X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt White
    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Takeem5
    Hell yeah man!
    How many seasons did Gretsky play together with Mcsorley? Yzerman with Probert? They need to let the guys play the damn game the way God intended. With goal scorers and tough guys..

Yup...THe CAPTAIN was unscratched for the first 10+ years of his career...he had PROBERT...and KOCUR...and JERRY GALANT ridding shot-gun........

Let 'em play.....

Comment

• Romeo Delight
      ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Ok...I am really starting to hate The Atlanta Thrasher's Kovalchuk. It's one thing to hot dog after a goal with a great celebration. But to call out Crosby like that...dude is going to pay a price.

Crosby does have to stop embellishing (diving). It is un-Canadian and he doesn't need to do it. I really want him to get over on Kovalchuk...Help him VA.

Anyone see Vancouver v. Calgary? Like a playoff game. Unreal! Game turned when Vancouver went down 3-1 in 3rd and team started hitting everything that moved. Outstanding game! Calgary is looking like favourite for Cup though. So strong on D, goal, and 4 strong, hard-working lines. Wait until Iginla starts to get his shit together...
      sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Romeo Delight
        ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Crosby needs someone on his line who can pummel some sob who wants to cross-check him.

Fucking NHL and their Instigator rule. I say fuck it and lay waste to pussies who want to cheap-shot Crosby. Season is done anyway. Fans will love it and cowards will learn a most valuable lesson.

Has to be done.
        sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

He got called for diving last night on an absolutely BULLSHIT call.... It was fucking HORRIBLE....

Then, the ref stares down Crosby in the penalty box until Crosby says something, and gives him another 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct...

As far as the retaliation, I agree 100%.... I was so disappointed (but not surprised) that no one got in Kovalchuk's face at all last night... Talbot tried WITH 1 SECOND LEFT IN THE GAME, ridiculous...

They've got a couple of decent enforcers in Andre Roy and Vandenbussche (on injured list), but Roy was only on the ice for a handful of shifts....

But I agree, this treatment is going to continue until it becomes clear that it won't be condoned....

I was actually surprised this morning that it looks like Don Cherry is coming around in his comments about Crosby;

Cherry slams Kovalchuk for taunting Sid

TORONTO (CP) - For once, Don Cherry came to the defence of Pittsburgh Penguins star Sidney Crosby during his Coach's Corner segment Saturday night.

Cherry, the popular Hockey Night in Canada commentator, has long been critical of Crosby. But on Saturday night Cherry criticized Russian Ilya Kovalchuk for taunting Crosby during Atlanta's 6-4 win Friday night over Pittsburgh.

Kovalchuk scored three goals in the game. Following his second goal, which came after Crosby was sent off with his second slashing penalty of the game, Kovalchuk turned and pointed a finger toward Crosby stepping back on the ice.

"I've seen a lot of things in my life but I've never seen a guy pointing to a guy in the penalty box," Cherry said. "Someone should've broken his (Kovalchuk's) arm but they didn't."

During the segment, Cherry also showed film clips of Crosby having to fend for himself against a lot of extra attention from the Thrashers.

"I'm starting to like Crosby more and more because he doesn't back down," Cherry said. "They (Pittsburgh) absolutely have to get somebody to ride shotgun with him.

"He's an 18-year-old kid...this is ridiculous."

Cherry has often been critical of Crosby.

Last month, he questioned the logic of the Penguins making Crosby, 18, an alternate captain in his first NHL season.

During the 2003-04 season, he called Crosby a "hotdog" after showing video of a trick goal he scored while playing for the Rimouski Oceanic of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

Cherry also questioned Crosby's decision to skip the Top Prospects game in January and earlier this season accused him of being a diver.
          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ALinChainz
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

The kids is 18.

Kovalchuk is having a good season after a slow start, but how about some sportsmanship.

This was obviously out of jealousy of the attention the kid is getting from the league as it's "savior".

Comment

• ALinChainz
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Rangers obtain Petr Sykora from Anaheim for Maxim Kondratiev

January 8, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- The New York Rangers obtained forward Petr Sykora and a 2007 fourth-round draft choice from the Anaheim Mighty Ducks in exchange for defenseman Maxim Kondratiev.

Rangers president and general manager Glen Sather announced the deal Sunday.

The 29-year-old Sykora has scored at least 20 goals in each of his last six NHL seasons. He appeared in 34 games with Anaheim this season, with seven goals and 13 assists.

The move adds yet another Czech native to the Rangers, who already have Jaromir Jagr, Martin Straka, Martin Rucinsky and rookie Petr Prucha. Sykora will be eligible for unrestricted free agency after this season.

The 22-year-old Kondratiev appeared in 29 games with the Rangers this season, with one goal and two assists.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

What a shocker, another Czech for the Rangers...

Sykora was a frickin' sniper when he played for the Devils, this trade should help out the Rangers a lot....

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Fairwrning
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

not a hockey fan but just saw this on sportscenter...
                  A stranger in hockey equipment jumped on the ice during practice and shot a puck at Canadiens goalie Jose Theodore.

