Page 10 of 79 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232460 ... LastLast

Thread: THE PITTSBURGH Sports CHATTER

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Roethlisberger questionable for Sunday's regular-season finale.

December 28, 2004
    PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Ben Roethlisberger's ribs are only bruised and Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher listed the rookie quarterback as questionable for Sunday's regular-season finale at Buffalo.

The game is meaningless for the Steelers, who have clinched home-field advantage for the playoffs in the AFC. The Bills are fighting for a wild-card playoff berth.

``The last thing you can do when you go into any football game is to diminish the importance of it,'' Cowher said. ``Certainly you're going to keep the big picture in mind, but we're going to prepare this week as we always have, to go up there and win this football game.''

The Steelers are riding a franchise-record 13-game win streak, while the Bills are riding a six-game win streak that has put them in position to earn a playoff berth after an 0-4 start. The Bills need to beat the Steelers and have either the New York Jets or Denver Broncos lose in order to clinch a spot in the playoffs.

Cowher said his plans for the game would not change even if another playoff berth were not dependent on the outcome.

``This is not about what we owe anybody. It's what we owe ourselves. This is how you play the game,'' he said. ``We've got to play the game the way we know how to play the game. Those aren't things you can turn on and off, and if you think you can turn it on and off you're going to be mistaken and be led down a road that's going to be very disappointing.''

Roethlisberger was hurt Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens when he was driven into the turf by Terrell Suggs during a third-quarter touchdown pass to Jerame Tuman. Roethlisberger returned for three plays on the next series before leaving the field for good.

Roethlisberger was taken to the hospital as a precaution and an MRI revealed he suffered bruised cartilage in his ribs. Although Roethlisberger is listed as questionable, Cowher said adding a quarterback to the roster is ``a distinct possibility.''

Cornerback Deshea Townsend has been ruled out of the Buffalo game with broken bones in his hand. Cowher said Townsend should be questionable for the first playoff game.

Sunday, Townsend will be replaced at right cornerback by Chad Scott, who was the starting left cornerback before injuring a quadriceps muscle Oct. 17 against the Dallas Cowboys. Willie Williams will remain at left cornerback.

Listed as doubtful for Sunday's game are Jerome Bettis, with a sprained ankle, and left outside linebacker Clark Haggans, who could miss his third consecutive game with a groin injury.

Running back Duce Staley (hamstring) and inside linebacker Kendrell Bell (groin) are questionable.

Cowher hopes Staley can start at running back and allow Bettis to rest, even though Bettis is only 59 yards shy of what would be his ninth 1,000-yard season.

``I'm not looking at records or looking to appease any of that,'' Cowher said. ``We've got to do what's in the best interests of this football team as we prepare our quest for what everybody wants, and that's a championship. I don't think you can deviate from that just to serve the individual purposes of players.''

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just got back tonight from PA....

Got the chance to attend Sunday's game vs. the Ravens with my 11 yr. old son, the first time we've had the chance to visit Heinz Field....

What a FANTASTIC atmosphere !!!! We had a great time....

Got down there about 11AM, drove around a few blocks to find a place to park that wasn't reserved... Ended up going to a parking garage about 8 blocks from the stadiums (PNC Park is right next door)....

And BTW, 20 clams to park.....

Then we walked around the few blocks between PNC Park and Heinz Field, checking out all of the tailgating.... Hundreds of barbeques all over the place....

Since we didn't have tickets in hand, I also was gauging what kind of price the scalpers were offering.... I talked to probably 30 different guys, most of them were offering between 175 and 200 clams a ticket....

I waited until about 12:30, and decided to bargain with this guy at PNC Park... Got him down to 150 each for endzone seats, 6th row from the field !!!!

Yeah, 3 bills is steep, but what the hell, I don't get this chance very often....

So it was time to head down to Heinz Field, grab a Terrible Towel for my son, and try to get in the gates....

