Member No
    Last Online
    08-19-2021 @ 12:39 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by BottomLine65
    Just being funny...
    me too
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-17-2023 @ 11:02 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Little Texan
    Anyone have any good recipes for Buffalo/Hot Chicken Wings, and any good Super Bowl recipes? We're having a Super Bowl party next Sunday at my mom's, and I need some food ideas.
    WELL?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thanks for all the great Super Bowl recipes, everyone.

Farm Hand
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-19-2012 @ 08:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Thanks for all the great Super Bowl recipes, everyone.
    Everyone was busy, I guess.

Summer's coming tho . . . who needs the super bowl.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-18-2010 @ 02:14 PM
    Status
    Thanks

For DG,

Check out this one and we were right about the gooey/num nummy stuff.

6 tablespoons butter
    1 cup chopped onions
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    6 tablespoons flour
    2 cups chicken stock
    1 cup half and half
    1 cup diced carrots, blanched
    1 cup sweet corn
    1 cup sweet peas
    2 cups shredded chicken breast, cooked
    2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
    1 recipe Basic Savory Crust (recipe follows)
    Salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 9 by 2-inch square baking pan.
    In a large saute pan, melt the butter. Add the onions and celery and saute for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the flour and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes for a blond roux. Stir in the chicken stock and bring the liquid up to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and continue to cook for 4 to 6 minutes, or until the sauce starts to thicken. Stir in the half and half and continue to cook for 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the carrots, peas, corn and chicken. Mix the filling thoroughly. Line the baking pan with one of the crusts. Pour the filling into the prepared pan. Place the top crust on top of the filling. Carefully tuck the overlapping crust into the pan, forming a thick edge. Crimp the edges of the pan and place on a baking sheet. Place the sheet in the oven and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and crispy.

Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before serving.

Basic Savory Pie Crust
    3 1/4 cups flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups cold lard or solid vegetable shortening
    4 to 5 tablespoons ice water

Combine the flour and salt in a bowl. Add the lard and work it in with your hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, working it in with your hands. Add only as much as you need to make a smooth ball of dough. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place it on a lightly floured surface. For 2 crusts, cut the dough in two and put the second half back in the refrigerator. For each crust, roll the dough out on the floured surface into a square about 14 inches in diameter and 1/8-inch thick. Gently fold the square of dough in half and then in half again so that you can lift it without tearing it, and unfold into a square baking pan. Fill and proceed as directed in the recipe.

Yield: 2 pie crusts

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Heeyas an even easier and quicker one. Sort of like a dime store pot pie whore version. :p

DERGREDIENTS:
    2 frozen pie shells
    1-10 3/4 oz cream of chicken soup
    1/2 C. milk
    1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
    2 C. cooked chopped chicken
    1 tsp. minced garlic
    1 small onion
    Coarse ground black pepper, to taste

PREPARATION:
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    Take pie shells out of freezer, separate, lay one pie shell flat, leaving the other in the pie pan, and thaw for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, defrost frozen veggies in microwave; chop and sautee onion. Mix chicken, defrosted veggies, sauteed onion, garlic, soup and milk in large mixing bowl. Pour into pie shell; top with flattened pie shell. Pinch edges together and poke holes in top crust. Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until crusts are done.

VOILA!!!

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

My aunt told me about this awesome recipe idea and since it has peanut butter in it, I had to dermember it by posting it for DG in this thread. Bein' how she's The Army's resident peanut butter fanatic. lol

Anyway, it was a take on french toast. It also has bernanas in it but I'm going to exclude them cos I hate them. This way I can make the toast for the Deej and if she happens to give me a bite, I won't make my yucky face. lol

So DG, this is for you.

First off

Just make a typical batter for french toast.

I usually use milk, whisked eggs, bernilly (that's vanilla for everyone else) and pinches of both salt and double pinches of sugar.

K, so make your batter.

Now here's where the peanut butter comes in as DG drools...

Just like doing a grilled cheese, well, the way I do 'em anyway. You coat your bread with peanut butter on all sides. Then thinly slice up some strawberries. Take TWO slices of the bread (again, the same way you'd do a grilled cheese) put the thinly slices strawberries and some white chocolate chips in what would be the center with a little extra peanut butter.

Smoosh the slices together cos we don't care how it looks at this point.

Then soak, dunk and drench them in your milk/egg/bernilly batter.

