X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Golden AWe
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
    Couple of different ways to look at this...

One, Stumpel may have gotten tired of waiting for the Malkin situation to clear up...

Or two, the Pens may have gotten an indication that the Malkin situation will be cleared up, and told Stumpel they won't need his services...

Or three, Keenan overpaid for him...
    I'm a fan of Keenan, always been...but I don't get it, why isn't he signing Jokinen first...and gotten a longer contract for Luongo too...I don't get it.
    Originally posted by Cato
    Golden, why are you FAT?
    Originally posted by lesfunk
    Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
    http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by DavidFlamma
      What's great (grate?) in Canada is that each team has it's local, regional coverage (Much like the Rangers have).

Each of those is better than the US national NHL coverage (except for Toronto)

For future reference, assume that when I refer to Canada or Canadian hockey, always exclude Toronto

Thx :p
      It's still another game on to watch. The local SABRES coverage is actually quite good with RICK JENNERET calling the games...

The guy used to drink a twelve-pack a game from the broadcast booth, he's since quite...:p

Comment

• Romeo Delight
        ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Nickdfresh

The guy used to drink a twelve-pack a game from the broadcast booth, he's since quite...:p [/B]
        You mean people watch hockey and DON'T drink beer??!

Very cool
        sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

Gonna be very interesting what the Pens do with Tarnstrom...

I'm not so sure that I agree with the notion that already having one offensive-Dman is plenty, with Gonchar already signed.... I would throw Ric Jackman in that category as well, he had a great year after being traded to the Pens last season....

However, I can also see that the Pens may want to get that 2nd or 3rd line center.... Trading Tarnstrom should get a decent return....

Tarnstrom: 1-year, $1.6 million award
          Future as Penguin remains unsettled
          Sunday, August 28, 2005

By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Dick Tarnstrom, who was awarded a one-year, $1.6 million contract by an arbitrator yesterday, knows it's possible the Penguins will walk away from that award, making him an unrestricted free agent.

He also understands that they might aggressively try to trade him if they decide he won't provide a good return on that seven-figure investment.

Nonetheless, Tarnstrom is adamant that he wants to remain with the Penguins. So firm, in fact, that it almost appears he's trying to will that to happen.

"He's already bought a car and is getting Pennsylvania license plates," said Mark Stowe, his agent. "I think that shows his intent."

Tarnstrom's feelings aren't the issue, though. What matters most is the opinion of Penguins general manager Craig Patrick, and he doesn't seem inclined to share it. Patrick, through a team spokesman, declined to discuss the arbitration award or his plans for Tarnstrom.

The Penguins have 48 hours after the arbitration award came down to walk away from it; if they do, they are not entitled to compensation if Tarnstrom signs elsewhere. They also have the option of trading him, and it's likely Patrick has spent the weekend investigating possible deals.

Tarnstrom, at least for the moment, has the fifth-highest salary among Penguins players for the coming season. He ranks behind Sergei Gonchar and Zigmund Palffy ($3.5 million each), Mark Recchi ($2,228,000) and John LeClair ($2.1 million). Mario Lemieux and rookie Sidney Crosby -- who figures to get $850,000 in salary and a similar amount in bonus money -- also could nudge ahead of Tarnstrom.

Stowe characterized the salary award as "a fair result," and added that it was "well above what they offered, and not what we wanted." The precise figures the parties submitted to the arbitrator Friday have not been divulged.

Stowe said he has "no idea" what course of action the Penguins will take with his client. That isn't surprising, considering that Patrick isn't in the habit of sharing his personnel plans with people from outside the organization.

Although Tarnstrom, who had a team-high 52 points in 2003-04, is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent next summer, Stowe reiterated that he would like to work out a multi-year deal with the Penguins.

"He still wants to play in Pittsburgh, even beyond this year," Stowe said. "It makes a lot of sense to tie a guy like that up for a few years."

There has been nothing to suggest the Penguins share that sentiment, though. Their thinking seems to be that with Gonchar and Ric Jackman -- and perhaps Ryan Whitney -- in their lineup, an offensive defenseman such as Tarnstrom becomes redundant. Or, at the very least, a rather pricey luxury.

The Penguins, as arbitration protocol demands, downplayed Tarnstrom's value to them during his hearing Friday.

