X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
    He's gotta a little Jordan-esque with that tongue, don'tcha think ??
    Maybe he's just thirsty for the beer keg behind the Pittsburgh bench...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by DavidFlamma
      I heard through a player's agent that Buffalo wont be keeping both of their goalies.

Biron was supposed to be dealt. Now what?

How can they trade him? 11 wins!!!

How is their cap, financial situation?
      I dunno.' MILLER was a healthy scratch last night I noticed...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
        Maybe he's just thirsty for the beer keg behind the Pittsburgh bench...
        He's a fine upstanding 18 year old young man, he would never think of drinking an alcoholic beverage until he's 21....

And if you believe that...
        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

CROSBY has to quit yapping at the ref's everytime someone breaths on him. He looks like a pansy doing that.

But I'll say the kid is has a spark, I thought the game was going to be a blowout after the first, but the PENs gave 'em a scare.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

Sheesh...

The guy's getting banged around like a Bangkok hooker...

So let me get this straight...

In this "new NHL", everyone else can get touchy/feely penalties, but when it comes to Crosby, he can get cross-checked from behind, 4 stitches in the lip, and 3 chipped teeth, and shut the fuck up about it ???

Is that what I am to understand ??

You're turning green Nick....

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Sheesh...

The guy's getting banged around like a Bangkok hooker...

So let me get this straight...

In this "new NHL", everyone else can get touchy/feely penalties, but when it comes to Crosby, he can get cross-checked from behind, 4 stitches in the lip, and 3 chipped teeth, and shut the fuck up about it ???

Is that what I am to understand ??

You're turning green Nick....
              Oh c'mon man. When he was whining the time I noticed, he was taken out by a good, clean hit. If he's being high sticked or cross checked, that's different. But he was body-checked, roughly but not cheaply. If he wants to play in a pro-league where defensemen are not allowed to touch him, he can always try one of the European leagues. But every top skill player takes a little "welcome to the NHL." Like any playmaker, he needs to keep his head up and has to develop awareness...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

Agreed, but the majority of the time, I've seen him complain to the refs on plays that should have been penalties, or should I say, ARE penalties on other players....

I think the way he's deking the D-men (like the Sabre Dman the other night ) really creates tough decisions for the refs....

'Cause realistically, most of those plays could have some sort of penalty called, but obviously they're not going to call something EVERY time...

I'm just glad Thierren has him back at center, gives him more room to operate....

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Agreed, but the majority of the time, I've seen him complain to the refs on plays that should have been penalties, or should I say, ARE penalties on other players....

I think the way he's deking the D-men (like the Sabre Dman the other night ) really creates tough decisions for the refs....

'Cause realistically, most of those plays could have some sort of penalty called, but obviously they're not going to call something EVERY time...

I'm just glad Thierren has him back at center, gives him more room to operate....
                  Well he's sure a nifty-shifty little fuck. He's living up to the star billing...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Bertuzzi headed to Turin; Crosby left off Canadian team

December 21, 2005

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) -- Todd Bertuzzi is an Olympian. Sidney Crosby is not.

Canada announced its Olympic team for the Turin Games on Wednesday and Crosby, a Pittsburgh Penguins rookie widely touted as the future face of the NHL, wasn't on the list.

Bertuzzi, the Vancouver Canucks forward known infamously for the blindside attack that left Colorado's Steve Moore with broken bones in his neck in March 2004, made the cut.

"We're proud to have him," Team Canada's assistant executive director Kevin Lowe said of Bertuzzi. "As human beings and in life and in this country, I think a big part of being Canadian is being able to forgive."

Bertuzzi, reinstated by the NHL in August after a serving a 17-month suspension, pleaded guilty in a Vancouver court to criminal assault on Dec. 22, 2004, and was given one year of probation, which ends this week.

"For them having the faith in me is pretty rewarding," said Bertuzzi, sporting red-dyed hair. "Knowing they believe in me and that the so-called baggage that I carry wasn't going to interfere with this team."

Bertuzzi missed the final 13 regular-season games of the 2003-04 season and Stanley Cup playoffs, and his banishment continued throughout last season's NHL lockout. He was also barred from the World Cup of Hockey in September 2004 and two world championships.

He struggled early this season, scoring two goals in his first 15 games. But recently has displayed the dominating form that he used to score 46 goals and 97 points in 2002-03.

"In 2003-04, no question Todd Bertuzzi was one of the top three or four forwards in all of Canada, if not the world, and that's the type of player we've seen in the last couple of weeks," Lowe said.

The team is mostly made up of players who represented Canada during wins at the 2002 Olympics, '03 and '04 world championships and last year's World Cup.

Columbus forward Rick Nash made the team despite missing all but five games this season with a high ankle sprain and a knee injury. He was Canada's best player at this year's world championship and had two goals in his first two games back last week.

Crosby, the first pick in this year's draft, ranks second among rookies and 29th overall with 14 goals and 19 assists. But the 18-year-old center was left out.