Now and just as you'd normally do french toast, heat up a frying pan. I always use butter. Hey, when one's making something such as this, fuck calories, fat or whatever cos this is yum yum time.

Now for the even funner part!!! Once you've drenched the fuck outa your french toast sand in the batter, dip it in a bowl of rice crispies!!! I'm not kidding!!! Coat the sand up really good.

Melt the butter, put your peanut butter/strawberry filled center, batter endrecnched/rice crispy coated "sammich" into the melted buvter/frying pan and do it just like you'd do a grilled cheese.

Get it good and golden brown on both sides.

Here's another touch. You know those plastic squeeze dispenser thingies with the tips on 'em that you find in diners for catsup or mustard?

These things:

They're only like a buck or two and come in handy if you cook a lot. So buy one for this.

Anyhoo, microwave or heat up some of your favority jam, preserves or jelly. With this recipe, I'd go with strawberry. So, heat it up and put it into the aforementioned dispenser.

Squirt a generous portion on the plate for decoration.

Also, when you remove the french toast sammich from the pan, inject the tip of the jelly filled dispenser into the sammich and blow a generous load of the jelly into the sammich.

Then cut the sand in half.

What you'll then have is this crispy motherfucker with hot, gooey strawberry/melted white chocolate jizz and PB & J oozing out of the middle.

Set the french toast sand atop the jelly decorated plate.

Then put whatever it is you'd normally put on your french toast.

For this, I suggest some buvter, powdered sugar and strawberry syrup.

I'd also atop the beast with either bacon or some sausage. Depending on what they'd like as you surprise them with this feast as brekkie in bed or whatever the occasion.

Sounds good doesn't it?

Enjoy!!!
    Last edited by MAX; 03-08-2007 at 04:33 AM.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

K,

I dunno if I've yet to share this secret that my grandmother always used for hamburger buns in this thread prior? Regardless and since I'm in this thread, here it is and I PROMISE that once you try this, you'll forever do your buns like this.

It works both when doing indoors or outside on the grill.

Granny's Hamburger Buns

It's easy...

All you do is spread a coat of mayo on the face down side of the buns and brown/toast them on low heat.

That's it!!!

When doing it indoors, use PAM or any other non-stick spray, get the pan pre-heated then put the mayo buns face down, fry them on low to medium heat to preferred doneness. They'll have a nice toast and epic flavor cos the mayo cooks into the bun.

Same goes on the BBQ. Just set them face down, keep an eye so not to burn them and cook them up.

Again, it's not a big deal but both anyone and everyone of whom I've ever shown how to do this loves them and never does burgers without them.

Anyhoo, a fun tip I wanted to share and thanks Granny, God rest your soul.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here's a new one that I just dervented just a cupla weeks ago and boy, oh boy is it fucking good. Not for dieters at all.

I can't decide whether it's some sort of quiche, scrambled egg pie, crustless breakfast pizza or what the fuck? Dergardless, it's soooo fucking yummy that I've since made two more, my friends and brothers have also done their own variations as well. That's the good thing about it is you can put whatever the fuck you want in it. lol

Ok, I'll give you my step by step, then y'all can modify it to whatever you want etc.

K, first off I take a deep dish, non-stick, skillet-type cooking pan cos I own all of the kitchen hardware. Preheat the oven to 375.

In the pan, I took about six strips of thick-cut bacon, fried them up, removed them just as if we were just making bacon.

I set the bacon aside and chopped it up.

I kept the pan going though with all of that yum-yum pork fat/bacon grease. I then melted a generous helping of REAL FUCKING BUTTER!!!

I then take one yellow onion (finely chopped) along with some garlic (sliced it razor thin like in Goodfellas) and chopped up both a red and green bell pepper and got them going.

Next, I add a pound of ground pork sausage broken up into pieces. So far, I've found the Jimmy Dean HOT brand to work the best.

Gook all that together until the sausage browns. Season with a little salt and freshly ground pepper. Next, I add about half a bottle of chunky salsa and stir that all in.

In a separate bowl I take a dozen eggs, ground cumin, Berdasco sauce (Tabasco for the rest of you (lol) whole milk, salt and pepper and I beat the fuck out of it until there's an enormous ammount of froth to make the egg mixture BEYOND light and fluffy. I use what Everil calls a "boat motor" mine's made by BraUn and looks like this:

Anyhoo, I scramble the eggs like a motherfucker.

