Page 17 of 79 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303167 ... LastLast

Thread: THE PITTSBURGH Sports CHATTER

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    At this point...I don't give a shit...what they need to do is get a good player...You've sold me on Matt Jones...but SI did an even better job...

4.37 40...

Not a good passer..."not good enough for the NFL...but has the ability to get the ball where it needs to go..."

Gil Brandt, "I've been preparing drafts since the late '50's, and there hasn't been a player this big this fast..."

Only 7 were timed below 4.40 of the 130 at the combine....

"I think he'll be another TO..." says Chris Palmer

"I think he'd be an incredible safety..." says Mike Martz...

"He's a Slash guy, a qb/receiver like Kordell Stewart was," says John Fox..."If someone had big brass ones, they'd suit him up as the second quarterback, give him his own package as a receiver and make him a core special teams player. Let's say you used him as the personal protector on the punt team, the up man. The defense would have no idea how to defend him. I think he'd make so many plays, but not as a single position."

"I thought at the Senior Bowl he looked like an H-Back, or maybe a red-zone wide receiver because of his height," says Charley Casserly

"I could see him as a situational running back, a quarterback and a receiver," says Steelers Offensive Coordinator Ken Whisenhunt. "With Matt, you'll only be limited by how creative you can be."

Jacksonville worked him out as a punt returner.

Cincinnati and Detroit tried him out at Tight End.

Philadelphia watched him work as a QB, TE, slot receiver and split wide.

He ran for 10 yards or more 88 time...

Okay...after reading this article...I wouldn't mind him...I'll bet you anything...he goes before Pittsburgh's pick....Maybe Atlanta at 27?
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by POJO_Risin
    "I could see him as a situational running back, a quarterback and a receiver," says Steelers Offensive Coordinator Ken Whisenhunt. "With Matt, you'll only be limited by how creative you can be."
    Could be...

But today's papers are all talking about Heath Miller again...

But MAYBE they're talking up Miller to throw a smoke screen to really focus on Jones...

Like I said again, WHO THE FUCK KNOWS....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well...and filling Oliver Ross' position seems to be taking center stage...

I'm hearing Khalif Barnes may still be there...if he's gone...Marcus Johnson...

I have heard chatter that Pittsburgh may be trying to trade up in the second round...but might not have the ammo to do it...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fucking Philly has a boner for this guy...they are trying to deal up with Jacksonville to get this pick...

and Pittsburgh would be stuck with fucking Miller...and his fucking Sports Hernia...

fuck Miller...a wasted pick...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    and I'm seeing a lot of Marcus Johnson talk as well...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Some predictions on how the Steelers will use their first-round pick today:

Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN: Heath Miller, TE Virginia

Peter King, Sports Illustrated: Marcus Johnson, T, Mississippi

ESPN.com: Heath Miller, TE, Virginia

Paul Zimmerman, Sports Illustrated: Marcus Johnson, T, Mississippi

Sporting News: Elton Brown, G, Virginia

USA Today: Marcus Johnson, T, Mississippi

Don Banks, Sports Illustrated: Khalif Barnes, T, Washington

NFL.com: Matt Jones, WR-TE, Arkansas

NFL Draftscout.com: Heath Miller, TE, Virginia

Vic Carucci, NFL.com: Matt Jones, WR-TE, Arkansas

Pat Kirwan, NFL.com: Marlin Jackson, CB, Michigan

Great Blue-North Draft Report: Jammal Brown, T, Oklahoma

Draftboardinsider.com: Matt Jones, WR-TE, Arkansas

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here's what they said about Miller...on foxsports...

CZAR'S FRONT OFFICE TAKE: This is great value at the 30th spot, considering he was the best tight end in the draft. He had his best games against Florida State and the U. of Miami, which means he can compete and run against the very best and quickest secondary players. Had the sports hernia surgery after his college season and hasn't been able to run or workout prior to the draft. Howie Long says Miller is a quality kid, a steal for the Steelers.
    DELUCIA'S SCOUTING TAKE: This is a tremendous value pick for the Steelers. Without the sports hernia, Miller would have been a top 10-15 pick and should be one of the top impact players to come out of this draft. Miller is a natural athlete with good size and movement skills to create big matchup problems in the passing game. Miller will make a similar impact like Todd Heap has in Baltimore. Ken Whisenhunt loves to use multiple TE sets in his offense and now has a dangerous option to build around. How Jets' GM Terry Bradway turns down the opportunity to draft Miller and trade for Doug Jolley is questionable. The Jets' ineptitude is the Steelers' treasure here.

