Thread: MLB Trade Deadline 2005

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Post MLB Trade Deadline 2005

Looks like the 1st big trade before the deadline is about to happen....

The people involved may not be etched in stone yet, but it's looking something like this....

Lots of links on this, but I'll give ya the Sporting News link...

http://www.sportingnews.com/experts/.../20050718.html

Buccos get:

Mike Lowell - 3B,1B
    Eric Reed - AAA CF
    Larry Bigbie - OF
    Cash

Orioles get:

A.J. Burnett - RHP
    Daryle Ward - 1B (DH ?)

Marlins get:

Mark Redman - LHP
    Hayden Penn - AA RHP
    Jorge Julio - RHP

Kinda on the fence in terms of the Buccos return.... Lowell, if hitting like he's capable, would be the Bucs' answer at 3B... I like the addition of Bigbie, I think he's a little underrated in the OF.... Don't know squat about Reed....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Lowell is not having the season we're accustomed to that's for sure.

I like Ward at Orioles Park.

Be interesting to see if Boston does anything about their closer problems. They may try and wait it out with Schilling filling the role, but the Yanks are breathing down their necks.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Now, it's the Red Sox who are breathing down the Yankees' necks.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I hearing now that the Pirates involvement in the deal is now off of the table... In addition, the O's (and most likely the reason why the Bucs dropped) are balking at the amount of money that is to be paid for Lowell's salary....

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A couple of other ones in the last 24 hours...

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8656783

Indians send Jody Gerut to Cubs for Jason Dubois
    July 18, 2005

CLEVELAND (AP) At the time, Jody Gerut didn't know his final swing Monday night would also be his last for the Cleveland Indians.

Gerut, who hit an RBI single in the fifth inning, was traded to the Chicago Cubs for Jason Dubois in a swap of outfielders. The deal was announced moments after the Indians beat the Kansas City Royals 6-2 in a game shortened to five innings by rain.

"I'm shocked," Gerut said. "It's crazy. I guess I'm not quite ready to turn the page. But as soon as I clear out my locker, I'll be ready to turn the page."

Gerut's next stop will be close to home. He was born in Elmhurst, Ill., and raised in Lombard, Ill.

"I grew up a White Sox fan but I'm going to have to get over that," Gerut said. "It's great. It's an unbelievable franchise with a great ballpark."

The Indians have been in the market for a right-handed slugger, and Dubois (pronounced du-Boyce) could help. The 6-foot-5, 220-pounder hit 31 homers last season at Triple-A Iowa. Dubois, 26, batted .239 with seven homers and 22 RBIs in 52 games this season for the Cubs before being optioned to Iowa on July 8.

He will report to the Indians on Tuesday.

"This is a pure baseball trade in the sense that we are trading a player we like in Jody Gerut for a player that we feel has a lot of offensive potential and compliments our club well, both now and in the future," Indians general manager Mark Shapiro said.

Gerut batted .275 in 44 games this season for Cleveland. He spent the first six weeks on the disabled list while recovering from major knee surgery last September. Gerut tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee on Sept. 17 while trying to catch a ball in the right-field corner at Jacobs Field.

Gerut became somewhat expendable with the emergence of outfielders Grady Sizemore and Coco Crisp.

"We've got four outfielders and three spots. What are you going to do with that?" Gerut said. "Somebody is not going to play as much as he would like to."

In 2003, Gerut batted .279 with 22 homers and led the Indians with 75 RBIs.

"We like the fact that he's a left-handed hitter," Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said in Cincinnati, following Chicago's 9-4 victory over the Reds. "He's an above-average defensive player. He's more suited to play either corner, but he can play center. He's a guy who could help this club down the stretch."

Dubois made his major league debut with the Cubs last year and hit .236 with eight homers in 72 games.

"Jason's a guy who has power potential," Hendry said. "All of us felt he might be better suited to the other league."

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8658927

Red Sox get Hyzdu back
    July 19, 2005

BOSTON (AP) The slumping Boston Red Sox began overhauling their roster on Tuesday night, acquiring outfielder Adam Hyzdu from the San Diego Padres and designating left-handed reliever Alan Embree for assignment.

