Thread: The Official NHL Thread

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
    I didn't mean "canucks" as in Vancouver Canucks, I meant it as a nickname for Canadians....

I was referring to THIS NHL Network..

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl_network/
    I know what you meant

We honestly don't care either way. We would be happy if there was more interest in US, but we have such great coverage of hockey that it doesn't affect us.

The local sports talk radio stations have talked hockey throughout the strike - so you can imagine what it will be like once the season begins and Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver dominate.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

guwapo_rocker
    January 10th, I'll take the Leafs for $20.00 Flamma.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 06:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by aesop
    Ummm... what planet are you from? Won't even make the play-offs? That's just absurd!
    Ummm, I was kidding...

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
    January 10th, I'll take the Leafs for $20.00 Flamma.
    Sounds good!!

If I win, I'll give my winnings to Roth Army!!

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

"Loser" donates to Army, Guwapo??

guwapo_rocker
    Originally posted by DavidFlamma
    "Loser" donates to Army, Guwapo??
    Deal

guwapo_rocker

Free Agent Selanne returns to Ducks

The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim announced today that the National Hockey League (NHL) club has signed free agent right wing Teemu Selanne to a one-year contract. Per club policy, no financial terms of the deal were disclosed.

"We expect Teemu Selanne to be an impact player for us, both on the ice and in the community," said Executive Vice President/General Manager Brian Burke. "His skating and goal-scoring ability should fit nicely with our new style of play."

Selanne, 35, has appeared in 394 games with the Mighty Ducks during his career, scoring 482 points. He ranks among Anaheim's all-time leaders in several categories, including goals (second), points (second) and assists (third).

Since entering the league in 1992-93, Selanne ranks second in the NHL in goals with 452 (Jaromir Jagr, 478) and fourth in points with 951. The 6-0, 204-pound winger led the Ducks in goals in three of his four full seasons with the club and has averaged 37 goals per year over his 12 NHL seasons.

In addition to his nine All-Star Games, Selanne won the 1999 Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy, given to the league's top goal scorer as well as the 1993 Calder Memorial Trophy, given to the league's top rookie. He has twice been named a First-Team NHL All-Star (1993, 1997), twice named a Second-Team All-Star (1998, 1999) and was chosen to be a member of the NHL's 1993 All-Rookie Team.

In 2003-2004, Selanne appeared in 78 games with Colorado, earning 16-16=32 points with 32 penalty minutes and a +2 rating. He added 0-3=3 points in 10 playoff games with the club following the regular season.

Selanne was traded from Anaheim to San Jose for Jeff Friesen, Steve Shields and future considerations on March 5, 2001. He was originally acquired by Anaheim from Winnipeg with Marc Chouinard and a fourth round draft pick in 1996 in exchange for Chad Kilger, Oleg Tverdovsky & and a third round pick in the 1996 draft on February 7, 1996.

A native of Helsinki, Finland, Selanne was drafted by Winnipeg in the first round (10th overall) of the 1988 NHL Entry Draft.

Link

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Wow, now this is what I call a major trade...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...20&hubName=nhl

Senators sign and trade Hossa for Heatley

TSN.ca Staff with CP files

8/23/2005 7:26:45 PM

The Ottawa Senators and Atlanta Thrashers pulled off a blockbuster swap on Tuesday, as the Senators acquired sniper Dany Heatley in exchange for forward Marian Hossa and defenceman Greg de Vries.

Heatley, a restricted free agent, has also agreed to a three-year, $13.5 million US deal with Ottawa.

"We had approached the Thrashers a couple of weeks ago requesting a change of environment," agent Stacey McAlpine told The Canadian Press. "It was an extremely difficult decision, but we all worked together to try and get things resolved and it looks like we were able to do that."

The move gives Heatley a fresh start, away from Atlanta where he was involved in a high-speed car crash in the fall of 2003 that resulted in the death of friend and teammate Dan Snyder and left Heatley with multiple injuries.

''Over the course of time, we experienced some unfortunate incidents and encountered some challenging issues,'' McAlpine said. ''I think it was a combination of several things that slowly, over time, led us to the decision that it might be in everybody's best interests to work together to try to find a new opportunity, a new home, a new place to play.''

