• Show
Clear All
  • SA ME WHO
    Roadie
    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
    Brind'Amour isn't going anywhere...

you never know though...

my belief is that they'll keep the character guys...unload some others...and restock with youth...

Is Vancouver planning on signing him to a 5 1/2 million dollar deal? They can afford that? You'll see him either sign that deal...or defer it...
    Did you see the article (I think it was ESPN.com, but not sure) that said, even though it's very unlikely, that Carolina might consider trading up to get Jordan Staal (and trade away future defense-stud Jack Johnson)? Wonder what that could do to the financial aspect of getting back the most for their investment (as far as resigning players necessary to be competitive for the Cup again). I can't imagine it would do too much, but it would be an interesting move. (For my Pens as well, because we hold the 2nd overall pick this year and I can't see Staal lasting beyond the 3rd pick...which I guess means it could be intersting for the 'Hawks too.)

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

I haven't seen that article...but the speculations is high...

many think Jordan is better than Eric...and it would be intriguing for the Canes to do it...

but as a Pens fan myself...I'd pretty selfishly like to see them get Jordan...and then entice Eric to Pittsburgh down the line...

I don't think that you'll see the Canes making a crazy move like that...
      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

This is the article I think you were talking about...and it is intriguing...since the Pens and Canes have a good working relationship...

Ed Hradek from ESPN: The Magazine

Just a thought ...

If the Blues decide to take American-born defender Erik Johnson with the first overall pick in the upcoming draft, I wonder if the Hurricanes would call the Penguins about the No. 2 selection. They could offer top defensive prospect Jack Johnson, the third overall pick in 2005 draft, in exchange for the second choice.

Now, you might ask, why would the Canes deal Johnson, who just completed his first year at Michigan, for the No. 2 pick?

Well, they might be interested in taking another member of the Staal family.

Jordan Staal, who starred for the OHL champion Peterborough Petes, is another big and talented young pivot. Clearly, the Hurricanes are thrilled with Eric Staal, who already ranks among the top players in the NHL. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that they'd like to grab his not-so-little (6-foot-4, 215 pounds) brother, who's among the top prospects in this year's draft.

On the other side of the deal, new Penguins GM Ray Shero might be interested in acquiring Johnson, a charismatic and edgy player who projects as a top two defenseman.

Jack Johnson is also a close friend of Sidney Crosby. The two teenagers forged a bond when they skated (and played baseball) together at Shattuck-St. Mary's in Minnesota.

Such a deal probably won't happen, but there are reasons for both clubs to think about it.
        It's fun to speculate about this stuff...

we shall see though...

it wouldn't be a bad move for both clubs...

I like guys like Johnson...who hit like a hammer...and throw it all out there...
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• SA ME WHO
          Roadie
          • Nov 2004

That is indeed the article!

And tell me, as much as it'd be cool to have Jordan Staal (and the future hope of luring Eric there), how much could the Pens use someone like Johnson on their D? Not that they have a ton of offensive weapons, but building around Crosby and Malkin next season, if guys improve (or even return close to their best form), they could have a servicable to quarter-potent offence. If Gonchar plays the entire season like he finished last year, with a stud like Johnson, they'd have a good core to build around.

And here's to hoping for a good draft and better free-agent spending this year. (Last year looked good before the season, but, ultimately was a bust.)

Let's go Pens, let's go Pens!

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

and don't forget you'd get the Canes 3rd pick as well...

the problem I have with Jordan...and I do hear he's pretty good...

is that how many times has a younger brother (IE Gretzky and Lindros) not lived up to the hype?

The Pens looked good...but how were we to know that the young, speed/skill teams...mixed with vet presence (as opposed to dominated by the vets) were going to win out...

next year will be interesting...

no surprises...so I think we'll see some of the old time great teams coming back...