Comment

• Fairwrning
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

great shit..guy just dressses up ang starts shooting at the goalie

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

Yeah, I read that on one of the Canadian sites...

Of course, they razzed him that he finally made a save.....

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                        ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by DavidFlamma
                        Leafs suck balls

That's right!
                        sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                          ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
                          January 10th, I'll take the Leafs for $20.00 Flamma.

Looks like I've stumbled upon a new money-generating opportunity for the site.

Expert recap and game analysis of the Vancouver Canucks vs. Toronto Maple Leafs NHL game from January 10, 2006 on ESPN.

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) -- Alexandre Burrows scored his first career goal to help the Vancouver Canucks beat the Toronto Maple Leafs 4-3 on Tuesday night.

The Canucks fourth line of Burrows, fellow rookie Ryan Kesler and Matt Cooke drew the assignment of checking the Maple Leafs top line and not only shutdown the trio of Mats Sundin, Tie Domi and Alex Steen, but outscored them in the process.

The Canucks trailed 2-1 after the first period, but battled back on goals by Cooke and Burrows, playing in just his fifth NHL game, to take the lead heading into the third period.

Vancouver goalie Alex Auld, who picked up his 16th win of the season, held the Leafs at bay in the third period, allowing just one goal on 17 shots as the Canucks were outshot 38-19 on the night.

Chad Kilger, Alexander Khavanov and Steen scored for the Maple Leafs (24-16-3) while Jarkko Ruutu and Anson Carter had the other goals for Vancouver (24-14-5).

Carter gave the Canucks a 4-2 lead eight minutes into the third period. Steen answered to cut the lead to one.

Burrows' goal came with 3:15 to play in the second period after the 24-year-old came out from behind the Toronto net and fired a shot on Ed Belfour. The Maple Leaf goaltender got enough of the puck to prevent it from going in but couldn't stop the rebound that bounced off the chest of Steen and into the open net.
                          sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Originally posted by DavidFlamma
                            Looks like I've stumbled upon a new money-generating opportunity for the site.

Expert recap and game analysis of the Vancouver Canucks vs. Toronto Maple Leafs NHL game from January 10, 2006 on ESPN.

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) -- Alexandre Burrows scored his first career goal to help the Vancouver Canucks beat the Toronto Maple Leafs 4-3 on Tuesday night.

The Canucks fourth line of Burrows, fellow rookie Ryan Kesler and Matt Cooke drew the assignment of checking the Maple Leafs top line and not only shutdown the trio of Mats Sundin, Tie Domi and Alex Steen, but outscored them in the process.

The Canucks trailed 2-1 after the first period, but battled back on goals by Cooke and Burrows, playing in just his fifth NHL game, to take the lead heading into the third period.

Vancouver goalie Alex Auld, who picked up his 16th win of the season, held the Leafs at bay in the third period, allowing just one goal on 17 shots as the Canucks were outshot 38-19 on the night.

Chad Kilger, Alexander Khavanov and Steen scored for the Maple Leafs (24-16-3) while Jarkko Ruutu and Anson Carter had the other goals for Vancouver (24-14-5).

Carter gave the Canucks a 4-2 lead eight minutes into the third period. Steen answered to cut the lead to one.

Burrows' goal came with 3:15 to play in the second period after the 24-year-old came out from behind the Toronto net and fired a shot on Ed Belfour. The Maple Leaf goaltender got enough of the puck to prevent it from going in but couldn't stop the rebound that bounced off the chest of Steen and into the open net.
                            Ya got lucky!!:p
                            Paid in full.
                            Last edited by guwapo_rocker; 01-12-2006, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                              ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Leafs played better in last half of game, but it was closer than shots indicated.
                              Leafs blocked 14 shots, so play was more balanced than reported.

Would have ben nice to see what would have happened if McCabe and Jovo were playing...

Nice to see Auld hold the fort
                              sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Bob_R
                                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Messier joins New York championship icons

Perhaps, Mark Messier was too naive to understand the pressure he faced upon arriving in New York.

Or perhaps, he was simply as good as the legend that has grown exponentially in the Big Apple since he delivered a long-awaited Stanley Cup to the city's desperate hockey fans.
                                Not even Messier is sure which is the case as he prepares to watch his No. 11 raised to the Madison Square Garden rafters Thursday night before a game against the Edmonton Oilers, the team with which he began his legendary career. It will be a final tribute for all Messier gave the Ranger franchise — and the city of New York — in his two tours of duty on Broadway.

Messier's second tour of duty with the franchise ended this summer without fanfare when the 44-year-old Messier decided the lockout was too long a layoff to overcome.

Wednesday, Messier talked about his career with the Rangers during an emotional press conference at the Theater at Madison Square Garden. Throughout the press conference, an emotional Messier dabbed repeatedly at his eyes, trying to stem the tide of tears that refused to be held back as he recalled a decade of life-defining memories in New York.

''I was ready for just about anything that anybody could throw at me,'' Messier recalled of his arrival in October 1991, the centerpiece of a trade that sent three Rangers to Western Canada. ''I was ready for the challenge of winning the Stanley Cup. I was ready for this city. I wasn't intimidated about coming to New York.