"This roster is built around not only skill and speed and courage, but also the experience," said Steve Tambellini, director of player personnel.

Crosby was attending a players-only Christmas party Wednesday night and wasn't immediately available for comment, but his agent, Pat Brisson, said he would have easily fit onto one of Canada's top two lines.

"He's such a competitor, but at the same time he understands Canada has a big talent pool of great players," Brisson said.

Asked how upset Crosby was, Brisson said, "He wouldn't be normal if he wasn't disappointed. He's a proud competitor."

New Jersey goaltender Martin Brodeur, one of Canada's returning gold medalists, said Crosby was just a victim of a rich talent pool.

"He's a young guy," Brodeur said. "When you have the privilege of playing for the greatest hockey country, there are only so many players. It's not that he's not worth being there, it's just because he's in a situation that Team Canada has a new wave of young players."

Lowe read a statement by Wayne Gretzky, Team Canada's executive director, thanking fans for their best wishes after the death of his mother, Phyllis, on Monday.

"This is a great day for Canadian hockey and congratulations to everyone. I know my mom was looking forward to this day as every Canadian is," Gretzky said.

Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson said Gretzky will be in Turin and remain "the leader heading into the Olympics."

Nicholson confirmed he had discussions with the Canadian Olympic Committee over concerns about naming Bertuzzi, and forward Dany Heatley, who pleaded guilty to second-degree vehicular homicide and was sentenced to three years' probation and community service for the car crash that killed then-Atlanta teammate Dan Snyder in 2003.

"I think it's a non-issue," Nicholson said. "They will look at the list in the next few days and I don't expect anything coming back."

Colorado Avalanche center Joe Sakic was named captain.

Defensemen who are returning to defend Canada's gold medal include Colorado's Rob Blake; Columbus' Adam Foote; Vancouver's Ed Jovanovski; Anaheim's Scott Niedermayer and Edmonton's Chris Pronger. Forwards headed back are Philadelphia's Simon Gagne; Calgary's Jarome Iginla; Sakic and Edmonton's Ryan Smyth.

Rounding out the roster were goaltenders Roberto Luongo (Panthers) and Marty Turco (Stars); defensemen Wade Redden (Senators) and Robyn Regehr (Flames); and forwards Bertuzzi, Shane Doan (Coyotes), Kris Draper (Red Wings), Heatley, (Senators), Tampa Bay's Vincent Lecavalier, Brad Richards and Martin St. Louis, Nash, and Joe Thornton (Sharks).

The reserves are Eric Staal (Hurricanes), Jason Spezza (Senators) and Bryan McCabe (Maple Leafs).

Key members of the gold-medal team not returning are Penguins owner-captain Mario Lemieux, Steve Yzerman, Paul Kariya, Eric Lindros, and goaltenders Curtis Joseph and Ed Belfour.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                      ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

It had to be this way...

It is why Canada could probably field two teams and have both medal.

There is so much talent.

Bert was one of the world's top three forwards before the strike, and has shown recently that he is once again a real force. Not much of a controversy at all for Canadians.

Crosby will captain this team eventually
                      sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

Just got back from PA for the holidays...

My son and I had a great time on Tuesday for Leafs/Pens...

It started a little while before gametime when I surprised my son with a Crosby jersey from Penstation as a belated XMAS present... His big braces-filled smile was all I needed to see...

There were about 2,000 Leafs fans there, as Toronto isn't too far away from the 'Burgh...It really created a great atmosphere for the sellout crowd... All of Leafs fans that I talked to were very cordial...

Loudest boos of the night ?? Canadian blowhard Don Cherry, who was in town with his straight man for Hockey Night in Canada....I watched the game again today on my TIVO and Cherry said he "accidently" got beer spilled on him...

Of course the game itself was very exciting... Pens came back in the 3rd period, with Crosby making another incredible pass from his knees for the tying goal....

The Leafs won the game 3-2 in OT, so not the end result we wanted to see, but it was still a helluva game...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by DavidFlamma
                          It had to be this way...

It is why Canada could probably field two teams and have both medal.

There is so much talent.

Bert was one of the world's top three forwards before the strike, and has shown recently that he is once again a real force. Not much of a controversy at all for Canadians.

Crosby will captain this team eventually
                          Yeah, and TEAM USA left off the best AMERICAN goalie, RYAN MILLER...

I guess Robert ESCHE is gonna' get sunburn on the back of his neck....

Comment

• Thorman
                            Commando
                            • Apr 2005

Nice cheap shot by that team USA punk last nite...sore loser!! Brutal, he should be given the boot. And people complain about Bert but that shit was just as bad!!

BAM
                            http://www.topthat.net/webrock/sounds/bamm.wav

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Dec 2003

I actually watched that entire game last night on Direct TV, helluva game...

Agreed, that was quite the cheap shot after the EN goal...

Although from what I've heard/read, the other guy is quite the instigator himself...

Doesn't excuse the cheap shot though....

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Who are we talkin' about?

Comment

Working...