Page 15 of 68 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282965 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official NHL Thread

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Just watched Canucks v. Pittsburgh.

Gotta give Crosby credit. He challenges everyone. Got smacked around all night and kept coming back for more.

But, if he does that he can't embellish when he gets hit back. Saw a bit of that tonight but not that bad.

They should call up someone to play on his line who can play smart and hit. Kid can't take 40 more games of this and not get hurt.

Ouellet looked really good.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by DavidFlamma

But, if he does that he can't embellish when he gets hit back. Saw a bit of that tonight but not that bad.

I'm not the only one who thinks this:

"He got frustrated out there," said the Canucks' Brendan Morrison, who scored a goal and set up Bertuzzi's goal. "When you play against a guy like that who's a good competitor and wants to win, plays with an edge, sometimes that is to your advantage.

"If you're going to give a hit you have to expect to be hit."

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Yeah, that's a fair assessment...

But he's getting hacked every night, to the point of drawing blood...

What's he supposed to do ??

But I agree, they have to get a linemate that's not afraid to light people up....

And Ouellet, he's just a born sniper....

He's the NHL version of Cris Carter, "all he does is score goals"....
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I give him huge props because he's trying to do SOMETHING to help his team.

Those who critisize decision to give him A are on glue. Who else is trying to get team out of funk?

I just don't want to see him act tough and then dive for sake of helping team get a power play. Team needs to help him and back him up, right now.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, the way things are going now, they may be looking at a #2 draft pick, depending on the lottery selections...

So, with Malkin as the #2 center next year, and if I were GM, I'd grab Erik Johnson with the draft pick for another good young Dman (no, I would not draft Kessel ahead of him), and some "new NHL" free agents, things will start looking up....

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Pens trade for Eric Cairns...he is sure to kick the shit out of people who dare touch Crosby.

Palfy is gone...that can only help.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Pens trade for Eric Cairns...he is sure to kick the shit out of people who dare touch Crosby.

Some of the people on the various hockey boards don't like it, mainly because they already have Roy and Vandenbussche, but Cairns is plain fucking nasty....

As for Ziggy's retirement, he had really slowed down after a good start... He's saying his shoulder is the main reason, but I've also heard his father is ailing in Slovakia as well.....

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Excellent article on the Cairns trade and Crosby by Bob McKenzie, really hits the nail on the head....

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp

Open season on Crosby

TSN.ca Staff

1/18/2006

It's obvious why the Pittsburgh Penguins traded for tough guy Eric Cairns, because the word on the street was out there, loud and clear all over the NHL: it's open season on Sidney Crosby.

Forget for a moment what you think of Sid the kid. You may be among those who thinks Crosby is a precocious, petulant prima dona with a bad temper, or you may be in the group who believes he's an ultra-competitive superstar franchise player with dynamic qualities.

What matters right now, though, is what happened on Monday night when the Vancouver Canucks ran roughshod over Crosby every chance they got and what happened was nothing.

For reasons only the Pittsburgh penguins ownership, management and players can explain, the Penguins' best player -- there's no debating that point, by the way -- was offered no protection from Bryan Allen and the other Canucks who targeted him for extra physical abuse.

The Penguins might as well have slapped one of those homemade "hit me" signs on Crosby's back as he took to the ice.

Now, did Crosby handle the abuse well? No, he didn't and -- ding, ding, ding, ding -- isn't that the point?

Rival NHL players, coaches and GMs have been talking non-stop for the past couple of days about what happened to Crosby. Some noted that he was lucky Canuck defenceman Kevin Bieksa didn't punch out his lights.

Others expressed concern that Crosby could have been seriously hurt. Opposing players duly noted Crosby's composure was totally shot, but to a man, they were all absolutely astonished that an NHL team would leave an 18-year-old franchise player to fend for himself.

Enter Eric Cairns, whose job is to ride shotgun for Crosby, it's about time, too.

There's no mystery to the game plan that was being employed against Pittsburgh. Beat up Crosby, watch him snap and neutralize the Pens' best player. The Vancouver game wasn't the exception, it's been the rule.

From Derian Hatcher high-sticking Crosby to Ilya Kovalchuk running him, and mocking him, to the Canuck gauntlet Crosby had to run on Monday night, the Penguins have shown what they're made of.

Not much.