''Certainly, some of those issues were more important than others,'' he said. "Ultimately, this decision for us wasn't so much of a business decision. It was more of a life decision.''

For the Senators, they get some relief from Hossa's freshly minted big-ticket salary while acquiring a big name in exchange.

The deal comes hours after the Senators avoided salary arbitration with Hossa by signing the star forward to an $18-million US, three-year deal.

A source said Hossa will earn $5 million this season, $6 million in 2006-07 and $7 million the following season. Heatley will receive $3.5-million, $4.5-million and $5.5-million over the next three seasons and will be an unrestricted free agent when the deal expires.

"It creates a very good opportunity for us to try to hold this club together. That's been our objective right from Day 1 . . . because we feel that we're a contender again this year," said Senators GM John Muckler.

"We had to do it also because of the talent level of the player that we received. . . . He makes our team younger, he makes our team bigger. He's six foot three, 215 pounds, he's got a great upside. I think he'll be a delight to watch and I think the people in Ottawa are going to enjoy him."

Ottawa already had a payroll of some $31 million for this season, meaning a big Hossa settlement would push them near the $39-million salary cap. Most teams are also trying to leave a gap under the cap, so they have some room in case of injuries.

Hossa, 26, led the Senators with 36 goals and 46 assists in 2003-04, the last season before the lockout. He has scored 20 goals or more the last four NHL seasons, collecting 188 goals and 202 assists in 467 career games, all with Ottawa.

Heatley, 24, has 80 goals and 101 assists in 190 NHL regular-season games although injuries from the car crash limited him to 13 goals and 12 assists in 31 games in 2003-04.

He was injured again while playing in Switzerland during the lockout when a puck struck him in the face, breaking the orbital bone.

The second overall pick in the 2000 draft, he was the league's top rookie in 2001-02. His best season was 2002-03, when he had 41 goals and 48 assists. But his career was derailed in September 2003.

The MVP of the 2004 IIHF men's world hockey championship, Heatley was driving his Ferrari convertible on a curved road in a residential area when it ran into a brick pillar and iron fence. Snyder, a passenger, died after several days in a coma.

In February, Heatley was sentenced to three years of probation and ordered to give 150 speeches about the dangers of speeding after pleading guilty in the death of Snyder in a plea bargain.

Muckler is optimistic that Heatley will regain his form. "I have no doubts in my mind that he's going to get back to where he was before. It's going to be a great challenge for him to come to Ottawa and show that he can play at the elite level that he once did."

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,564 Times in 3,450 Posts

I know what you meant

We honestly don't care either way. We would be happy if there was more interest in US, but we have such great coverage of hockey that it doesn't affect us.

The local sports talk radio stations have talked hockey throughout the strike - so you can imagine what it will be like once the season begins and Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver dominate.
    Some of us in the STATES get that coverage on HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA!

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    Some of us in the STATES get that coverage on HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA!
    What's great (grate?) in Canada is that each team has it's local, regional coverage (Much like the Rangers have).

Each of those is better than the US national NHL coverage (except for Toronto)

For future reference, assume that when I refer to Canada or Canadian hockey, always exclude Toronto

Thx :p

Dumpwaffen SS
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Couple of different ways to look at this...

One, Stumpel may have gotten tired of waiting for the Malkin situation to clear up...

Or two, the Pens may have gotten an indication that the Malkin situation will be cleared up, and told Stumpel they won't need his services...

Or three, Keenan overpaid for him...
    I'm a fan of Keenan, always been...but I don't get it, why isn't he signing Jokinen first...and gotten a longer contract for Luongo too...I don't get it.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,564 Times in 3,450 Posts

What's great (grate?) in Canada is that each team has it's local, regional coverage (Much like the Rangers have).

Each of those is better than the US national NHL coverage (except for Toronto)

For future reference, assume that when I refer to Canada or Canadian hockey, always exclude Toronto

Thx :p
    It's still another game on to watch. The local SABRES coverage is actually quite good with RICK JENNERET calling the games...

The guy used to drink a twelve-pack a game from the broadcast booth, he's since quite...:p

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Nickdfresh

The guy used to drink a twelve-pack a game from the broadcast booth, he's since quite...:p [/B]
    You mean people watch hockey and DON'T drink beer??!

