 174 Times in 138 Posts


    Rep Power
    33
    Originally posted by academic punk
    In CFTH, he jokes that he has easily purchased half the 34 million copies of the Saturday Night Fever soungtrack.

    I purchased the other half. Fuckin' love that album.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  7. #7
    SHEEP PEN Yahweh
    Full Member Status

    academic punk's Avatar
    Member No
    10120
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Last Online
    01-21-2012 @ 01:08 PM
    Location
    New York FUCKIN' City
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,436
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 26 Times in 10 Posts


    Rep Power
    23
    Originally posted by MAX
    I purchased the other half. Fuckin' love that album.

    You're really going out of your way to prove you're not a heterosexual, you know that, don't you?

  8. #8
    king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

    DlocRoth's Avatar
    Member No
    271
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    04-06-2018 @ 03:53 PM
    Location
    the mighty STP
    Age
    47
    Posts
    5,515
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    273
    Thanked 150 Times in 120 Posts


    Rep Power
    26
    Originally posted by academic punk
    You're really going out of your way to prove you're not a heterosexual, you know that, don't you?
    Meow!

  9. #9
    Nir - VAN - a
    Veteran
    Big Fat Sammy's Avatar
    Member No
    11187
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Online
    06-30-2017 @ 03:44 PM
    Location
    Columbus Ohio
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,738
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 25 Times in 9 Posts


    Rep Power
    19
    Originally posted by academic punk


    Once Dave began to assert his perspective with the brothers, they suddenly noticed that the number of people attending their shows - and girls in particular - grew enormously.
    ...and they were also using him for the PA system that he owned.

    Funny how some things have always remained the same.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  10. #10
    Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Hardrock69's Avatar
    Member No
    11017
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Online
    11-13-2022 @ 11:06 PM
    Location
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Posts
    21,794
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,526
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,630 Posts


    Rep Power
    66
    Originally posted by academic punk
    Indeed, Dave is an enormous dance music fan.

    In CFTH, he jokes that he has easily purchased half the 34 million copies of the Saturday Night Fever soungtrack.

    In fact, what Dave brought to the table of Mammoth was his interest in turning Eddie and Alex's attention towards making their music more "dance-able". He argued - correctly - that Ed can sit there and jam on the entire twenty minute solo of Cream's "I'm So Glad", and though it's very impressive, the problem is that the audience can't DANCE to it. It isn't "Hey, so do you come here often?" (or, for that matter, chick-friendly in the first place) music.

    Once Dave began to assert his perspective with the brothers, they suddenly noticed that the number of people attending their shows - and girls in particular - grew enormously. So as much as the brothers wanted to be a metal band and call themselves Rat Salade (or some such shit), they knew that this new guy had some good perspectives on how to succeed.


    On a side bar, the only music Dave has steadily ever said he WASN'T a fan of is metal. He has cited Neil Young, Bowie, Chic, Abba, the Bee Gees, the Stones and many others as things he either admired or was influenced by. He has always made fun of the Ozzys, Vince Neils, and metal guitarists who seem only capable of counting as high as four and then starting over again.

    If Dave had not been around to steer that band in the direction he did, we may not have ever heard the name Van Halen.....

    And look at what he brings to the fucking table!

    Danceable music? Yes.

    Great American Songbook? FUCK Yes!!! I can just imagine him singing "Ol Man River" from the musical "Showboat".

    I mean he did the old Frank Sinatra signature toon "That's Life" on something early on in his solo career...was it Crazy From The Heat?

    And on the song "Nightlife" he woulda made Ray Motherfucking Charles proud!

    Dave has more musical integrity and common street wisdom than the Sisters and Mikey combined will EVER have....

    Dave took the Monkey Hour and made it a global phenomenon!!!
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 05-26-2005 at 12:51 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  11. #11
    SHEEP PEN Yahweh
    Full Member Status

    academic punk's Avatar
    Member No
    10120
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Last Online
    01-21-2012 @ 01:08 PM
    Location
    New York FUCKIN' City
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,436
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 26 Times in 10 Posts


    Rep Power
    23
    Originally posted by Hardrock69

    I mean he did the old Frank Sinatra signature toon "That's Life" on something early on in his solo career...was it Crazy From The Heat?

    And on the song "Nighrtlife" he woulda made Ray Motherfucking Charles proud!


    That's Life was on Eat 'Em, the final track. Crazy from the Heat featured covers of Easy Street, Gigolo, Cali Girls, and an impressive Coconut Grove.

    Night Life would make Ray or Willie Nelson proud indeed!

