Thread: Oh No! Blues Great Little Milton Died!!!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

Unhappy Oh No! Blues Great Little Milton Died!!!

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Blues singer, songwriter and guitarist "Little" Milton Campbell, whose gritty vocals and songwriting recalled B.B. King's rough-edged style, died on Thursday from a stroke, his record company said.

The 71-year-old Grammy-nominated guitarist and singer known for writing and recording the blues anthem "The Blues Is Alright" never awoke from a coma following a stroke he suffered on July 27 in Memphis, said Valarie Kashimura of The Malaco Music Group.

"We've lost a great soldier," Kashimura said.

Born to sharecropping farmers near the Mississippi Delta town of Inverness -- his father, "Big" Milton Campbell, was a local blues musician -- "Little" Milton picked up a guitar at age 12 and recorded his first hit for Sam Phillips' Sun Records at age 18. It was the same year the Memphis label recorded Elvis Presley for the first time.

Discovered by blues-rock pioneer Ike Turner, Campbell went on to score dozens of rhythm and blues hits and was inducted into the Blues Hall of Fame in 1988.

Though acclaimed in blues circles, Campbell never achieved the fame of King and some other American bluesmen. Nevertheless, his nearly constant touring took him all over the world.

After signing with Bobbin Records in East St. Louis, Illinois, Campbell recorded "I'm a Lonely Man" and "That Will Never Do." A long association with Chicago's Chess Records produced the 1965 hit "We're Gonna Make It," which coincided with the civil rights movement. Other hits included "Baby I Love You," "If Walls Could Talk," "Feel So Bad," "Who's Cheating Who?" and "Grits Ain't Groceries."

"Annie Mae's Cafe" and "Little Bluebird" were hits he recorded with Memphis' Stax Records, which he joined in 1971 before the label's demise. Most recently, he recorded for The Malaco Music Group in Jackson, Mississippi, for whom he produced albums entitled "Your Wife is Cheating on Us" and "A Nickel and a Nail."

R.I.P MY BROTHAH!!!!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2014 @ 08:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Damn that sucks. My hat off to another fallen blues legend. I bet Loons is in deep mourning.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dammit....there are so few left....BB King is the most well-known....Johnny Shines is gone

Honeyboy Edwards and Pinetop Perkins are both in their 90s....it is a miracle they are still around.

Man I got to see Pinetop play just 10 months ago at the King Biscuit Blues Festival in Helena, Arkansas, about an hour south of Memphis.

That motherfucker started playing professionally in 1926....7 fucking years before my DAD was born!

He kicked some serious ass for his age!

Wow, I just found out that there is a bio of Honeyboy Edwards called "The World Don't Owe Me Nothing: The Life and Times of Delta Bluesman Honeyboy Edwards" by David Honeyboy Edwards as told to Janis Martinson and Michael Robert Frank. Chicago Review Press,1997

Sadly, it is only a matter of time before these two are gone.

And after BB goes, the only GREAT bluesman left (in the public's eye) with a link to the 1st and 2nd generation of great bluesmen will be Buddy Guy...and I am seeing him play here NEXT THURSDAY! WOOHOO!!!

Honeyboy is the last living link to the late, great Robert Johnson.

Ahhh..dem blooze sho 'nuff be cool...

Thanks forthe dream.- DLR
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-19-2021 @ 12:39 AM
    Status
    Thanks

yes. Sadly, many of the greats are gone and those who are still with us are getting up there and barely making music.

(with the exception of Guy and King and maybe a handful of others...Etta James is still out there too)

We do have some younger generation blues masters, but not like these guys. Its not the real thing, as good as they are.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I met Albert King about 6 months before he died.

Met BB King, Buddy Guy....and that is about it....haha a little name dropping....

Honeyboy played here about a year and a half ago and I did not know it until the day after he was here...

The Ox
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-27-2012 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

A blues thread, and no sign of Loons The Great!

Loons The Great
    R.I.P. Little Milton

So many of the greats a long gone...Law'd have mercy...

Thread Information