If this pattern of abuse was perpetrated on Jason Spezza, Eric Staal or Alexander Ovechkin, there would be a response of some sort and it sure as heck wouldn't be "the meek shall inherit the earth."

Aside from the long overdue addition of a guy like Cairns, all this really illustrates is how dysfunctional this Penguin franchise is, from owner Mario Lemieux to general manager Craig Patrick to head coach Michel Therrien to the players in the dressing room.

Whatever errors in judgment the precocious Crosby may have made, on or off the ice, and no doubt he has made some, they pale in comparison to the systemic pattern of neglect the Penguins' organization has demonstrated with their prodigy.

For TSN.ca, I'm Bob McKenzie

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ovechkin: Goal of the Year ??

Check this shit out....

http://www.rh71.com/Projects/Ovechkin/

Click on the 32nd Goal to download it....

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

I hear the trade-rumor winds are a swirlin' in Western Canada this evening with the SABRES on their extended road trip. RICK JENNERET, the SABRES combustible, legendary play-by-play man, was called by a couple of papers in VANCOUVER regarding a deal for BIRON.

But the SABRES claim the best they've been offered is only a 2nd-round pick for him. We'll see...

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    I hear the trade-rumor winds are a swirlin' in Western Canada this evening with the SABRES on their extended road trip. RICK JENNERET, the SABRES combustible, legendary play-by-play man, was called by a couple of papers in VANCOUVER regarding a deal for BIRON.

But the SABRES claim the best they've been offered is only a 2nd-round pick for him. We'll see...

Biron wants to be THE MAN. He will get the chance here. Auld is good, but not yet ready for the #1.

Thing about Biron, take away his 13-game winning streak, and all you have is an average goalie.

Still, the city would welcome him with open arms.

We don't want to lose a Jovo or Bert to get Theodore/Luongo, although it could be the way to go. I like both of those players too much...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Biron wants to be THE MAN. He will get the chance here. Auld is good, but not yet ready for the #1.

Thing about Biron, take away his 13-game winning streak, and all you have is an average goalie.

Still, the city would welcome him with open arms.

We don't want to lose a Jovo or Bert to get Theodore/Luongo, although it could be the way to go. I like both of those players too much...
    That's pretty true. BIRON has had a journeyman career so far. But he is for real, I've never seen him so focused as during that streak, he also was much more durable than he had been in the past. One of the biggest knocks against him was that he's too small to be a frontline, starting NHL goalie. But he's showed he can do it night in and night out. I think he'd be better off starting for someone, he gets rusty on that bench, too good to sit on it...

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
    They're not selling them with an "A" in Pittsburgh yet, I just bought one for my son at XMAS time...
    Its gonna be a collectors item very soon.

Pens are now up for sale.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Don't read into it....

It was very much an expected course of events...

Mario has said from day one that he would eventually sell the team...

In addition, all of these hockey "experts" who spout off about the Penguins moving need to realize that ANY group that buys the team MUST agree to go along with the gaming plan that they've already applied for, that keeps the team in the Burgh...

It all STILL boils down to getting the slots license....

Now if the Pens' group doesn't get the license, Mario just stated yesterday that it won't be he that moved the team....

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Don't read into it....

It was very much an expected course of events...

Mario has said from day one that he would eventually sell the team...

In addition, all of these hockey "experts" who spout off about the Penguins moving need to realize that ANY group that buys the team MUST agree to go along with the gaming plan that they've already applied for, that keeps the team in the Burgh...

It all STILL boils down to getting the slots license....

Now if the Pens' group doesn't get the license, Mario just stated yesterday that it won't be he that moved the team....
    If they don't get the Slots license, it doesn't look good for them.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

City will give him the license.

They have too much to lose. One thing to not fund stadium, but quite another to essentially send team packing.

Mario is such a hero for staying loyal to team for this long. He has payed a huge financial price, with deferred salaries from over a decade ago, taking equity in team instead.

I hope the guy can approach break-even, considering more lucrative investments he could have been involved in

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, not just too keep the Pens there, but their proposal is clearly the best for the city...

One BILLION dollar revitalization project in that section of the city....

Thousands of new jobs....

100% of the money for the new arena will come from the investors, absolutely no money from the city/state...

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So it;s January 22 and, of course, that signifies the end of inter-conference play in the NHL?

What?

