X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VAiN
    Use my hand, I won't look
    ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Hockey is back!! My Florida Panthers kicked off the season with a nice 4-2 win of Dallas.. game started out a little, my man Tim Thomas shut the door and they closed it out big with 3 in the 3rd... I FUCKING LOVE IT!! Getting TT to sign here was a stroke of genius by Tallon... last season was a throw-away, I'm looking forward to a big year. GAME ON!!
    Originally posted by wiseguy
    That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

First major trade of the season, I think the Sabres ate the Islanders lunch, as much as I like Vanek:

Sabres trade Thomas Vanek to Islanders
      Kevin Allen, USA TODAY Sports 9:10 p.m. EDT October 27, 2013

The Buffalo Sabres started the final phase of their rebuilding project by trading prize goal scorer Thomas Vanek to the New York Islanders for a package that includes Matt Moulson, a first-round draft pick in 2014 and a second-rounder in 2015.

At some point this season, the Sabres could also trade veterans Ryan Miller and Steve Ott as rental players.

From the Islanders' perspective, they are landing one of the NHL's premium goal scorers, possibly a perfect fit for prized center John Tavares. Vanek has hit the 40-goal mark twice, and generated 20 goals last season in 38 games. He has four goals this season.

The Islanders have shown they can be a factor in the Metropolitan Division, and Vanek has been a difference-maker throughout his career.

The catch is that Vanek will be an unrestricted free agent next summer, and Vanek, 29, might simply want to see what's available to him. He owns a year-round home in Minnesota.

From the Sabres' perspective, this is a strong return for a rental player. He has scored 30 or more goals three times in his career and posted 44 points in 47 games last season. Moulson also will be an unrestricted free agent, but the Sabres might feel like they have a reasonable chance to re-sign him.

In the meantime, Moulson, who has six goals in 11 games this season, could partially replace Vanek's offensive contributions.

The key for the Sabres is the first- and second-round picks, viewed as crucial to their hopes of rebuilding the team.
      LINK

Comment

• BITEYOASS
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by nickdfresh
        sabres announcer rick jeanneret to retire in 2016

by matt brigidi @mattbrigidi on aug 8 2013, 1:35p

toronto, on - november 12: Buffalo sabres broadcaster rick jeanneret arrives for the hockey hall of fame induction ceremony at brookfield place on november 12, 2012 in toronto, canada. - (photo by bruce bennett/getty images)

the buffalo sabres have announced a three-year extension with play-by-play announcer rick jeanneret. It will be his final contract.

The buffalo sabres have come to terms on a three-year extension with play-by-play announcer rick jeanneret, the club announced on thursday. Jeanneret will call a reduced number of games over the course of the deal and will retire following the 2015-16 season.

The broadcaster was contemplating one more complete season with the team and retiring after the 2013-14 campaign. However, discussions with his family and the sabres led to the decision announced on thursday morning. Jeanneret will remain with the club in an honorary role after his retirement.

In addition, the club announced that dan dunleavy will call games that jeanneret takes off. Dunleavy will take over responsibility of the team's play-by-play call starting in 2016-17.

"i am excited and honored to join the sabres organization and its tremendous broadcasting team," dunleavy said. "i'm honored that i get an opportunity to work with and learn from one of the best play-by-play announcers hockey has ever seen in rick. He is the pinnacle of our profession and i'm humbled that i will be following in his legendary footsteps."

dunleavy previously worked on the toronto maple leafs' broadcast team and spent 19 years at sportsnet radio and the fan 590 in toronto.
        captain kangaroo lives!!!

Comment

• BITEYOASS
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2004

WTF Red Wings?!?! Losing 6-1 to a team coached by a fucking Walrus.

Comment

• VAiN
            Use my hand, I won't look
            ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Florida is off to a nightmare start.. Guess they picked up where they left off. It's still early, but daaaaaamn!!!
            Originally posted by wiseguy
            That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Take 'Em
              Head Fluffer
              • May 2005

Could we see Chicago vs. Pittsburg in the finals this year? Hawks might be able to repeat, but the playoffs are gonna be tough............

Comment

• Take 'Em
                Head Fluffer
                • May 2005

Blackhawks vs. Pens outside at Soldier Field tonight... Could be a Stanley Cup Finals Preview!!!!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Miller, Ott additions may be the 11 to push the Blues over the cliff...

Ryan Miller Trade Launches St. Louis Blues to Stanley Cup Favorites
                  By Mark Jones , Featured Columnist
                  Feb 28, 2014

The St. Louis Blues added 2014's most sought-after NHL trade target to their arsenal Friday night with the acquisition of Ryan Miller.

According to the team's website, the Blues acquired goaltender Miller and center Steve Ott from the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for goaltender Jaroslav Halak, winger Chris Stewart, prospect William Carrier, a 2015 first-round pick and a 2016 third-round pick.