K, once you get the eggs beated to a pulp, pour the mixture in with the sausage/onion/pepper combo. On low heat, stir ut up so the sides start looking like an omlette. I then add the chopped bacon that I mentioned prior, sliced green olives and at least a pound of shredded cheddar and mozzerella cheese. I've also used mushrooms before as well. Seriously and as you can see, anything goes.

K, stir all of the shit in, remove from the stove and stick it in the oven. I dunno, for maybe like 15 to 20 minutes? Just keep checking. The thing rises like a soufle. You'll know it's done when the top is all golden brown (alonf with the sides and the cheese is bubbling.

Remove and let sit for about ten minutes. What you'll end up with is this fluffy pie that's soooooo fucking good. Slice it like pie wedges and serve with salsa or whatever.

Again, anything will work. My buddy's on a diet and he's substituted egg whites, turkey sausage and what have you. Also and what makes it so cool is the cheese kind of crusts it up so you get crispiness around the edges.

Anyhoo, that's a newy that I just made up.

Give it a try and tell me how it workks out.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ally, Coyote or whomever stickied this,

That was awfully nice and thank you.

I've got a ton more recipes to add and especially with summer now being here. Lots of good grillin' ideas.

Anyhoo, this might me off topic but it does pertain to cooking shows and what have you.

Anyone watch Rachel Ray on FoodNetwork? I know she's some Oprah hotshot now but I still have the urge to make fun of her. lol

Now and don't get me wrong cos she seems like a nice person but I watch her "$40 A Day" show cos it's usually on right as I get home from work. K and this bugs the fuck out of me. lol

Evety-single-fucking-time she tastes whatever food she's just purchased in her travels she puts on some onscreen production like she's going for The Oscar for best portrayal of an orgasm!!! I mean food is good but geezus!!! Watched her take a bite out of a friggin' BBQ sandwich tonight and she acted like a submarine had just exploded in her port 'o call. Que the next segment where she takes a bite out of some homemade oreo and same effect. I mean, it's like her segments are almost becoming XXX Rated!!! It wouldn't be so annoying if she'd grab and utilize either a bananna or a zucchini but those squeals and sighs over some cheap meatloaf she just scored in at The Honeymoon Haven Motel in Bumblefuck, Iowa have got to go.

Why does this bother me? I dunno? Dergardless, is it just me or has this broad become sooooooo friggin' annoying that she needs to be banned?
    Last edited by MAX; 05-29-2007 at 03:33 AM.

Because I can, dammit!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-17-2018 @ 12:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by MAX
    Here's a new one that I just dervented just a cupla weeks ago and boy, oh boy is it fucking good. Not for dieters at all.

I can't decide whether it's some sort of quiche, scrambled egg pie, crustless breakfast pizza or what the fuck? Dergardless, it's soooo fucking yummy that I've since made two more, my friends and brothers have also done their own variations as well. That's the good thing about it is you can put whatever the fuck you want in it. lol

Ok, I'll give you my step by step, then y'all can modify it to whatever you want etc.

K, first off I take a deep dish, non-stick, skillet-type cooking pan cos I own all of the kitchen hardware. Preheat the oven to 375.

In the pan, I took about six strips of thick-cut bacon, fried them up, removed them just as if we were just making bacon.

I set the bacon aside and chopped it up.

I kept the pan going though with all of that yum-yum pork fat/bacon grease. I then melted a generous helping of REAL FUCKING BUTTER!!!

I then take one yellow onion (finely chopped) along with some garlic (sliced it razor thin like in Goodfellas) and chopped up both a red and green bell pepper and got them going.

Next, I add a pound of ground pork sausage broken up into pieces. So far, I've found the Jimmy Dean HOT brand to work the best.

Gook all that together until the sausage browns. Season with a little salt and freshly ground pepper. Next, I add about half a bottle of chunky salsa and stir that all in.

In a separate bowl I take a dozen eggs, ground cumin, Berdasco sauce (Tabasco for the rest of you (lol) whole milk, salt and pepper and I beat the fuck out of it until there's an enormous ammount of froth to make the egg mixture BEYOND light and fluffy. I use what Everil calls a "boat motor" mine's made by BraUn and looks like this:

Anyhoo, I scramble the eggs like a motherfucker.