Best to fix this before next year. It sure was nice to see the mighty Nucks score six goals in 14 minutes to put away the Habs in the first period.

You would not believe the number of Hab/Maple Lafs fans in the stands when they come to town. They were pretty quiet last night.

I guess the Rangers, Philly, and other Eastern teams are running this league now. There are some great Canadian rivalries that have to wait 3 years to resume???
    I think not.

Canucks are 9-1 against their weaker sister Eastern conference.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ok, the officiating is really starting to piss me off.

Sure Detroit was the better team tonight against Vancouver...

But the winning goal came on a power play for the most subtle of hooks against Morrison.

Fuck! I wouldn't want to win that way...where is the glory?

Refs need to be able to have discretion. If it affects play significantly then call those borderline calls.

I know I know, they just shouldn't use their sticks. It just makes game suffer for such an anti-climactic ending

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Canucks are 9-1 against their weaker sister Eastern conference.
    Yes, but they have a really interesting habit of shitting the bed against scrub teams like the Columbus Blue Jackets...

Championship teams DON'T!
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 01-27-2006 at 06:39 AM.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    Yes, but they have a really interesting habit of shitting the bed against scrub teams like the Columbus Blue Jackets...

Championship teams DON'T!
    You are so right...

Something is wrong with Canucks. I think we have too many people thinking about the Olympics.

Not just Canadian, but Naslund is a major part of Swedish team ans he has to decide whether he will rest so he can heal or continue playing and perhaps hurt the Canucks.

Top line is just not performing, and it's hard to say why. Bert is inconsistent and Morrison has been just average. 2nd line of Sedins and Carter has been playing more because they are scoring and this has taken time away from top unit. Maybe this is causing friction and just not the same amount of time on the ice to make an impact?

Crawford has to go, I think and we need a goalie. Maybe Toronto will trade us coaches. Also Bert for Sundin!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

All they need is Marty BIRON + Taylor PYATT for some of your size and experience, and all will be right with them.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

NIce to see the Captain get an assist on the game winner last night....

Shannahan is closing in on the alltime game winning goal spot....

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Matt White
    NIce to see the Captain get an assist on the game winner last night....

Shannahan is closing in on the alltime game winning goal spot....
    That is an impressive stat!

He seemed genuinely surprised when an interviewer mentioned that he was 10 game winners behind Brett Hull

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

PLaying with HULL in St .Louis made him into a goal scorer......

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It hard to believe that it's been 20 years since YZERMAN was named team captain.......

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Looks like he's 12 years old in that pic....not 21....
    Last edited by Matt White; 01-27-2006 at 12:51 PM.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Matt White
    It hard to believe that it's been 20 years since YZERMAN was named team captain.......
    Dude Beat the Canucks by himself on one leg in the playoffs.

Can't believe the heart! Atta boy Stevie Y!

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Alright Pens in a shootout...

Satan...makes Fleury look like a bitch...

fucking week ass shit from Pens...DiPietro stuffs it...

Hunter easy score on Fleury

and that's the game...as DiPietro stuffs again...

Crosby left on the bench...whould have had the third shot...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

SATAN often makes himself look like a bitch...

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Holy shit! The Canucks are starting to look like a real team again.

The first line is playing for shit, but the rest of the team is a rockin'

The rookies, Bouck, Kessler, Burrows are taking it to every team they play forechecking like a mother!

Kessler went toe to toe with Iginla, a good fighter, for over a minute.

Then, for good measure, Kessler scored the game winner.

Canucks are 1st place in the best division in hockey (for today anyway)

Got to have the kids making the vets worry about their jobs.

Sedins and Carter line look like they can score on every shift and always win the battles on the boards.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

LOL, it fucking figures...

The Pens/Canes game in Raleigh that I DON'T go to, the Pens win....

So that means, with my shitty luck, when my son and I go to D.C. tomorrow, they'll get smoked.....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Yo Va...here's the shitter...

I get to work today...and my teammate offers me 4 tickets. I immediately think I should give you a buzz...and realize that my palm and cell are at home...

I call my wife...and she's not answering the damn phone. Don't get her until 3:00...by then, the tickets were gone...so I'm walking out, and another parent hands me 2 more tickets...and a parking pass...

Wife works tonight, so I call the arena and say, I only have 2 tickets, which turned out to be one to less, figuring the little one could get in for free. I was wrong.