Very cool

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Gonna be very interesting what the Pens do with Tarnstrom...

I'm not so sure that I agree with the notion that already having one offensive-Dman is plenty, with Gonchar already signed.... I would throw Ric Jackman in that category as well, he had a great year after being traded to the Pens last season....

However, I can also see that the Pens may want to get that 2nd or 3rd line center.... Trading Tarnstrom should get a decent return....

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05240/561483.stm

Tarnstrom: 1-year, $1.6 million award
    Future as Penguin remains unsettled
    Sunday, August 28, 2005

By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Dick Tarnstrom, who was awarded a one-year, $1.6 million contract by an arbitrator yesterday, knows it's possible the Penguins will walk away from that award, making him an unrestricted free agent.

He also understands that they might aggressively try to trade him if they decide he won't provide a good return on that seven-figure investment.

Nonetheless, Tarnstrom is adamant that he wants to remain with the Penguins. So firm, in fact, that it almost appears he's trying to will that to happen.

"He's already bought a car and is getting Pennsylvania license plates," said Mark Stowe, his agent. "I think that shows his intent."

Tarnstrom's feelings aren't the issue, though. What matters most is the opinion of Penguins general manager Craig Patrick, and he doesn't seem inclined to share it. Patrick, through a team spokesman, declined to discuss the arbitration award or his plans for Tarnstrom.

The Penguins have 48 hours after the arbitration award came down to walk away from it; if they do, they are not entitled to compensation if Tarnstrom signs elsewhere. They also have the option of trading him, and it's likely Patrick has spent the weekend investigating possible deals.

Tarnstrom, at least for the moment, has the fifth-highest salary among Penguins players for the coming season. He ranks behind Sergei Gonchar and Zigmund Palffy ($3.5 million each), Mark Recchi ($2,228,000) and John LeClair ($2.1 million). Mario Lemieux and rookie Sidney Crosby -- who figures to get $850,000 in salary and a similar amount in bonus money -- also could nudge ahead of Tarnstrom.

Stowe characterized the salary award as "a fair result," and added that it was "well above what they offered, and not what we wanted." The precise figures the parties submitted to the arbitrator Friday have not been divulged.

Stowe said he has "no idea" what course of action the Penguins will take with his client. That isn't surprising, considering that Patrick isn't in the habit of sharing his personnel plans with people from outside the organization.

Although Tarnstrom, who had a team-high 52 points in 2003-04, is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent next summer, Stowe reiterated that he would like to work out a multi-year deal with the Penguins.

"He still wants to play in Pittsburgh, even beyond this year," Stowe said. "It makes a lot of sense to tie a guy like that up for a few years."

There has been nothing to suggest the Penguins share that sentiment, though. Their thinking seems to be that with Gonchar and Ric Jackman -- and perhaps Ryan Whitney -- in their lineup, an offensive defenseman such as Tarnstrom becomes redundant. Or, at the very least, a rather pricey luxury.

The Penguins, as arbitration protocol demands, downplayed Tarnstrom's value to them during his hearing Friday.

His flaws were dissected and magnified during that session and, even though Tarnstrom contended that he didn't take any of it personally, he apparently is relieved that the process has played out.

"Dick's happy it's over," Stowe said.

Now he must wait to find out if his career with the Penguins is, too.

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Damm Beach, maybe you should rename this thread the Pittsburgh Pens thread....

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, since the Leafs are sitting and twirling on their thumbs, somebody's gotta post some shit in here.....

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Anyone in Florida hear the rumor of trading Luongo for Dan Cloutier of the Canucks, in a package deal or otherwise??

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

http://www.hockeytraderumors.com/article5526.html

Will Roberto be Luong-gone as well? It appears he may ask for a trade, but once again this would be a difficult situation. The goalie market is a bit weak right now, and Luongo being offered around the league puts the Sabres in a horrible situation. They have the goalies to offer, mainly the only team to have that, yet Luongo may push them aside.

