X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

I don't know about that....

If it was a limited amount over the cap, that may be OK, but I wouldn't want it to get to the point where you're a team like the Yankees who basically could care less how much they're giving away on a luxury tax....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

I hesitate to agree with Va...

but will say this...

if you allow teams to go over the cap...then you can't control contracts...

Say the Wings go over the cap to sign a guy for 10 million a year...every player equal or better than that player then puts themselves at 10 million or over...

and how many teams will be able to do that? NY/NY/Toronto/Detroit/Chicago/LA...

and you're back to where you were before you started.

Hockey is one of the only leagues that I think NEED a hard cap...

without it...they can't function...because nobody watches anyways...
      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

In baseball...the longer you run the rules that they run...the easier it will be for teams to function against the Yankees...as teams have done for the past 10 years...

Now the Yankees have found a loophole...with the new stadium working as a credit against the tax $ they have to give to the rest of the league...so we'll see how that translates...

but right now...the Yankees aren't a playoff team...and more than likely won't be...

They still alter other teams by taking players...but they are not even close to the only team that does it...

The Yankees don't even really drive the market on players and what they make...because it's now a general concensus that you will make more with the Yanks than another team...so they've hurt themselves by creating their "own" market...

I couldn't disagree with you more Va...baseball uses the Yankees to create fan like and dislike...and actually has a viewership...that no matter how much it sucks compares to football...makes hockey look like a PBS show...

Hockey is on it's own island...because if they didn't find out a way to cure the skyrocketing salaries...they would have had to fold the league...baseball's not there...not even close...yet...
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Romeo Delight
          ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

What you guys are saying makes alot of sense...

I do think that kockey is a little different than other sports, at least here in Canada.

What I mean is that there is some expectation by the fans for players to return - that there be some degree of loyalty and committment.

The NFL has done alot of things right, but no guaranteed contracts!!!
          This is why you have situations like TO in Philly. I don't blame him one bit. Players change teams continuously and I don't think that will wash with the Canadian hockey fans anyway.
          sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
            I couldn't disagree with you more Va...
            Don't sell yourself short Poj, you can disagree with me more....

The Yankees aren't a playoff team precisely because the reason the Pirates aren't a playoff team, shitty team transactions....

The difference is, having a 200 million dollar payroll gives you a helluva lot more latitude with the amount or the quantity of signings, compared to a 30 million dollar payroll, where every move made is crucial...

I love what the NHL has done, I think it's going to make for a very competitive year....

It's going to be interesting to see what teams suck and what teams do very well, and compare that to what those same teams' status was when the lockout began, i.e. what their salary cap status was...

So if the Maple Leafs are a marginal playoff team, for instance, will that be attributed to them whacking salaries because of the cap ??

And if teams like the Panthers or the Pens do well, will it be because they were able to add players they previously had no chance signing ??

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

So...you'd rate the Yankee and Pirate's coaching staff hand in hand?...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

LOL, I won't bite on that one....

Comment

• Alex Mogilny
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Apr 2004

My take so far on this free agent signing frenzy and the year ahead.............

1. Where's AlMo gonna end up...hope not FLA!!

2. The Flyers....Please...Forsberg is one hit to the head away from doing the kickin' chicken. It wouldn't matter if Booby Clarke bricked in the goal in the playoffs, the other team will find a way to put the puck through it.

3. The Pens...very interesting can Cancer man keep up with sid the kid and ziggy??? Good pick up on T-Bo....bigger question is who is gonna play on lines 2-4???

4. The Coyotes....arguablly the best player ever as their coach...translation: cellar dweller yet again. Look for rumors of Gretz lacing them up as early as November.

5. The Leafs...will they ever fucking learn??? Erica Limpdros??? see Forsberg. I bet Gordie Howe thinks he could pot a few in the NHL. The Leafs should call him up!

6. The Rangers...Jagr and????? When is Sather gonna be fired??? It's gonna be a long winter on Broadway.

7. The Islanders...The most exiting news here is that Milbury has been heard to say he wants to bring back the Gorton's Fisherman Uniforms.

8. Buffalo....They still have a team???

9. Boston...could be contenders, locking up Thornton and Smasonov is a good thing...interesting to see what they will do with Brian Leetch since he plays like a forward anyway.

10. Montreal....will the real alexei kovalev please skate onto the ice?

11. Carolina....see #8

12. Atlanta.....very interesting strong young team...the addition of Holik will help..should make the playoffs this year.

13. Florida....where old hockey players go to retire...look for messier to sign in the next few days.

14. Tampa.....no khabi...no big deal....will make playoffs.

15. Nashville...yee...haw...word is steve kariya is gonna fill in for Paul and management is so stupid they won't even realize it.

16. Dallas...yawn fucking yawn...trap crap

17. New Jersey....I hate fucking New Jersey, but they always find a way.

18. Colorado....Sakic and Hejduk who else....Prediction Rob Blake continues to become more like Patrice Breeze-by..as he was at the end of '04. No Goalie.

