• Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Supreme Court Nominee To Be Announced 9PM EST

Supreme Court Announcement Tonight, White House Says

By Peter Baker, Fred Barbash and William Branigin
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Tuesday, July 19, 2005; 1:18 PM

The president is set to announce his Supreme Court nominee tonight at 9 p.m. ET, according to spokesman Scott McClellan.

The name of the nominee remained unknown. While many Republican strategists are anticipating that his choice will be Judge Edith Clement of the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, other observers were cautious about speculating.

The leading female contenders, according to GOP strategists, are Clement, Judges Edith Hollan Jones, and Priscilla R. Owen, all of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit; Janice Rogers Brown of the D.C. Circuit; and Karen Williams of the 4th Circuit.

Jones, admired by many conservatives as a "strict constructionist" in interpreting the Constitution, was the runner-up to David H. Souter when President George H.W. Bush made his first court appointment in 1990. She has expressed strong opposition to Roe v. Wade , the decision establishing a constitutional right to abortion.

Owen and Brown were just confirmed to the appellate bench, after long Democratic delays, as part of a May deal to end a partisan showdown over judicial filibusters. If Bush picks either of them, strategists said, the White House will argue that the Senate could hardly reject the nomination months after approving the same person for a lower-court post. But such a move would be seen as provocative by Democrats who reluctantly dropped their filibuster against those two.

"I'm comfortable where we are in the process," the president said shortly after noon, during an appearance with Australian Prime Minister John Howard. "The best way to put it is I'll let you know when I'm ready to tell you who it is."

"I've heard nothing official, but it certainly does look like it," said a Republican strategist with close ties to the White House. "The word has gone out that we should be ready today. And the signs are all pointing to Clement."

The subject of most speculation today was Clement, 57, who served for 10 years on the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana before being elevaned.

She was nominated to that court by President George H.W. Bush in October 1991 and also promptly confirmed by the Senate. In 2001 she served as chief judge of the District Court.

Clement was born in Birmingham, Ala., and earned a bachelor's degree from the University of Alabama in 1969 and a law degree from the Tulane University School of Law in 1972.

She was a law clerk for U.S. District Court Judge Herbert W. Christenberry in the Eastern District of Louisiana.

From 1975 until she became a judge in 1991, Clement worked in private practice in New Orleans, specializing in maritime law. She represented oil companies, insurance companies and the marine services industry in cases before federal courts.

She is a member of the Federalist Society, a conservative legal organization.

Clement has a reputation among lawyers as a no-nonsense judge who insists on professionalism in her courtroom and is strict about deadlines. While she is known as a judicial conservative, she also has been known to lean toward the defense in civil cases.

Get Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland and national news. Get the latest/breaking news, featuring national security, science and courts. Read news headlines from the nation and from The Washington Post. Visit www.washingtonpost.com/nation today.
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Hmmm...Give that man a cigar!

Comment

• Warham
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

I want a diehard conservative to be nominated. Is that asking too much?

Comment

• Warham
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

Besides, this announcement isn't going to keep the rabid press off of Karl Rove's leg. Bush is probably using Rove as a distraction so that his conservative nomination will go through without too much fanfare.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Warham
          You mean what used to be thought of as a radical.

And I agree, the ROVE stench isn't going anywhere.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

To replace Rehnquist, no. To replace O'Connor, yes. To replace Stevens.... I'll overthrow the fucking government before that happens.

In other words, leave the makeup of the court as it is now. In terms of appointments, it's overwhelmingly Republican as is. A court entirely composed of the radical right does not serve the American people.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Warham
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Mar 2004

So Bush will win on both counts. His nomination will go through, and Karl Rove will come out of this unscathed.

Pure genius, I say. I wonder if Rove comes up with this stuff in his sleep.

Comment

• Warham
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                To replace Rehnquist, no. To replace O'Connor, yes. To replace Stevens.... I'll overthrow the fucking government before that happens.
                I won't rest until we get nine originalists on the Court, all of a mind similar to the brilliant Scalia and Thomas.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I won't rest until we get nine originalists on the Court, all of a mind similar to the brilliant Scalia and Thomas.
                  Eeeggads! Judge JOHN G. ROBERTS, an appellate court judge, born in BUFFALO, is supposedly the pick CNN reports.