K, once you get the eggs beated to a pulp, pour the mixture in with the sausage/onion/pepper combo. On low heat, stir ut up so the sides start looking like an omlette. I then add the chopped bacon that I mentioned prior, sliced green olives and at least a pound of shredded cheddar and mozzerella cheese. I've also used mushrooms before as well. Seriously and as you can see, anything goes.

K, stir all of the shit in, remove from the stove and stick it in the oven. I dunno, for maybe like 15 to 20 minutes? Just keep checking. The thing rises like a soufle. You'll know it's done when the top is all golden brown (alonf with the sides and the cheese is bubbling.

Remove and let sit for about ten minutes. What you'll end up with is this fluffy pie that's soooooo fucking good. Slice it like pie wedges and serve with salsa or whatever.

Again, anything will work. My buddy's on a diet and he's substituted egg whites, turkey sausage and what have you. Also and what makes it so cool is the cheese kind of crusts it up so you get crispiness around the edges.

Anyhoo, that's a newy that I just made up.

Give it a try and tell me how it workks out.
    I'm new to this thread, and all I got to say is WOW! You a Chef or sumthin' Max? This sounds real good, but not something I would eat on a daily basis type thing. But I am going to give this a try and see how the hell it comes out. LOL

Because I can, dammit!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-17-2018 @ 12:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by MAX

I've got a ton more recipes to add and especially with summer now being here. Lots of good grillin' ideas.

Anyhoo, this might me off topic but it does pertain to cooking shows and what have you.

Anyone watch Rachel Ray on FoodNetwork? I know she's some Oprah hotshot now but I still have the urge to make fun of her. lol

Now and don't get me wrong cos she seems like a nice person but I watch her "$40 A Day" show cos it's usually on right as I get home from work. K and this bugs the fuck out of me. lol

Evety-single-fucking-time she tastes whatever food she's just purchased in her travels she puts on some onscreen production like she's going for The Oscar for best portrayal of an orgasm!!! I mean food is good but geezus!!! Watched her take a bite out of a friggin' BBQ sandwich tonight and she acted like a submarine had just exploded in her port 'o call. Que the next segment where she takes a bite out of some homemade oreo and same effect. I mean, it's like her segments are almost becoming XXX Rated!!! It wouldn't be so annoying if she'd grab and utilize either a bananna or a zucchini but those squeals and sighs over some cheap meatloaf she just scored in at The Honeymoon Haven Motel in Bumblefuck, Iowa have got to go.

Why does this bother me? I dunno? Dergardless, is it just me or has this broad become sooooooo friggin' annoying that she needs to be banned?
    I like this chick, but yah, she is a bit too animated for me. Hey, Max....you gonna watch Hells Kitchen with Gordon Ramsey on Fox? I haven't missed a season yet.

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Anyone have any good recipes for squash? I'm starting to pick quite a few from my garden, and I need a good recipe.

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-19-2021 @ 04:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by MAX

You're welcome.

Not that I'd be hungry, or anything...

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

WOW!!!

Both a response and a compliment from Rotharmy Royalty such as Susie Q? I must say I'm flattered.

Ummmm... I'm no "chef" persay but I've ALWAYS been addicted to cooking and cooking shows, even as a little kid. I absolutely LOVE to cook and make up things. When I was a young ruggie I remember watching the "Galloping Gourmet" and Julia Childs with my grandmother and to this day, I'm STILL and BEYOND addicted to the Food Network. I love watching Everil, Bobby Flay and some of their other shows. I hate the iron chef and shit but yeah, I rarely get much TV time in but those are the shows I love watching. Plus, I'm somewhat involved in that industry as a career, although I'm more on the spirits and wine part of it.

As for "Hell's Kitchen" I did watch it last season. Are there more? :confused: I did see previews for another one and I'll surely watch it if I'm home.

Again, thank you for the kind words.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Coyote
    You're welcome.

Not that I'd be hungry, or anything...
    Well and again, I do thank you.

Any recipe suggestions? If I dunno how to cook one, I sure can find out, try it and post the easy version of a "how to do." lol

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Anyone have any good recipes for squash? I'm starting to pick quite a few from my garden, and I need a good recipe.
    What kind of squash?

Dayuum, it seems early for fresh squash but lucky you if you have it.

Tell mw qhat kind and I'll share a cupla good recipes. Keep in mind, if you have an abondance, you can make some epic soup to freeze for the winter months. Friggin' pureed squash soup 'tis soooooooo fuckin' good!!!