Hmmmm....

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not a bad pick in Round 2 (although I wouldn't have gone CB), Bryant McFadden out of Free Shoes Univ....

But the round 3 pick has a lot of Steeler fans scratching their heads, Trai Essex, OG from Northwestern....

You read the writeup below, but then you read Russ Grimm's comments, where he basically says it's bullshit....

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/essex_trai

Need to know stuff below.....

Negatives: Needs to show better dedication to nutrition and conditioning … Came into the program as a tight end, but basically ate himself out of that position … Struggles to maintain position when weighing more that 315, as he lacks stamina late in games … Is a smart, yet lazy athlete with a soft upper body and fleshy midsection … Struggles with class work, mostly due to lack of effort … Will not do the little extras in the weight room or practices to improve … Lacks total effort and will disappear for stretches during the game … Lacks awareness on the field and when he is late off the snap, defenders can quickly knock him off the ball … Stands too erect and with a narrow base to get proper anchor … Simply lacks concentration and even though he knows his assignments, he will blow a few because of his laziness … Has a marginal burst off the snap and you really have to wonder if he is serious about football … Lacks the leg drive needed to clear lanes for the ground game … Will grab and maul, but is not the type to knock defenders off their feet … While he shows good arm extension, they collapse on impact too often, causing him to get pushed back into the quarterback … Lacks pop and explosion with his hands.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Who knows what they see in him...

I like the corner that they got in 2...seems to be a larger corner...we'll see if he has the speed to play the position...a lot of people were talking about him as a safety...which they don't need...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pittsburgh gets a great pick IMO in the fourth round in Fred Gibson...a big receiver...who has had injury issues...but not his senior year...after having a fantastic freshman year...

and was one of the Georgia players that sold their SEC championship rings...

but...they come from Pittsburgh's minor league system of Georgia...where the got Haynes and of course...Hines (who was in a similar situation when drafted)....

Here is some shit about Gibson...

OVERVIEW
    Gibson has been a steady performer for the Bulldogs, teaming with fellow receiver Reggie Brown and quarterback David Greene to stake Georgia to a 42-10 record from 2001-04 (sixth best in the country), three straight seasons of 10 or more wins, three straight bowl victories, and three consecutive national top six finishes. The talented athlete also played for Georgia's basketball team as a freshman.

Fred was thrust into action as a true freshman at Georgia. He started three games in 2001, ranking second on the team with 33 catches for 772 yards (23.4 average) and six touchdowns, setting a school season-record by producing five 100-yard receiving games. He also handled the bulk of kickoff return chores, gaining 375 yards on 14 attempts (26.8 average). He started eight games at flanker in 2002, coming up with 43 receptions for 758 yards (17.6 average) and four scores. Gibson also tallied 460 yards on 19 kickoff returns (24.2 average) and a touchdown. His 91-yard score was the longest kickoff return by a Bulldog since Lindsay Scott ran one back 99 yards vs. Louisiana State in 1978.

Hamstring and knee problems, along with off-field issues in 2003 would see Gibson's production suffer. He was one of nine students declared ineligible over the summer by the NCAA for selling their 2002 Southeastern Conference championship rings. NCAA regulations do not prohibit student-athletes from selling rings as long as they receive no more than fair-market value. The university worked to recover the rings and the players were required to make restitution for the money they received from the sale of their rings.

Gibson also missed the Louisiana State game with a pulled right hamstring and the Vanderbilt and Alabama-Birmingham contests with a bone bruise on his left knee. He finished the 2003 campaign with 36 catches for 553 yards (15.4 average) and three scores. Gibson came back in 2004 determined to upgrade his performance. He received first-team All-Southeastern Conference honors from the league's coaches, as he hauled in a career-high 49 passes for 801 yards (16.3 average) and seven touchdowns as a senior.

Gibson closed out his Georgia career with 34 starting assignments in 45 games. He made 161 catches for 2,884 yards (17.9 average) and 20 touchdowns. He joined Reggie Brown (2,008, 2001-04), Lindsay Scott (2,098, 1978-81), Brice Hunter (2,373, 1992-95) and Terrence Edwards (3,093, 1999-2002) as the only players in school history to gain over 2,000 yards receiving in a career. His 161 catches are topped only by Hunter (182) and Edwards (204) on the school's all-time record list.

