Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

The Cult

I just got "Pure Cult - Anthology 1984-1995", a collection of the Cult's videos on DVD. It's very well-made, though I realize how much they could be posturers... Ian Astbury was declared "most irritating singer in the UK" some 15 years ago, and I can understand why. I hadn't ever seen any of their vids so far. Besides, I've got all their albums on CD, they've been among my fave bands for a long time.

"Electric" (1987) is grand. Very rough, with very good compositions, even if you'd sometimes swear you've heard some parts on AC/DC's records... Pure rock 'n' roll, anyway!

"The Cult" (1994) is great too. Just as every Cult album sounds different from the one before, this one offers something else. The songwriting is excellent there, the guitar riffs and solos really kick ass, and the bass sound is perfect.

"Ceremony" (1991) sounds like a sequel to "Sonic Temple" (1989). Both albums look a little grandiloquent, but songs are masterfully written (even ballads; I don't like them in general, but these are worth it) and Billy Duffy's guitars damn rock.

"Beyond Good and Evil" (2001) was released just when I thought they'd never record anything again. The year after, Astbury joined "The Doors of the 21st century" (what a bad joke!). It's not a great album, but it deserves listening. Songwriting left too much room to the big sound they used on that one.

"Dreamtime" (1984) and "Love" (1985) were their debut albums, though they'd already released a couple under the name of "Death Cult" or "Southern Death Cult". In "Dreamtime" and "Love", the Cult were young but already kicked ass, even if their sound and style were rather different. There was a little touch of what was called "new wave" at the time, mixed with some heavy intentions. Guitar parts were already very good, as well as the lyrics IMO, and the bass player was damn good (he was replaced for "Electric").

I really think the first four albums I mentioned are gems, generally speaking (the first two above all).
    As they are said to have been very big worldwide, especially in the US, I wonder what you all think of them, years after.
    Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 07-09-2005 at 07:14 PM.
    posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
    posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Thread Information