Got to the gate at 12:35 or so, and there had to be about 1000 people crowding to get in the gate at the same time... The line was incredibly slow, so slow that by 12:50 we hadn't moved very much.... By this time, the player intro's had started.... The crowd was rocking, introducing the Bus, Plaxico, and the biggest one for Big Ben.... That made everyone trying to get in really pissed off.... I guess the ticket takers got the hint, 'cause we started moving much faster then... We finally got in around 1PM.....

By the time we took a leak, grabbed some peanuts, soda, and beer, and headed to our seats, Plaxico had already scored for the Steelers, although I saw it on the TV's in the concourse and of course heard the roar from the crowd....

Finally got to our seats, great seats they were, as I said, 6th row from the field.....

I never realized just how loud that crowd was until the Ravens got the ball.... I can see now how these teams have to call timeouts... My ears would temporarily be ringing it was so loud.....

Halftime came, and then I witnessed the only disappointing thing about our visit.... I really thought after 30 years of experience at 3 Rivers, they'd construct Heinz Field with adequate facilities.... But, as we headed to the restroom for a leak, calling it an overflow crowd would be a compliment.... Just ridiculous.....

Then by the time we get out of there, we try to get in line for a snack and a drink, and the 3rd quarter is ready to start !!! So we skip that and head back to the seats....

We watch Ben throw the TD pass to Tuman, and the subsequent late hit by Suggs.... I don't think it was a dirty hit, but definitely late.... Then the crowd moans as Ben is helped off of the field.... The crowd, to put it nicely, is offering a few choice words for the Ravens now....

As the 4th quarter is ready to begin, during the TV timeout, the huge scoreboard directly in front of us starts playing the Styx song "Renegade" (Oh mama, I'm in fear for my life.......).... They're showing video of Kyle Boller being driven to the ground in previous Steeler games, and that REALLY winds up the crowd.... I watch the Ravens bench for about 30 seconds, they're watching the video and then the crowd, standing, twirling their Towels, and roaring.....

One of the biggest cheers is when the Bus goes off left tackle, lowers his shoulder, and just bowls over Ray Lewis...... They replayed that one 3 times alone....

The remainder of the game really is just the Steelers running at will, running the clock out....

The game ends, the announcer states the obvious, the Steelers are undefeated at home, and they've clinched home-field advantage.....

I grab a nice textured Steelers football for my son as a souvenir, and we head back to the car, accompanied by thousands of quite drunken Steeler fans.....

I got a digital camera for Xmas, so I took about 15 shots or so.... I haven't downloaded the software yet though....

WELL WORTH THE TRIP......

Poj, we must do this my friend.....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I also watched Cowher's press conference today, with commentary as well..... That's in addition to listening to Pittsburgh sports talk radio on the ride back down here...

Ben will NOT play Sunday.... They're just making him questionable to give the appearance that he COULD play... Trust me, he won't be near the field....

On the bright side though, they're saying that Ben is gonna be fine.... Matter of fact, they were having a hard time actually deciding what to call his injury.... They decided on bruised rib cartilidge, or in other words, sore ribs....

Same case for Bettis, no chance....

Duce WILL be playing... They worked him out this morning indoors to test it out again... He seems ready to go.... He needs to get the rust out, he tried vs. the Jags and wasn't very effective....

Although Cowher gave the typical speech about going to Buffalo to win the game, I don't see it happening... Buffalo has much more to gain, they'll win this game....
    Last edited by Va Beach VH Fan; 12-28-2004 at 08:56 PM.

ROTHITE BARBARICUS ELITE
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Steelers to the big dance in 2005? id take it..im off the 16th 23rd &
    5th for all big games. I cannot wait. nice post Va, lol goodtimes
    nowadays are hard to come by.

EUAS

ROTHITE BARBARICUS ELITE
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    BTW sam adams winter lager is GOOD!!

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You really don't think Jerome will be going for 1000 yards with him being so close?...and he's close....59 yards I think...

of course...a SuperBowl is much more important than that....

