• Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Ravens Aquire Terrell Owens

Ravens acquire receiver Terrell Owens

March 4, 2004

BALTIMORE (AP) -- Four-time Pro Bowl receiver Terrell Owens was traded to the Baltimore Ravens by San Francisco on Thursday after a paperwork error prevented him from becoming a free agent.

Owens, who had quarreled with coaches, teammates and opponents during the last few seasons, had been given permission to seek a deal after his agent failed to file a document voiding the final years of his contract.

He gives Baltimore the top receiver it has been lacking for years, even in 2000, when it won the Super Bowl.

The Ravens scheduled a news conference for later in the afternoon.

The Ravens gave up their 2nd round selection, the 51st pick overall.
    Last edited by ALinChainz; 03-04-2004, 04:55 PM.
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

The Eagles were the other team in the running for him, but would not part with their first round pick.

Comment

• Bob_R
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Oh good now he and Ray Lewis can do drugs together.
      Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

• Troy
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Jan 2004

Two things:

How does the NFL salary cap work? How can you trade for a draft pick? I take it, it's not like the NBA where the numbers have to add up.

And who's going to throw to T.O.? Wright, Redman, & Boller don't seem to be that great.

I think TO's numbers will drop even more this season.

Comment

• ALinChainz
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

As long as they can fit T.O. under their cap, Baltimore can make the deal. They are like $20 million under so no problem there and with Owens' screw up on voiding the last 3 years, he will be scheduled to make $5.6, something like that. Baltimore has the room to redo his deal if they want. They may want him to play under his current deal to see how things will work out.

Boller is their guy, no question. he got hurt last year and they got on a roll with Wright. They may bring Wright back, but as the #2 guy.

Comment

• Little Texan
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

They traded T.O., their best reciever and best player, for a second round draft pick? Who was the genius in the SF front office behind this deal? I would have at least demanded a first round pick and a player for him. What a stupid trade from a SF standpoint, and a sweet deal for Baltimore.

Comment

• ALinChainz
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

On the surface, it sure looks like a steal for the Ravens. I guess it depends on what Owens you get. If the guy would just shut up and play.

There aren't many teams that will give up a 1st rounder for anything. Especially in this years draft, where there are a boat load of receivers, and good ones in the draft. That had to be part of it. Even Philly, who needs receivers REAL BAD, wouldn't give up a #1, and they had more money under the cap than Baltimore, before signing Kearse.

Comment

• Troy
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

Seriously though... Is Boller going to be that much better w/ TO??? I mean the guy had a couple games where he passed for 90 yards. TO will not be up for that. If he had a problem with Garcia, he's going to hate Boller.

Which boggles my mind because wasn't Billick the game guy who ran the '98 Vikings offense with Cunningham, Moss, Carter, & Reed?

I don't care what anybody says, the Ravens need a quality QB. They better give Bulger a call!

Comment

• ALinChainz
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

As a rookie. Now that he has started and played some, he'll have this entire off-season to work with the offense, mini camp, etc.

They will still have a stout running game though so, he won't be Marino, but in my opinion, he should be at least noticably improved. He hasn't had especially good receivers besides Heap to throw to either. Marcus Robinson had one giant game, and 2 decent ones out of the whole season and Taylor has never stepped up.

They did make the playoffs, so we'll see.
                  Last edited by ALinChainz; 03-04-2004, 06:44 PM.

Comment

• Troy
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Nothing's ever a guarantee. Like they say, that's why they play the games. Big thing will be to keep Lewis out of the clink.

Comment

• Troy
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2004

I already miss football. I'm actually looking forward to seeing a few NFL Europe games.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

You know it. That should be next month I think. It isn't for everyone, but I watch.

I also catch any USFL games they put on ESPN Classic too. That's some good stuff, old school players.

Comment

• Mama's Fool
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Jan 2004

Him and Marcus should be a good combe. Provided Jamal can play, Boller should be fine. He's got one hell of an arm. Needs to get the attitude in check.

Comment

• DLR7884
                              ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

TO playing for the Ravens just is another reason why I can hate them even more.

I hate those dope snorting, murdering thugs.

DLR7884
                              Innocent my ass.
                              Originally Posted by WARF:
                              DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

Working...