• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • guwapo_rocker

Mogilny makes a deal with the Devils

Another Leaf gone.

Associated Press

8/17/2005 12:03:07 AM

Alexander Mogilny, the right winger who earned a Stanley Cup ring with New Jersey, signed a $7-million US, two-year contract Tuesday night to return to the Devils.

Mogilny came to the Devils late in the 1999-00 season and helped New Jersey to its second championship with four goals and three assists in the playoffs.

He came back strong the following season and had the third best offensive year of his career, posting 43 goals and 83 points in 75 games. But he left in the off-season, signing a free agent deal with Toronto where he spent the last three seasons.

Mogilny had other options this time around in the free-agent market, but jumped at the chance to return to the Devils.

"New Jersey has always been a front-runner for me and I always wanted to come back," he said Tuesday night from California.

Mogilny was limited to just 37 games during the 2003-04 regular season following a second operation on his arthritic left hip. There were reports that he might quit playing, but the 36-year-old said he never considered retirement.

He has been skating all summer in Russia and Los Angeles and convinced Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello that he has completely healed.

"We're 100 per cent comfortable that he is 100 per cent healthy," Lamoriello said.

Mogilny spent his first six NHL seasons with the Buffalo Sabres and had a breakout year in 1992-93 when he netted an NHL-best 76 goals and set up 51 others. He then had 55 goals and 52 assists during the 1995-96 season - his first of four-plus with the Vancouver Canucks.

"If there's any one player capable of breaking a game open at any given time, he certainly is that. His skating certainly is exceptional. We know what he can bring as far as making other people better."

Mogilny worked very well with young forward Scott Gomez during his first stint with the Devils and will now provide offensive insurance should Patrik Elias be out for any length of time following a bout with hepatitis A.

Elias is believed to have fallen ill while playing in Russia during the NHL lockout. He lost 30 pounds and was hospitalized in the Czech Republic for almost a month earlier this year.

"We all know what he has and we all know what the time frame is," Lamoriello said. "It could be short, it could be a little longer. ... It's the doctors' call, not our call."

Mogilny has 461 goals and 1,007 points in 956 NHL games.

"We're a better hockey team today with him in the lineup than we are without him," Lamoriello said.

The signing puts the Devils over the $39-million US salary cap, but less than the 10 per cent maximum. Lamoriello said the club will be back under the threshold before the Oct. 1 deadline.

New Jersey still has room to re-sign captain Scott Stevens should he decide to come back following concussion problems that cut short his last season.

Link

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Free agent Carter to sign with Canucks

Here ya go Flamma

Canadian Press with TSN.ca files

8/17/2005 12:21:15 AM

The Vancouver Canucks are expected to sign winger Anson Carter to a $1-million, one-year deal, sources told The Canadian Press on Tuesday night.

Carter, 31, has 158 goals and 180 assists in eight NHL seasons with Los Angeles, Boston, Washington, Edmonton and the New York Rangers.

He scored 15 goals and 28 points over 77 games in 2003-2004 with the New York Rangers, Washington Capitals and Los Angeles Kings.

His biggest career highlight came two summers ago, when he scored the winning goal in the gold-medal game for Canada at the 2003 World Hockey Championship.

Carter was traded by Edmonton, along with Ales Pisa, to New York in March 2003 for forward Radek Dvorak and defenseman Cory Cross. At the time of the deal, he led the Oilers with 25 goals and 55 points.

Carter was dealt twice in 2004, as the Capitals acquired him from New York for Jaromir Jagr and later shipped him to the Kings for Jared Aulin.

Link

Comment

• Romeo Delight
        ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

West is Best (except for Pitt)

Nonis is starting to make his mark on the Canucks and I like it!

Anson Carter for one million!!!, Keep going...

With Edmonton and Calgary signings we need to keep pace.

I just worry we are going to kick the shit out of each other and the East will just win by default for Lord Stanley's mug.