Gibson also gained 866 yards on 35 kickoff returns (24.7 average), including a touchdown and carried the ball five times for 32 yards (6.4 average). His 35 returns rank sixth on the school's career-record list while his 866 yards rank fourth. Only Andre Hastings (1,096, 1990-92), Lindsay Scott (1152, 1978-81) and Gene Washington (1,637, 1973-76) gained more yards on kickoff returns in Georgia annals.

ANALYSIS
    Positives: Has long arms and legs with adequate muscle definition … While his weight room figures are only adequate, he does a decent job of using strength and quickness to defeat the jam … Shows the ability to stick his cuts and work back for the ball … Has very good body control and tracking ability, showing no problems catching the pigskin over his shoulder … Has some short area quickness to make the initial defender miss … Long strider with good quickness off the line of scrimmage, where he can gain and defeat a defensive back's cushion … Better on linear routes, where he can execute his speed cuts to separate and adjust to get into position down field … Has the leaping ability to get to the ball at its high point … Shows the natural hands to extend and pluck the ball away from the body's frame … Displays enough speed to take the shallow crossing route and go the distance.

Negatives: Has had a series of minor injuries that lead to questions about durability … His frame is built more like a sprinter's than a football player … Shows marginal academic intelligence and may struggle in a complicated system … His frame looks too lean to stand tall against press coverage at the next level … Needs to run crisper routes, as he does not always work back for the ball and will run his cuts on long patterns … Lacks courage and size to combat for the ball in traffic … Hears "footsteps" and will lose concentration, resulting in quite a few dropped passes … He is too conscious of the oncoming defender and this affects his play when working in tight quarters … Has elusive running skills, but is not considered a speedy runner, as he gathers to accelerate after the catch … Will not get much yardage after securing the ball, unless he has a free lane in front of him … He is such a marginal blocker that he has been benched in the past due to this issue.

INJURY REPORT
    2002: Sat out the Florida and Kentucky games after fracturing his left thumb vs. Vanderbilt (10/19) … Underwent surgery to repair the finger after the season.

2003: Sat out the Louisiana State game (9/20) with a right hamstring pull … Missed the Vanderbilt and Alabama-Birmingham games after he suffered a bone bruise in his left knee.

2004: Diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder in April, but is not taking any medication.

AGILITY
    :

From Combine: 4.55 in 40-yard dash. … 38 1/2 vertical leap. … 10'6" broad jump. … 4.14 shuttle. … 7.03 cone. … 19 Wonderlic.

He sounds an awful lot like Plaxico..."hears footsteps," "drops balls because of it," "outjumps corners..."

Maybe we lose nothing this year...with the addition of 2 threats...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pittsburgh went Linebacker in the fifth...and may have a find...went with a motor kind of kid...will need some work though...but we'll see him in special teams...and find out a year or 2 from now...if he's still on the team...if he's more than Jerry Olsavsky...

Here's his deal...

He redshirted in 2001 at Temple after suffering a knee injury in practice prior to the Pennsylvania Big 33 high school all-star game. In 2002, Rian led Big East freshmen with an average of 6.3 tackles per game, starting the final seven contests at weak-side linebacker to make 76 hits (51 solos) with a sack, 6.5 stops for losses, an interception and a forced fumble.

Wallace again lined up at weak-side linebacker and became the first Owl since Lance Johnstone (1991) to earn All-Big East Conference honors in his sophomore year. He totaled a career-high 148 tackles (sixth-best season total in school history), with 97 solos, a 9-yard sack, two fumble recoveries and 19.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage. 2004 was a down year for Rian, but he still earned All-Big East honors. In ten games on the weak-side, he posted 101 tackles (44 solos) with 5.5 stops for losses, an interception and two fumble recoveries. However, his final year was marred by a midseason fight with a teammate in practice that forced the coaching staff to suspend him for the Pittsburgh contest.

Wallace started 29 of 34 games he played in with the Owls. The cousin of former Temple linebacker/safety Chonn Lacy, Rian collected 325 tackles (192 solos) with two sacks for minus-11 yards, 31.5 stops for losses of 83 yards and five quarterback pressures. He also recovered five fumbles, caused two others, intercepted two passes and had nine pass deflections.

ANALYSIS
    Rian is a big, physical tackler with a relentless motor. He has the frame to carry additional bulk and is at the ideal position for his power, speed and hitting ability -- weak-side linebacker -- where he can roam the field and attack from a variety of angles. He shows good balance and lower leg strength to hold ground firmly at the point of attack. He is an aggressive tackler who delivers punishing hits on plays in front of him.