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Crookneck summer squash.

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by MAX
    I love watching Everil, Bobby Flay and some of their other shows. I hate the iron chef and shit but yeah, I rarely get much TV time in but those are the shows I love watching.
    I watch the Food Network quite a bit, also, and like to watch Emeril Live whenever he's cooking something I'm interested in. I also have a couple of his cookbooks...one I got for Christmas called "From Emeril's Kitchens", and the other I bought on Amazon called "Louisiana: Real And Rustic". I've cooked quite a few of Emeril's recipe's the last few years, and they never disappoint! Another one of my favorites on the food channel is Paula Deen. I've cooked a few of her recipes, too, and they are always pretty damn good, also.

Thanks forthe dream.- DLR
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-19-2021 @ 12:39 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Gotta love a man who cooks...very hot, indeed.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    10-15-2023 @ 08:00 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by MAX

Thank GOD I'm not the only one! That chick drives me batshit!
    I haven't been around in a while but I'm so glad you started this recipe section. Cooking is my passion and I'm always interested in sharing recipes. I'm getting some together right now to post.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by b1c2
    Thank GOD I'm not the only one! That chick drives me batshit!
    I haven't been around in a while but I'm so glad you started this recipe section. Cooking is my passion and I'm always interested in sharing recipes. I'm getting some together right now to post.
    Why thank you, I appreciate the compliment and I'm stoked to see someone else who derjoys cooking as much as myself. Look forward to teyin' out some of your recipes.

K, I have a new one I made up. It's not food but a cocktail. I was reading in one of our local papers about some bartender chick in Park City who won the readers choice for best original mojito. Well and being how I used to bartend for a number of years, I said to myself "Fuck it, I can make one better than that broad." lol

Anyway, it's a variation on the trendy Mojito except her's is some blackberry version.

K, so I made up a mixed berry mojito. I'll just give the recipe for one so you can multiple the dergredients for however many you wanna make.

I take two fresh strawberries, six fresh raspberries, three fresh blackberries and about a half dozen fresh blueberries for my mixture of berries.

I put them in a shaker with two and a half ounces of TEN CANE rum, an ounce of simple syrup, just a dash of clear Creme De Menthe, an ounce of FRESH lime juice, six fresh mint leaves and then I muddle it all together. Then I add a scoop of ice over the mixture and enough to fill my shaker. Proceed to shake the shit out of it. Then pour it into a tall glass. Ice and all. Don't strain it. The glass should be about 3/4 th's full. Top the glass off with soda, Pelligrino, Perrier or whatever carbonated soda, seltzer you choose. Fuck, even Sprite would be ok but then I'd lessen the simple syrup cos you don't want it too sweet. And VIOLA, a mixed berry mojito.

Very derfreshing for the summertime!!!
    Last edited by MAX; 06-14-2007 at 05:12 AM.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by MAX
    Why thank you, I appreciate the compliment and I'm stoked to see someone else who derjoys cooking as much as myself. Look forward to teyin' out some of your recipes.

K, I have a new one I made up. It's not food but a cocktail. I was reading in one of our local papers about some bartender chick in Park City who won the readers choice for best original mojito. Well and being how I used to bartend for a number of years, I said to myself "Fuck it, I can make one better than that broad." lol

Anyway, it's a variation on the trendy Mojito except her's is some blackberry version.

K, so I made up a mixed berry mojito. I'll just give the recipe for one so you can multiple the dergredients for however many you wanna make.

I take two fresh strawberries, six fresh raspberries, three fresh blackberries and about a half dozen fresh blueberries for my mixture of berries.

I put them in a shaker with two and a half ounces of TEN CANE rum, an ounce of simple syrup, just a dash of clear Creme De Menthe, an ounce of FRESH lime juice, six fresh mint leaves and then I muddle it all together. Then I add a scoop of ice over the mixture and enough to fill my shaker. Proceed to shake the shit out of it. Then pour it into a tall glass. Ice and all. Don't strain it. The glass should be about 3/4 th's full. Top the glass off with soda, Pelligrino, Perrier or whatever carbonated soda, seltzer you choose. Fuck, even Sprite would be ok but then I'd lessen the simple syrup cos you don't want it too sweet. And VIOLA, a mixed berry mojito.