The Red Sox lost six of seven heading into Tuesday night's game against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, dropping from 3½ games ahead in the AL East to a half-game behind the Yankees. They have needed an outfielder since Jay Payton was exiled for a tantrum in the dugout.

Boston sent minor league pitcher Scott Cassidy to the Padres for Hyzdu, who had three hits in 20 at-bats for San Diego and also spent time in the minors this season. Hyzdu has been in and out of the Red Sox organization; most recently, he was traded to the Padres in spring training for Blaine Neal.

Embree had filled a key role for the 2004 champions, going 2-2 with a 4.13 ERA in a career-high 71 appearances during the regular season and a 2.46 ERA while appearing in 11 of Boston's 14 postseason games. He was on the mound for the final out of the team's epic comeback against the New York Yankees in the AL championship series.

But he has struggled this year, going 1-4 with a 7.65 ERA in 43 games.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And another one for the Sox...

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8659154

Red Sox get Graffanino, Hyzdu
    July 19, 2005

BOSTON (AP) The slumping Red Sox began to overhaul their roster on Tuesday night, acquiring infielder Tony Graffanino from the Kansas City Royals and outfielder Adam Hyzdu from the San Diego Padres.

Boston also designated left-handed reliever Alan Embree for assignment.

The Red Sox, who lost six of seven heading into Tuesday night's game against Tampa Bay, sent Single-A left-hander Juan Cedeno and Triple-A outfielder Chip Ambres to Kansas City.

Boston, which has wasted a four-game lead in the AL East and fallen a half-game behind the New York Yankees in the division, sent right-hander Scott Cassidy to San Diego for Hyzdu, who joins the Red Sox organization for the fourth time.

Graffanino, who played all four infield positions for the Royals, was batting .298 with three homers and 18 RBIs playing part-time for the Royals. The Red Sox have needed a second baseman since Mark Bellhorn sprained his thumb over the weekend, leaving them with just Alex Cora there; they've needed an outfielder since Jay Payton was exiled for a tantrum in the dugout.

Cedeno was 2-6 with a 5.61 ERA in 21 appearances at Wilmington. He has 68 strikeouts and 37 walks in 78 1-3 innings.

Ambres was a first-round draft pick by the Marlins in 1998 who was batting .294 with 10 homers, 50 RBIs and 17 stolen bases in Pawtucket.

Hyzdu had three hits in 20 at-bats for San Diego and also spent time in the minors this season. Hyzdu returns for his fourth stint with the Red Sox organization; most recently, he was traded to the Padres in spring training for Blaine Neal.

Embree had filled a key role for the 2004 champions, going 2-2 with a 4.13 ERA in a career-high 71 appearances during the regular season and a 2.46 ERA while appearing in 11 of Boston's 14 postseason games. He was on the mound for the final out of the team's epic comeback against the New York Yankees in the AL championship series.

But he has struggled this year, going 1-4 with a 7.65 ERA in 43 games

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There's going to be some big deals here...I can feel it...

with Soriano at the top of many teams' lists...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    and here come the rumors...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's like the calm before the storm...

I think a lot of moves are hinged on what happens to Burnett...

That is, if he's moved at all....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    and we're talking about a .500, inconsistent pitcher...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's the way it is this year....

Especially if Schmidt isn't traded, which I doubt he will...

I mean c'mon, if Wells and Redman are two of the top desired pitchers, it's a light trade year.....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Schmidt isn't going anywhere...or we'd be hearing about the Yanks going after him...

other than Soriano...I don't see any big names being bantered about...could be a surprise in there I suppose...

Sheep Pen Barn Boss
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    looks like the red sox might end up w/burnett
    Originally posted by RIKK

Now, tj was indeed a major cunt. Indeed, he probably still is.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't think so...

Burnett's not going anywhere unless the other team takes on Mike Lowell's contract also....