Wallace is a good knee bender with the body control and instincts to make plays around the trash. He can take on blockers with force and works well sideline to sideline. When he stays low in his pads and generates a good hand punch, he can clog the rush lanes, sift through bodies and give chase in the backfield. He has the ability to clear his feet and string the plays out wide.

He gets to the ball quickly when he has to deal with the tight end or lead blocker. But, when he gets high in his stance at the X's, he seems to short-arm and not use his hands effectively, resulting in Rian struggling to disengage. He compensates for a lack of good timed speed by taking proper angles to the ball and is best when allowed to pursue the plays from the backside rather than plug the inside gaps.

Wallace does not move easily through his pass drops and seems to lose sight of the ball in flight, especially when working in man coverage. He is best when making plays in pursuit. He is physical on contact and uses his arm swipes effectively to get through blocks and zero in on the ball. His marginal lateral agility is due to stiff hips, as he needs to gather himself before redirecting and accelerating to the ball.

His adequate body control and ball awareness skills make it a bit risky to use him in nickel and dime packages. He does not get good depth in his pass drops and is prone to reacting wrong on fakes and play action. Wallace displays a choppy backpedal and struggles through transition. He does not show suddenness when having to change direction and works better with plays in front of him, as he does not have the recovery speed to trail the pass play.

In 2003, he showed the ability to combat offensive linemen and squeeze the pocket, resulting in 19.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage. However, in 2004 he was more of a trailer type that spent more time in sideline pursuit rather than attacking from the edge, reducing those stops for losses to 5.5. He relies a lot on club and rip moves to gain line penetration, but has trouble redirecting when his initial move fails.

If he can generate the blitzing ability he showed in 2003, he will be a nice early second day draft find. His strength may be better suited for the strong-side outside linebacker position, but his problems escaping blocks in the open field could be hidden at an inside slot in a 3-4 defense. This is a year where there is no standout choice at inside linebacker, so it would not be surprising to see him be taken earlier than his grade indicates.

INJURY REPORT
    2001: Sat out the season after suffering a knee injury practicing for the Pennsylvania "Big 33" high school all-star game during the summer prior to fall drills.

2004: Left the Connecticut game (10/23) midway through the fourth quarter with an ankle sprain.

AGILITY
    4.72 in the 40-yard dash … 380-pound bench press … 525-pound squat … 320-pound power clean … 32-inch vertical jump … 32 5/8-inch arm length … 9 7/8-inch hands.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fred Gibson press conference transcript
    Sunday, April 24, 2005

The following is a transcript of Fred Gibson's press conference with the Pittsburgh news media today:

Q: A lot of the draft previews had you going in maybe the late first round or early second round. Are you a little disappointed that you didn't go until the 4th round?

GIBSON: Things didn't go like I wanted them to go. But like my grandma always says, 'Things happen for a reason.' Right now, I'm just happy and honored that Pittsburgh put me in a great situation. Hines Ward went to Georgia and I've got a whole lot of more Georgia players up there also. I'm happy. I just can't wait to get to Pittsburgh and play football."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Do you see yourself as possibly replacing Plaxico Burress?

GIBSON: I thought -- the whole time I had a feeling that Pittsburgh -- before the draft even happened, I had a feeling. I was like, 'I think Pittsburgh might pick me.' It happened. I didn't know where it was going to happen. But, you know what? I'm a happy man right now. I'm eager and I'm ready to play football in Pittsburgh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Was there any kind of competition between you and Reggie [Brown, drafted with pick #35 by Philadelphia] to see who was going to go first [in the draft]?

GIBSON: No, not really. Reggie wanted the best thing for him. I wanted the best thing [for me]. We wanted the best thing for each of us. Reggie went a little earlier, and I went second. It really does not matter. We are always going to be a family. We played together, and we're close friends. Like I said, things happen for a reason. I'm glad I went to Pittsburgh right now and Reggie went to Philadelphia. We're still going to be friends, no matter what.

Q: Who were some of the corners you played against where you thought you really distinguished yourself?

GIBSON: Playing in the SEC, I played against a whole lot of good corners. Corey Webster, Carlos Rogers, Justin Miller, Lito Sheppard, [who] plays for the Eagles, my freshman year. Dunta Robinson, who plays for Houston right now. I've played against a whole lot of quality guys that went in the first round. And I think I held up well against them. Like I said, I'm just happy. Right now, I can't even really speak. I'm just so happy that I got a chance to play somewhere and play football and do something that I really love. I just can't wait to get to Pittsburgh.