Glad you had a good time Va...next year...Browns at Steelers....

I'm also pretty sure I'm getting tix for the Steelers at Browns for next season as well...My dad still has Browns season tickets...and I've taken off 5 years of attending...perhaps next year I claim them...lmfao...

300 isn't bad at all...considering what you were looking at beforehand for much worse tickets...

Have you ever been anywhere 50,000 related where they were filled to capacity and didn't have a line?

It could be done...but you know when they start overruns...the first thing that gets cut...lmao...bathrooms...

I'd bench everyone to be honest...why risk it...

2 weeks off would be HUGE for the starters...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The bus acknowledges the crowd after going into 4th place all-time....
    Last edited by Va Beach VH Fan; 12-29-2004 at 07:26 PM.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Is there a picture there?...lmfao...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Shit, I knew this thing would give me problems.... One more time, The Bus....

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Joey Porter pumps up the crowd....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dude...your seats sucked...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm sorry, any closer and I could have tackled Jamal Lewis myself....

What the fuck, everyone else was....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You say that as though I didn't want Lewis to get tackled...lmfao...

don't confuse "fantasy" for real life you bastard...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ben threw a little yesterday, saying the ribs are still sore, but getting better....

Tommy has already been named the starter, no surprise there....

Duce is still saying he doesn't have the acceleration... Fucking hamstrings...

I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of Verron and Willie Parker.....

The Bills are 9 point favorites....

Meaningless or not, that's a lot of points to give to a 14-1 underdog....

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    9 points????? Wow. I might have to call my bookie...

...What's the over-under on Magahe's yards??
    Yo Yo Yo

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dunno, but the Steelers are well known to give up chunks of yardage to good backs when they're playing (or playing down) a meaningless game....

I bet he gets close to 100 yards, if not more....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I wouldn't touch McGahee's yardage this week...

I think you'll see the entire defensive unit come out quickly...

remember this...if Buffalo is winning that game...Pittsburgh will do nicely not to show them much...knowing they could be playing them again in two weeks...

This game has interesting written all over it...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Cowher has a good eye for RB talent...that fits his system...

Parker and Haynes are very good...

It will be interesting to see how much Haynes makes if he leaves...or stays as the backup to Staley next year (assuming the Bus retires after the Su....nevermind)....

but I'd like to see in a couple of years...Parker and Haynes as the new tandem...I like them both...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    As much as I'd like to see them finish 15-1, I don't see it happening....

You brought up a good point though, their gameplan is gonna be very vanilla, because of the chance of a rematch, AND because Mularkey knows their offense already....

I also think the Bus might reconsider that retirement statement, even if they "you know what"....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't know Va...he's all but auditioned for a seat at the CBS desk...and you can actually understand him...unlike Sharpe...that fucking moron...

if they dance...he'll call it a night at midnight...

who knows though...there is definitely gas left in the tank...

Mularkey is really fucking up for this game as well...

he said he "circled it the day the schedules came out..."

maybe it's not gonna be such a Buffalo gimme as we thought...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hey ...

Do you guys mean ....

Pittsburgh ... in THE SUPER BOWL!

Say it .. it won't jinx it.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    YOU can say it...

we can't...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nice try Al....

Bastard.....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Lions are going to the SuperBowl in 2006!!!!!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

In Case You Were Wondering What Other Papers Write About the Steelers

COMMENTARY
    Steelers won't shift to cruise control
    By LARRY FELSER

1/2/2005

I'll take Bill Cowher at his word. He may not be the most lovable coach in the NFL, but you can count on him to play to win.
    The most common reaction to the above observation would be, "Doesn't every coach?"

Well, not all the time. Take Andy Reid and his Philadelphia Eagles, who played the St. Louis Rams on Monday night. The Eagles, who already clinched the home-field advantage for the playoffs, have lost their super receiver, Terrell Owens, and dependable running back Brian Westbrook. Like most NFL teams at this time of the year, the Eagles are bruised and battered.