  12. #12
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Panamark's Avatar
    Member No
    24
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 10:03 AM
    Location
    Fucking, Australia
    Posts
    17,113
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    392
    Thanked 816 Times in 559 Posts


    Rep Power
    46
    It was a great place to score coke !
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  13. #13
    Groupie

    Member No
    1342
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Last Online
    02-25-2018 @ 03:18 PM
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    76
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 19 Times in 3 Posts


    Rep Power
    20
    Doesn't he mention going to Studio 54 in CFTH in the same chapter where he's talking about pissing on a guy sitiing in a tub full of piss in the mens room? It's pretty dark but quite funny. It's from the late 70's I believe
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  14. #14
    SHEEP PEN Yahweh
    Full Member Status

    academic punk's Avatar
    Member No
    10120
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Last Online
    01-21-2012 @ 01:08 PM
    Location
    New York FUCKIN' City
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,436
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 26 Times in 10 Posts


    Rep Power
    23
    Originally posted by drgong
    Doesn't he mention going to Studio 54 in CFTH in the same chapter where he's talking about pissing on a guy sitiing in a tub full of piss in the mens room? It's pretty dark but quite funny. It's from the late 70's I believe
    That was the Hellfire Club. Two completely different environments.

    The Hellfire Club was an S&M joint on 14th St and 10th Ave, Studio 54 was a disco was located on - shock - 54th St.

    Studio 54 was known for its celebrity sightings and rampant drug use. The Hellfire Club - because of the nature of what was going on - did not even have a liquor license and maintained a strict code of no drugs on the premises (the reason being was that this is an S&M joint - everone is already going "too far". If somone is seriously injured or killed while, say, living out their asphyxiation fantasy, the club could face severe penalties and liabilities).

    I've been to both, but in each case well after their heyday. The Hellfire Club was actually kind of depressing. BUT I SWEAR TO GOD - AND THIS WAS BEFORE I EVER READ DAVE'S BOOK - AT ONE POINT I WENT TO TAKE A PISS AND THERE WAS SOME GUY LYING IN THE TUB.

  15. #15
    Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    DrMaddVibe's Avatar
    Member No
    938
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    06-07-2017 @ 10:19 PM
    Location
    The West Coast of the East Coast
    Posts
    6,658
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 81 Times in 51 Posts


    Rep Power
    26
    Originally posted by academic punk
    AT ONE POINT I WENT TO TAKE A PISS AND THERE WAS SOME GUY LYING IN THE TUB.

    It was Three Cock Rock wasn't it? C'mon...you can tell us. He was laying there waiting to hear the next "big" hit from Spammy wasn't he! Was he there as a target or was he drinking the piss? It would explain a lot about his taste in music!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  16. #16
    SHEEP PEN Yahweh
    Full Member Status

    academic punk's Avatar
    Member No
    10120
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Last Online
    01-21-2012 @ 01:08 PM
    Location
    New York FUCKIN' City
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,436
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 26 Times in 10 Posts


    Rep Power
    23
    Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
    It was Three Cock Rock wasn't it? C'mon...you can tell us. He was laying there waiting to hear the next "big" hit from Spammy wasn't he! Was he there as a target or was he drinking the piss? It would explain a lot about his taste in music!

    HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!

    No, I was merely an impressionable, naive 24 year old at the time, so it completely freaked me out.

    The other shit I saw going on - men crawling on thier hands and knees, drinking from a dog bowl, guys chained upside down and being tortured with nipple clamps and whatnot, some guy jerking off while a dominatrix waited for the moment before he climaxed to slash his cockhole with a razor. Fuckin' real sick degenerate shit.

    I only ever went back twice ever since...

  17. #17
    SHEEP PEN GUNTKEEPER
    Veteran

    Member No
    6712
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Last Online
    10-17-2005 @ 07:21 PM
    Location
    Nashvegas, TN
    Posts
    1,770
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    20
    Is hellfire still open? I'm planning a vacation.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  18. #18
    the juggernaut bitch
    Full Member Status

    Redballjets88's Avatar
    Member No
    12533
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Last Online
    10-05-2021 @ 12:47 AM
    Location
    Dallas
    Age
    34
    Posts
    4,453
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 46 Times in 38 Posts


    Rep Power
    22
    gross? yeah gross
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  19. #19
    SHEEP PEN Yahweh
    Full Member Status

    academic punk's Avatar
    Member No
    10120
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Last Online
    01-21-2012 @ 01:08 PM
    Location
    New York FUCKIN' City
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,436
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 26 Times in 10 Posts


    Rep Power
    23
    Originally posted by vanzilla
    Is hellfire still open? I'm planning a vacation.
    Unfortunately, it went the way of all flesh...

    But there are PLENTY of places that have risen in its wake.

    Bring the wife!

  20. #20
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    rustoffa's Avatar
    Member No
    117
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 03:47 AM
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    8,943
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 60 Times in 42 Posts


    Rep Power
    28
    Originally posted by academic punk
    BUT I SWEAR TO GOD - AND THIS WAS BEFORE I EVER READ DAVE'S BOOK - AT ONE POINT I WENT TO TAKE A PISS AND THERE WAS SOME GUY LYING IN THE TUB.
    You know how at the county fairs and/or theme parks, they have that "win a prize" booth where you have to shoot a clown in the mouth with a water pistol 'til the baloon on top of it's head pops?

