Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Union chief Hunter: lockout a "death knell" for NBA

June 15, 2005

By Chris Bernucca

SportsTicker Pro Basketball Editor

TROY, Michigan (Ticker) - NBA Players Association executive director Billy Hunter and Commissioner David Stern have had problems reaching an accord on a new collective bargaining agreement.

However, they do agree on one thing: A lockout would have significant repercussions.

With 15 days before the current agreement expires, Hunter met with about 40 members of the media in a hotel restaurant, where he refused to disclose specific issues that separate the sides but offered to re-open bargaining sessions to avoid another work stoppage.

"I think it would be a protracted lockout," Hunter said. "I think it would be a death knell for the NBA."

Hunter was responding to Stern's "State of the Game" address prior to Game Two of the NBA Finals in San Antonio at which he said, "If July 1 comes and there is a lockout, the union will have made a mistake of epic proportions."

In the event of a lockout, Stern threatened to take the NBA's last offer - which includes a guarantee of at least 57 percent of the annual $3 billion in basketball-related income (BRI) for the players - off the table.

That deal also calls for an age limit of 19, a comprehensive year-round drug testing plan and the shortening of the maximum length of contracts to six years.

Hunter, who had been attending meetings in Chicago and New York the last two days, believes those would represent further concessions on the part of the union, which agreed to a cap on individual salaries and a rookie salary scale in the deal struck to end the last lockout in 1999.

"From my perspective, it doesn't make much sense," Hunter said. "I'm only left with the conclusion that it's a grab on the part of the (NBA) owners."

The current CBA has an age limit of 18, a drug-testing program whose effectiveness was questioned by Congress last month and contracts with a maximum length of seven years.

Last year, Hunter and Stern shared the dais at All-Star Weekend to show a shared commitment to avoiding a work stoppage. They agreed to not discuss negotiation points in the media, an agreement that ended Sunday when Stern detailed some of the issues where the sides differ.

Although pressed for details, Hunter would not capitulate and refused to discuss bargaining points. He also indicated was not upset with the commissioner's discussion of the issues.

"I think it probably helped the process," he said.

Last month, the NBA broke off negotiations, claiming that the union reneged on an agreement to the framework of a deal including many of the above points. No meetings are scheduled, although that may change.

"I'm going to call David one more time between now and June 30," Hunter said. "He's indicated that he's willing to talk."

The NBA's last lockout began seven years ago and was a disastrous one. It lasted over six months, forced the cancellation of regular-season games for the first time in league history and created drastic drop-offs in TV ratings, fan interest and revenue.

Hunter would like to reach a new long-term accord with the NBA but also said he is willing to extend the current deal for one year to buy some time at the table while avoiding more labor strife.

"We don't want a lockout," he said. "I've been down that road before."

During the last lockout, there was a public perception that NBA players - who at an average annual salary of $4.4 million are the highest-paid athletes in the world - were greedy and immature.

Hunter countered that notion by pointing out that franchises such as the Cleveland Cavaliers have sold for upwards of nearly $400 million. He also cautioned that team owners would also bear the brunt of another lockout.

"I think that door swings both ways," Hunter said. "I think it's a tragic mistake for the owners as well."

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It would be the end...or the end of the NBA as it is now...perhaps it would be a good thing...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just like Selig ... Stern does not want a second work stoppage on his resume.

If there is, both he and Hunter should get canned.

SHEEP PEN-JUNKHEAD
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You figure these knuckleheads would look at the NHL and say to themselves, "how can we avoid THAT?"

DLR7884
    Idiots.
    Originally Posted by WARF:
    DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You know...it's funny...

minus football...there really AREN'T any major sports anymore...although baseball...for the most part...hold a place in a lot of people's hearts...but that only translates into a couple of games a year for most people...

these fuckers need to all be fired...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The NBA has been so "Star Starved" in my opinion since Jordan left that I believe that alot of the offciating and media spoon feed the so called "chosen ones" to where the balance of integrity could be questioned, meaning how fouls are called, etc.

If that makes any sense.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dude...it's all about the fucking money...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Like Ewing said during the last stoppage when asked about why the players needed more.

"We spend more."

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just makes you shake your head...

I think about kids 20 years ago...me and most of all you...

I loved them all...basketball...football...baseball...hockey... loved them all...so did my dad...and his generation...he whined a little about the money...but remember...we really hadn't gotten to the million dollar a year contracts yet...

So I ask you...what's jaded not only my generation...but our parents generation?

the money...

and you know what...it is that simple...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I got a spare deadbolt if they need one...
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    NBA, union agree on terms of new collective bargaining agreement

June 21, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) -- NBA owners and players agreed to a new collective bargaining agreement Tuesday, averting the possibility of a lockout.

The league called a news conference in San Antonio prior to Game 6 of the NBA Finals, with commissioner David Stern and union director Billy Hunter announcing their agreement.

The deal came on the fourth consecutive day of talks between the sides. The league's old seven-year agreement is due to expire on June 30.

Details of the new six-year agreement were not immediately disclosed, but the sides had been trying to reach compromises on several key issues. Among them were the owners' desire to raise the minimum age for draft eligibility to 19, reduce the maximum length of long-term contracts from seven years to six, and reduce the size of annual salary increases in those long-term contracts.

Among the main items the players were seeking was a reduction in the so-called escrow tax under which 10 percent of their salaries are withheld if the amount of revenues devoted to players salaries exceeds a specified percentage.

Owners had already offered to raise the salary cap from slightly more than 48 percent of revenues to 51 percent, thereby increasing the amount of money each team can spend on player salaries.

The NBA has a system known as a ``soft'' salary cap, allowing teams to exceed the cap threshold to retain their own free agents, and to sign free agents under the so-called midlevel exception that was added to the labor agreement in 1999 after the sides went through a 7 1/2 -month lockout.

Another lockout could have begun July 1.

The agreement will still need to be ratified by the league's Board of Governors and by the members of the players' union at their annual meeting in Las Vegas next week.

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Even though I am not a huge basketball fan, the NBA & NFL are the 2 of the best run and organized sports

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Aw dammit, I was hoping that hockey would have a buddy...

Hockey will have a deal in a couple of weeks....

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Stern did not want another work stoppage under his watch.

And it seems like the owners got the better end of this deal.

Be interesting to see how this works with hockey.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There's no doubt that the owners are going to win out with the NHLPA...

There will be major salary cap, the question is just how bad will it be for the players....

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Jagr was just saying how the gamble didn't work for them and it was a waste of time ... they weren't going to accept any form of cap.

Yet, here we are.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Look...I've got to be honest with you here...

the NHL and the NBA are two totally different boats...

the NBA makes money...most everyone in the league does...maybe every team in the league...

the NHL...well...doesn't...

Thread Information