So Reid played the game as if it were the first exhibition of the summer of '05. Starting quarterback Donovan McNabb played one series. Zip, zip, zip, touchdown, the rest of the night off.

Except this wasn't an exhibition game, or even an end-of-the-season meaningless game. The Rams are in the playoff race because they play in the bedraggled NFC. The rest of the game was a gift card from the Eagles, ceding the victory to the Rams and keeping them alive for a playoff spot if they can beat the Jets in St. Louis today.

No rebate was offered to the customers who paid full price for their tickets, expecting to see a legitimate game.

Which brings us to the Bills game today against the Steelers in Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Who in Western New York doesn't have great admiration for the way the Bills picked themselves up off the canvas after that near-TKO, 0-4 start? Who doesn't want to see them in the playoffs?

For anyone who has given it some thought, as satisfying as a victory would be, it would be far less satisfying if it came with a gift card from the Steelers, who haven't lost since Week Two.

Obviously, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, the rookie phenom, can't be used. He's hurt. Resting Jerome Bettis makes sense, too, since the Bus has been used far more than planned and performed as if he had his motor rebuilt and a super-charger added.

But there is no mandate from the league that says there should be no resting for rest's sake.

That's what I like about the way major league baseball handles the last month of its season. Each year at that time the commissioner issues a stern reminder that the integrity of the game demands that when playing a postseason contender, the best possible lineup shall be fielded and playing to win is the only object.

What about the integrity of the NFL? The unwritten rule seems to be: If you have nothing at stake, pretend it's August.

I didn't like it when Marv Levy did it, either. In 1991 the Bills had clinched home-field advantage before their final regular-season game against Detroit in Orchard Park. The Lions were locked in a fight with the Chicago Bears for the right to play on in the postseason. The Bills won eight of their previous nine games so Marv rested a lot of his regulars. The Lions, overmatched under ordinary circumstances, won in overtime.

The Bills didn't owe a thing to the Bears. They owed a lot to the integrity of the NFL. I don't think that one of the perks of a great season is putting it into cruise control in a game that is important to one of the combatants.

I doubt the Steelers will do that. Their franchise has been the Rooney family's from the start. Integrity came with the family coat of arms.

Larry Felser, former News columnist,
    appears in Sunday's editions.

The Buffalo News

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That all may be true, but now Burress are listed as inactive as well....

I'd love to see them finish 15-1, but I see them mailing this one in....

guwapo_rocker
    The Bills are on a roll, would be nice to see a good game.
    Even if the Steelers were healthy, I think the Bills would
    have played them tough today, they are playing really well.

I am surprised by the play of bledsoe lately, usually he sucks.

guwapo_rocker
    Shit Buffalo fumble already!!!

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    With Bledsoe...it isn't about talent...I think it's about caring for him...

he realized his job was on the line...they brought Losman in one game...and bledsoe was a different player after that...

I still think Pittsburgh will give it a run today...we'll see though...

Not happy with No Chin being in there...

guwapo_rocker
    Sacked.....shit.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Willis McGahee. Any questions?

McGahee

guwapo_rocker
    Touchdown!

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What's the deal with the Steeler game...I'm actually away from the TV right now...

7-0 Buffalo?

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hey Daddy...what's that qb Pittsburgh took in the first round...

Roethisomethin'...

Good pick Cowhah....

lmfao...

guwapo_rocker
    10 - 7 Pit.

guwapo_rocker
    Bledsoe picked off own 25.

Snoo
    Have fun trying to find a brain-damaged GM to give you the big money deal you think you deserve, Kendrell.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    How has PBurgh scored?

And McGahee has had a great year...but what's his YPC?

I don't think he's better than Henry when Henry is healthy...

although next year...when McGahee's knee is really 100%...we may get to see a great...great season...

guwapo_rocker
    Steelers first down on Bills 7.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Kendrell won't be getting shit...after missing 98% of the year...

Thread Information