So I sat on 6 TICKETS FOR THE GAME...

all lower level...and like I said...freakin' free parking as well...

such is life...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

LOL, I think this "VA is a jinx" concept is starting to hold....

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

LOL, I think this "VA is a jinx" concept is starting to hold....
    MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION....

THE VA JINX HAS BEEN BROKEN !!!!

Holy schnikees, my son and I had a great time in D.C. last night watching the Pens whoop up on the Caps again, 6-3....

It was the 1st time that the Pens have won when I've seen them in person....

Probably 4 or 5 thousand Pens fans out of the 18,000 sold out crowd there.... Always throngs of Pens fans at Caps games, whether it was at the old Cap Centre or downtown at the MCI Center...

BTW, very convenient location.... Metro station right underneath the building, plenty of places to drink and eat around the arena before/after the game...

Possible future road trip location Poj....

While standing at the entrance to the ice where the players out before the pre-game skate, we were talking with Dan Potash of FSN Pittsburgh... I told him he needed to bring Trenni Kusinerek along next time...

VERY ROUGH game, it was great.... The Caps were still pissed over Whitney's spearing of Ovechkin in the last game in the 'Burgh, so the hits were hard and plenty....

Couple of good fights, with Roy and Cairns winning both convincingly....

Pens went up 5-0 before they started putting the 3rd and 4th lines in there for most of the remainder of the game, especially on the PP...

The Pens' buddy Ollie Kolzig was hearing it from the Pens fans, "Oll-ie, Oll-ie"... Terrible Towels waving all over the place....

Of course, that pesky 9 inches of snow made it a little hairy driving back home this morning, but they did a good job of plowing I-95....

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 06:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

After the Olympics, the Leafs are going to make the playoffs and then win the Cup!
    OK, maybe not....

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

We'll just see if they do their annual good job at the trade deadline...

They're gonna need it....

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

A fucking embarrassing start for the US of A.....

Fucking Latvia...

http://www.sportsline.com/olympics/winter/story/9238281

Inauspicious opener: U.S. loses lead, ties Latvia Feb. 15, 2006
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

TURIN, Italy -- John Grahame watched the movie "Miracle" almost 100 times during the NHL lockout.

The way the U.S. hockey team played against Latvia in the Olympic opener, Grahame and his teammates might need another miracle for history to repeat itself.

Jordan Leopold scored early in the third period, and the American team with a roster full of NHL players only managed a 3-3 tie against the underdog Latvia.

When the final horn sounded, the Latvian players raised their arms in triumph while the Americans slowly gathered around goalie Grahame.

"We were not expected to win or even get the tie," said former NHL goalie Arturs Irbe, who made 39 saves -- 18 in the third period -- for Latvia. "We were big-time underdogs in this game in everybody's eyes except our own people.

"You can say that this probably means more to us than to the American team."

Latvia, with only two current NHL players, rallied from an early two-goal deficit and proved U.S. coach Peter Laviolette had every reason to be worried about this opening matchup in Olympic Group B.

Latvia had the luxury of playing mostly as a team in recent weeks, while the U.S. squad was scattered around North America. Only two American players were in Italy by Monday and the team had just one practice before hitting the ice Wednesday night.

On the flip side, their opponents -- who finished ninth in Salt Lake City four years ago -- had practiced together since Feb. 5.

"A lot of guys just got off the flight yesterday. There's no excuses but that's the reality," Grahame said.

The United States will play Thursday against Kazakhstan. Latvia will face Slovakia.

Latvia's biggest offensive star was Anaheim defenseman Sandis Ozolinsh, who had two assists in his first game since November. He was sidelined by a knee injury and then was in the league's substance-abuse program until being reinstated Tuesday.

"I was pretty excited," he said. "Just the usual feelings."

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And the Canucks open with the powerhouse that is Italian hockey...

http://www.sportsline.com/olympics/winter/story/9236793

Iginla scores two, Canada cruises past Italy Feb. 15, 2006

TURIN, Italy -- Jarome Iginla started these Olympics the same way he ended them in Salt Lake City -- with two goals -- and gold medal favorite Canada survived a brief scare with a more-than-dominating second period in a 7-2 rout of Italy in its tournament opener Wednesday.

With troubled team executive Wayne Gretzky looking on nervously from a private box high up in the grandstands, Canada was locked in a surprising 1-all tie early in the second period. Or right about the time the soon-to-be-overwhelmed Italians realized who they were playing.

