Thread: New VH book w/EVH tribute!

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Anyone heard 'bout the new VH book comin' out?!?!?

Long time roth army soldier, first time poster. A buddy of mine told me 'bout a new VH book that's being released soon. Like, in the next month or so in fact. Apparently, there's a post about it over in the "Main Discussion" at the VH Forums, Links, or whatever the hell the name is.

It's supposed to cover the band's entire career, music, and so on. It also includes a tribute to EVH from, like, more than 100 of the world's greatest players. I hear everyone from Zakk Wylde to Steve Vai participated. Sounds pretty sick, to me. I also read that it even includes a foreword by Brian May of Queen?!?!

If all that's true, shit, it sounds like it's cracked up to be one helluva read. However, one of the coolest things is that the dude who wrote it is supposedly just a fan for cryin' out loud?!?!? Another really cool thing I heard is that the book actually has a section that clearly points out the fact that VH sold more albums with Diamond Dave than with Sammy!!!! Jesus H. Christ, FINALLY someone gets it's right and tells it like it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amen.
    Last edited by ColombianNektie; 08-02-2005 at 10:34 AM.

SHEEP PEN-JUNKHEAD
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    How in the hell did nobody respond to this thread?

DLR7884
    Anyone have any info on this thing?
    Originally Posted by WARF:
    DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I dunno. I'm pretty shocked myself. Perhaps I shoulda titled the thread "Spammy comes outta the closet!!" or something!?!? Hell, I just figured I'd post about it cuz I'm shocked that no one on these forums has posted about that book. My buddy told me it's already been posted over at that vh forums site for like 2 or 3 weeks now, and that literally thousands of people have already viewed it. I swear, the word of mouth alone on that book amongst die hard VH heads appears to be pretty good. Which is why I'm so surprised that not a single post has been made about it here??!? I'll definitely do a bit more digging and talk to my bud. Soon as I get some solid info on it, I'll post it here. I'm not a member of that site, but you don't have to be a member to read the posts, as is the case on this site and most other sites.
    Last edited by ColombianNektie; 08-03-2005 at 02:31 AM.

SHEEP PEN-JUNKHEAD
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Lifted from www.vhlinks.com

"Alright ladies and germs, here's the lowdown. After 2 freakin' years of hard work (and a lifetime of being a VH fan, of course) I've finally completed my book on the Mighty Van Halen. It's a 400 page labor-of-love and I think ya'll will really enjoy it. Basically, it's a comprehensive guide to the amazing history, music, impact & influence of VH.

However, the coolest part is the TRIBUTE section. Simply put, over 100 of the world's greatest musicians came forward to share their thoughts, memories and stories about EVH. There's plenty of commentary on the band, too, of course. It's insane. In fact, here's a small sampling of the more than 100 bad-asses who came forward and participated in the tribute:

Zakk Wylde, Steve Vai, James Hetfield, Allan Holdsworth, Tony Levin, Jeff Berlin, Jason Becker, Mark Tremonti, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Ted Nugent, Adrian Belew, the late great Dimebag Darrell, Jeff Mantas, John McLaughlin, Jim Root, Steve Lynch, Joe Satriani, Scott Henderson, Steve Lukather, Bela Fleck, Trey Gunn, Dave Navarro, John 5, Steve Howe, Kerry King, Michael & Rudolph Schenker, Wayne Kramer.

Not to mention the fact that Brian May of Queen did the Foreword to the book. Freakin' unbelievable. Oh, and almost another 100 musicians --from Slash to T. Iommi to L. West to P. Metheny to J. Page to J. Beck-- are represented throughout the rest of the book with quotes I located from interviews and so forth. So overall, the book is brimming with commentary from about 200 of the world's greatest, baby.

This was a totally independent effort by a fan--me--for the fans. It's for any and all true VH fans, true fans of hard rock and metal, and true fans of guitar. The book should be ready to go in just about a month or two, so I'll keep ya'll posted. Also, keep your eyes on the VHND cuz there will be a write up comin' there, too. That's all that's fit to print...for now. But if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to hit me up...either through a PM or at Sonicninja9@aol.com

Thanks so much for your time..."

The guy goes on to say that it should be out August/September. It will be available at thousands of online sites.

DLR7884
    Looks like a good read.

SHEEP PEN-JUNKHEAD
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The dude said that he's 99.9% sure the title will be "The Mighty Van Halen."

DLR7884
    I wonder if it will be more DLR or Spam...or if it's a book that is gonna kiss EVH's ass?

SHEEP PEN-JUNKHEAD
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Shit.

I read a few pages further.

It's going to be called "Van Halen: 101"

DLR7884
    Zloz is letting him use a picture (must be Dave era) for the cover.

the one and only
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Of course Dave will be on the cover-he wants the book to sell! Question remains about what will be inside?

And I didn't read the thread at first because I thought it was another dupe thread on the EVH guitar book thats supposed to be coming out.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You kick major ass DLR 7884!!! Goddamn!! Well done. Yeah, I read through it myself a bit and I dig the title of "Van Halen 101." Pretty clever. The best part however is that the book is apparently far from basic. The title appears to be a play on words cuz the book is hundreds of pages and it's said to be a "comprehensive guide." Sounds impressive, no doubt about it. One of my buds said it doesn't sound like some cliche', tabloid, mud-slinging book. It seems to focus on their entire career and impact, on their music, and a good amount of focus on Ed, obviously. Gosh, I'd love to know who's gonna be on the cover? Is it Classic VH? If the author got a Zloz pic for the cover, you know it has to be Classic VH. Although it could just be a pic of Eddie, too?!?!? Either way, you can't go wrong with a Zloz pic.