I think GM Mike Keenan changed the face of the Panthers and for the first time in years, the Panthers will get recognized (if all goes well planned). But, there is certainly no excuse for Keenan if he loses Luongo due to the arbitration decision. I agree that he should have signed him to a one year deal, see if he can still be the same goalie under the new rule changes and if he does well then he gets a long-term contract.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Panthers are not done dealing yet. They need a scorer, preferebly a LW'er. Keenan is also the type to pull off a blockbuster trade, which he apparently tried to do in order to get Chris Pronger.

I do not see the Vancouver Canucks as a likely destination. They do not have much to offer for Luongo as far as scoring goes. And, no way does Keenan go from having an elite goaltender to normal/average/good goaltender in Dany Cloutier.

Other likely destinations? I believe the Canadiens are number one here. The Panthers and the Canadiens have what it takes to make a trade a la Thrashers and Senators. It is still all up in the air, however, and it would all have to make financial sense for both sides, specifically the Panthers. Of course, Jay Bouwmeester may also become a key to this major trade speculation regarding Luongo.

The second team that could be in the running may be the New York Islanders. Hey, why not make up for losing Luongo by getting him back? Rick DiPietro is also having issues with Mad Mike, and he certainly is not asking Luongo type money, he is still young has loads of potential and his type of character is well suited for Keenan hockey.

Once again, the Panthers would be looking to grab a significant scorer, but it would also have to make financial sense for them.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The rumor I heard here in Vancouver is Cloutier and Jovo for Luongo and Bouwmeester...

I loved the way Jovo used to play with Florida - smacking the shit out of Lindros in the playoffs!!!

Now, he thinks he is fucking Orr.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-07-2015 @ 05:45 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Well, my Preds signed Kayria and resigned Sullivan. If we can stay healthy (This means YOU Paul).....I don't know... We could make some noise....

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by SilvioDante
    We could make some noise....
    Or, maybe not...

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't know how good Luongo really is.

Ya he has been named to Team Canada, but that was more of a chemistry thing, thinking that Luongo MAY be a good goalie in future.

Gretz didn't want to rock the boat too much, knowing he has Brodeur there.

Theodore should have been there...

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hey Guwapo! Leafs on CBC 25 times this year!!!

This is such a joke!

Granted, a larger percentage of Canada's population resides in the area.

But, for our US friends, the CBC is a Crown corporation, publically funded for the benefit of all Canadians.

Every year, the NHL and the CBC get together and ensure the Lafs play every Saturday night (Hockey Night in Canada broadcast).

No other network can air hockey that night as the CBC had a monpoply.

It is ridiculous that Canadians will have to endure 25, that's 25 Leafs games and only 15 Canuck's games.

It will be fun though, the Leafs will be O for 15 on Saturday night and ratings will be down.

Last time I checked, there was three Western Teams and 3 Eastern teams in Canada.

There should be equal representation every week as there are double headers now.

A joke!

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Leafs suck balls

guwapo_rocker
    Aren't the Canadians on every Saturday night too?

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-07-2015 @ 05:45 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Or, maybe not...
    Well, I know of 3 points we will get this year and I'll be there on Jan. 1st to watch as the Preds beat the piss outta the Pens.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You may be right, Nashville always plays the Pens tough...

That is, the previous years Pens....

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Re: Hey Guwapo! Leafs on CBC 25 times this year!!!

It will be fun though, the Leafs will be O for 15 on Saturday night and ratings will be down.
    Bullshit, the Leafs may not be as stong this year but to say they will be 0-15 is madness....
    May your Canucks suck comode scum.....

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Someone's jacking someone else's chains....

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-30-2011 @ 12:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by SilvioDante
    Well, I know of 3 points we will get this year and I'll be there on Jan. 1st to watch as the Preds beat the piss outta the Pens.
    ...And then I woke up. Damn!!!! it was all just a dream. That cursed Recchi-Lemieux-LeClair line!! Or was it that Malone-Crosby-Koltsov one?

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Koltsov won't be that high bro, doesn't have the scoring touch of the top two lines...

Something like this:

Leclair-Lemieux-Recchi
    Malone-Crosby-Palffy
    Fata-Pirjeta-Koltsov
    Surovy-Beech-Roy

Edzo should have some fun juggling the lines during training camp...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That was quick, signed deal in less than a day....

