X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Romeo Delight
    ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Too bad Messier hung on for so long.

He was done after he won cup in New York.

His years in Vancouver were pathetic. A career power forward who decided he was a perimeter player here after he signs $6 million a year contract.

Still, dude was a monster in playoffs. Played his ass off until Rangers won.

Kinda weird his number is retired in New York. Shouldn't it be retired in Edmonton?

I know New York is original six team but somehow the attachment to New York seems a little false.

I guess a city that helped you score a few nights with Madonna will do that to a guy.
    Last edited by Romeo Delight; 01-13-2006, 04:01 AM.
    sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Romeo Delight
      ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I'm trying to hold back with Messier, but I just can't

It's one thing to have a 1 hour and 20 minute pre-game ceremony to honor a great player and retire his number.

But it is quite another for said player to lift the hallowed Lord Stanley's Mug in a year when the Rangers did not win the Cup.

WTF was that? Ummm, that Cup you won was over 10 years ago.

Only in New York, I guess. Wait, maybe Toronto would have the gall to do such a thing.
      sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

A joke:

Wayne GRETZKY is banging his wife doggie-style one night. He remembers that she's skipped a pill, and he's bareback, so he pulls out and blows his load on her back. She looks back and goes, "ohhh, messy, eh?"

And Wayne says, "NOOOOO! It's WAYNE!!"

Comment

• Romeo Delight
          ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

When Messier came here, Vancouver management thought it appropriate to take C away from Trevor Linden.

The guy was a better player than messier at the time...Leetch and Richter won them that Cup.

And to add insult to injury, Team gave Messier a retired number (Wayne Maki). They did not consult family or anything. Brutal.

Messier had an exclusive deal with some sports company and so would not sign autographs for kids unless at company authorized function. $6 million a year was not enough cash, apparently...

Brutal.
          Last edited by Romeo Delight; 01-13-2006, 06:48 PM.
          sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I dunno.' MESSIER still had the intangible of leadership...

Comment

• Romeo Delight
              ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
              I dunno.' MESSIER still had the intangible of leadership...
              Not here. Seriously...he was collecting a cheque.

Only thing I saw was good vision and anticipation.

In Cup Final he was vicious. Elbowing Linden in the head when he was on one knee, after a hit.

Dude played his whole life as the ultimate power forward and then comes here and plays like Jari Kurri.

Not remembered fondly here.

Stories of life-long season ticket holders, one guy had never missed a single minute of the Canucks since day 1, couldn't take it anymore.
              sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

I thought the same thing Flamma...about many things...

1. It should have been retired in Edmonton long before New York...but you know...the fucking cup...

2. UNFUCKING BELIEVABLE TO ME THAT HE HELD THE CUP...I know that noone won it last year...but that's fucking sacriledge...no way that should have happened...

3. He was cashing a check the last few years of his career...not even a shadow of his former self...

He was a great performer in the playoffs though...as he showed when Edmonton won after Gretz left, scoring 129 points that year...and with New York...

Gretz NEVER won it after leaving Edmonton...

that says something...
                "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

Hurricanes had a great week...

beat Detroit...and Nashville...to tie Philly with 62 points for most in the league...

and man do they have some quality players that are young...and Rob Brinda'mor is awake from the dead...

two years ago...I think they had 80 points...already have 60 at the halfway point...
                  "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Full Bug
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DavidFlamma

But it is quite another for said player to lift the hallowed Lord Stanley's Mug in a year when the Rangers did not win the Cup.

WTF was that? Ummm, that Cup you won was over 10 years ago.

Only in New York, I guess. Wait, maybe Toronto would have the gall to do such a thing.
                    Why not? The Cup belongs in Toronto anyway....
                    Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Full Bug
                      Why not? The Cup belongs in Toronto anyway....
                      Sure, it's only been, what, 38 years now ???
                      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                        ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                        Sure, it's only been, what, 38 years now ???
                        Got to give those stinkin' Leafs fans credit for loyalty, I guess.

Haven't even been close. Ha!
                        sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                          • Dec 2003

Even the lowly Pittsburgh Penguins have two Cups since then.....

Your Canuck boys are in town soon, right ??

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Take 'Em
                            Head Fluffer
                            • May 2005

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                            Even the lowly Pittsburgh Penguins have two Cups since then.....
                            Your Pens must have a little magic left in them. They came into Chicago the other night and somehow managed to get the Blackhawk's Jagoff owner to lift the home game blackout and televise the game in Chicago. 1st time that's happened in years.

I think the league wants more kids to see Crosby develop as a player and hopefully help markets like Chicago get some new fans for the future. They even threw a mic on Martin LaPointe for his on-ice conversations with the kid.

I personally hope the kid fills the net all year gets some big endorsement contract. More power to him.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Dec 2003

I'm not 100% sure, but the blackout isn't lifted until the game is soldout, which it was.. 20K plus...

But, as usual, they stunk up the joint....

Comment

• Take 'Em
                                Head Fluffer
                                • May 2005

how popular is youn Mr. Crosby, that he sells out the United Center for 2 bottom feeding teams? Oh well. At least my kids got to see it on TV.

Comment

Working...