Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I made those pumpkin pies yesterday, and they turned out excellent, better than using canned "pumpkin"! It was worth the little bit of extra effort, and it isn't all that difficult to do. Here's the recipe I used:

Homemade Fresh Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients:
    2 cups mashed, cooked pumpkin
    1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
    2 eggs, beaten
    3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup shortening
    1/2 cup cold water
    Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
    2. Halve pumpkin and scoop out seeds and stringy portions. Cut pumpkin into chunks. In saucepan over medium heat, in 1 inch of boiling water heat the pumpkin to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Drain, cool and remove the peel.
    3. Return pumpkin to the saucepan and mash with a potato masher. Drain well.
    4. Prepare pie crusts by mixing together the flour and salt. Cut shortening into flour, add 1 tablespoon water to mixture at a time. Mix dough and repeat until dough is moist enough to hold together.
    5. With lightly floured hands shape dough into a ball. On a lightly floured board roll dough out to 1/8 inch thickness. With a sharp knife, cut dough 1 1/2 inch larger than the upside down 8-9 inch pie pan. Gently roll the dough around the rolling pin and transfer it right side up on to the pie pan. Unroll, ease dough into the bottom of the pie pan.
    6. In a large bowl with mixer speed on medium, beat pumpkin with evaporated milk, eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Mix well. Pour into a prepared crust. Bake 40 minutes or until when a knife is inserted 1 inch from the edge comes out clean.
    Last edited by Little Texan; 10-17-2010, 01:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Little Texan View Post
      Why? They're cheaper than everyone else.
      i just hate all the big box stores
      Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER View Post
        i just hate all the big box stores
        That's cool. I don't like them, either, but my wallet does. :tongue0011:

Comment

• Hey, I tried something else yesterday with some pumpkin I had left over. I took some mashed pumpkin and put a little half and half, butter, salt and pepper and heated it in the microwave. It was really good fixed that way, kinda like a cross between mashed potatoes and rutabagas.

Comment

• Thought I would resurrect Chef Max's ole cooking thread to share an awesome recipe that I tried the other night. If you decide to make this, I would strongly advise against using oven ready noodles as they didn't cook all the way through when I made this the last time, so use regular lasagna noodles that you have to boil first.

Easy Spinach Lasagna

9 (2-inch) lasagna noodles
            1 lb. lean ground beef
            2 cans Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic and Oregano
            2 cans (13-1/2 oz. each) Leaf Spinach
            1 pkg. (15 oz.) ricotta cheese
            3 cups (12 oz.) shredded Mozzarella cheese

1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
            2. Cook meat with tomatoes in skillet over medium-high heat, 7 minutes.
            Drain Spinach well, squeezing out excess liquid; blend with ricotta cheese.
            3. Layer 3 noodles, 1/2 spinach mixture, 1/3 tomato mixture, and 1/3 cheese
            in 9x12-inch baking dish. Repeat, ending with noodles, tomatoes and cheese.
            4. Bake at 350 degrees F, 30 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with sliced
            green onions and serve with Parmesan cheese, if desired.

Comment

• Your own personal no name starter Hummus dip stuff.

You will need a food processor< is that even spleled rite..?

Some folks use a "blender" this machine is like exactly, the thing you make the fancy drinks in when company comes into town. ya know..... the food processor is better for you rich folks.

Here how it go...

#1. 1 .. 15 oz can of Garbanzo Beans aka( chick peas). Drained, save juice in a cup or bowl, and rinse beans with cool crisp lovely water 3 times, that are in the can.

(I small bottle of pre chopped pickled garlic ,that you buy at the local food blamo mart, or you can cut your own to a small dice if you got's the skills, see below)

#2. 2 cloves of garlic..from pre packaged mentioned above, or off a large bulb chopped with the skills, about 2 heaping Teaspoons.

#3. 2 Tablespoons of, Virgin Olive Oil or Canola Oil or Vegetable Oil, this part is listed in order of prefference best to, uh ok.

#4. 1 Teaspoon of Fresh Ground Black Pepper or whattever pepper type you have ( probaly a serving shaker you stole from Denneys that saturday morning you were out way to late). White Pepper use 3/4 Teaspoon.

#5. 1 Teaspoon of Salt.

#6. I Lemon ( because you cannot buy 1/2 of a Lemon (fukk That Real lemon jazz),but that is all you need ,1/2 of the juice of a Lemon. Yes 1/2 the juice of one Lemon.

Put all of this in your vegomatic with 1/4 of the Garbonzo juice maybe 1 oz, you saved from the can o' beans. Blend for (3) three minutes on low speed ( untill creamier than your favorite peanut butter), high speed creates heat and may make it all gooffy.

Place in a low slow sloping sided bowl and garnish with a little spoon indented puddle of whatever oil you used in the middle.

Ritz crackers are nice, but you really want some bland Pita bread or a Tortillia like thing (cut in small triangles) to put this on so the Hummus stands out not the cracker .

Now you can best this base with different spices some other time if you feel BOLD! (Paprika Chili Powder ..Ginger.. later grasshopper make the base first)

I left out the traditional Tahinni or Boninni or whattever it is ( it is groun sesame seed butter I believe) They usually add 2 taqblespoons of that ..whattever,.. extra expense not needed for this novice good time Hummus.

All this insane text looks troublesome but there are only (6) Six steps all the rest is trivial....lol.
              Last edited by clarathecarrot; 11-07-2011, 07:31 PM.
              2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
              clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• does it turn out green?
                Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• No, just good and tasty, we could make it green.... and ROOL THE WORLD!!!! AAHH HA HA HAAA.

Or just eat it up.

Vote carrot.

Comment

• If you want green hummus, go to Trader Joes. They make this guacamole-hummus hybrid stuff that's great.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• I have never shopped there, as I am not a slave to fashion, other than my completely slave to the fashionable statement just posted, I have heard Trader Joes is a great place and someday I will check out the green wonder mentioned above, sounds good.

This thread Rools!

Eat Every Bean And Pea On Your Plate.

Comment

• beans on toast

toast bread - empty beans - hot preferably on top ( don't forget to take them out of the can first )

eat

fuck you gordon ramsey

Comment

• That's called shit on a shingle.
                          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Originally posted by MAX View Post
                            Bouillabaisse
                            (Serves 2-4)

Broth Ingredients:
                            1/4 cup lobster base (available canned in specialty markets) or you can use shrimp base
                            3/4 quart water
                            1 cup dry white wine
                            3 tablespoons tomato paste
                            1 tablespoon ground garlic
                            1 tablespoon anise seed
                            1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
                            1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
                            2 bay leaves
                            1 teaspoon saffron

Combine all ingredients in a larger pot. Bring to boil and then simmer 15 minutes.
                            Set aside.

Seafood and Vegetable Ingredients:

This is where you can get creative and put whatever the fuck you want in it.

12-16 mussels (make sure they are tightly closed and smell fresh)
                            12-16 clams or cockles (make sure they are tightly closed and smell fresh)
                            4 2-ounce pieces of fish (halibut, snapper, mahi mahi, etc.)
                            16 pieces medium-to-large shrimp (peeled and deveined)
                            16 pieces medium-to-large scallops

I also like (when I have the cash) to put crab (king, blue or dungeoness) and/or lobster in as well.

Again, you can pretty much put whatever the fuck you'd like. Infact, I've been known to just make vegeatable bouillabaisse or I've used ground beef and sprinkle fresh parmesan cheese over the top.

1 tomato, in a half-inch dice
                            1/2 yellow onion, sliced
                            3 ribs celery, chopped

Place the stock in a flat 2-3 quart saucepan.
                            Add the mussels and clams - cover and simmer for four minutes.
                            Add the vegetables and the fish, lobster at this time as well - cover and simmer another four minutes. Add the shrimp and scallops - cover and simmer 2-3 minutes, or until the shrimp is fully cooked.

Serve in individual flat soup dishes or pasta bowls.
                            Bouillabaisse is traditionally served with crusty French or sourdough bread.

Damn this looks good!
                            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Lookie what I made!!

I was going to start a random thread to post this - was so psyched to find this thread already here! I'm assuming baking is relevant here, especially considering this cake. I love to bake crazy "cake boss" type cakes - have a small business on the side as well. Just made this cake for my hubbies birthday last night.
                              Attached Files
                              Stay Frosty!

THE DAY IS DONZO LET'S HAVE SOME FUNZO!!

Comment

• Some other cakes!

This is a monster truck cake I made for a customer.
                                Attached Files
                                Stay Frosty!

THE DAY IS DONZO LET'S HAVE SOME FUNZO!!

Comment

Working...
                                X