Comment

• Unchainme
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Apr 2005

Yo Poj., When the Barons were here for like 2 years in like 1979, Did you go to any of the games or anything? Was the attendence Bad? and Do you think will ever get a pro again?
              Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

[B

Is Vancouver planning on signing him to a 5 1/2 million dollar deal? They can afford that? You'll see him either sign that deal...or defer it... [/B]
                No, I don't think Rob can be signed for 5.5, unless he wins this Final by himself.

It would take a desire on Rob's part to want to come home and win a Cup.

I have been doing some simple math and no way Rob stays in Carolina. They have too many young players to sign.

Vancouver could only afford half of 5.5 at best, given their cap situation, but you never know if Bert is unloaded, Cloutier, and they lose Jovo, all hell could break loose here.

I know one thing, GM Nonis is on the final year of a two year contract and he is going to make his mark now and be successful now. The 'Nucks need grit and leadership and more Canadians .

Some Canadian players don't want to come home because of all of their buddies asking for favors constantly. I am hoping Rob wants to become a legend in his home town more than anything else.
                sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

No dude...I didn't go to any games...

to young...and not a hockey fan then...

no...I don't think hockey will ever be in Cleveland again at the NHL level...

unless the team in Columbus goes bye bye...

Ohio can't support 2 teams...

Comment

• Unchainme
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Apr 2005

No dude...I didn't go to any games...

to young...and not a hockey fan then...

no...I don't think hockey will ever be in Cleveland again at the NHL level...

unless the team in Columbus goes bye bye...

Ohio can't support 2 teams...
                    Columbus needs to move up here, Fuck, do they even know they have a team in coumbus?

If there was a team could you imagine the rivalry with Pittsburgh and Detroit.
                    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

I just don't think a team could be sustained in Cleveland...

Comment

• SA ME WHO
                        Roadie
                        • Nov 2004

I just don't think a team could be sustained in Cleveland...
                        I don't either. I just don't see NE Ohio as a hockey market. I've seen so many things negatively happen, hockey-related, over the years in this area. That said, we just got a Central Hockey League team here in Youngstown last year. They didn't draw horribly, but I'd love to see them get a few more fans this year. I just don't see an NHL team drawing enough to make it worthwhile to stay in Cleveland. (I mean, fans have already dissed the Tribe even though they were in the Series 9 years ago and were a whisker or two away from sneaking in to the playoffs last year.) Plus, this is definitely football country.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

Just so you know Flamma...

Brind'Amour is scheduled to make 3.99 million next year...and his option year isn't until the year after...

Carolina currently has less than 20 million dollars wrapped up in contracts as we speak...which will give them 20 million dollars to play with for free agents...and unsigned players...

They won't have any issues keeping anyone...and not only that...adding...

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                            ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I don't know why I thought Rob was entering his option...wishful thinking...

Staal needs to be signed though doesn't he?
                            sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Alias For Hire
                              Roadie
                              • Oct 2005

gotta give credit for Edmonton for NOT trapping. They tried to go up by three and they failed. They deserve props for trying to win the right way.

Roloson...fuck!

That is tough to swallow.

I say go with their other backup...the Swede. Then you always have Conklin to return to make amends in game 4 or so.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                                Roth Army Caesar
                                • Mar 2003

Okay...Hockey's free agent structure is fucking screwy...so let me explain a bit...

Right now...here's how the unrestricted free agents work. You are a slave to your team until:

Unrestricted free agents will get younger. The minimum age at which a player can shop himself on the open market will drop through the first four years of the agreement:
                                - In 2005, 31 years old.
                                - In 2006, 29 years old or eight years of NHL service.
                                - In 2007, 28 years old or seven years of NHL service.
                                - In 2008, 27 years old or seven years in the NHL. The 2008 benchmark remains in place for the life of the agreement.
                                Under the old system, players did not qualify for the open market until the age of 31.

So Staal won't be unrestricted until he's 27...so yeah...he's not technically signed...but he's not going anywhere either....

There are different levels of free agents...and Staal is the "lowest" level...

Carolina's best move would be to sign him to the highest market value...until a year or 2 before he turns 27...then offer him a long term deal...

Comment

Working...