X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jérôme Frenchise
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Nov 2004

The Cult

I just got "Pure Cult - Anthology 1984-1995", a collection of the Cult's videos on DVD. It's very well-made, though I realize how much they could be posturers... Ian Astbury was declared "most irritating singer in the UK" some 15 years ago, and I can understand why. I hadn't ever seen any of their vids so far. Besides, I've got all their albums on CD, they've been among my fave bands for a long time.

"Electric" (1987) is grand. Very rough, with very good compositions, even if you'd sometimes swear you've heard some parts on AC/DC's records... Pure rock 'n' roll, anyway!

"The Cult" (1994) is great too. Just as every Cult album sounds different from the one before, this one offers something else. The songwriting is excellent there, the guitar riffs and solos really kick ass, and the bass sound is perfect.

"Ceremony" (1991) sounds like a sequel to "Sonic Temple" (1989). Both albums look a little grandiloquent, but songs are masterfully written (even ballads; I don't like them in general, but these are worth it) and Billy Duffy's guitars damn rock.

"Beyond Good and Evil" (2001) was released just when I thought they'd never record anything again. The year after, Astbury joined "The Doors of the 21st century" (what a bad joke!). It's not a great album, but it deserves listening. Songwriting left too much room to the big sound they used on that one.

"Dreamtime" (1984) and "Love" (1985) were their debut albums, though they'd already released a couple under the name of "Death Cult" or "Southern Death Cult". In "Dreamtime" and "Love", the Cult were young but already kicked ass, even if their sound and style were rather different. There was a little touch of what was called "new wave" at the time, mixed with some heavy intentions. Guitar parts were already very good, as well as the lyrics IMO, and the bass player was damn good (he was replaced for "Electric").

I really think the first four albums I mentioned are gems, generally speaking (the first two above all).
    As they are said to have been very big worldwide, especially in the US, I wonder what you all think of them, years after.
    Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 07-09-2005, 07:14 PM.
    posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
    posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.
  • DLR7884
    ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

"Electric" was one of the best albums that came out of the 80's.

DLR7884
    It's underrated and underappreciated.
    Originally Posted by WARF:
    DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Nov 2004

Here's "Electric".
      posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
      posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Nov 2004

And here's "The Cult". Two must have, trust me.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by DLR7884
          "Electric" was one of the best albums that came out of the 80's.

DLR7884
          It's underrated and underappreciated.
          I agree with you. I thought it was curious that in this forum, which includes very diverse kinds of (most often great) music, the Cult was never mentioned.

Comment

• sammysucks65
            Head Fluffer
            • May 2005

matt sorum (of gnr fame) is their drummer thats all i know....farewell i will return to the army in 1 week!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

As BEAVUS and BUTTHEAD said, YES!

Comment

• Unchainme
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Apr 2005

I've been meaning to get into them more, I do like She Sells Sancuatary very good song. Anyone else have any good songs by them that you reccommen me give a listen to?
                Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
                  I've been meaning to get into them more, I do like She Sells Sancuatary very good song. Anyone else have any good songs by them that you reccommen me give a listen to?
                  Sure.

"Wild flower", "Lil' devil", "Peace dog", "Love removal machine", "Memphis hipshake" (on ""Electric").

"Sun King", "Sweet soul sister", "New York City", "Fire Woman", "Medicine "train" (on "Sonic Temple").

"Ceremony", "Earth mofo", "White", "Full tilt", "Wonderland" (on "Ceremony).

"Gone", "Black sun", "Universal you", "Emperor's new horse" (on "The Cult").

"War", "The saint", "Rise", Breathe", "Shape the sky", "My bridges burn" (on "Beyond good and evil").

Some non-album tracks are worth it too, like "Wolf child blues" (on the "Love removal machine" EP), or a few rarities that were released on their "Rare Cult" boxed set, but they really got their best out on official albums anyway.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Nov 2004

Here are links to mp3.com.

"The Cult" (black ram's head):

"Electric":

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

They're an awesome band!
                      http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
                      http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Nov 2004

Thank you Doc' (and DLR7884, Nick, Sammysucks and Unchainme) for approving!

There's one I forgot to mention (in "Electric"), so here are the lyrics (a kind of rewriting of "Crossroads", relatively speaking of course):

"King contrary man"

I saw the devil
                        The contrary man
                        I saw the devil down the long, long road
                        He said to me "boy"
                        He said to me "boy"
                        He said to me "boy, I want your soul"
                        I said "no", I said "no"
                        I said "no, you can't take my soul"
                        No, I said "no", I said no", I said "no, you can't take my soul"

I took a while, I thought about it
                        Down at the crossroads tempting fate
                        I took a while, I thought about it
                        Down at the crossroads tempting fate
                        "Yeah-eh, yeah-eh, yeah-eh, you can take my soul"
                        "Yeah-eh, yeah-eh, yeah-eh, you can take my soul",
                        Take my soul, I want it all, yeah...!

(solo)

Zany antics of a beat generation
                        In their wild search for kicks
                        Fightin', drinkin', scornin' convention
                        Makin' wild love, makin' wild love
                        I saw the devil
                        The contrary man
                        I saw the devil down the long, long road
                        He said to me "boy", he said to me "boy"
                        He said to me "boy, I want your soul"
                        I said "yeah", I said "yeah",
                        "I said yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah (...)
                        I want it all, I want it all,
                        Yeeeeeeah"

The main riff kicks a bull elephant's ass.

Comment

• EbDawson
                          Veteran
                          • Apr 2004

Sonic Temple, great CD!
                          "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by EbDawson
                            Sonic Temple, great CD!
                            It's their best seller. I don't know the figures, but they sold millions of that one.

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

I forgot to add...buy them all.

You won't be sorry. Forget what "critics" say about them...they rock!

Caught them once in Germany and twice in the US live...they brought it!
                              http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
                              http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

Working...