Q: Was this the wrong year to come out as a receiver because there are so many of you guys?

GIBSON: Not really. I did my four years at Georgia and it was time for me to go. Things happen.

Q: Will it bother you if people start comparing you to Plaxico?

GIBSON: Well, I dealt with stuff like that at Georgia. People are going to criticize you no matter what. As long as you know what you can do and what you can achieve, don't let people get to you. Fans are always going to have their -- that's why they are fans, they're always going to say what they want to say. And you can't control that.

Q: What about the comparisons to Plaxico, though?

GIBSON: Well, Plaxico is a tall receiver. I'm a tall receiver. It's really not. I don't see it. Like I said, I can't wait until I get to Pittsburgh. I'm going to play football. It's not about what Plaxico did at Pittsburgh. It's about Fred Gibson. It's not about Plaxico right now. Like I said, I'm going to play pretty well.

Q: When you were talking about getting criticized, what were people criticizing you about at Georgia?

GIBSON: I probably had a bad game or something. And, of course, people at Georgia, it's big-time football. Everybody wants to win every game. And I know if you lose one game at Georgia, everybody goes crazy. We lose one or two games, and for those one or two games, people get mad. They just criticize no matter what. Like I said, I never let things like that get to me. I'm a talented football player and I'm ready.

Q: Who is your agent?

GIBSON: Doug Hendrickson.

Q: Have you gotten more consistent as you've gotten older, do you think?

GIBSON: I think so. I really didn't play football until my 11th grade year in high school. I got an opportunity to go to college on a football scholarship. That's when football basically started for me.

Q: How much basketball did you play down there? How did that help you?

GIBSON: Basketball [helps] eye coordination, speed, quickness. It all helps, just being an athlete. It carries over to the football field [with] change of direction and getting the ball in the air, just making adjustments.

Q: How well do you know Hines [Ward]?

GIBSON: I know of Hines pretty well. I know I talked to Hines this whole entire process. This whole draft, I asked him and he told me no matter where you get drafted, it's all about what you do when you get there. Hines is a great player. He's one of the best receivers. He also played at Georgia. So I know he's going to look after me no matter what.

Q: He was a mid-round draft choice as well. Does that tell you that you don't have to be a #1 draft pick to have success?

GIBSON: Yeah, that's really true. You never know. It's based on talent (and) all that stuff. I think I played really well at Georgia and I produced at Georgia, had a great career at Georgia. Like he always said, it doesn't matter ho high (in the draft) you go. It's all about what you do when you get there. I'm just eager. I'm happy right now. And, I'm ready to go.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Is this a Patriots friendly chat? The draft can be overrated. If Big Ben becomes more experienced and learns to spread the ball around the field better he'll be a really good QB and the Steelers could win it all. Ben sunk them last year in the playoffs but I still think he's a good player in the making.
    Last edited by Betty Bush III; 04-24-2005 at 03:41 PM.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It can be a Patriot friendly chat I suppose...

Ben needs another year before the game becomes easy for him...he was struggling the second half of the year...

as far as Gibson's concerned...I saw some mocks with the Steelers taking him in the second round...

maybe even one here in the first round...

I thought he was rated higher than Brown...but who knows...a quality pick in my eyes...

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Steeler`s 6 round pick .....30 204 Pittsburgh Chris Kemoeatu G Utah

Gil Brandt's Analysis
    This is one of my top 100 players. He has got tremendous leg and lower-body strength. He's good for a zone-blocking team. I'm shocked that he was taken in the sixth round

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah...I saw that pick...a great pick...maybe better than their 3rd round pick...has size...I think 6'2" and 340...

will be a factor probably next year...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pittsburgh got a pick from Carolina...still checking out what they gave up to get it...and took a Defensive End from ByU...

Shaun Nua...still looking up some info on him...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    alright...the info is coming up from the bat phone as we speak...

Christ...ESPN doesn't even have anything on him...

going somewhere else...lmfao...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is all I could find on him...

he's 6'5" and 270...undersized for a DE...but perhaps they are looking to move him into a hybrid role like they did with so many others...

here's what ESPN is saying about him...

Steelers have had their eyes on the native of Pago Pago, American Samoa for quite some time.