Speaking of which I heard about that other book comin' out about EVH. I think that one is really just an instruction book on how to play like Eddie, with some basic info attached. Sounds alright, but this VH 101 shit sounds absofuckinlutely amazing. Shit, I'll buy it just to see what Brian May and the 100 musicians have to say about Ed!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I heard it was gonna involve alot of evh and roth. At the time i didnt know the title. there is another book in the works to be released around the same time.

I expect it to be really good. we can only hope Long live the Might van halen!!

(not van hagar)

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It sounds like an interesting read.

I know they say never judge a book by its cover.

but I mean...who would think,hmmm, could be a kool read if they see the toastmaster general on the cover.

and who would think,hmmm, i'm all outta toilet paper, is this stuff soft, if they saw the red rocker on the cover

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hey DLR7884, we should redo this post, man. Well, what I mean to say is, YOU should redo it! Seriously. Like, just start a new thread and title it something like "New VH book w/EVH tribute, here's the details" or some shit like that. I mean, damn, you were able to cut-and-paste the post from that VH site over here. Frankly, I'm to damn computer illiterate to pull that shit off! Even though I've already gotten about 100 hits, I still think the response woulda been much greater had my damn thread title been different. You know, "Anyone heard bout new VH book comin' out?" was a simple honest question, but if you post a new thread witha new title and all that info you took from the VH site, I'm sure it would do a helluva lot better than this thread. If not, please tell me how to cut-and-paste that info and I'll do it!!!

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fuck I should sue, I had a forum on my site called Van Halen 101 years ago.

Yeah sounds like a pretty interesting book. I've talked to the author about it, sounds like a good book actually.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Updated!

Excellent stuff Nektie!

Sounds promising....hope it's objective.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Anytime my brotha. I knew this sounded like a major deal, so I finally quit being a slacker and decided to post about it. However, we should really thank DLR7884 for updating the title of my thread and for getting all the details on the book. So thanks DLR7884.

SHEEP PEN-JUNKHEAD
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    No problem. I don't know how I didn't notice this thread sooner!

I think that most people probably were under the impression that this was the new EVH book.

DLR7884
    Thanks again for sharing....welcome to the ARMY!

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by DLR7884
    No problem. I don't know how I didn't notice this thread sooner!

I think that most people probably were under the impression that this was the new EVH book.
    exactly...thanx for sharing! btw a forword from brian may makes sence as he is one of the few people edward made a record with (starflete project) besides van halen
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A foreword by Brian May is most definitely impressive. Sure, the fact Brian collaborated with EVH on the Starfleet Project back in the early 80s definitely gives him credibility in the sense that he's worked with Eddie and seen what he can do up close. But just the simple fact that's it's BRIAN FUCKING MAY OF QUEEN is enough! We're talking about a legendary musician in his own right, from a legendary band.

I've always felt the foreword for a book is pretty important. It sets the tone and let's you know whether a book is credible or not. I highly doubt Brian May would have participated had this book not been a solid, class effort. For me, just reading the phrase "foreword by Brian May" commands my full attention and makes me wanna check this book out.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ColombianNektie
    A foreword by Brian May is most definitely impressive.[...]For me, just reading the phrase "foreword by Brian May" commands my full attention and makes me wanna check this book out.
    definitely! btw...welcome to the army and the first big 5 from me

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Back at ya big dog! Actually, it's kinda funny to be "welcomed" here cuz I been comin' to this site for a good 2 or 3 years! Howevever, I did pop my cherry, so to speak, haha, and make my first post. So I appreciate the hospitality. I just saw the chance to break the news on what sounds like a pretty cool book.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    so it was a good decision...and many newbies get their ass flamed after their first post as a "warm welcome"

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Definitely gonna check this out.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
    so it was a good decision...and many newbies get their ass flamed after their first post as a "warm welcome"
    I bet!

I guess since my first post wasn't a stupid one I was actually spared the flaming! But hey, if I got my azz flamed, shit, I'd take it like a man, damnit!

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yo DLR7884, I was cruising through the Guitar World website yesterday and saw a post about this book over there too! It's in their Messageboard under the "Night of the Living Shred" forum. You should work your magic, bring it on back here and paste it!

Dang, the author of the book has done his homework and is hittin up all the right sites. The post over there is even more detailed than the one at that vh forums site. It also appears one of the editors of GW got an advanced copy of the book and liked it. He gave it his stamp of approval and even said so in a post in the thread about the book.
    If someone at GW says it's good, that seals the deal for me. Between that and the Brian May foreword, bring it on!

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I hope to god they give the Cherone era the respect it deserves.

Right? RIGHT?????

***Crickets Chirping***

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    BWAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

That was funny. Nothin personal against Gary. Looks like a nice guy and all, but lord almighty does that even qualify as an "era"?!?!??!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Will be checking out the feedback you guys give after the book is released. If it's an ass-kissing tribute that posits the theory that 'Ed is Van Halen', which is basically Guitar World's tack on it, then I'll give it a miss.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, I feel you. But of course GW is gonna take that stance. After all their name is GUITAR world, not DRUM world, BASS world or FRONTMAN world! Joking aside, I've always felt that VH was a true band. But obviously Ed gets a lot of attention. In my opinion, its well deserved. I guess we'll see how the book reads. I've heard this book points out the fact they sold more records with Dave than with Spammy. So the author obviously did his homework and had the cojones to tell the truth. It's cool they didn't follow the majority of the media and music press who continously shovel bullshit down our throats by constantly selling everyone on the idea VH got bigger and sold more with Spammy.

Thread Information