Very derfreshing for the summertime!!!

A mixed berry mojito???? Are you freaking kidding me??? How good does that have to be? I'll tell you when I get back from the store. One of my buds here in town own a abkery and makes a mojito cookie that she is known for. Love it!

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here is one I made the other day. I couldn't find my meat grinder so I just chopped the pork up into small chunks and it worked fine. You really need to eat it w/the relish to balance the heaviness of the peanut sauce though. Fettucine works if you don't have udon. I also added more sambal oelek because I like it hot!

Relish:
    1 cup shredded seeded peeled cucumber
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup shredded carrot
    1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil

Noodles:
    8 ounces udon noodles
    1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1/4 cup natural-style peanut butter
    2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
    1 tablespoon chile paste with garlic (such as sambal oelek)
    Cooking spray
    1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
    1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
    6 ounces ground pork
    2 garlic cloves, minced

Preparation
    To prepare relish, place cucumber in a colander; sprinkle with salt. Toss well. Drain 1 hour. Place cucumber on several layers of paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Let stand 5 minutes, pressing down occasionally. Combine cucumber, carrot, vinegar, sugar, and oil in a medium bowl; stir until well blended. Cover and chill 1 hour.
    To prepare noodles, cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and set aside.

Combine broth, peanut butter, soy sauce, and chile paste in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; coat pan with cooking spray. Add onions, ginger, and pork to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until pork loses its pink color. Add garlic to pan; sauté 30 seconds. Pour broth mixture into pan; bring to a simmer, and cook 1 minute or until slightly thickened. Pour pork mixture over noodles; toss well. Serve with relish.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here is another one that is damn tasty. I used canned pineapple and mixed the juice w/the chicken stock (reducing the amount of tsock called for) and it really added to it. Plus, I'm hitting the gym pretty hard these days and both these recipes are fairly low in calories but don't taste it. Less than 300 calories. I made rice & black beans to go w/it. I threw the pork on the grill after it cooked just to give iy more smokiness and carmelize it. You can use chicken if you don't like pork.

Salsa:
    2 cups minced pineapple
    1 cup minced apple
    1/4 cup minced shallots
    2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Tacos:
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, cut lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
    1 tablespoon cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    12 cherry tomatoes, quartered
    2 chipotle chiles, canned in adobo sauce, chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
    12 (6-inch) corn tortillas, warmed

Preparation
    To prepare salsa, combine the first 7 ingredients in a medium bowl; stir until well blended. Cover and chill.
    To prepare tacos, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 2 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds. Add pork to pan; cook 4 minutes or until pork loses its pink color, stirring occasionally. Stir in broth and next 7 ingredients (through chipotles). Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer 10 minutes or until liquid is nearly evaporated. Warm tortillas according to package directions. Serve pork mixture with tortillas and salsa.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here is one I made the other day. I couldn't find my meat grinder so I just chopped the pork up into small chunks and it worked fine. You really need to eat it w/the relish to balance the heaviness of the peanut sauce though. Fettucine works if you don't have udon. I also added more sambal oelek because I like it hot!

Relish:
    1 cup shredded seeded peeled cucumber
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup shredded carrot
    1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil

Noodles:
    8 ounces udon noodles
    1/4 cup natural-style peanut butter
    2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
    1 tablespoon chile paste with garlic (such as sambal oelek)
    Cooking spray
    1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
    1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
    6 ounces ground pork
    2 garlic cloves, minced

Preparation
    To prepare relish, place cucumber in a colander; sprinkle with salt. Toss well. Drain 1 hour. Place cucumber on several layers of paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Let stand 5 minutes, pressing down occasionally. Combine cucumber, carrot, vinegar, sugar, and oil in a medium bowl; stir until well blended. Cover and chill 1 hour.
    To prepare noodles, cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and set aside.

Combine broth, peanut butter, soy sauce, and chile paste in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; coat pan with cooking spray. Add onions, ginger, and pork to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until pork loses its pink color. Add garlic to pan; sauté 30 seconds. Pour broth mixture into pan; bring to a simmer, and cook 1 minute or until slightly thickened. Pour pork mixture over noodles; toss well. Serve with relish.
    Fuck YEAH!!! That sounds AWESOME!!!

Especially with the peanut butter. I happen to know a certain special lady who'd love this very much!!!

Keep them coming!!!

I have a question, what if I were to substitute the ground pork with ground chorizo? Would that fuck up the dish's premise too much? I happen to love stuff very spicy as well but not to the point as to where it takes away from the initial idea?

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

A mixed berry mojito???? Are you freaking kidding me??? How good does that have to be? I'll tell you when I get back from the store. One of my buds here in town own a abkery and makes a mojito cookie that she is known for. Love it!
    Hmmmmm "mojito cookies?" Sounds very interesting?

Actually, I have severa; Mojito variations and I'd be happy to post them if anyone's interested? The latest one I learned was a blood orange and basil mojito.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hey, does anyone have a good homemade curry recipe? One I can either put crab, shrimp, chicken or lamb with? Keep in mind, I also want one that will clear out my sinuses. HOT!!! HOT!!! HOT!!!

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by MAX
    Fuck YEAH!!! That sounds AWESOME!!!

Especially with the peanut butter. I happen to know a certain special lady who'd love this very much!!!

Keep them coming!!!

I have a question, what if I were to substitute the ground pork with ground chorizo? Would that fuck up the dish's premise too much? I happen to love stuff very spicy as well but not to the point as to where it takes away from the initial idea?
    I think chorizo would be too much personally. I love chorizo though. There is a little butcher down here that makes the best I've ever had.

I have some curry recipes I'll post this weekend. Curry is my all time favorite food!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

Curry is my all time favorite food!
    I think I just had a flashback

Where ya been, Angel??

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by FORD
    I think I just had a flashback

Where ya been, Angel??
    the usual haunts. how about yourself?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Same shit, different day pretty much.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Same shit, different day pretty much.
    Damn, how many years has it been now? Thats a lot of shit!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Damn, how many years has it been now? Thats a lot of shit!
    OK, maybe not ALL of the same shit.... But then shit sometimes happens in cycles, ya know?

Er not that we should be talking about shit in a perfectly good cooking thread.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

OK, maybe not ALL of the same shit.... But then shit sometimes happens in cycles, ya know?

true. PM me instead, ok?

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thanks FORD,

Regardless, you're always welcome around here. Now, who's b1c2? Thus far, I'm enjoying the recipes. Perhaps you two would like to fill me in on the history, no? Pasture Dump, Links, what? :confused:

Hey b1c2, got any good crab cake recipes as well?

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by MAX
    Thanks FORD,

Regardless, you're always welcome around here. Now, who's b1c2? Thus far, I'm enjoying the recipes. Perhaps you two would like to fill me in on the history, no? Pasture Dump, Links, what? :confused:

Hey b1c2, got any good crab cake recipes as well?

FORD and I go waaay back. Like damn near a decade now. Ouch, I'm getting old.

And despite my androgynous handle, I am a chick!

I'm allergic to shellfish so I'm no help on the crabcakes. I'm trying to get a recipe for panang curry posted for you though!

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm sorry to hear about the shellfish thing. One of my best friends suffers the same affliction and is always so bummed that he cannot have lobster, crab or shrimp.

Seriously, thanks regarding the curry. I look forward to making some homemade.

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Help! I need some good summer squash recipes, asap! My fridge is beginning to fill up with squash! Max, about the squash soup recipe...?

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Help! I need some good summer squash recipes, asap! My fridge is beginning to fill up with squash! Max, about the squash soup recipe...?
    K, here's a basic soup one from my Grandmother. The great thing is it's such a basic soup and there are so many things you can add to it and all completely up to you. Like in the fall or winter add some heavy cream and puree the soup. It will stick to your ribs. I've also added added (not all at once, lol) hamburger, any kind of pasta, crab, fresh corn in the summertime, shrimp, other veggies, etc. Again, entirely up to you but this is a good base soup to help with your overload of summer squash.

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

4 medium sweet onions (Vidalia or Walla Walla, for example), thinly sliced

2 garlic cloves, minced

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

1/2 cup dry sherry

1/2 cup heavy cream (optional and for a heartier soup)

6 cups chicken stock or broth does just fine as well

2 pounds summer squashes chopped into 1/4-inch dice pieces

1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme

1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Melt the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook until golden, about 20 minutes.
    Add the sherry and reduce by half, only a minute or two. Add the chicken stock and squash. Bring to a boil and cook until squash is soft for about 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Ladle the soup into warm bowls and top with the parmesan cheese.

Thread Information