Not much...but they traded up to get him...so maybe there's something there...

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They had an extra pick in the 7th round from a trade from last year...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Aaaah, the football powerhouse at Pago Pago....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not a great draft...not a bad draft...just gotta hope for the best...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    From the post-gazette...some interesting notes...they've also talked with Chad Brown...who appears to be going to Denver...but you never know...

Steelers help Roethlisberger by getting pass catchers
    Monday, April 25, 2005

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers did not fulfill Ben Roethlisberger's wishes when he asked them to keep receiver Plaxico Burress, but they listened. And in the past two days, they presented gifts to their young quarterback that he may like even more.

They followed up their choice of a big, pass consuming tight end with their first pick Saturday by drafting a tall, fast, athletic wide receiver with their top choice yesterday.

Big Ben got Big Money (tight end Heath Miller's nickname) Saturday and yesterday he got a big wide receiver when the Steelers drafted 6-foot-4 Fred Gibson of Georgia in the fourth round.

Gibson played split end at Georgia, where he was overshadowed by flanker Reggie Brown, Philadelphia's second-round draft pick. But Gibson has the potential to grow into something special, particularly if he can gain strength and add weight to a slight 202-pound frame.

"This guy has a big upside," said Bruce Arians, who coaches the Steelers' receivers. "He has height, jumping ability and the speed to go along."

Gibson played basketball at Georgia as a freshman before he concentrated on football. The comparisons to Burress, a 6-5 1/2 receiver who signed with the Giants this year as a free agent, come naturally.

"He is a couple inches shorter," Arians said. "Probably a little faster [4.47 in the 40]. He is the same style player at outside receiver. He gives us the height that we lost, hopefully, and makes plays in the red zone with his height and jumping ability."

Counting the two new receivers, the Steelers drafted four of their first six picks on offense, including two linemen they hope can help protect Roethlisberger. Surely Roethlisberger had to like this draft.

"I really don't care," Steelers coach Bill Cowher said. "The bottom line is, I think we helped our football team."

The Steelers turned to defense with their fifth-round choice, drafting junior Rian Wallace of Temple with the 166th pick. Wallace played inside linebacker for the Owls and was all-Big East in 2004. Some NFL teams project Wallace as an outside linebacker, but the Steelers will try him on the inside.

In the sixth round, the Steelers drafted 6-3 1/2, 344-pound guard Chris Kemoeatu of Utah.

Wallace, Gibson and Kemoeatu each had mild transgressions in college. Wallace was suspended for Temple's game against Pitt last season for scuffling with a teammate in the locker room. Gibson -- along with Brown and other teammates -- allegedly sold his SEC championship ring. The sales embarrassed the university, but the NCAA cleared the players of any wrongdoing.

Kemoeatu was suspended twice in 2003 for kicking opponents, and has a temperament Steelers line coach Russ Grimm termed "aggressive."

"That mean streak I got, I think I've overcome that problem of mine," Kemoeatu said.

The Steelers were involved in an intra-team fight in their locker room in minicamp in 2000 with linebacker Earl Holmes at the center of it. As for selling championship rings, the Steelers would love to give Gibson a second chance at selling one next year. And Hall of Famer Joe Greene did more than kick a few opponents in his day, even punching one in the stomach in a playoff game in 1977.

Kemoeatu is Tongan; the Steelers' first pick in the seventh round, defensive end Shaun Nua of BYU, is Samoan through Pago Pago. They banged against each other when Utah played BYU.

"He is a dirty player, I'll say that, but not when I went against him," Nua said with a chuckle. "But he is a tough guy, though, I'll tell you that. That was a good pick, too. You came to the right place, man."

The Steelers drafted running back Noah Herron of Northwestern, a 5-11, 224-pounder, with their final choice. Herron was all-Big Ten last season after rushing for 1,381 yards, 14 touchdowns and a 5.0 average per carry. He also caught 36 passes last season. The Steelers want to see if he can play halfback and fullback.

Some analysts thought Gibson might go in the second round, and the Steelers had a second-round grade on him. They've had success with receivers drafted after the first round through the years. Their best of all came when they drafted John Stallworth in the fourth round in 1974. More recently they drafted Antwaan Randle El in the second round in 2003 and Hines Ward in the third round in 1998 from Georgia.

"He also played at Georgia, so I know he's going to look after me no matter what," Gibson said.