Canada, using its overwhelming speed and stickhandling ability to create dozens of scoring chances in the second period alone, scored five consecutive goals in a span of 13½ minutes to turn the unexpectedly close game into the anticipated rout.

Dany Heatley, Shane Doan, Iginla, Martin St. Louis and Brad Richards all scored in the second, with Iginla getting his second of the game and fourth in two Olympic games. He was the star of Canada's 5-2 gold-medal win over the United States in 2002 with two goals.

St. Louis and Richards are NHL teammates with Tampa Bay, and fellow Lightning star Vincent Lecavalier also played a strong game by setting up two goals.

Canada, sluggish at the start as it played barely 24 hours after arriving in Turin, got off 28 shots on long-ago NHL goalie Jason Muzzatti in the second period alone and 50 overall in exactly the kind of tuneup coach Pat Quinn was hoping for.

Muzzatti, who played briefly with four NHL teams, wears images of Pope John Paul II and the Virgin Mary on his mask, but even they weren't of much help against the strong Canadians.

Still, it appeared for a while that Canada might get off to another dreadful start, as it did by losing 5-2 to Sweden in its first game in Salt Lake City in 2002 before recovering to win its first gold medal in 50 years.

That Italy scored not once but twice against goalie Martin Brodeur on goals by Jason Cirone and John Parco was a stunner in itself. The Italians, known locally as the Azzurri, don't have a single NHL player on a roster in which half their players are native North Americans.

What the Italians didn't have was the quality defensemen and goaltending needed to slow a Canadian team so talented it has six different NHL captains on its roster -- including Team Canada captain Joe Sakic, who set up two goals.

Italy, whose players mostly come from the Italian league or other European leagues, scored as many goals against Brodeur as the New York Islanders did in beating Brodeur's Devils 2-1 Saturday night. Among Italy's player is 41-year-old Lucio Topatigh, who is playing in his fourth Olympics and is known as his country's "Mr. Hockey" -- the same distinction Gretzky has in Canada.

Gretzky, reprising his 2002 role as Team Canada's executive director, has been under considerable scrutiny because of his link to an alleged sports gambling ring led by Rick Tocchet, Gretzky's assistant coach with the Phoenix Coyotes. Gretzky repeated Tuesday in Turin that he was not involved and the issue is "over and done with."

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Another surprise, the Russkies lose... Not as big a shock as Latvia, Slovakia's got some snipers, like Gaborik and Bondra....

http://www.sportsline.com/olympics/winter/story/9237898

Gaborik delivers Slovakian upset of Russia Feb. 15, 2006

TURIN, Italy -- Marian Gaborik beat two defenders on a rush out of his own zone with 3½ minutes remaining, and Slovakia pulled off the first upset of the Olympic hockey tournament by beating Russia 4-3 Wednesday night.

Gaborik raced down the right wing boards, broke toward the net at the right circle and beat goalie Ilya Bryzgalov with a wrist shot that flew inside the far post. Then, to seal one of the biggest wins in his country's history, Gaborik -- of the Minnesota Wild -- scored again in nearly identical fashion from the opposite circle with 29 seconds remaining.

The loss was the latest disappointment in international play for the talented Russians, who have had repeated breakdowns in big tournaments in recent years.

The loss doesn't mean the Russians can't medal, but puts pressure on them to not lose again in their remaining four games in group play. The Russians, who got the bronze in 2002, must come back and play talented Sweden on Thursday, only 18 hours after losing to Slovakia.

Slovakia didn't make it out of Olympic qualifying round play in 2002 because most of its top players were playing in the NHL and weren't excused in time. But with a full cast on hand and a different format that eliminated those play-in games this time, its quality forwards give it a chance in every game.

As Russia soon found out.

Pavol Demitra scored nine minutes in to give Slovakia a 1-0 lead ahead of Pavel Datsyuk's tying goal for Russia. The Slovaks twice came back from one-goal deficits in the second period on power play goals by Lubomir Visnovsky and Peter Bondra. Alex Kovalev and NHL rookie star Alexander Ovechkin had put Russia ahead with goals.

The victory led hundreds of Slovak fans, many dressed in wild colors, to cheer wildly, dance in the stands and chant for five minutes after the game.

Thread Information