''I was a little naive (about) exactly what I was getting in for even though I thought I knew what I was getting in for.''

Messier, who won five Cups with the Edmonton Oilers, arrived in New York City in early October of 1991. He was billed upon his arrival as a charismatic leader and consistent point producer capable of carrying the long-suffering Rangers to the Stanley Cup, a trophy the franchise last claimed in 1940.

Figuratively, the weight of the world was placed upon the considerably broad shoulders of the man they called "Moose." Amazingly, Messier never broke stride under the weight of such expectations.

He remembers receiving an unexpected ovation — both thunderous and sustained — upon taking the ice at MSG for the first time as a Ranger.

"I remember saying to myself, 'I will die trying to bring a Stanley Cup to the fans in New York,' " said Messier. "I didn't expect the ovation I got in my first game because, I thought, 'I haven't done anything here in New York.' "

That's the thing about New York fans. They are full of love, but it is a conditional love. Consequently, New York can be a cruel place for sports heroes that fail to live up to their potential, suffocating under the scrutiny of the city's rabid fans. It has ended the careers of more than a few elite athletes — unwilling or incapable of handling the heat.

But, the city can also be paradise for those that deliver the goods, as promised. Rightly, or wrongly, New York superstars seem to shine brighter than their counterparts in other cities.

Heck, Phil Rizzuto — a slightly above-average shortstop for the New York Yankees during their dynastic run — is still larger than life here and has somehow earned his way into baseball's Hall of Fame. Joe Namath, the brash quarterback for the New York Jets who delivered the unlikeliest of championships to New York Jets fans remains a living legend in these parts. Willis Reed, still pictured unexpectedly limping out onto the Garden court for a playoff game, will always be one of the faces of the New York Knicks.

It didn't take Messier long to realize the reverence residents of the self-proclaimed "Greatest City in the World" have for greatness in their midst. As he stated, it happened in his first game.

The trick, however, was to stay on the good side of the team's fans.

Messier did just that, joining New York's pantheon of heroes almost immediately as he revived the Ranger franchise, scoring 107 points in his first season with the Blueshirts and embracing the city and the team's fans with that special charisma that had won over so many others before his arrival in NYC.

Two years later, Messier willed the team to the Stanley Cup title.

That season, he scored 84 points and was a plus-25 as the Rangers recorded a league-best 112 points in the regular season. Just as importantly, he defused the time bomb that was coach Mike Keenan, uniting the players — his soldiers — in the common goal of securing a championship.

Mark Messier poses with the Stanley Cup on Wednesday, which he won six times as a player. (Kathy Willens / Associated Press)

But, that was just the beginning. In the playoffs, he showed why he is often known simply as "The Captain".

As expected, the Rangers had little trouble in the first two rounds of the playoffs that year, but come the Eastern Conference finals, New York found itself in a dogfight with the New Jersey Devils — the upstart rivals across the Hudson River.

Suddenly, Game 6 arrived — at the Meadowlands, no less — and the Rangers were on the brink of elimination. Messier boldly asserted that the Rangers would win the game the next night and return to MSG for a deciding Game 7.

''All I was thinking was to try to figure out a way how to make the players believe that I believed that we were going to win,'' Messier says.

The rest, as they say, is history. Messier woke up the morning of Game 6 to find his promise pasted on the back pages of the city's tabloids, painting the player into a corner. He responded with a natural hat trick to earn the victory and force a Game 7, which was won by Stephane Matteau's goal — "Matteau! Matteau! Matteau!" — in double overtime.

Now, the Stanley Cup was in reach, with just the Vancouver Canucks standing in the way. Despite the fact that the series went seven gruelling games, there was little question that Messier — who finished the playoffs with 30 points in 23 games — would lead his troops to the promised land. So, there he was on June 14, again at MSG, leaping to the heavens after a taut 3-2 victory in Game 7, his infectious smile threatening to permanently soften his granite jaw as the Garden erupted in equal parts celebration and relief.

The image of Messier taking the Stanley Cup — his personal property, it sometimes seems — that night at center ice will never fade. The unbridled joy as he vigorously shook the trophy above his head, beckoning his teammates to join the party will always be one of the game's enduring images. It is the picture of an elite leader at the height of his powers.

Thursday night, the Rangers will celebrate all that Messier accomplished for their franchise in what promises to be an unforgettable ceremony at Madison Square Garden. At the end of it, his retired number, just the fourth retired sweater in the team's history, will reside right next to the 1994 Stanley Cup banner that symbolizes the greatest sporting triumph in Messier's long and distinguished 25-year NHL career.

''That's immediately where your eyes go to every time you come into the Garden," Messier said. "I think that symbolizes so many things to so many people. I don't look at it as my name, I look it as our team.

''It's my name on the back of the jersey but I don't look at it as me being raised to the rafters because I don't think any one individual can stand alone.''

As usual, Messier was dead on. He can not stand alone.

In New York, he has joined the city's other sporting legends in an exalted place deep in the hearts of New York's passionate and demanding fans.
                                Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

Working...