Gibson will get a shot as a rookie, but he'll have to go through Randle El and Cedrick Wilson, the team's only outside signing in free agency, at split end. Randle El and Wilson also will compete for the position in the slot.

"If they are going to double-team Hines or Antwaan, you have to have some kind of mismatch outside," Arians said. "I think he will give us that."

Said Cowher, "He's a tall guy who can run fast, a very good route runner."

Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations, said it was one of the team's best drafts in terms of targeting players they wanted in certain areas of the draft and getting those players.

"Things really broke very well for us. All the players we wanted really fell into place ... we didn't reach," he said.

NOTES -- The Steelers began signing undrafted rookies after the draft and hoped to land 11 or 12, with a higher concentration at linebacker than other positions. They also may sign a rookie quarterback. Veteran QB Charlie Batch, who has been with them three years, is a free agent Colbert says is "an option." ... Colbert also said "there's been communication" with former Steelers LB Chad Brown, released by Seattle the past week. However, Brown turned down a $1 million annual offer to remain with the Seahawks and appears headed to Denver.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sportsline's Steeler draft rankings...

Pittsburgh Steelers
    Best pick: Second-round pick Bryant McFadden will be a starter at some point this year. He is a talented cover player who will be perfect for the Steelers defense.

Questionable move: Once again, it's tough to find a questionable move by a good-drafting team. Some may think taking Heath Miller in the first is risky with him coming off a hernia injury, but he's a player.

Steal: Fred Gibson was considered a potential first-round pick a couple of years ago. Getting him in the fourth round is a nice move for the Steelers.

Overall grade: B. They had a solid, uneventful draft. That's what the Steelers do. They know how to find players.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I agree with your grade....I think Chris Kemoeatu could be a steal in the 6th round.... Time will tell with these draft picks you never know.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Steelers | Batch an Option - from www.KFFL.com
    Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:14:20 -0700

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers say free agent QB Charlie Batch is a potential option to re-sign.

Steelers | Contact C. Brown - from www.KFFL.com
    Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:13:46 -0700

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have been in communication with free agent LB Chad Brown (Seahawks).

Steelers | Gibson to Compete at Split End - from www.KFFL.com
    Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:13:17 -0700

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers will have 2005 fourth-round draft choice WR Fred Gibson compete at the split end receiver position this year.

Steelers | To Try Herron as RB, FB - from www.KFFL.com
    Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:12:50 -0700

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers want to see if 2005 seventh-round draft choice RB Noah Herron can serve as a halfback and a fullback.

Steelers | Wallace to Compete at Inside LB - from www.KFFL.com
    Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:01:11 -0700

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers will try 2005 fifth-round draft choice LB Rian Wallace at inside linebacker.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The WR group should have an interesting offseason...

Is this the year that Lee Mays gets the heave ho ??

With Hines, El, Wilson, Gibson, and don't forget Zamir Cobb, who was going to make the team last year before he got hurt, that could be a pretty solid group....

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Chad Brown: Visits With Steelers

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Update: Brown visited with the Steelers on Wednesday, and said he would like to play for them again, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

Recommendation: "The level of interest is very high," Brown said during his visit with the team. "It's tough to replicate the Steelers' experience anyplace else. This is a very special place to play, and to come full circle and end my career here would be awesome." He turned down Seattle's offer of $1 million per year, but might consider a similar offer with the Steelers. Brown was drafted by Pittsburgh back in 1993 and starred there through the 1996 season, when he left for bigger bucks with the Seahawks. Brown has stated he would accept a back-up role on a contending team.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
    The WR group should have an interesting offseason...

Is this the year that Lee Mays gets the heave ho ??

With Hines, El, Wilson, Gibson, and don't forget Zamir Cobb, who was going to make the team last year before he got hurt, that could be a pretty solid group....

They re-signed Mays.

THUNDER, LP
    It is incredibly gay to be posting about NFL in the spring. I will post my selections beginning in Sept. That is the only NFL that needs to be posted on my site. Thanks anyway.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by THUNDER, LP
    It is incredibly gay to be posting about NFL in the spring. I will post my selections beginning in Sept. That is the only NFL that needs to be posted on my site. Thanks anyway.
    The draft just happened this weekend you fucking fag.

You don't shit about it anyway.

Your site? You've been banned how many times?