Naaa...just trying to make Toronto fans feel better (if only for a second)
        sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Shit

Comment

• Full Bug
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

Re: West is Best (except for Pitt)

Originally posted by DavidFlamma

Save your pity for teams that need it, Toronto will do alright.....I hope....
            Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Re: Re: West is Best (except for Pitt)

Originally posted by Full Bug
              Save your pity for teams that need it, Toronto will do alright.....I hope....
              Stoned again huh Bug......

Comment

• Thorman
                Commando
                • Apr 2005

I just worry we are going to kick the shit out of each other and the East will just win by default for Lord Stanley's mug.

He is making some good moves and certainly by keeping the core intact he was one of the few GM's able to do that..I like his style so far and Carter could be a good addition.

As for TO...I really do believe they are in some trouble. The moves they have made are pretty risky. Im not sure if I would go in that direction or not but imo they could be in some trouble

BAM

http://www.topthat.net/webrock/sounds/bamm.wav

Comment

• Full Bug
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jan 2004

Re: Re: Re: West is Best (except for Pitt)

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
                  Stoned again huh Bug......
                  Not at all, fuck you for implying it.....
                  I guess you base everything on what you hear, I havent smoked anything in almost a year, is that good enough for you?
                  Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• Full Bug
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jan 2004

Sorry GR, I guess I am getting a little fed up with everyone thinking I am a 24 hour stoner, that lifestyle was dead almost 10 years ago for me....

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

Couple of different ways to look at this...

One, Stumpel may have gotten tired of waiting for the Malkin situation to clear up...

Or two, the Pens may have gotten an indication that the Malkin situation will be cleared up, and told Stumpel they won't need his services...

Or three, Keenan overpaid for him...

Panthers sign Jozef Stumpel

TSN.ca Staff

8/17/2005 6:23:26 PM

The Florida Panthers announced Wednesday that the club has signed centre Jozef Stumpel to a two-year contract.

''Jozef is another player that adds depth and experience to our team,'' said Panther general manager Mike Keenan. ''He is a proven playmaker who has the ability to play at both ends of the ice. This acquisition gives us flexibility in our line-up as he can play centre or on the wing, as well as on our special teams.''

Stumpel, 33, has appeared in 758 career NHL contests for both the Boston Bruins (1991-97 & 2001-03) and the Los Angeles Kings (1997-2000 & 2003-04) scoring 151 goals with 397 assists.

The Nitra, Slovakia native has notched more than 50 points seven times throughout his 11-year NHL playing career, including four consecutive 50 point seasons (1999-2003). He recorded a career best 79 points while with the Kings during the 1997-98 campaign.

Stumpel also has extensive experience playing in International play, representing Slovakia in the Olympics, World Cup and World Championship competition. He was drafted by Boston with their 2nd choice (40th overall) in the 1991 NHL Entry Draft.
                      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Full Bug
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jan 2004

Damm Beach, why not just rename this thread the Penquins thread?
                        I'm this close to starting a Leafs thread on its own, lol....
                        Your last post wasnt about the Pens, but you know it will be the next one, lol....

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                          • Dec 2003

Don't snap at me, you frustrated Leafs fan....

I can see it now, the 2005 Toronto Maple Leafs thread, sponsored by Geritol....

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                            ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Full Bug
                            Damm Beach, why not just rename this thread the Penquins thread?
                            I'm this close to starting a Leafs thread on its own, lol....
                            Your last post wasnt about the Pens, but you know it will be the next one, lol....

Start a leafs thread???

About what???!!!

Who to draft #1 next year:p

(I'm loving the karma!!)
                            sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Full Bug
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                              Don't snap at me, you frustrated Leafs fan....

I can see it now, the 2005 Toronto Maple Leafs thread, sponsored by Geritol....
                              Thats it, Domi is a friend of mine, going to send him to punch your lights out.....
                              I'm gonna laugh when even though the Pens have added so much they still wont make the playoffs.....

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                                • Dec 2003

Let me note that....

Aug. 18, 7:08AM.....

Comment

Working...