He's described as "a little to the right" of O'CONNOR.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

He clerked for Rehnquist.

One of the "good 'ole boys."
                    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Here's some "highlights" of Roberts' record....

Civil Rights and Liberties

For a unanimous panel, denied the weak civil rights claims of a 12-year-old girl who was arrested and handcuffed in a Washington, D.C., Metro station for eating a French fry. Roberts noted that "no one is very happy about the events that led to this litigation" and that the Metro authority had changed the policy that led to her arrest. (Hedgepeth v. Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, 2004).
                      In private practice, wrote a friend-of-the-court brief arguing that Congress had failed to justify a Department of Transportation affirmative action program. (Adarand Constructors, Inc. v. Mineta, 2001).

For Reagan, opposed a congressional effort—in the wake of the 1980 Supreme Court decision Mobile v. Bolden—to make it easier for minorities to successfully argue that their votes had been diluted under the Voting Rights Act.

Separation of Church and State
                      For Bush I, co-authored a friend-of-the-court brief arguing that public high-school graduation programs could include religious ceremonies. The Supreme Court disagreed by a vote of 5-4. (Lee v. Weisman, 1992)

Environmental Protection and Property Rights
                      Voted for rehearing in a case about whether a developer had to take down a fence so that the arroyo toad could move freely through its habitat. Roberts argued that the panel was wrong to rule against the developer because the regulations on behalf of the toad, promulgated under the Endangered Species Act, overstepped the federal government's power to regulate interstate commerce. At the end of his opinion, Roberts suggested that rehearing would allow the court to "consider alternative grounds" for protecting the toad that are "more consistent with Supreme Court precedent." (Rancho Viejo v. Nortion, 2003)
                      For Bush I, argued that environmental groups concerned about mining on public lands had not proved enough about the impact of the government's actions to give them standing to sue. The Supreme Court adopted this argument. (Lujan v. National Wildlife Federation, 1990)

Criminal Law
                      Joined a unanimous opinion ruling that a police officer who searched the trunk of a car without saying that he was looking for evidence of a crime (the standard for constitutionality) still conducted the search legally, because there was a reasonable basis to think contraband was in the trunk, regardless of whether the officer was thinking in those terms. (U.S. v. Brown, 2004)

Habeas Corpus
                      Joined a unanimous opinion denying the claim of a prisoner who argued that by tightening parole rules in the middle of his sentence, the government subjected him to an unconstitutional after-the-fact punishment. The panel reversed its decision after a Supreme Court ruling directly contradicted it. (Fletcher v. District of Columbia, 2004)

Abortion
                      For Bush I, successfully helped argue that doctors and clinics receiving federal funds may not talk to patients about abortion. (Rust v. Sullivan, 1991)

Judicial Philosophy
                      Concurring in a decision allowing President Bush to halt suits by Americans against Iraq as the country rebuilds, Roberts called for deference to the executive and for a literal reading of the relevant statute. (Acree v. Republic of Iraq, 2004)
                      In an article written as a law student, argued that the phrase "just compensation" in the Fifth Amendment, which limits the government in the taking of private property, should be "informed by changing norms of justice." This sounds like a nod to liberal constitutional theory, but Rogers' alternative interpretation was more protective of property interests than Supreme Court law at the time.

John G. Roberts Jr.,2005,ACLU,Alliance for Justice,Anthony Kennedy,Antonin Scalia,Bill Clinton,Clarence Thomas,Congress,Constitution,Constitution of the United States of America

yep, sounds just like the type of repressive 12 century asshole one would expect from this Fraudministration.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• academic punk
                        Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Better start brewing that coffee now.

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2004

It's Roberts!

No bitch!
                          http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
                          http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Roberts contributed $1000 to the Florida Felony in 2000????

Payoff for his part in the Coup which betrayed our Democracy....

Oh yeah, this is nice......

And believe me, if that dirt was easy enough to find, every conflict of interest involving this motherfucking piece of shit will surface by tomorrow morning........
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

LOL!
                              http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
                              http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

Working...