How about starting up a couple coke threads in main huh queer boy.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ALinChainz
    Chad Brown: Visits With Steelers

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Update: Brown visited with the Steelers on Wednesday, and said he would like to play for them again, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

Recommendation: "The level of interest is very high," Brown said during his visit with the team. "It's tough to replicate the Steelers' experience anyplace else. This is a very special place to play, and to come full circle and end my career here would be awesome." He turned down Seattle's offer of $1 million per year, but might consider a similar offer with the Steelers. Brown was drafted by Pittsburgh back in 1993 and starred there through the 1996 season, when he left for bigger bucks with the Seahawks. Brown has stated he would accept a back-up role on a contending team.
    I gotta feeling he's gonna sign with the 'Burgh....

Although I'd think that the Pats would be more desparate for a LB, they may overpay for him....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah...he's gonna sign with Pittsburgh...but the question is...

Does anyone really care?

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not a bad pick up ... at the right price ... an easy fit, if he can stay healthy.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well...the only thing I really like about it is that Pittsburgh would be signing a guy as insurance and for depth...

they usually aren't in that position...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Steelers sign Batch...who wants to compete for the 2 job...who cares...both Maddox and Batch suck ass...

here's a little more about Brown...nothing substantial...but from the Post Gazette...

Brown says he wants to return
    Agent expects contract talks soon
    Thursday, April 28, 2005

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers want to sign veteran linebacker Chad Brown, and he said he wants to come here in the worst way, but there remains one small matter standing between them: A contract.

Yet Brown sounded as if he would take less money to rejoin the Steelers than he might elsewhere.

"The level of interest is very high," Brown said during his visit with the team yesterday. "It's tough to replicate the Steelers' experience anyplace else. This is a very special place to play, and to come full circle and end my career here would be awesome."

Brown met with the coaches, and the Steelers' medical staff evaluated him. A three-time Pro Bowler, he battled several injuries the past three seasons, including a broken fibula and a knee injury that limited him to seven games last season with Seattle, but he finished the year healthy.

Brown, who turns 35 in July, was released by Seattle last week after he declined to take a salary cut from $4.2 million to $1 million. He visited the New England Patriots Monday and Tuesday. The Steelers drafted him in the second round in 1993, and he became a starter at inside linebacker and outside, where he had 13 sacks in 1996 before signing with Seattle as a free agent.

The Steelers start Pro Bowl linebacker Joey Porter and Clark Haggans on the outside, but Brown said he'd be willing to play any role for them.

"I don't want to end my career at a place that's rebuilding for the future," Brown said. "I want to end my career at a place that has an opportunity to really win some games and make some noise in the playoffs.

"I was in Seattle for eight years and have three playoff losses to show for it. I need some playoff victories and, hopefully, a Super Bowl victory to round out this game that has given me so much."

Seattle wants to re-sign him. Brown will visit New Orleans next, and Denver also has an interest. Pete Schaffer, Brown's agent, said no substantial talks with the Steelers have taken place but should soon.

Charlie Batch, who signed a one-year contract Tuesday to remain with the Steelers, said he'd like to compete for the No. 2 quarterback job behind Ben Roethlisberger. "Right now, the only job guaranteed is the No. 1 spot, and that's Ben's spot. ... I can't sit back and say that I'm content at three and just happy to be here. That's not the case."

My guess here...is that Brown is using the Steelers to get the Pats more interested...just a guess...

signing him would be a coup, as it would keep him from going to a bunch of contenders...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Didn't sound that way, when he talked to the press that day....

Sounded sincere, to me anyway....

The thing about LB is that beyond the starters, they have NO decent backups....

Kriewalt is basically a special teams guru... Alonzo Jackson, aka The 2nd Round Bust, is gonna get cut this camp, especially if they sign Brown...

I think Brown is still a pretty effective backer, not a starter mind you, but in 3rd down situations....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So Va...in ALL your years of watching the Steelers...you haven't ever heard someone sound sincere about wanting to play for the Steelers...knowing that they would never get the deal they want...and end up signing somewhere else for more money?

I agree about the linebackers...and this signing would be a sign of depth...not great depth...but depth...which they generally never have...with the exception to last year...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, I see your point, but I guess you'd have to watch his press conference to see what I meant....

There's also the feeling that Joey Porter hasn't been, well, Joey Porter since about 2001....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I can agree with the Porter comment...but I don't know since 2001...

but Porter is better than Brown...and is the leader of the D...

it would certainly be a mistake if they were signing Brown to take over for him...

but like I said...it would be awesome to have a player of his calibre playing 50-75% of the downs...

Thread Information