Must be nice, 18 year old kid making more in endorsements than his salary...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=135704

Pens to announce Crosby signing Friday

Associated Press

9/8/2005 7:42:03 PM

PITTSBURGH (AP) - The Pittsburgh Penguins didn't want Sidney Crosby to miss even a minute of their first training camp in two years. The NHL's labour agreement made it all but certain he wouldn't.

The Penguins are expected to announce Friday that the No. 1 draft pick has signed his first NHL contract, a formality since the new labour deal limits his first-year compensation to $850,000 in salary and $850,000 in bonuses.

Crosby's agent, Pat Brisson, flew to Pittsburgh on Thursday night for a Friday morning meeting with Penguins general manager Craig Patrick to finalize the agreement. To maximize local TV coverage before the Steelers start dominating it during the weekend, the two sides are expected to announce the deal Friday afternoon.

The bonuses are expected to be tied to relatively easily obtainable standards for a player of Crosby's ability, such as scoring 20 goals, getting 35 assists, making the all-rookie team and being among the top three rookie forwards in plus-minus.

Until he gets several more years of experience, the 18-year-old Crosby is all but certain to make more money via endorsements and promotions than he does in salary.

Crosby first visited Pittsburgh last month for the team's rookie orientation camp.

Crosby is due back for the start of training camp Tuesday and a week's worth of pre-season practice before the Penguins shift their camp to their Wilkes-Barre, Pa., minor-league affiliate's arena.

Crosby is looking forward to the camp, mostly to get acquainted with players such as Lemieux, Mark Recchi, John LeClair, Sergei Gonchar and Jocelyn Thibault that, until now, he's seen play only in person.

''I'm excited to play with any guys in the NHL, but when you see some of the names they're bringing in, I mean it's going to be a great experience,'' he said. ''No. 1 draft picks go to a place that's rebuilding and I feel fortunate to have the opportunity to play with a team that's going to compete every night.''

Crosby will make his NHL debut Oct. 5 at New Jersey.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Just grabbed some great game tix for 3 games (for some great cash, I might add )...

Oct. 7th, Pens at Canes... (Poj, sect. 122, about 15 rows from the ice)

Dec. 27th, Leafs at Pens... (Center Ice, about 15 rows from the ice)

Feb. 11th, Pens at Caps... (Sect. 102, about 15 rows from the ice)

Frickin' Ticketmaster was FLOODED, all NHL teams started selling individual game tickets at the same time....

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    08-20-2016 @ 03:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Just grabbed some great game tix for 3 games (for some great cash, I might add )...

Oct. 7th, Pens at Canes... (Poj, sect. 122, about 15 rows from the ice)

Dec. 27th, Leafs at Pens... (Center Ice, about 15 rows from the ice)

Feb. 11th, Pens at Caps... (Sect. 102, about 15 rows from the ice)

Frickin' Ticketmaster was FLOODED, all NHL teams started selling individual game tickets at the same time....
    I got an e-mail from the Devils informing me that tickets are on sale for a 10% discount. I think it should be alot more than that.

I'll probably go to one game this year. That'll be the game when I go with my son and his school at 50% off.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, read on the Pens board that the opener at the Meadowlands on the 5th sold out in 10 minutes....

Hockey is back, indeed....

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    08-20-2016 @ 03:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I guess everyone wants to see Mario and Crosby. The Devils in the meantime have lost Stevens and Niedermayer.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Crosby with a sweet move from behind the net and flips it past the goalie with a backhander....

The first of many to come gentlemen...

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/peng...osby_goal2.asx

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Crosby with a sweet move from behind the net and flips it past the goalie with a backhander....

The first of many to come gentlemen...

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/peng...osby_goal2.asx
    Until now, I thought Crosby's talent couldn't live up to the hype...

Most impressive!!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Listening to the Pens' 1st preseason game tonight (yes, I'm a glutton)...

The refs are calling ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING.... Midway through the 3rd period, there has to be 20 penalties called already....

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The other Federov

Sergei's little bro Fedor Federov is lighting it up in inter-squad games here at Vancouver...looking like an all-star.

He has had motivational issues here, but look the fuck out if he can keep this up.

Has talent to be all-world...

Canucks take the Cup....Bert is actually stronger and faster now than before.

Can't wait!

Thread Information