Sheep Pen Barn Boss
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i think the sox are gonna get him

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If they get Burnett...it's only to move him again...they are coveting Billy Wagner right now...and the Phillies need starters...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And the Joker goes to the land of the fish taco....

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8670175

Padres pick up Randa, demote Burroughs
    July 23, 2005
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

SAN DIEGO -- The slumping NL West-leading San Diego Padres acquired third baseman Joe Randa from the Cincinnati Reds on Saturday and demoted struggling Sean Burroughs to Triple-A. They continued to discuss a trade that would send first baseman Phil Nevin to Baltimore for pitcher Sidney Ponson, but had yet to ask the slugger to waive his limited no-trade clause.

Baltimore is one of eight teams Nevin can block a trade to.

"The Padres have not even asked our approval yet," agent Barry Axelrod told the Associated Press. "If they were to ask for our approval, for Phil to even consider it I'm sure there would have to be some discussion. He and or I would want to talk with the Orioles and find out what his role would be there."

Nevin started in the Padres' afternoon game at Philadelphia.

"Obviously it's not going to happen without our approval," Axelrod said. "So obviously, it's not close to being done."

General manager Kevin Towers said the Padres had yet to seek Nevin's approval.

In December 2002, Nevin refused to waive his no-trade clause and killed a deal that would have sent him to Cincinnati for Ken Griffey Jr.

"It kind of goes back to what happened in the Cincinnati deal," Axelrod said. "Kevin had a deal made, then called and asked if Phil would accept it. I said, 'No way.' Phil's criteria has always been that he would like to play for a West Coast team. He wants to play for San Diego. He doesn't want to leave here. He's got a new home being built here.

"But if they've arrived at the conclusion that the profile of the team needs to change in some way, then we'll re-examine the circumstances when we're asked."

That could include asking for more money.

"I suppose we could try to exact something out of them, but it hasn't gotten to that point," Axelrod said.

Nevin is making $9 million this season and is due $10 million next season.

The Padres are known to have shopped Burroughs, but ended up having to option him to Triple-A Portland so he can try to regain his batting stroke. He was hitting just .255 with just one homer and 15 RBI. Burroughs, the son of former AL MVP Jeff Burroughs, has shown a remarkable lack of power, hitting just 11 homers since he made his big-league debut in 2002.

The Padres got Randa for minor league right-handers Justin Germano and Travis Chick.

Randa is hitting .289 with 13 homers and 48 RBI.

San Diego went into Saturday's game on a five-game losing streak, seeing its lead in the weak NL West cut to 3½ games over Arizona.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Let's see if the Sox look for a SP even harder now...

http://www.rotoworld.com/includes/to....asp?sport=MLB

Red Sox' Clement hit by line drive, taken off on stretcher Top NFL News

Matt Clement - S - BOS - Jul. 26 - 8:24 pm et

Matt Clement left tonight's game in the third inning after taking a line drive off his head.
    Clement was taken off on a stretcher, but he was aware and talking at the end. Expect him to miss some time. The Red Sox are even more likely to acquire a starting pitcher now. Jul. 26 - 8:24 pm et

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A minor move, could've seen this coming after Hernandez's injury....

Ross is a good defensive catcher, but is a pretty mediocre hitter... Looks like Furmaniak has some pop in his bat, but the Buccos sure do have a shitload of middle infielders now...

Hmm, maybe preparing for more moves ??

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

Padres acquire C Ross from Pirates

July 28, 2005
    SAN DIEGO (Ticker) - The San Diego Padres added some catching depth Thursday, acquiring David Ross from the Pittsburgh Pirates for minor league shortstop J.J. Furmaniak.

Ross, 28, batted .222 with three homers and 15 RBI in 40 games with the Pirates this season. Once a top prospect in the Los Angeles Dodgers organization, Ross has struggled in the major leagues, hitting .211 with 19 home runs and 50 RBI in 158 games.

The acquisition of Ross was necessitated by starting catcher Ramon Hernandez's decision to undergo surgery on his ailing wrist Friday. The Padres recently have been using the tandem of Robert Fick and Phil Nevin - both better suited for first base - behind the plate.