19. Los Angeles.... Someone please shoot JR.

20. Anaheim...Feds and Nieds...what else do you need? should make playoffs.

21. Columbus...hot damn they signed Adam Foote...they'll still miss the playoffs.

22. Minnesota....They didn't sign anybody...nobody!

23. Calgary...fucking A those 3rd uniforms are FUGLY.

24. Edmonton....I guess Peca will get familiar with the Doctors in that part of Canada.

25. San Jose...interesting group of young kids...look for marleau to break out.

26. Ottawa...can't play the trap i the new nhl after getting a 1-0 lead...will be interesting to see how they adapt.

Comment

• Sarge's Little Helper
                    Commando
                    • Mar 2003

My take so far on this free agent signing frenzy and the year ahead.............

2. The Flyers....Please...Forsberg is one hit to the head away from doing the kickin' chicken. It wouldn't matter if Booby Clarke bricked in the goal in the playoffs, the other team will find a way to put the puck through it.

3. The Pens...very interesting can Cancer man keep up with sid the kid and ziggy??? Good pick up on T-Bo....bigger question is who is gonna play on lines 2-4???

4. The Coyotes....arguablly the best player ever as their coach...translation: cellar dweller yet again. Look for rumors of Gretz lacing them up as early as November.

5. The Leafs...will they ever fucking learn??? Erica Limpdros??? see Forsberg. I bet Gordie Howe thinks he could pot a few in the NHL. The Leafs should call him up!

6. The Rangers...Jagr and????? When is Sather gonna be fired??? It's gonna be a long winter on Broadway.

7. The Islanders...The most exiting news here is that Milbury has been heard to say he wants to bring back the Gorton's Fisherman Uniforms.

9. Boston...could be contenders, locking up Thornton and Smasonov is a good thing...interesting to see what they will do with Brian Leetch since he plays like a forward anyway.

10. Montreal....will the real alexei kovalev please skate onto the ice?

11. Carolina....see #8

12. Atlanta.....very interesting strong young team...the addition of Holik will help..should make the playoffs this year.

13. Florida....where old hockey players go to retire...look for messier to sign in the next few days.

14. Tampa.....no khabi...no big deal....will make playoffs.

15. Nashville...yee...haw...word is steve kariya is gonna fill in for Paul and management is so stupid they won't even realize it.

16. Dallas...yawn fucking yawn...trap crap

17. New Jersey....I hate fucking New Jersey, but they always find a way.

18. Colorado....Sakic and Hejduk who else....Prediction Rob Blake continues to become more like Patrice Breeze-by..as he was at the end of '04. No Goalie.

19. Los Angeles.... Someone please shoot JR.

20. Anaheim...Feds and Nieds...what else do you need? should make playoffs.

21. Columbus...hot damn they signed Adam Foote...they'll still miss the playoffs.

22. Minnesota....They didn't sign anybody...nobody!

23. Calgary...fucking A those 3rd uniforms are FUGLY.

24. Edmonton....I guess Peca will get familiar with the Doctors in that part of Canada.

25. San Jose...interesting group of young kids...look for marleau to break out.

26. Ottawa...can't play the trap i the new nhl after getting a 1-0 lead...will be interesting to see how they adapt.
                    Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.
                    "I decided to name my new band DLR because when you say David Lee Roth people think of an individual, but when you say DLR you think of a band. Its just like when you say Edward Van Halen, people think of an individual, but when you say Van Halen, you think of…David Lee Roth, baby!"!

Comment

• Matt White
                      • Jun 2004

You Forgot THE RED WINGS!!!!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Alex Mogilny

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                          ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                          Actually, its Torontions (Leaf fans) who think the hockey world revolves around them, not other Canadians.

Bob Mackenzie works for TSN (Supposedly 'Canada's Sports Network', which is more like the Toronto Sports Network).
                          There should be six more Canadian teams in NHL!

Take out GDMM Nashville, Columbus and all other ill-concieved Bettman decisions and now way did NHL have to go through nightmare of last few years!

Cities like Winnipeg, and Hamilton could support hockey in huge way. Hamilton had full compliment of season's tickets sold in their application. No!

Much wiser to head to the hockey hotbet of Nashville, Tennessee!!

Bettman fucked NHL!
                          sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Dec 2003

Hold on there buddy, Winnipeg had their chance and blew it...

Just like Quebec did....

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Alex Mogilny

"Cancer man" ?? Damn, that's pretty cold dude....

You probably don't consider undergoing two months of radiation treatment, finishing one morning, flying to Philadelphia, and scoring for the Pens in the same day, is a feat, but you have to admit, not a bad day's work...

Oh yeah, he came back to win the Art Ross Trophy again that year, with 160 points.... Not bad for the Cancer man, huh ??

I'm sure Mogilny will be putting up those numbers this year, for whoever wants him that is....

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                                ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I was the happiest guy in the world when the Canucks traded Mike Peca for Almo.

In the end, it was the second worst trade we've ever made (after Perderson for Neely).

He floats, drinks too much Vodka, and is a cancer (for lack of a better word) on the team.
                                sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

Working...