Mark Buckner/Getty Images

The Blues, already second in the Western Conference entering Friday with 84 points (39-13-6) in 58 games, should immediately jump to the top of the list of Stanley Cup favorites.

Netminding has long been considered a shortcoming of this stacked St. Louis roster, which currently ranks second in the league in goals for and third in goals against. Jaroslav Halak, while a solid backstop overall, was simply never going to be able to keep up with the likes of Jonathan Quick or Tuukka Rask.

That final hole has now been filled by Miller, the 33-year-old veteran who has recorded terrific numbers on a largely bottom-feeding Sabres squad for a decade now. In an equal number of starts (40) in 2013-14, Miller has already made 384 more saves (9.6 more per game) than Halak.

Miller vs. Halak by Season Season Miller Save Percentage Halak Save Percentage
                  2009-10 .929 .924
                  2010-11 .916 .910
                  2011-12 .916 .926
                  2012-13 .915 .899
                  2013-14 .923 .917

Per NHL.com Stat Database

Unlike many of their fellow top-of-the-standings competitors, the Blues have found success through balance.

They boast a whopping five players with 14 or more goals and nine players (including three defensemen) within 12 of Alexander Steen's team-leading 46 points.

Such even distribution of production not only reduces the potential effects of injuries but also provides remarkable consistency to the team overall—the Blues are the only team in the NHL to have earned at least a point (24-0-3) in every game when leading after the first period.

Ott, who ranked sixth on the Sabres with 20 points in 59 games prior to the deal, will now join the offensive cast as a highly capable third-line center. He has plenty of leadership experience, having served as Buffalo's captain since the Thomas Vanek trade in October, and led Buffalo in both hits and faceoff percentage.

While Miller will surely capture the headlines Friday, the impacts of 28-year-old Ott should not be overlooked in the months ahead.

Yet defense remains the Blues' ultimate staple: they've allowed the fewest or second-fewest shots against for three consecutive campaigns.

Alex Pietrangelo, Kevin Shattenkirk and Jay Bouwmeester together comprise the most unheralded and arguably the best trio of rearguards in North America.

Now, at long last, an undeniably elite goaltender will be standing tall behind them.

In 24 appearances since Nov. 20, Miller has posted a save percentage of .903 or better on 21 occasions. He also sports the experience of two Conference Finals in 2006 and 2007, along with the motivation supplied by spending roughly the last seven years on an utterly horrendous team.

St. Louis general manager Doug Armstrong will surely hope that Miller can guide his new club deeper into the playoffs than Halak and Brian Elliot have the previous two springs, as the Blues have been eliminated by the Los Angeles Kings short of the Conference Finals in back-to-back postseasons.

No matter what the months ahead reveal, however, it remains undeniable that Armstrong and the Blues have made their splash and their statement at the trade deadline.

If the Blues weren't already Cup favorites yesterday, they most certainly are now.

Bleacher Report

Comment

• Take 'Em
                    Head Fluffer
                    • May 2005

That is huge for the Blues.. If they can keep their heads and stay out of the penalty box, they should go far in the playoffs.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Miller is already facing a lot less shots. I think he had like an average of 60 in a recent three-game stretch. Both Sabres goalies, Enroth and Neurvith, faced nearly 90 in two games...

Comment

• Take 'Em
                        Head Fluffer
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                        Miller is already facing a lot less shots. I think he had like an average of 60 in a recent three-game stretch. Both Sabres goalies, Enroth and Neurvith, faced nearly 90 in two games...
                        Good, cause the Blackhawks play the Sabres tonight. Pour it on em..........

Comment

• Take 'Em
                          Head Fluffer
                          • May 2005

The 3 game suspension that Seabrook got is total bullshit. He should only have gotten fined as he is not a repeat offender. The Hawks better get their act together tonight and play their asses off.

Comment

• Von Halen
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Take 'Em
                            The 3 game suspension that Seabrook got is total bullshit. He should only have gotten fined as he is not a repeat offender. The Hawks better get their act together tonight and play their asses off.
                            Dude, that was a nasty shot. I'm not at all surprised he got 3 games.

Comment

• Take 'Em
                              Head Fluffer
                              • May 2005

Originally posted by Von Halen
                              So, Seabrook gets blindsided in the head and misses 2 games in a prior playoff series by Torres and the only call is a minor penalty on the ice. League issues no suspension.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                                ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Von Halen
                                Yep...should have been 4 or more for sure. 5 games would be a minimum in my book

You can't launch yourself off your feet into someone's head...especially when they never touched the puck...or have possession...an inadvertant touch does not constitute possession.

I don't like Duncan Keith's stickwork either. He is a great player but knocked down a dozen notches in my book for that unecessary stuff and his comment to Backes as he lay there after that hit: "Wakey wakey"

Unreal.
                                sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

Working...