Furmaniak appeared in 99 games with Class AAA Portland, hitting .266 with 14 homers and 47 RBI. Drafted by San Diego in 2000, the 25-year-old owns a .274 average with 61 homers and 309 RBI in 633 career minor league contests

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Yanks nabbed Shawn Chacin from Colorado for 2 minor leaguers...

Chacin was 1-7 or some shit...

good pick up...lmfao...

ROTHITE BARBARICUS ELITE
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Warham
    Now, it's the Red Sox who are breathing down the Yankees' necks.
    Warham, why do you have
    Tony Orlando as your avatar??

EUAS

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by POJO_Risin
    The Yanks nabbed Shawn Chacin from Colorado for 2 minor leaguers...

Chacin was 1-7 or some shit...

good pick up...lmfao...
    Well, the feeling is (I guess) that's he's a better pitcher than his record would indicate, becuase of pitching in Denver....

But playing in New Yawk evens that out, in my opinion....

Meaning, he'll suck....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    WEll...I just don't see them doing anything else...

HE's a good pitcher...had a good year as a starter...half year...if I remember correctly...then got hurt...then they made him a closer...

He's not the answer...just a plug-in...and young...

this may be a more boring trade deadline than the past...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nevin doesn't have a choice this time, but Park does, although they expect him to approve the trade...

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8687697

Padres deal Nevin to Rangers for Park
    July 29, 2005
    By Scott Miller
    CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

For the second time this week, the San Diego Padres have arranged a trade to move slugger Phil Nevin -- this time in a deal that will send him to Texas for pitcher Chan Ho Park, CBS SportsLine.com. has learned.

The Padres and Rangers agreed to the parameters of the deal early Friday evening, and this time Park -- not Nevin -- is the player who must waive a no-trade clause. Sources close to Park, who was scratched from a scheduled start in Toronto on Friday night, expect the pitcher to comply.

Nevin vetoed a deal to Baltimore for pitcher Sidney Ponson earlier this week. However, Nevin has a limited no-trade clause that involves only eight teams. Texas, wanting to add a hitter for a possible stretch run, is not one of those teams on Nevin's list.

Nevin is owed roughly $15 million the rest of this season and next. Park is in the fourth year of a five-year, $70 million deal.

The Padres and Rangers were said to be "crossing the t's and dotting the i's" before an expected announcement of the deal later Friday evening, mostly working to finalize financial details. There is no state tax in Texas and there is in California, and Park is expected to be compensated accordingly. Also, there is some deferred money in Park's contract for which Texas will be responsible.

San Diego has been eager to move Nevin for several months. The Padres want to make room at first base for Xavier Nady, whose bat they believe is more dangerous than Nevin's at this point in Nevin's career.

Nady, the Padres' second-round pick in the 2002 draft, is hitting .277 with 11 home runs and 33 RBI in 202 at-bats for the Padres this season. Nevin is hitting .256 with nine homers and 47 RBI in 281 at-bats.

Nevin, an NL All-Star in 2001, had a career year that season with 41 home runs and 126 RBI. However, his power is to right-center field, and the club's move into Petco Park last season was not beneficial to Nevin: At 411 feet, Petco has the deepest right-center fence in the game.

Conversely, right-center in Ameriquest Field in Arlington is a much more reachable 381 feet. Also, at 34, Nevin will have the opportunity to perform as a designated hitter in the AL -- and the Rangers are banking on his power stroke returning in their hitter-friendly park.

Park was a colossal disappointment in Texas, going 22-23 with a 7.59 ERA since his arrival with the Rangers in 2002. His velocity declined about the time he signed as a free agent in Texas, and opposing baserunners have had a high rate of success stealing against him.

The Park move almost certainly is a prelude to at least another Rangers deal - if not more. Texas was looking to add starting pitching before dumping Park and has been discussing Ponson with Baltimore, possibly for outfielder Richard Hidalgo. The Rangers also are in deep discussions with the Mets, according to sources, as New York attempts to acquire second baseman Alfonso Soriano. And in recent days, the Chicago Cubs have ratcheted up their efforts to acquire Soriano, with the idea of moving him into left field.

