would not pay more than face

value to see them now.

And when was the last time

Van Hagar had to worry about

scalpers?

Bahahahahahaha.

Can Scalpers Be Stopped?

With Stones seats going for $6,500, the answer is no

In an attempt to thwart scalpers, the Rolling Stones charged $100 for a "platinum membership" that would guarantee four tickets for shows on their Onstage Tour, which kicks off August 21st at Boston's Fenway Park. Within hours of going on sale, fifteen out of seventeen shows had sold out -- but scalpers got many of the best seats anyway. Fans complained that the membership plan backfired: Ticket brokers simply paid the fee and passed on the cost. Days after they went on sale, Fenway seats were going for up to $6,555 on ticketsnow.com and $3,824 on stubhub.com.

With the Stones, Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen and U2 on the road, 2005 is turning into the Year of the Scalper, and big acts are trying to fight back. McCartney made roughly 1,000 fan-club tickets per show available a day before the rest of the seats went on sale, but scalpers had joined the free fan club and some even sold the presale passwords on eBay. Springsteen required people who bought the best seats for his current solo tour to pick up the tickets at will call and show ID, but scalpers accompanied buyers to the booth and switched tickets later. And U2 had to apologize earlier this year when the band made far too few seats available for fan-club purchase -- after charging $40 for the privilege of joining the presale.

"No one has found the cure for it," says Jonny Podell, Van Halen's agent. "It's an amazing thing. I've been in this business thirty-five years. It's never been fixed."

Ticket brokers and scalpers, who are legal in most states, are selling tickets for higher prices than ever: Tickets for the Eagles' August 16th concert at the Santa Barbara Bowl in California cost $2,353 on stubhub.com; $78.50 seats for the John Mellencamp-John Fogerty July 8th show at Jones Beach, in Wantagh, New York, cost $225 on eBay.

It's not just big-time brokers who abuse the fan-club system. Mark Kaplan, 51, of Greendale, Wisconsin, is a longtime McCartney fan who scooped up fourteen tickets to the Milwaukee show and has sold six on eBay for a profit of about $600. "Making $100 to $150 profit [a ticket], I don't view that as scalping," he says, adding that what he does is perfectly legal.

While McCartney, the Stones, U2 and Springsteen representatives wouldn't comment, many managers and promoters say that outlandish scalper prices in recent years have led directly to a spike in face-value ticket prices. "The theory is, the scalpers are gonna get them anyway," Podell says. "That's the rationalization for the music community. I would say 100 percent of artists use that as an explanation for their high ticket prices."

STEVE KNOPPER
    (Posted Jun 03, 2005) ]

Link

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Concerts have become way to expensive, one thing I miss about the 80's and early 90's is you could go have a good time for under a 100 bucks, those days are long over.....
    Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

guwapo_rocker
    Fuck, I saw the Police at the Music Hall for $9.99.

Same with Iggy Pop.

Because I can, dammit!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Rolling Stones are not for me. At $6,000 Good Luck for them to find anyone to go but the superstars n' stuff.

I try like hell to keep things all fluffy bunnies and pink daisies. But brutal truth smacks me in the ass all the time.
    ~Susie Q 2009

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    says Jonny Podell, Van Halen's agent.
    Somebody call this guy and ask him what the fuck is wrong with Ed????

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    I saw them in Boulder, CO in fall of 1982, with Heart & George Thorogood opening. First night sold out, so I got a ticket for the second night.

George Thorogood kicked everyone's ass. Heart was kinda lame that day, the Stones were VERY lame.

Saw them again early October 1989 in Kansas City with Living Colour opening. LC was great, and the Stones came out and kicked my ass.

I do not need to see them again. They were here in Gnashville a couple of years ago and I did not go. I did get a bootleg of the show though....nothing different.

They are just an extremely low-voltage version of AC/DC.

That said, I would like to see them rock until they are in their 80s and dead, and their kids just have their corpses wheeled out onstage and moved around by remote control while somebody plays a live cd over the PA system.....it would give new meaning to the term "Death Rock"...

Thread Information