His flaws were dissected and magnified during that session and, even though Tarnstrom contended that he didn't take any of it personally, he apparently is relieved that the process has played out.

"Dick's happy it's over," Stowe said.

Now he must wait to find out if his career with the Penguins is, too.
          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Full Bug
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

Damm Beach, maybe you should rename this thread the Pittsburgh Pens thread....
            Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

Well, since the Leafs are sitting and twirling on their thumbs, somebody's gotta post some shit in here.....

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Anyone in Florida hear the rumor of trading Luongo for Dan Cloutier of the Canucks, in a package deal or otherwise??
                sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

NHL - Hockey Trade Rumors, providing NHL Hockey Trade Rumors since 1996

Will Roberto be Luong-gone as well? It appears he may ask for a trade, but once again this would be a difficult situation. The goalie market is a bit weak right now, and Luongo being offered around the league puts the Sabres in a horrible situation. They have the goalies to offer, mainly the only team to have that, yet Luongo may push them aside.

I think GM Mike Keenan changed the face of the Panthers and for the first time in years, the Panthers will get recognized (if all goes well planned). But, there is certainly no excuse for Keenan if he loses Luongo due to the arbitration decision. I agree that he should have signed him to a one year deal, see if he can still be the same goalie under the new rule changes and if he does well then he gets a long-term contract.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Panthers are not done dealing yet. They need a scorer, preferebly a LW'er. Keenan is also the type to pull off a blockbuster trade, which he apparently tried to do in order to get Chris Pronger.

I do not see the Vancouver Canucks as a likely destination. They do not have much to offer for Luongo as far as scoring goes. And, no way does Keenan go from having an elite goaltender to normal/average/good goaltender in Dany Cloutier.

Other likely destinations? I believe the Canadiens are number one here. The Panthers and the Canadiens have what it takes to make a trade a la Thrashers and Senators. It is still all up in the air, however, and it would all have to make financial sense for both sides, specifically the Panthers. Of course, Jay Bouwmeester may also become a key to this major trade speculation regarding Luongo.

The second team that could be in the running may be the New York Islanders. Hey, why not make up for losing Luongo by getting him back? Rick DiPietro is also having issues with Mad Mike, and he certainly is not asking Luongo type money, he is still young has loads of potential and his type of character is well suited for Keenan hockey.

Once again, the Panthers would be looking to grab a significant scorer, but it would also have to make financial sense for them.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                    ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

The rumor I heard here in Vancouver is Cloutier and Jovo for Luongo and Bouwmeester...

I loved the way Jovo used to play with Florida - smacking the shit out of Lindros in the playoffs!!!

Now, he thinks he is fucking Orr.
                    sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• SilvioDante
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Jan 2004

Well, my Preds signed Kayria and resigned Sullivan. If we can stay healthy (This means YOU Paul).....I don't know... We could make some noise....
                      "Don't try to confuse the issue with half truths and gorilla dust." - Bill NcNeal

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by SilvioDante
                        We could make some noise....
                        Or, maybe not...

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                          ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I don't know how good Luongo really is.

Ya he has been named to Team Canada, but that was more of a chemistry thing, thinking that Luongo MAY be a good goalie in future.

Gretz didn't want to rock the boat too much, knowing he has Brodeur there.

Theodore should have been there...
                          sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                            ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Hey Guwapo! Leafs on CBC 25 times this year!!!

This is such a joke!

Granted, a larger percentage of Canada's population resides in the area.

But, for our US friends, the CBC is a Crown corporation, publically funded for the benefit of all Canadians.

Every year, the NHL and the CBC get together and ensure the Lafs play every Saturday night (Hockey Night in Canada broadcast).

No other network can air hockey that night as the CBC had a monpoply.

It is ridiculous that Canadians will have to endure 25, that's 25 Leafs games and only 15 Canuck's games.

It will be fun though, the Leafs will be O for 15 on Saturday night and ratings will be down.

Last time I checked, there was three Western Teams and 3 Eastern teams in Canada.

There should be equal representation every week as there are double headers now.

A joke!
                            sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                              ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Leafs suck balls
                              sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Aren't the Canadians on every Saturday night too?

Comment

Working...