In the Mets' talks, Texas is said to be zeroed in on Mets starter Aaron Heilman, with New York trying to sell the Rangers on Victor Zambrano instead.

As for the Padres, they filled one need on Thursday -- sort of -- by acquiring catcher David Ross from Pittsburgh. With Ramon Hernandez undergoing what could be season-ending wrist surgery on Friday, the Padres were left with Nevin and Robert Fick to catch.

The club was impressed with Nevin volunteering to catch in Hernandez's absence but, in what will turn out to have been his final act as a Padre, Nevin was ejected from Thursday's 11-3 loss to St. Louis in the ninth inning for arguing balls and strikes from his catching position.

It was the latest crazy twist in the Padres' embarrassing and prolonged skid in the NL West. Aside from catching problems, San Diego has been desperate to add to its rotation with Adam Eaton's extended stay on the disabled list with a strained finger in his pitching hand.

That's why they attempted to acquire Ponson last weekend, and it's what led them to Park on Friday.

In Park, 8-5 with a 5.66 ERA in 20 starts for the Rangers this season, the Padres think they have a pitcher who can eat innings and survive reasonably well in pitcher-friendly Petco Park.

Certainly, Park's best days were in the NL, as he won in double figures for Los Angeles for five consecutive seasons, from 1997 to 2001. Maybe he never will recapture that form, but for a team that has auditioned Darrell May, Tim Redding and Tim Stauffer in the rotation already this season and still muddled its way to first place, the Padres are hopeful.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Some of the rumors...Boston is still hunting Billy Wagner...

Philly says they WON'T deal him...lmfao...but are trying like hell to get Danys Baez...

hmmmm....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Yankees contacted Cleveland about Millwood...among many...many other 2nd tie pitchers...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Eric Byrnes made the move again...heading to Baltimore for Larry Bigbie...

I know the Pirates were hot on Bigbie...I think trying to unload Lawton for him...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The White Sox could really fuck up that 3-way deal...they need a 1st baseman...now that Thomas is out for the year...and are trying like hell to get Baez as well...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think the Cards are going to make a splash here as well...

they are looking for an "impact outfielder..."

They want Brian Giles...but the Pads are fucking asking for one of their starters...

They are also looking at Lawton...who may be a good fit...

and they have inquired about ALL the Reds outfielders...including Griffey...which would be an interesting fit...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Randy Winn to the Giants for Yorvit Torrealba and Jesse Foppert...

Hmmm...the Giants are only 5 1/2 back or so...because there isn't anyone in their division over .500...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Red Sox did complete one trade Saturday, acquiring outfielder Jose Cruz Jr. from the Arizona Diamondbacks for minor league infielder Kenny Perez and minor league right-hander Kyle Bono.

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    PTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!
    Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    8 minutes left...and nothing announced...man...

this could be a major fucking dud of a year...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Lugo and Huff are still out there with 3 minutes left...so they aren't going anywhere...nothing about Baez though...I can't believe that they wouldn't deal anyone...needing prospects like they do...

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    (cricket...cricket...cricket...)

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    (pindrop...)

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Unbelievable that there were no moves...these fucking owners are getting like Fantasy owners in 6th place...they won't deal what they need to deal because they DON'T want to get worse...instead of trying to get better...

I love how the Marlins are crucified for their big money spending and deals in 1997...

um...the WON THE FUCKING WORLD SERIES...

isn't that the point?

To many upper level yes men trying to keep their jobs instead of winning games...

pussies...

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by POJO_Risin
    Randy Winn to the Giants for Yorvit Torrealba and Jesse Foppert...

Hmmm...the Giants are only 5 1/2 back or so...because there isn't anyone in their division over .500...
    Wow what a high impact move.............

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Winn's a solid player...the kind of subtle change that can up your rpg by a run or more just by OBP...

lmfao...

Thread Information