    Was it anything like that?
    :confused:

  21. #21
    Drop and give me ten!
    Veteran
    NATEDOG001976's Avatar
    Member No
    3370
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Last Online
    12-31-2020 @ 12:01 PM
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,369
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 53 Times in 33 Posts


    Rep Power
    21
    Studio 54 looked pretty gay from what I saw on TV. I hated Disco, it looked like a bunch of druged out sluts hung out there. I was only like 3 when 54 was open, but still..it looked gay!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  22. #22
    Thanks forthe dream.- DLR
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    diamondsgirl's Avatar
    Member No
    4089
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Last Online
    08-19-2021 @ 01:39 AM
    Location
    USA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    7,546
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    491
    Thanked 255 Times in 153 Posts


    Rep Power
    28
    Originally posted by MAX
    I purchased the other half. Fuckin' love that album.
    I love that tune "You Should be Dancin'"
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  23. #23
    king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

    DlocRoth's Avatar
    Member No
    271
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    04-06-2018 @ 03:53 PM
    Location
    the mighty STP
    Age
    47
    Posts
    5,515
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    273
    Thanked 150 Times in 120 Posts


    Rep Power
    26
    Originally posted by NATEDOG001976
    Studio 54 looked pretty gay from what I saw on TV. I hated Disco, it looked like a bunch of druged out sluts hung out there. I was only like 3 when 54 was open, but still..it looked gay!
    Yeah, drugged out sluts....eeeew gross!

  24. #24
    SHEEP PEN Yahweh
    Full Member Status

    academic punk's Avatar
    Member No
    10120
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Last Online
    01-21-2012 @ 01:08 PM
    Location
    New York FUCKIN' City
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,436
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 26 Times in 10 Posts


    Rep Power
    23
    Originally posted by rustoffa
    You know how at the county fairs and/or theme parks, they have that "win a prize" booth where you have to shoot a clown in the mouth with a water pistol 'til the baloon on top of it's head pops?

    Was it anything like that?
    :confused:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!! A little something like that I suppose!



    Originally posted by NATEDOG001976
    Studio 54 looked pretty gay from what I saw on TV. I hated Disco, it looked like a bunch of druged out sluts hung out there. I was only like 3 when 54 was open, but still..it looked gay!
    Dude, have you seen how 80s metal bands dressed? It doesn't get any retrospectively queerer than that! Even Ozzy laments how during that era, gay people would walk up to him, look at his outfits, and say, "What are you DOING???"

  25. #25
    Rotharmy Gladiator

    DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    MAX's Avatar
    Member No
    39
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    09-18-2010 @ 03:14 PM
    Location
    The Preeety Reeeeever
    Age
    52
    Posts
    12,968
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked 174 Times in 138 Posts


    Rep Power
    33
    Originally posted by diamondsgirl
    I love that tune "You Should be Dancin'"

    Great tune.

    I like it a lot.

  26. #26
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Seshmeister's Avatar
    Member No
    11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    34,188
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    2,676
    Thanked 8,998 Times in 5,790 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Originally posted by academic punk
    HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!

    No, I was merely an impressionable, naive 24 year old at the time, so it completely freaked me out.

    The other shit I saw going on - men crawling on thier hands and knees, drinking from a dog bowl, guys chained upside down and being tortured with nipple clamps and whatnot, some guy jerking off while a dominatrix waited for the moment before he climaxed to slash his cockhole with a razor. Fuckin' real sick degenerate shit.

    I only ever went back twice ever since...
    Of course in NYC these days it would be non smoking which is bizarre...

  27. #27
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Nitro Express's Avatar
    Member No
    7682
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    01-18-2023 @ 04:34 AM
    Location
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming
    Posts
    31,504
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,255
    Thanked 3,696 Times in 3,000 Posts


    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    89
    Dave cracked me up about the dude laying in the bathtub that you pissed into like a urnal when he said,"Do I tip this guy?" LOL!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. David Lee Roth!!!!
    By guwapo_rocker in forum Website Related Discussion - Webmaster Feedback
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-12-2005, 12:17 PM
  2. Best Of Vol. 1 vs. David Lee Roth: The Best
    By vhrocks2005 in forum VH/DLR Songs And Albums
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-15-2005, 09:54 PM
  3. DAVID LEE ROTH the EMT!!!!????
    By ZaneHalen in forum Main VH/DLR Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 04:43 AM
  4. David Lee F*&kin Roth!!!!!!!!!!!!
    By VANHALEN2004 in forum Main VH/DLR Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 01:40 AM
  5. David Lee Roth
    By thefive in forum Main VH/DLR Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 05:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •